lollykh

Nov 3, 2012
✟16,304.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

Is cooking, baking and boiling prohibited on the Sabbath? I ask this question because of Exodus 16:23 which says, "then he said to them, "This is what the Lord meant: Tomorrow is a sabbath observance, a holy sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning."

The Hebrew word for "bake" is "אָפָה" which means to cook or to bake.

Does this verse mean we can't cook, bake and boil on the Sabbath or is it only referring to the context of the Israelites collecting manna at that particular time?

Thanks

lollykh

Nov 3, 2012
✟16,304.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Afha is the Hebrew word for starting a Fire. Meaning that fire is to be kept always in the house.
A Fire is best started on yom rishon,[the first day]
And kept till Shabbat alongside the olive oil.
Where is your source for "afha" meaning "to start a fire"?

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Devarim 11:21
Visit site
✟113,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Is cooking, baking and boiling prohibited on the Sabbath? I ask this question because of Exodus 16:23 which says, "then he said to them, "This is what the Lord meant: Tomorrow is a sabbath observance, a holy sabbath to the Lord. Bake what you will bake and boil what you will boil, and all that is left over put aside to be kept until morning."

The short answer is, yes, that is what it means.

Does this verse mean we can't cook, bake and boil on the Sabbath or is it only referring to the context of the Israelites collecting manna at that particular time?

Take a look at this passage and the highlighted statement:

Isaiah 40:3-8 TS2009 W/Footnotes
3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, “Prepare the way of יהוה; make straight in the desert a highway for our Elohim.
4 “Let every valley be raised, and every mountain and hill made low. And the steep ground shall become level, and the rough places smooth.
5 “And the esteem of יהוה shall be revealed, and all flesh together shall see it. For the mouth of יהוה has spoken.”
6 The voice said, “Cry out!” and he said, “What do I cry?” “All flesh is grass, and all its loving-commitment is like the flower of the field.
7 “Grass shall wither, the flower shall fade, when the Spirit of יהוה has blown on it! Truly the people is grass!
8 “Grass shall wither, the flower shall fade, but the Word of our Elohim stands forever.”a Footnote: a1Pet 1:24-25.

Isaiah 40:6-8, (from the LXX-Septuagint), is quoted in 1Peter:

1 Peter 1:22-25 TS2009 W/Footnotes
22 Now that you have cleansed your lives in obeying the truth through the Spirit to unfeigned brotherly love, love one another fervently with a clean heart,
23 having been born again – not of corruptible seed, but incorruptible – through the living Word of Elohim, which remains forever,
24 because “All flesh is as grass, and all the esteem of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and its flower falls away,
25 but the Word of Elohim remains forever.” Isa 40:6-8 And this is the Word, announced as Good News to you.

This therefore no doubt includes the Torah, which Stephen also calls Living Oracles, (Acts 7:38).

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟140,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The short answer is, yes, that is what it means.

Take a look at this passage and the highlighted statement:

Isaiah 40:3-8 TS2009 W/Footnotes
3 The voice of one crying in the wilderness, “Prepare the way of יהוה; make straight in the desert a highway for our Elohim.
4 “Let every valley be raised, and every mountain and hill made low. And the steep ground shall become level, and the rough places smooth.
5 “And the esteem of יהוה shall be revealed, and all flesh together shall see it. For the mouth of יהוה has spoken.”
6 The voice said, “Cry out!” and he said, “What do I cry?” “All flesh is grass, and all its loving-commitment is like the flower of the field.
7 “Grass shall wither, the flower shall fade, when the Spirit of יהוה has blown on it! Truly the people is grass!
8 “Grass shall wither, the flower shall fade, but the Word of our Elohim stands forever.”a Footnote: a1Pet 1:24-25.

Isaiah 40:6-8, (from the LXX-Septuagint), is quoted in 1Peter:

1 Peter 1:22-25 TS2009 W/Footnotes
22 Now that you have cleansed your lives in obeying the truth through the Spirit to unfeigned brotherly love, love one another fervently with a clean heart,
23 having been born again – not of corruptible seed, but incorruptible – through the living Word of Elohim, which remains forever,
24 because “All flesh is as grass, and all the esteem of man as the flower of the grass. The grass withers, and its flower falls away,
25 but the Word of Elohim remains forever.” Isa 40:6-8 And this is the Word, announced as Good News to you.

