Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Seriously, every time I go there, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. For example I just read this in a thread about mortal vs venial sin:

"STOP!!! Missing mass is a mortal sin. You go to hell for it, unless you are literally physically incapable of attending. You are Catholic and should know this.

I REPEAT.... MISSING MASS IS A MORTAL SIN THAT RENDERS ONE INCAPABLE OF ENTERING HEAVEN IF HE OR SHE DIES BEFORE GOING TO CONFESSION!!!"

You can't reason with people like that. I still read the aaa section, but I don't participate any more. Obob is better. Fewer people so you get to know who you're dealing with.

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Maybe their delivery is off the mark, but their is some truth to the matter:

The Sunday Eucharist is the foundation and confirmation of all Christian practice. For this reason the faithful are obliged to participate in the Eucharist on days of obligation, unless excused for a serious reason (for example, illness, the care of infants) or dispensed by their own pastor. Those who deliberately fail in this obligation commit a grave sin.

Though, I wouldn't go as far as to say that is enough to condemn one to Hell (No one should posit what God will or will not do), and you are allowed to miss Mass for other reasons besides just being ill.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's true regarding being a mortal sin - but the delivery is a bit overkill.

Bad weather is another reason one may miss Mass. But if it is just because you dont feel like it, well then, one needs to speak to a priest about such personal feelings. But the idea that skipping is acceptable except for dire reasons - one needs to reflect on advice from their priest.

It should be about the place of where the Lord is in one's heart. It's not a chore - and shouldnt be.
It should be desired - and loved - for it to work in one's life and obtain graces from doing so.

Upvote 0

Fran75

May 3, 2011
Mason Dixon line
✟8,809.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Seriously, every time I go there, I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. For example I just read this in a thread about mortal vs venial sin:

"STOP!!! Missing mass is a mortal sin. You go to hell for it, unless you are literally physically incapable of attending. You are Catholic and should know this.

I REPEAT.... MISSING MASS IS A MORTAL SIN THAT RENDERS ONE INCAPABLE OF ENTERING HEAVEN IF HE OR SHE DIES BEFORE GOING TO CONFESSION!!!"

You can't reason with people like that. I still read the aaa section, but I don't participate any more. Obob is better. Fewer people so you get to know who you're dealing with.

Hardline thinking like this is what turns ppl off from Catholicism. I'm not saying we should water it down to attract as many ppl as possible but a religion where you will go to hell for missing church, sign me up! I work a lot of 12 weekend shift and so don't go to Church every week if this is true I might as well throw in the towel now and join my husband's (Protestant) church, all I need to do to go to heaven there is to be "saved".

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
One of the common problems at CAF is that many of the people are new converts, some having come from evangelical fundamentalist religions. They bring their fundamentalist ways with them into Catholicism.

Also, many have a ego-identity attached to Catholicism, and when anyone questions Catholicism, they become offended because it's their ego that is threatened, not the Church, which questions can never harm.

CAF and sometimes this forum, can suck the spiritual life out of you.

It's good to take a break from either or both from time to time.

Jim

Upvote 0

St_Barnabus

Secular Carmelite OCDS
Jun 6, 2008
Midwest USA
✟54,616.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
One of the common problems at CAF is that many of the people are new converts, some having come from evangelical fundamentalist religions. They bring their fundamentalist ways with them into Catholicism.

Have you noticed the large number of threads lately on hell? What terrible obsessions and scrupulosity people have!

I have also found in some of my searches that there are a lot of very young posters! One the other day said he was 14. That in itself, isn't problematic, but they are barely out of the womb, yet believe they are capable of teaching everyone else how to live and what to believe. It is very discouraging, and there is no rule that says they need to disclose their age. We need to be watchful.

Reactions: MikeK
Upvote 0

Tallguy88

We shall see the King when he comes!
Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Brooklyn Knight said:
Maybe their delivery is off the mark, but their is some truth to the matter:

Though, I wouldn't go as far as to say that is enough to condemn one to Hell (No one should posit what God will or will not do), and you are allowed to miss Mass for other reasons besides just being ill.

