• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Trauma and my Personality

HoneyBee

Prodigal Daughter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2017
West Coast
✟198,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Trauma really did a number on my mental health. When it comes to my personality and the things that make up the very core of who I am, I couldn't really tell you much about who I am because I, honestly, don't have a very good sense of self... That is to say, I don't know who I am. I know basic information about myself, like my name, age, and other things that are concrete and can be verified. Anything else, though is difficult for me to put my finger on. I don't really know what my own hobbies are a lot of the time, what my likes and dislikes are, or even what my own beliefs are.

Growing up, I had to adjust my personality to fit whatever the person in charge wanted me to be. In essence, I created a lot of different masks for myself. All of the masks are superficial and lacking in much depth. As a result, I don't think I ever really developed a real personality to call my own. Instead, I just cycle through my many masks, hoping that they'll stick, but they never do. I'm in my mid-twenties now and it feels like I'll never gain a true personality. This is a terrible experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

But at the same time, I've been trying to pray more recently, that God may cure me of this horrible trauma response. It will take time, but perhaps in time I will finally have a true personality to call my own. And before anyone asks, yes I have a therapist... Although I've cycled through my fair share of therapists as well, mostly due to insurance issues, but also because of general impulsivity issues within myself.

Reactions: Sarah G
SplendidSeraphim
SplendidSeraphim
Thanks for sharing your traumas and experiences with us. God will absolutely heal you. Remember that healing doesn't look like a straight line, it's more like a squiggly line that goes back and forth. It's going to take time, but I believe healing is possible!
Upvote 0

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,561.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's the good thing about the Kingdom of God... As His children, we all have to go through some rehabilitation, in His Kingdom because of our nature.

Once our King takes over, His word will start to build Christ in us. The whole idea is for us to become more & more, like our husband King Jesus.

Upvote 0