If there was no death (of animals) before the Fall, then why would animals need to eat?

questionman

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
"The thought at the back of all this negative spirituality is really one forbidden to Christians. They, of all men, must not conceive spiritual joy and worth as things that need to be rescued or tenderly protected from time and place and matter and the senses. Their God is the God of corn and oil and wine. He is the glad Creator. He has become Himself incarnate. The sacraments have been instituted. Certain spiritual gifts are offered us only on condition that we perform certain bodily acts. After that we cannot really be in doubt of His intention. To shrink back from all that can be called Nature into negative spirituality is as if we ran away from horses instead of learning to ride. There is in our present pilgrim condition plenty of room (more room than most of us like) for abstinence and renunciation and mortifying our natural desires. But behind all asceticism the thought should be, ‘Who will trust us with the true wealth if we cannot be trusted even with the wealth that perishes?’ Who will trust me with a spiritual body if I cannot control even an earthly body? These small and perishable bodies we now have were given to us as ponies are given to schoolboys. We must learn to manage: not that we may some day be free of horses altogether but that some day we may ride bare-back, confident and rejoicing, those greater mounts, those winged, shining and world-shaking horses which perhaps even now expect us with impatience, pawing and snorting in the King’s stables. Not that the gallop would be of any value unless it were a gallop with the King; but how else—since He has retained His own charger—should we accompany Him?"

CS Lewis

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No
I recall reading years ago that Yahuweh Will Be our full and great and unending JOYOUSNESS beyond and without measure .....

... hardly likely , I think, the food will ever compare with THE CREATOR SUPREME SOVEREIGN ALMIGHT !
No Doubt but, scripture indicates that we will eat and drink in heaven.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
No

No Doubt but, scripture indicates that we will eat and drink in heaven.
No worry. No macky d-s, no pollution, no fast food, no pork, no processed milk, refined flour or refined sugar, no toxic soy products, no debilitating beverages, no parasites, maybe no Gebusites? ...
no manmade drugs, no profiteering, no harm to others, nor to anyone, ....

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No worry. No macky d-s, no pollution, no fast food, no pork, no processed milk, refined flour or refined sugar, no toxic soy products, no debilitating beverages, no parasites, maybe no Gebusites? ...
no manmade drugs, no profiteering, no harm to others, nor to anyone, ....

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
I hope there's something that tastes like rotisserie chicken, though! And something healthy that tastes like Doritos . :)

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I hope there's something that tastes like rotisserie chicken, tut hough! And something healthy that tastes like Doritos .
Okay, but remember what is written in Proverbs also -

it is better to eat in peace, a piece of bread with a bowl of soup,
instead of a delicious steak in a household with contention.

No, of course, there is no contention in heaven in the life to come...
The GLORIOUS CREATOR !!!!!!!! The Radiant Perfection everywhere !!!!!!!!!!! The angels !!!??
and of course not forgetting the peace that passes understanding, the ecstatic perfect unblemished JOYOUSNESS , the unlimited RIGHTOUSNESS, will be so beyond our wildest imaginations today, the food and water will scarcely be considered or thought about, I think.....

Reactions: renniks
Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The wage of sin is spiritual death.
You’re quote is correct and I thank you. You aren’t saying sin is limited to just spiritual death? In the Garden He said dying you will die’ speaking of both spiritual death, immediate, and physical death at a later point. Thanks again for the correction

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who says there was no death has not read Genesis 3:22: "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever"

If Adam was not going to live forever, there must have been death.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 1:29 states explicitly that the food for humans was to be vegetation while verse 30 tells us that animals also were to eat green plants for food. This means that both animals and humans were vegetarian from the start. *

Because both humans and animals were originally vegetarian, then death could not have been a part of God’s Creation.

Why does being vegetarian mean there was no death? Just because humans or animals were vegetarian doesn't mean they couldn't die by other means (e.g. old age, accident, etc).

Upvote 0

Vicky gould

Shekinah
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2019
North west
✟69,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone who says there was no death has not read Genesis 3:22: "And the Lord God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever"

If Adam was not going to live forever, there must have been death.
Adam would have lived forever if not for his sin. Sin entered the world through Adam and then death was was extended to all living creatures

Upvote 0

questionman

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Adam would have lived forever if not for his sin.

