Chattanooga, Tennessee
✟41,497.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
What stood out for me is the huge hypocrisy regarding the Dr. Pepper condemnation with the simultaneous hypocrisy of the chocolate cake, and their reaction to you pointing it out.

This is a HUGE red flag.

For many many reasons.

redflag-animated.gif

Yes it is.
I don't think it was intended hypocrisy though. Sometimes legalist get so tied up in their rules that, they forget that Living for Christ is about living for Him abundantly. With all the grace that He gives us and the mercy He gives us.

If you are getting feed the Word there and you feel that God is there. I won't tell you to leave the church. I will tell you this. As one posted earlier. Go to God, ask Him to guide you and if He wants you to go somewhere else then He will open the door for you to go.

It's hard today to find a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing, God fearing, Holy Ghost filled church today.

Study God's word. Put His precepts before man's. He may want you to hang there, to be the one to point out these things you've written about. If something a brother does to be a stumbling block to you, then you should go to that person and speak to them, after prayer of course.

The Church of God, made a lot of changes, because the members read God's Word and confronted the Pastors and leaders of the Church, in a loving Godly way and said "Hey, this isn't' biblical". Nor is it even in the bible..."Like, it used to be sinful for a woman to wear knee-high stockings in the church" or "Women had to wear dresses down to the ankles, covering their wrist and up to the neck." These things were intended for good, to keep modesty in the church. But it was a hindrance to some, so they removed these things. Telling those who wanted to dress in holiness, or not, let it be between that person and God.
Today, though, there are things women wear to church they wouldn't wear going out for dinner. But still it's between them and God.

I had a young woman once in our Church come to me and asked me what I thought about her wearing jeans. Now, she is a beautiful young lady and God blessed her with that beauty. She also was seeking out God and trying to have that closer walk with Him, she felt as if she wasn't getting anywhere. Then she came to me about the jeans. All I said to Her is this: "That's not for me to say." "But I'll answer your question with a question, How do you think you should dress in the presence of God?"
From that day forward, she never wore jeans again. Had nothing to do with me. It was between Her and God.

Serve God first. Seek Him first. Trust Him

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes it is.
I don't think it was intended hypocrisy though. Sometimes legalist get so tied up in their rules that, they forget that Living for Christ is about living for Him abundantly. With all the grace that He gives us and the mercy He gives us.

If you are getting feed the Word there and you feel that God is there. I won't tell you to leave the church. I will tell you this. As one posted earlier. Go to God, ask Him to guide you and if He wants you to go somewhere else then He will open the door for you to go.

It's hard today to find a Bible-preaching, Bible-believing, God fearing, Holy Ghost filled church today.

Study God's word. Put His precepts before man's. He may want you to hang there, to be the one to point out these things you've written about. If something a brother does to be a stumbling block to you, then you should go to that person and speak to them, after prayer of course.

The Church of God, made a lot of changes, because the members read God's Word and confronted the Pastors and leaders of the Church, in a loving Godly way and said "Hey, this isn't' biblical". Nor is it even in the bible..."Like, it used to be sinful for a woman to wear knee-high stockings in the church" or "Women had to wear dresses down to the ankles, covering their wrist and up to the neck." These things were intended for good, to keep modesty in the church. But it was a hindrance to some, so they removed these things. Telling those who wanted to dress in holiness, or not, let it be between that person and God.
Today, though, there are things women wear to church they wouldn't wear going out for dinner. But still it's between them and God.

I had a young woman once in our Church come to me and asked me what I thought about her wearing jeans. Now, she is a beautiful young lady and God blessed her with that beauty. She also was seeking out God and trying to have that closer walk with Him, she felt as if she wasn't getting anywhere. Then she came to me about the jeans. All I said to Her is this: "That's not for me to say." "But I'll answer your question with a question, How do you think you should dress in the presence of God?"
From that day forward, she never wore jeans again. Had nothing to do with me. It was between Her and God.

Serve God first. Seek Him first. Trust Him

If they seriously get tied up in knots over Dr Pepper while chompin' on choc'late cake, yes, that's scary.

