If there was no death (of animals) before the Fall, then why would animals need to eat?

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nevertheless, the moral/ethical dualism applies,
As long as we know which side the good is on, on principle.

Genesis 18:25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?
FrumiousBandersnatch said:
... and the arbitrariness of 'good' means conscience is not a reliable guide.
We don't believe in letting one's conscience be their guide.

And in fact, the Dispensation of Conscience, which was a time when they did let their consciences be their guide, ended in failure, resulting in the Flood.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have heard that what God does is perfectly 'good' by definition (because He says so!), so whatever He does, even if horrific to us, is 'very good'. It makes the meaning of 'good' entirely arbitrary as far as humans are concerned; 'What God does is good' just becomes, 'What God does is what God does'.

Since what God does also (according to the bible) involves acts forbidden to humans unless explicitly instructed by God (e.g. 'Thou shalt not kill'), there is not just a dualist metaphysics in such religious belief, but dualist morals & ethics, i.e. "Do what I say, not what I do (even though what I do is, by definition, perfectly good)".

You are deviating onto another topic.

Genesis is the only time God used the words 'very good' for something outside of himself because this is the only time something measured up to his standards. He used those words so we can know that there was something special about creation that nothing else has ever come close to.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
You missed the point, which is that the notion of good itself is lost, replaced by the arbitrary diktat of a supernatural entity, and bearing no relation to our humanunderstanding of what is good. This is the second horn of the Euthyphro dilemma ("Does God command what is good, or is it good because God commands it?")

We don't believe in letting one's conscience be their guide.

And in fact, the Dispensation of Conscience, which was a time when they did let their consciences be their guide, ended in failure, resulting in the Flood.
So let dogma and diktat reign, eh? Supernatural might is right?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
You are deviating onto another topic.
I think the meaning of 'good' in respect of God's supposed activity is relevant to what 'very good' means in respect of God's supposed creation.

Genesis is the only time God used the words 'very good' for something outside of himself because this is the only time something measured up to his standards. He used those words so we can know that there was something special about creation that nothing else has ever come close to.
That's one possible interpretation of many. The fact that what God does is perfectly good by definition makes it redundant. It would only add something if God's supposed works are often less than 'very good'.

I would suggest it's just a rhetorical flourish by the writer(s) to use an idea familiar to their audience - that of a workman pleased with his work. It's easy to read too much into these stories - that seems to be at the root of many disputes and schisms.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You missed the point, which is that the notion of good itself is lost, replaced by the arbitrary diktat of a supernatural entity,
So if we say that God killing the firstborn of Egypt who didn't have the blood of a lamb on their doorposts is good, are we obligated to say that the notion of what William Calley Jr. did can't be ascertained as good or bad?
("Does God command what is good, or is it good because God commands it?")
In the example I just gave, God didn't "command" Himself to kill the firstborn of Egypt. In fact, He commanded everyone to ... so to speak ... "abandon ship" beforehand, by telling them to put the blood of a lamb on their doorposts.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It would only add something if God's supposed works are often less than 'very good'.

I would suggest it's just a rhetorical flourish by the writer(s) to use an idea familiar to their audience - that of a workman pleased with his work.
Then what's this?

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
It's easy to read too much into these stories - that seems to be at the root of many disputes and schisms.
And who's driving the wedge?

Upvote 0

Mr Laurier

Mar 26, 2021
Georgian Bay/Bruce Peninsula
✟31,584.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Genesis 18:25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?We don't believe in letting one's conscience be their guide.

I'm with Jiminy Cricket on this one.
Always let your conscience be your guide.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm with Jiminy Cricket on this one.
Always let your conscience be your guide.
You do know his name is a minced oath for "Jesus Christ," do you not?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
So if we say that God killing the firstborn of Egypt who didn't have the blood of a lamb on their doorposts is good, are we obligated to say that the notion of what William Calley Jr. did can't be ascertained as good or bad?
God only knows... It's another dilemma - if it's bad, moral dualism applies (what is good for God is not good for man); if not, there's a contradiction ('Thou shalt not kill').

In the example I just gave, God didn't "command" Himself to kill the firstborn of Egypt. In fact, He commanded everyone to ... so to speak ... "abandon ship" beforehand, by telling them to put the blood of a lamb on their doorposts.
The Euthyphro dilemma highlights the general problem of God supposedly being good by definition.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Then what's this?

Isaiah 45:7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
Another contradiction - is it good to create evil?

And who's driving the wedge?
It's your religion, you tell me.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Euthyphro dilemma highlights the general problem of God supposedly being good by definition.
To do that, it must assume that God can be bad in the first place.

Then, after first concluding that God should be able to be bad, they look up examples in the Bible that appear bad.

Didn't someone just post a cartoon about that?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Another contradiction - is it good to create evil?
It depends on what the evil is.

I believe the technical term for it would be "necessary evils."

God performs acts of "necessary evils," in order to get the job done.

You know? sometimes you have to cut off a finger to save a hand.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist

Ah, yet another feeble defence of the problem of evil.

So let me guess, when it applies to children getting bone cancer, the answer is GWIMW (God Works In Mysterious Ways) - amiright?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So let me guess, when it applies to children getting bone cancer, the answer is GWIMW (God Works In Mysterious Ways) - amiright?
Yes, you are right.

God works in mysterious ways.

But He works in mysterious ways, whether that child gets bone cancer or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to some creationists on this forum, it applies to animals too. There are creationists insisting there were no carnivores because there was no animals death.
Well as far as we know Eden would have been basically heaven. So, no death, but your question supposes that the world somehow functioned by at least as some of the same scientific laws. Why would you suppose that? The science laws we have now are the result at least in part of an imperfect world.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,434.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Unless you're omnipotent.

Upvote 0

Astroqualia

Born-again Truthseeker
Feb 5, 2019
FL
✟11,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
There are many logical fallacies in literal creationism.

For example, consider common accidents. If some man or animal would have body and head separated, it would have to stay alive, somehow. Even without hearts, brains, without breath. Bodies and all organs as such would be redundant completely.
There are no logical fallacies in creationism, simply not knowing how things actually were. We don't have the full idea fleshed out correctly. Satan hides the truth about these things in the world.

In a pre fallen world, it's likely that man had a godly grace about them that prevented them from ever being in a position to have their head severed from their body in the first place. If animals were part of what was cursed in the fall when God cursed the earth, then perhaps the same was true about animals.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟150,958.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Curious how all the animals are designed as
predators or prey.
The eagle is really not made to be
pulling carrots or grazing in the meadow,
no whale could possibly live on seaweed.

A gazelle doesn't need great speed to
get to the next bush.

Reactions: Mr Laurier
Upvote 0