One might argue that it would be more precise to say that Adam would have lived forever if he could keep eating from the tree of life in the garden. Eternal life is a gift from God, not a quality of the human soul or body. His sin forever separated him from that tree (God's gift) that provided eternal life.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
See title.

Animals eat for the purpose of providing nutrients for the replenishment of energy stores, cellular rejuvenation, and so on. If an animal stops eating, metabolic processes no longer have the 'fuel' required to function and the animal eventually dies.

According to creationists there was no death before the Fall. If animals were no longer in danger of starving to death then why would there be a need to eat?

No spiritual death. I used to be a Creationist. Creationists are goofy. I knew it at the time even, but I let it slide.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why does being vegetarian mean there was no death? Just because humans or animals were vegetarian doesn't mean they couldn't die by other means (e.g. old age, accident, etc).

Bible says: The wages of sin is death. Sin is what causes death.

Doesn't say the wages of sin is the death of mankind ... although it is mostly applied that way ... well ... animals can't read/comprehend the written word of God.

When mankind sinned ... something had to die ... God himself slew an animal (as stated in my other posting)

All the Genesis creation verse ... it was good... it was good .. it was very good.

Does God see death of any kind good? No .... good....good and very good does not include death.

God is the creator and giver of life .... not death.

Psalm 50:10-11 “For every beast of the forest is mine, the cattle on a thousand hills. I know all the birds of the hills, and all that moves in the field is mine.”

Romans 8

20Against its will, all creation was subjected to God’s curse. But with eager hope, 21the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay. 22For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.

so ... who is the one who subjected it?

Adam did (because he sinned); the creation being delivered to him (to have dominion over the earth and all it very good), when he (Adam) by sin delivered himself he delivered creation likewise into the bondage of corruption. God passed a sentence upon the creation for the sin of man, by which they became subject.

22We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time

Genesis 3:17

New International Version
To Adam he said, "Because you listened to your wife and ate fruit from the tree about which I commanded you (sinned), 'You must not eat from it,' "Cursed is the ground because of you; through painful toil you will eat food from it all the days of your life.

The fall of mankind effected the entire planet ... the whole creation.

Upvote 0

Bungle_Bear

Whoot!
Mar 6, 2011
✟254,540.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Adam would have lived forever if not for his sin. Sin entered the world through Adam and then death was was extended to all living creatures
That's not what the verse I quoted says. So, can you explain it or is a handwave all you have?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So being vegetarian has nothing to do with it then.

You missed the point(s) or didn't understand the verses I posted.

When mankind was told what was to be food for them ... it didn't include meat ... the vegetarian statement just (to me) adds additional support to all the other verses I quoted.

The first death of any kind referenced in the bible is when God himself slew an animal to clothe Adam & Eve.

There was no sin in the world until Adam & Eve sinned, one can believe or not ... I put forth why I believe this to be so and am moving on to other topics/conversations.

Believe what you want ;o)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
According to creationists there was no death before the Fall. If animals were no longer in danger of starving to death then why would there be a need to eat?
Probably for the sheer pleasure of eating.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟254,876.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I hope there's something that tastes like rotisserie chicken, though! And something healthy that tastes like Doritos . :)
There are heavenly toilets..?

Sorry, I just...I mean I can't...it's not...what?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
See title.

Animals eat for the purpose of providing nutrients for the replenishment of energy stores, cellular rejuvenation, and so on. If an animal stops eating, metabolic processes no longer have the 'fuel' required to function and the animal eventually dies.

Biblical 'death' means creatures with a soul. Not plants or fungi or skins cells. The human body completely regenerates every 7 years. Technically if you have regenerated you should not even have any age degeneration, but we do, because of sin.

Eating is for more than stopping starvation.

You are asking a hypothetical as well because God knew exactly when Adam would sin -almost immediately. The deal with no death was only meant as a taste of what Gods ultimate plan was and is. The new earth will be like that, with no death but it wont have any possibility of ruin. Adam and Eve probably only lasted days, if that, in the garden of Eden.

Now if they had not sinned for an extended amount of time and if an animal had not eaten at all (impossible hypothetical since God designed animals with a will to eat and plenty of plants available) we can only guess at what may have happened. But since death wasn't something that could happen my guess is the animal would lay down and do nothing and possibly stay that way. The silly answer fits the silly question.

Upvote 0