It's not this issue that bugs me. It's the super hardcore rhetoric that's used by many. It was just this post that bugged me this time.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Have you noticed the large number of threads lately on hell? What terrible obsessions and scrupulosity people have!

I have also found in some of my searches that there are a lot of very young posters! One the other day said he was 14. That in itself, isn't problematic, but they are barely out of the womb, yet believe they are capable of teaching everyone else how to live and what to believe. It is very discouraging, and there is no rule that says they need to disclose their age. We need to be watchful.

Yes, lots of doubts about making it to heaven and fears of hell. Not much joy about salvation, which a Christian should have.

Again, young converts, especially those who come from non-Catholic families, often convert as a means of rebellion and an ego stroking exercise.

When being a Catholic no longer draws attention for them, they begin to struggle and doubt what they previously shoved into everyone's faces.

Anyway, a break from CAF is always a refreshing exercise.

Of course I usually get suspended so I get my breaks unexpectedly. :D

Jim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
WarriorAngel said:
It's true regarding being a mortal sin - but the delivery is a bit overkill.

Bad weather is another reason one may miss Mass. But if it is just because you dont feel like it, well then, one needs to speak to a priest about such personal feelings. But the idea that skipping is acceptable except for dire reasons - one needs to reflect on advice from their priest.

It should be about the place of where the Lord is in one's heart. It's not a chore - and shouldnt be.
It should be desired - and loved - for it to work in one's life and obtain graces from doing so.

Sometime it feels like a chore to go, but when I go, I'm always glad I went.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Fran75 said:
Hardline thinking like this is what turns ppl off from Catholicism. I'm not saying we should water it down to attract as many ppl as possible but a religion where you will go to hell for missing church, sign me up! I work a lot of 12 weekend shift and so don't go to Church every week if this is true I might as well throw in the towel now and join my husband's (Protestant) church, all I need to do to go to heaven there is to be "saved".

My yoke is light...

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Adam Warlock said:
It's possible that even participating at CAF is a sin, considering how badly they have treated so many of their members

A few years ago, they banned nearly every active eastern orthodox poster because they were so good at defending orthodoxy that Catholics were converting.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It's not this issue that bugs me. It's the super hardcore rhetoric that's used by many. It was just this post that bugged me this time.

People mean well - but often times for lack of skill or comprehension of how they come off - it is a fault. It's not that they mean [or i should hope not] to be off putting, but sometimes they lack boundaries.

Chalk it up to well meaning - but lack of precision.

As i said - though it is truth - one should desire in their heart to be near God and not view Church as some chore or to do list. IMHO anyway.

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
JimR-OCDS said:

Also, many have a ego-identity attached to Catholicism, and when anyone questions Catholicism, they become offended because it's their ego that is threatened, not the Church, which questions can never harm.

Jim

Convertitis. I used to have it a bit, but thankfully it's mellowed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sometime it feels like a chore to go, but when I go, I'm always glad I went.
Indeed - it's normal to battle the spirit and flesh.
When we go, the spirit rejoices.
Keep feeding the soul... it definitely pays.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,298,429.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
A few years ago, they banned nearly every active eastern orthodox poster because they were so good at defending orthodoxy that Catholics were converting.

Not just the Orthodox - Eastern Catholics got the heave ho too :)

Upvote 0

Tallguy88

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
✟240,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
AMDG said:
But the New Testament speaks of sin this way--Sins that separate us from God and those that don't (1 John 5:16-17). And willfully missing Mass (for no proper reason) is considered a mortal sin, so there's no error in facts (just in delivery).

I agree. I think she meant the always one kind of sin without exception. Even ordinarily venial sins can become mortal under the right conditions. And vice versa.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟441,719.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I am a member... though its been years since i actually ever posted.

Big crowd - big pond. I dont mind being a small fish - but eh - i dont think folks even noticed i was a blip on the radar. :)
Which is fine. I kept out of trouble. Maybe no one noticed much since i didnt make waves.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.