If you feel it's OK to cook on Sabbath, why?

Sylvester

Aug 17, 2004
✟12,927.00
Faith
Christian
Note: I believe this issue pales in importance compared to other issues such as loving God and others with all our hearts. But at the same time, this issue does pop up from time to time because it's an everyday life thing and I've seen it get debated(more like argued) in my church. I stay out of it but then I realized I need to allow myself to be challenged and think things through rather than just stay out of such discussion.

I guess, in this thread I'd debate and answer questions which are raised. It'll be a good way to see if I know what I believe in and if my beliefs are truly consistent. And if someone makes a good point here that I don't know the answer to, I'll look to ask others in my 'camp' on what they think about that. I'm also thinking of asking what others think about this in the forum section for traditional Adventists.

I could do this in with my church members too but people from both sides tend to get very emotional very quickly. So I think this is better.

So then, if you feel it's OK to cook on Sabbath, why is that?

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Note: I believe this issue pales in importance compared to other issues such as loving God and others with all our hearts. But at the same time, this issue does pop up from time to time because it's an everyday life thing and I've seen it get debated(more like argued) in my church. I stay out of it but then I realized I need to allow myself to be challenged and think things through rather than just stay out of such discussion.

I guess, in this thread I'd debate and answer questions which are raised. It'll be a good way to see if I know what I believe in and if my beliefs are truly consistent. And if someone makes a good point here that I don't know the answer to, I'll look to ask others in my 'camp' on what they think about that. I'm also thinking of asking what others think about this in the forum section for traditional Adventists.

I could do this in with my church members too but people from both sides tend to get very emotional very quickly. So I think this is better.

It's good ... to do good, ... even on the Sabbath ...

Mark 3

1 And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand.

2 And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him.

3 And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth.

4 And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

5 And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

Upvote 0

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

I believe that rule is outlawed now. Actually, what's kind of strange about the whole thing is even if you didn't work on Sunday, you would still be doing it wrong. Saturday is the Sabbath Day and it was moved to Sunday. However, Sabbath Day isn't even a thing anymore. God has called us to keep it Holy but in a different way than before. He wants us to give that day to Him specifically, meaning go to church and pray to Him. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do this any other day, He is basically telling us just for a reminder, so that any stage we are in in our lives we can go to church on Sunday to get a simple reminder from Him.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Note: I believe this issue pales in importance compared to other issues such as loving God and others with all our hearts

1 John 5:2-3
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.

John 14:15 "IF you love Me - KEEP My Commandments"

Ex 20:6 "Love Me and KEEP My Commandments"

We prepare food ahead of time - and warm it up on Sabbath

Upvote 0

Sylvester

Aug 17, 2004
✟12,927.00
Faith
Christian
It's good ... to do good, ... even on the Sabbath ...

Mark 3

1 And he entered again into the synagogue; and there was a man there which had a withered hand.

2 And they watched him, whether he would heal him on the sabbath day; that they might accuse him.

3 And he saith unto the man which had the withered hand, Stand forth.

4 And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

5 And when he had looked round about on them with anger, being grieved for the hardness of their hearts, he saith unto the man, Stretch forth thine hand. And he stretched it out: and his hand was restored whole as the other.

Just for clarification, so your point is that it's good to do good on Sabbath. And since cooking is good, it's ok to cook on Sabbath. Is that what you are conveying?

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just for clarification, so your point is that it's good to do good on Sabbath. And since cooking is good, it's ok to cook on Sabbath. Is that what you are conveying?

Yes ... as a further illustration of this point, consider Jesus allowing His disciples to glean the fields on the Sabbath ...

Matthew 12

1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.

2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;

4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

Upvote 0

Sylvester

Aug 17, 2004
✟12,927.00
Faith
Christian
I believe that rule is outlawed now. Actually, what's kind of strange about the whole thing is even if you didn't work on Sunday, you would still be doing it wrong. Saturday is the Sabbath Day and it was moved to Sunday. However, Sabbath Day isn't even a thing anymore. God has called us to keep it Holy but in a different way than before. He wants us to give that day to Him specifically, meaning go to church and pray to Him. That doesn't mean we shouldn't do this any other day, He is basically telling us just for a reminder, so that any stage we are in in our lives we can go to church on Sunday to get a simple reminder from Him.