This therefore no doubt includes the Torah, which Stephen also calls Living Oracles, (Acts 7:38).
The short version does not appear to be sufficient in my opinion. In my understanding, the fire must be kindled and the manna is to be collected before sunset, but preparing the food isn't specifically addressed, much less prohibited. The verse quoted only instruct that we keep the leftover manna for the morning (as in, after the sunrise).

Is there other verses that specifically address a prohibition for heating food or reheating food that might help?

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The short version does not appear to be sufficient in my opinion. In my understanding, the fire must be kindled and the manna is to be collected before sunset, but preparing the food isn't specifically addressed, much less prohibited. The verse quoted only instruct that we keep the leftover manna for the morning (as in, after the sunrise).

Is there other verses that specifically address a prohibition for heating food or reheating food that might help?

In my understanding the two primary ways of cooking food are mentioned by the use of H644 אפה 'aphah, (to cook, as with unleavened bread in a tannur, or leavened bread in an oven or bread kiln), and H1310 בשל bashal, (to boil or to roast, as over an open fire, like a campfire or fire pit with a boiling pot or a roasting spit). The problem is with the prevalent interpretation of length of the primary Shabbat. My yoke is light: I have no problem abstaining from cooking for an hour each day during the Shabbat hour of the sacred calendar day.

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟140,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my understanding the two primary ways of cooking food are mentioned by the use of H644 אפה 'aphah, (to cook, as with unleavened bread in a tannur, or leavened bread in an oven or bread kiln), and H1310 בשל bashal, (to boil or to roast, as over an open fire, like a campfire or fire pit with a boiling pot or a roasting spit). The problem is with the prevalent interpretation of length of the primary Shabbat. My yoke is light: I have no problem abstaining from cooking for an hour each day during the Shabbat hour of the sacred calendar day.
Sincerest thanks dear brother in Him,

I am encouraged that both you and I have come to similar junctures in our understanding. I simply thought that, through HaKodesh Torah, you might elucidate further for the gentle reader, hoping against hope, the term 'gentle' would be regarded in faithfulness. Should you however, wish to abstain, I would completely understand.

Upvote 0

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Sincerest thanks dear brother in Him,

I am encouraged that both you and I have come to similar junctures in our understanding. I simply thought that, through HaKodesh Torah, you might elucidate further for the gentle reader, hoping against hope, the term 'gentle' would be regarded in faithfulness. Should you however, wish to abstain, I would completely understand.

Ah, perhaps I misunderstood, sometimes I can be a little dense. Off hand there are many Shabbat passages but what comes to mind immediately is Exodus 35:3, (which is probably one of the reasons why the poster in reply #2 said what he did). However, then we get into whether or not turning on a modern stove is kindling or lighting a fire, and some might say it says burning a fire that passage, others that it only means to kindle a fire, etc., etc., but I'm fine with discussing such things either way and suppose I would leave that up to the OP, if interested, or if you wish to proceed with other passages you have in mind that would be great too.

Upvote 0

be(t)et lamed resh

Feb 1, 2024
Tx
✟8,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Ah, perhaps I misunderstood, sometimes I can be a little dense. Off hand there are many Shabbat passages but what comes to mind immediately is Exodus 35:3, (which is probably one of the reasons why the poster in reply #2 said what he did). However, then we get into whether or not turning on a modern stove is kindling or lighting a fire, and some might say it says burning a fire that passage, others that it only means to kindle a fire, etc., etc., but I'm fine with discussing such things either way and suppose I would leave that up to the OP, if interested, or if you wish to proceed with other passages you have in mind that would be great too.
Fire was started by striking stones similar to the incident where a stone struck produced water. Vigilant to details is paramount.
1 Kings 6:7

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
✟140,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can find no call for an apology. If anything, I should oblige in a like manner for not being clear.