If there's THAT much seriousness over a Dr Pepper what are they going to do when there are more serious issues?

What is scary, is how off-kilter some can get when not adhering to God's Word, and are bereft of the wisdom to be discerning, wise, and understand what grace is, and the crucial-ness of it in the Body of Christ.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know what to believe anymore. I grew up in a particular denomination all my life and never questioned any of their teachings. This is probably the largest pentecostal denomination in India. After reading scripture with an open mind in the past few years I have seen many unbiblical rules and regulations in the church. To give you an idea here are some.

1. Taking medicine will defile your body. I didn't for most of my life and there were many instances where I was healed miraculously after the church leaders/believers prayed.
2. Ban on getting married to a person from another denomination. If you do, you'll be excommunicated for 6 months and will not be let in unless you ask forgiveness before the congregation.
3. Ban on wearing jewelry
4. Ban on wine/alcohol
5. Ban on attending other churches
6. Television is banned
7. Church leaders must be unmarried and this is mandatory. If a married couple steps to do full time ministry, they'll be kept apart in 2 different churches.
8. Ban on publishing church materials like sermons online.
9. Ban on sharing photographs of church leaders online/whatsapp
10. They have a doctrine called "doctrine of Zion" where they claim 1,44,000 church leaders like themselves who have given up worldly possessions and live as celibates will inherit a place in eternity called "Zion" which is closest to God and the rest of the believers will inherit a place called "New Jerusalem".
11. We look down on other Christians as not having the "complete truth" and think we are the best church there is.
12. I was conditioned into thinking any believer who wears jewelry was a "worldly christian".

They sound like they have isolated themselves and that congregation too long. I think the prayer of faith can result in miracles but celibacy isn't going to make you more holy or better equipped for ministry. Yes Paul remained single and there are eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven but what they are teaching i is ridiculous. The 144,000 are from the twelve tribes of Israel and unless that church has an extraordinary population of Messianic Jews they're grossly distorting the Scriptures. What's more the 144,000 are virgins going into the Millineal kingdom yet there is no mention of them being translated, raptured or ressurected. Along with the Jews who survive the wrath of the antichrist they will inhabit the New Jersalum. For all we know they are just saving themselves for marriage after the tribulation.

But the problem is most of these things aren't in writing. All of their sermons are about how to live a holy life and how to be like Jesus. All of their preaching is always centered on being like Jesus. If you read their publications, you will not see what's said between the lines unless you're a member. They never explicitly say they are the best church but say any church with leaders who are consecrated (celibacy, giving up earthly possessions, leaving earthly relations etc) will be the best church.

I sure hope you own a Bible because you really need to do an extensive study of justification by Grace through faith. You have encountered something that has plagued the church down through the centuries, it's called a works righteousness. Ephesians 2 and Colosians 3 are generally adequet to understand it but I would suggest Roman 4 thru 8. Since you believe in prayer those five chapters under the Spirits guidance could give you some powerfull insights into What to watch out for in The future.[/quote]

Grace and peace
Mark

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what to believe anymore. I grew up in a particular denomination all my life and never questioned any of their teachings. This is probably the largest pentecostal denomination in India. After reading scripture with an open mind in the past few years I have seen many unbiblical rules and regulations in the church. To give you an idea here are some.

1. Taking medicine will defile your body. I didn't for most of my life and there were many instances where I was healed miraculously after the church leaders/believers prayed.
2. Ban on getting married to a person from another denomination. If you do, you'll be excommunicated for 6 months and will not be let in unless you ask forgiveness before the congregation.
4. Ban on wine/alcohol
6. Television is banned
7. Church leaders must be unmarried and this is mandatory. If a married couple steps to do full time ministry, they'll be kept apart in 2 different churches.
10. They have a doctrine called "doctrine of Zion" where they claim 1,44,000 church leaders like themselves who have given up worldly possessions and live as celibates will inherit a place in eternity called "Zion" which is closest to God and the rest of the believers will inherit a place called "New Jerusalem".
11. We look down on other Christians as not having the "complete truth" and think we are the best church there is.
12. I was conditioned into thinking any believer who wears jewelry was a "worldly christian".