That's a whole different topic to discuss, isn't it? I think I'd want to discuss that point sometime in the future. I'll stick to the cooking topic in this thread since that's the issue I want to discuss now. :)

Upvote 0

Sylvester

Aug 17, 2004
✟12,927.00
Faith
Christian
1 John 5:2-3
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments. 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.

John 14:15 "IF you love Me - KEEP My Commandments"

Ex 20:6 "Love Me and KEEP My Commandments"

I agree. :) That's why I don't cook on Sabbath.

We prepare food ahead of time - and warm it up on Sabbath

Yeah, many people do that. Just out of curiosity, does the food freeze up where you live?

Upvote 0

Sylvester

Aug 17, 2004
✟12,927.00
Faith
Christian
Yes ... as a further illustration of this point, consider Jesus allowing His disciples to glean the fields on the Sabbath ...

Matthew 12

1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat.

2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.

3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;

4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?

5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?

Cool. That's an interesting passage. I'll read about that and get back to you on what I think about that.

Do you work on Sabbath? Asking that because work is good too.

Anyway, tonight I'll read the passage you gave me and get back to you tomorrow. :)

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Cool. That's an interesting passage. I'll read about that and get back to you on what I think about that.

Do you work on Sabbath? Asking that because work is good too.

Anyway, tonight I'll read the passage you gave me and get back to you tomorrow. :)

I have worked on Saturday/Sunday (as a newspaper deliveryman).

But, for most of my working career, I was spared from having to work much on the weekends. In this way, I have been blessed.

But, I note that there are many who work by necessity on the weekends, ... for instance doctors, nurses, firemen, policemen, etc. I once had to carry my wife to Emergency on Sunday afternoon. I was very grateful that there were doctors, nurses, and hospital staff working that day.

Jesus said that "The Sabbath was made for man, ... and not man for the Sabbath." I interpret this to mean that God has given the Sabbath to humanity as a time of rest and respite from labor and the sccompanying cares of this world. In other words, ... it is to be a benefit to us ... and not a burden or hindrance to doing that which is good.

The 4th commandment says "Remember the Sabbath, ... to keep it holy."

I believe that God desires that we not forget, ... or treat with disdain His Sabbath ... when He rested from His creative endeavors.

And I believe that God desires that we take time to REST and REFLECT, and to GATHER in His name. Though the weekend migh be a preferred time for this, ... it can also be accomplished on other days of the week.

It is the SPIRIT of the LAW that we attempt to meet, ... not necessarily the LETTER.

Paul taught God's desire that we pursue the SPIRIT of the LAW, as opposed to the LETTER, in the following passages ...

Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves, but our adequacy is from God, who also made us adequate as servants of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life” (2 Corinthians 3:5-6).

But he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that which is of the heart, by the Spirit, not by the letter; and his praise is not from men, but from God” (Romans 2:29).

... and Jesus illustrated this principle in the (2) examples I have previously offered.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RGW00

Jul 29, 2017
Kentucky
✟15,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's a whole different topic to discuss, isn't it? I think I'd want to discuss that point sometime in the future. I'll stick to the cooking topic in this thread since that's the issue I want to discuss now. :)
Unless I missed something in your post, I really don't see a difference. Go ahead and take all the words I just said about working and replace them with cooking. I feel the exact same way about the issue.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree. :) That's why I don't cook on Sabbath.

Yeah, many people do that. Just out of curiosity, does the food freeze up where you live?

We put perishable food in the fridge - and do not turn off the A/C or the Fridge on Friday evening.
We also warm up food on Sabbath.
We make our beds, put away clothes etc on Sabbath morning, wash hands etc. The heater is on in the winter and the A/C in the summer - even on Friday evening and Sabbath. And of course... drive the car to church which is also heated in the winter and cooled in the summer with lights on in the church power to the sound-system etc.