There is indeed a wide chasm spanning the kindling a fire and all that practice might entail, and the act of 'cooking' or even preparing a meal. Of the latter, I find a prohibition in writ, conspicuous in its absence. Those 'prohibitions' smacks of Pharisaic tradition, much like the carrying of a mat for the comfort of the infirm or the gentile shucking of grain between ones own palms from the 'corners' of a field for the immediate consumption of those in need.

The Herodians, Hasmoneans and Pharisees were famous for the strict enforcement of their own traditions. Dogmatic dictums that had no effect on them, but made the commandments of Our loving YHVH of 'none effect'.

Were I to abide in a primarily agrarian society, especially within colder climes or seasons, my fire pit would be well stocked and kindled before the Sabbath rest and continually fed automatically, as any good outdoorsman knows these methods since childhood. However, in more temperate locals and as it currently stands for me and mine, we prepare food for the Sabbath rest beforehand, simply so that we might more fully rest in Him and reflect on the work of our Father in the Creation and after.

Keeping warm food is an easy matter. Keeping warm is another subject entirely, especially in the desert at night. This might speak to motivation, wouldn't you agree?

Last edited:
Reactions: daq
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

daq

Messianic
Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
✟113,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I can find no call for an apology. If anything, I should oblige in a like manner for not being clear.

There is indeed a wide chasm spanning the kindling a fire and all that practice might entail, and the act of 'cooking' or even preparing a meal. Of the latter, I find a prohibition in writ, conspicuous in its absence. Those 'prohibitions' smacks of Pharisaic tradition, much like the carrying of a mat for the comfort of the infirm or the gentile shucking of grain between ones own palms from the 'corners' of a field for the immediate consumption of those in need.

The Herodians, Hasmoneans and Pharisees were famous for the strict enforcement of their own traditions. Dogmatic dictums that had no effect on them, but made the commandments of Our loving YHVH of 'none effect'.

Were I to abide in a primarily agrarian society, especially within colder climes or seasons, my fire pit would be well stocked and kindled before the Sabbath rest and continually fed automatically, as any good outdoorsman knows these methods since childhood. However, in more temperate locals and as it currently stands for me and mine, we prepare food for the Sabbath rest beforehand, simply so that we might more fully rest in Him and reflect on the work of our Father in the Creation and after.

Keeping warm food is an easy matter. Keeping warm is another subject entirely, especially in the desert at night. This might speak to motivation, wouldn't you agree?

Yes, I would agree, and once we get into motivation we are then speaking more about logos as opposed to surface letter, and logos, reason, reasoning, understanding the logic from the context, etc., is surely the more important, being the deeper truth.

• Agree
Reactions: Yahudim
Upvote 0

be(t)et lamed resh

Feb 1, 2024
Tx
✟8,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Thanks
Were you raised with a traditional upbringing?

Upvote 0

be(t)et lamed resh

Feb 1, 2024
Tx
✟8,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

Thanks
Rest on Shabbat involves a quiet place where coals are enough. Hence the malakim described as having such an appearance visually and audibly. Beit Resh Qof at the door[dalet qof hei]. A House of fire and water. Fire by night, cloud by day
יב וְאַחַר הָרַעַשׁ אֵשׁ, לֹא בָאֵשׁ יְהוָה; וְאַחַר הָאֵשׁ, קוֹל דְּמָמָה דַקָּה.12 and after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice.
יג וּדְמוּת הַחַיּוֹת מַרְאֵיהֶם כְּגַחֲלֵי-אֵשׁ, בֹּעֲרוֹת כְּמַרְאֵה הַלַּפִּדִים--הִיא, מִתְהַלֶּכֶת בֵּין הַחַיּוֹת; וְנֹגַהּ לָאֵשׁ, וּמִן-הָאֵשׁ יוֹצֵא בָרָק.13 As for the likeness of the living creatures, their appearance was like coals of fire, burning like the appearance of torches; it flashed up and down among the living creatures; and there was brightness to the fire, and out of the fire went forth lightning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

be(t)et lamed resh

Feb 1, 2024
Tx
✟8,990.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

And isnt a an, "outdoorsman" taught how to carry coals from one camp to another?

• Agree
Reactions: Yahudim
Upvote 0