• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

"I'm depressed. And I also brutally murdered my sister! Only one is true." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Umber

Aug 13, 2006
Sorgo
✟15,267.00
Faith
Other Religion
How do I come out to my parents that I'm depressed? I've felt awful for 3 years, I've self-harmed, have come worryingly close to taking my life twice, and am becoming slower, less intelligent, lethargic and...eurgh. I forgot my card PIN number, I've used the same one for 4 years.

It's destroying my life.

I've got the doctor to diagnose me, and I've been waiting for a counsellor for 1 and a half months. I see it as a formality before they put me on medication. -_-

How can I tell my parents? I need too, or they'll be cross when they find out.

bennyk

Jun 23, 2006
✟8,227.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
First of all, if you are uncomfortable telling them and you need a doctor to do it I am sure your doctor can do it for you over the phone. I don't think they will be cross if they hear it from a doctor. I am sure they are more concerned for your state of being than they are about you hiding it from them. If you do need to speak directly with them about it go up to them and tell them. It is the easiest and simplest way. If you have trouble confronting them for some reason, and I understand because I have depression and I have a hard time looking people in the eye, you can write them a note or something.

Upvote 0

FallingWaters

Woman of God
Mar 29, 2006
Maine
✟38,902.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
If you're afraid you'll be interrupted before you share your thoughts, you could write down what you want to say and let them read it.

BTW- requiring you to have a counsellor first before they give you meds is a very wise thing because I have heard that the meds don't heal depression all by themselves, they just get you well enough to seek counselling, which is where the true help comes from.

God be with you. Ask Him to give you the words.

Upvote 0

metherion

Veteran
Aug 14, 2006
✟13,623.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Another thing that might help you is to get a bunch of friends or fellow parishioners or whatnot that you feel you can trust to come over and help you tell your parents. Even if they are rather upset that you are depressed (which they shouldn't be), having a bunch of people backing you up can a) make YOU feel better about telling them because you have support, b) show your parents (and more importantly, yourself) that there ARE IN FACT people out there able and willing to help you through your problems, and c) letting people you can trust come over and help tell your parents gets people knowing about it, possibly volunteering to help you or maybe just pray for you, even anonymously. Just prayer can help a lot. But try to not use putting off telling them as a coping mechanism. It just makes it worse. There are two things to remember: 1, you can get help, and 2, the bad reactions you believe they will have might be part of your depression coloring what you believe they will do. I know that when I first had to tell my parents about my depression, they reacted much better than I thought they would, and I later found out that it was because I projecting a large part of my internal negativity into my 'future events planning brain functions' or whatever you wanna call them.

Good luck, and God Bless. You need it (<- not meant in any sort of mocking manner at all).

Metherion.

Reactions: PrairieGurl
Upvote 0

RaddMadd

Veteran
Jun 21, 2006
ohio
✟14,223.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Umber

Aug 13, 2006
Sorgo
✟15,267.00
Faith
Other Religion
I'm grateful for the advice. ^__^

Religion is not the answer for me, I don't understand it nor can I enjoy it.
Yet I had prior planned to have a friend round and was considering asking him to be with me while I told my parents.

I went a little overboard last night and there's some blood on my clothes. If/when my mother notices I'll probably have to explain anyhow. -_-

Thanks again for your help.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.