And while some may choose not do do those things - that is what we choose to do. And it takes no time or focus at all away from having the day as a day of rest, worship, sharing the Gospel, avoiding secular activities etc.

Reactions: Christie insb
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Let me clarify for you. "Doing good" on the sabbath is obeying a Positive command in the LAW that trumps the negative command: "do NOT work on the sabbath."

Is there a biblical command to cook? No. But there is a positive biblical command to save life. Will you die or be put in severe hardship if you hold off on cooking until after Havdalah? In most cases - no.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We put perishable food in the fridge - and do not turn off the A/C or the Fridge on Friday evening.
We also warm up food on Sabbath.
We make our beds, put away clothes etc on Sabbath morning, wash hands etc. The heater is on in the winter and the A/C in the summer - even on Friday evening and Sabbath. And of course... drive the car to church which is also heated in the winter and cooled in the summer with lights on in the church power to the sound-system et
The command is to neither kindle nor extinguish a fire. So having on the heat in your home or congregational meeting (set before the sabbath) place does not violate that. The same with your fridge.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me clarify for you. "Doing good" on the sabbath is obeying a Positive command in the LAW that trumps the negative command: "do NOT work on the sabbath."

Is there a biblical command to cook? No. But there is a positive biblical command to save life. Will you die or be put in severe hardship if you hold off on cooking until after Havdalah? In most cases - no.

Per Jesus, all of the Law derives from the (2) great commandments ...

1) Love the Lord thy God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength.

2) Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

A wife cooking for her household can certainly be ... loving her neighbor (i.e. family) as God positively instructs ... and, certainly, within this era of God's grace ...

John 1

17 For the Law came by Moses, ... but grace and truth came by Jesus the Christ.

Romans 7

6 But now we have been delivered from the Law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Per Jesus, all of the Law derives from the (2) great commandments ...

1) Love the Lord thy God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength.

2) Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

A wife cooking for her household can certainly be ... loving her neighbor (i.e. family) as God positively instructs ...
True. But what exactly is "Love?" I take Rabbi Dan Juster's definition:

Love is passionate identification with the other person, perceiving their worth and seeking their good, guided by the law of God.

If Love is not "guided by the Law of God," then it can accept a whole slew of ungodly things as ok, when God says they are NOT OK.

So you tell me - is unnecessarily breaking the Sabbath being "guided by the Law of God?"

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. But what exactly is "Love?" I take Rabbi Dan Juster's definition:

Love is passionate identification with the other person, perceiving their worth and seeking their good, guided by the law of God.

If Love is not "guided by the Law of God," then it can accept a whole slew of ungodly things as ok, when God says they are NOT OK.

So you tell me - is unnecessarily breaking the Sabbath being "guided by the Law of God?"

Not if one is doing good ...

Matthew 12

1 At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat. 2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day. 3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him; 4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests? 5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? 6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. 7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not if one is doing good ...
Matthew 12
This is a perfect example of what I was saying.

First off - understand that there were 2 training houses of Pharisees that disagreed on many points of practice. Beit Shammai taught that plucking grain for one's own consumption was "harvesting" and thus prohibited work on the sabbath. Beit Hillel taught that it was NOT to be considered "harvesting" and therefore NOT a violation of the sabbath.

BUT - our Lord appealed to the idea of a negative command (prohibition of work on the sabbath) being trumped by a positive one. To satisfy hunger for the work ahead fit under the command to "save life." So it took precedence.

But in neither Matt 12 or in 1 Sam 21 was there any cooking going on. The show bread had been baked the previous week.

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But in neither Matt 12 or in 1 Sam 21 was there any cooking going on. The show bread had been baked the previous week.

You seem to be placing a great deal of focus upon "cooking".

Do you not think that there are other more significant issues we could focus on within the Church which would lead us to be more LOVING (i.e. the basis of the Law) ???

Upvote 0