But the problem is most of these things aren't in writing. All of their sermons are about how to live a holy life and how to be like Jesus. All of their preaching is always centered on being like Jesus. If you read their publications, you will not see what's said between the lines unless you're a member. They never explicitly say they are the best church but say any church with leaders who are consecrated (celibacy, giving up earthly possessions, leaving earthly relations etc) will be the best church.

I can't argue with them because they will quote 1 Cor 7 where Paul says those who are married will be worried about pleasing their wives and so the best church is the one where ministers are unmarried and can give full attention to the believers. They will also quote Jesus says some have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of God. They will ask me to show any other ministry with such a consecration.

I have never had a bad experience with them. Whenever I was sick they've come and prayed for me even in the dead of night. They are the most loving people I know.

But then I think of some of their teachings and elitism I feel like they're wrong.

What you've described above is has no biblical backing. They are not only wrong (unbiblical) in their thinking and practice, but remaining in such an environment could potentially harm you.

As others have pointed out already, this seems much more like a cult than a church of Christ.

Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian

4. Ban on wine/alcohol
6. Television is banned

I can't argue with them because they will quote 1 Cor 7 where Paul says those who are married will be worried about pleasing their wives and so the best church is the one where ministers are unmarried and can give full attention to the believers. They will also quote Jesus says some have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of God. They will ask me to show any other ministry with such a consecration.

I have never had a bad experience with them. Whenever I was sick they've come and prayed for me even in the dead of night. They are the most loving people I know.

But then I think of some of their teachings and elitism I feel like they're wrong.

1Tim 4:
1 The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons.
2 Such teachings come through hypocritical liars, whose consciences have been seared as with a hot iron.
3 They forbid people to marry and order them to abstain from certain foods, which God created to be received with thanksgiving by those who believe and who know the truth.
4 For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,
5 because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer.
6 If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed.

Upvote 0

corinth77777

learner
Nov 15, 2013
✟99,135.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

4. Ban on wine/alcohol
6. Television is banned

Trust Jesus...pray, love, sing hyms, repent when needed...Just seek him and read the Bible for yourself.........

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Oh no. I just uploaded a random picture as my avatar. Nothing to do with my beliefs. I never knew that about the star of David. Thanks. Changed it now.

Yes I'm praying about it. I have begun to attend a non-denominational church the past few weeks after 6 years of wrestling with this issue. I haven't informed my church yet. I'm sure they'll call me a backslider and make an example out of me.

Praying for you brother. Keep praying and ask God to give you wisdom in this.

Upvote 0

wayfaring man

Veteran
Jan 25, 2004
✟20,565.00
Faith
Non-Denom
As far as what to believe - The truth sits comfortably between the two extremes. Some teach 'easy believism', where little or nothing is required of us - just believe, and go with the flow!

Others impose a super strict way which leaves little room for being an individual who chooses to sacrifice of their own free will, because they see by faith the value of such sacrifices...therefore they make them in the hope of pleasing God and with the joy of having such an opportunity! And not because of coercive demands.

The Lord seeks a people who live uprightly with joy and gladdness.

This testifies that we have understanding of His Ways, and how beautifully blessed they are...

Ask for His Spirit to be your personal guide. See Luke 11

You're right about religious elitism being wrong...but so is being carnally worldly.

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
<---> Philippians 4:4-9

And May The Lord Be Magnified !

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
First of all, you need to understand that in THEIR minds, all their teachings ARE Biblical. They simply interpret scripture differently than you.

Now as to the Cognitive Dissonance, this is the state of mind one goes through when one is in the middle of transition to something new. IOW you will eventually leave because you don't fit there. Having had wonderful experiences there is not enough.

I grew up Evangelical. My fundamentalist mom and dad introduced me to Christ. The Evangelical churches we attended were warm and nurturing and helped me grow in Christ, and learn the Bible. But when I was 16 and began to learn about other denominations, I too began to experience Cognitive Dissonance. How could the churches I grew up in have helped my walk with the Lord so much, and yet be so mistaken about doctrine??? It took me 11 years of being confused, but eventually I became a Catholic Christian.

Upvote 0