If Theistic Evolution, how long did day 7 last?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The days are not a literal ordered set. If they were then plants would have no sun.
On that particular day, day 4 I think, God cause the luminaries to be seen on earth, before that was a lot of dust and ash clouds from all the volcanic activity, and they did not shine on earth nor could be seen from earth yet, etc...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On that particular day, day 4 I think, God cause the luminaries to be seen on earth, before that was a lot of dust and ash clouds from all the volcanic activity, and they did not shine on earth nor could be seen from earth yet, etc...

God Bless!
Interesting your claim that the sun was observed, 2 days before man was created on the 6th day.
I wonder who was writing all this down. Jesus was known to write almost nothing.

• Friendly
Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟379,526.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Interesting your claim that the sun was observed, 2 days before man was created on the 6th day.
I wonder who was writing all this down. Jesus was known to write almost nothing.

There would be no garden for man to live in if there was no sunshine I guess.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Hi everyone,
(since I can't answer posts in the section where non-believers are allowed to post)...
a little challenge to everyone believing in the so-called theistic evolution, which I believe is untrue.
Ok?
So if day 1 to day 6 is said to have lasted many millions of years each, how long is day 7 - which is God's rest - following this line of thought?

On one occasion, I've heard a reply in the sense that it simply lasted shorter than the other days... is this how you think?
So why would God's word the Bible choose "day" for a long time span at the beginning of chapter and just a few verses later, "day" describes a rather short period of time? And who is supposed to understand God jumping from one meaning to another in the same chapter?

Someone else said he believed that God still is resting as of today. However, he's worked hard in the mean time initiating the flood, for instance.

I'm curious to learn what you think on this one.

Regards,
Thomas
Since there is no indication in the Jewish myth that is Genesis 1 that *yom* means anything but “day (of 24 hours)”, I take the Hebrew word as referring to days of 24 hours: not to unspecified epochs, not to geological ages, not to periods of unknown length in a re-creation, but to 24-hour days making up a week of 7 days. In other words, as referring to normal familiar human times and days. And, just as though God were imagined it to be a human workman, God is said to rest on the seventh day from his labour which he had done/made, just as a human workman might do.

The story is comparable, not to the modern sciences, but to the creation myths of the cultures which were the neighbours, and often the enemies, of Israel and Judah.

The Jewish creation myth, or rather myths, should be compared, not with the information provided by modern science, but with the myths and other theological ideas of its neighbours. The Jews, or some of them at least, were familiar with the creation myths of their neighbours; but, for obvious reasons, they knew absolutely nothing about the scientific ideas of the modern era. so it makes no sense, to compare Darwinian biology with the creation myth in Genesis one; they are not comparable. To compare them is as sensible as to compare a modern ICBM missile with an 18th-century musket; the two cultures are not contemporary, and the earlier culture had no way of knowing of the later culture, so the comparison is flawed from the outset, and consequently, meaningless.

The authors of the text

Why would a Jewish author in the eighth century BC (or so) have meant anything other than a 24-hour day ? What reason is there to suppose that the Old Testament authors knew anything of, or were even concerned with, modern geology, geography, palaeontology, speciation, hydrodynamics, or any other subject that so much exercises so many modern Bible-reading Christians ?

I think that the current fuss and palaver about the meaning of Genesis 1 has much less to do with the text, than with how different groups of people think the text should be interpreted. As to whether peoples’ expectations of how it should be interpreted are justified, that is another kettle of fish.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Since there is no indication in the Jewish myth that is Genesis 1 that *yom* means anything but “day (of 24 hours)”,

"Yom" in the Hebrew language can mean "in my time", "once upon a time", "always", and many other things.

The Jewish creation myth, or rather myths, should be compared, not with the information provided by modern science, but with the myths and other theological ideas of its neighbours. The Jews, or some of them at least, were familiar with the creation myths of their neighbours; but, for obvious reasons, they knew absolutely nothing about the scientific ideas of the modern era. so it makes no sense, to compare Darwinian biology with the creation myth in Genesis one; they are not comparable. To compare them is as sensible as to compare a modern ICBM missile with an 18th-century musket; the two cultures are not contemporary, and the earlier culture had no way of knowing of the later culture, so the comparison is flawed from the outset, and consequently, meaningless.

Yes.

• Informative
Reactions: Job 33:6
Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Hi everyone,
(since I can't answer posts in the section where non-believers are allowed to post)...
a little challenge to everyone believing in the so-called theistic evolution, which I believe is untrue.
Ok?
So if day 1 to day 6 is said to have lasted many millions of years each, how long is day 7 - which is God's rest - following this line of thought?

On one occasion, I've heard a reply in the sense that it simply lasted shorter than the other days... is this how you think?
So why would God's word the Bible choose "day" for a long time span at the beginning of chapter and just a few verses later, "day" describes a rather short period of time? And who is supposed to understand God jumping from one meaning to another in the same chapter?

Someone else said he believed that God still is resting as of today. However, he's worked hard in the mean time initiating the flood, for instance.

Regards,
Thomas

The Sabbath, the seventh day
- day of rest was created for man - Mark 2:27.
God does not need rest, scriptures as says he neither sleeps nor slumbers - Psalms 121:2-4.
Six days do the work and on the seventh day rest from the work you've done and as you're resting keep it holy. Even for the land plant and harvest for 6 years and in the 7th year, let the Earth rest - Exodus 23: 11.

On the seventh day God rested simply means he was finished with the work he set out to accomplish concerning the earth and the inhabitants including man. He sanctified and blessed the seventh day - Genesis 2:3. To him the seventh day had special meaning.

And he asked mankind to keep the 7th day holy - he asked that it be remembered. Some believe this was because he actually rose from the grave on the seventh day and not the first day as the first Roman churches began to teach. The Resurrection of Jesus was on a Sabbath Morning
The Resurrection of Jesus was on a Sabbath Morning
https://www.sabbath.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/Library.sr/CT/HWA/k/463/resurrection-not-sunday.htm
The Resurrection Was Not on Sunday

Those are 3 of quite a few. Because he rose on the 7th day - is why he sanctified and blessed it ?

What is he doing now - his kingdom is in heaven wherever that is - somewhere in the cosmos and he is doing what even an entity in authority does - what we call work. He also said goes to prepare a place that where would he is we may be also - work.

Not until one realizes that God is not subjected to time - only man is - time was set in place for man to live and measure by to from birth to death.
Once people stop looking at God through the terms and ideals of man, one may understand better. God said his ways are not the ways of man - that his thoughts are not the thoughts of man - the Earth is his footstool - the heavens cannot contain him.

Days are for man and days will come to an end - many scriptures speak of the last days.
For God the seventh day has no beginning end has no end.

Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
"Yom" in the Hebrew language can mean "in my time", "once upon a time", "always", and many other things.
What basis, in the text of Genesis 1-2.4, is there, for supposing that "yom" does *not* mean "day", though ?

Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What basis, in the text of Genesis 1-2.4, is there, for supposing that "yom" does *not* mean "day", though ?

The fact that it describes mornings and evenings with no sun to have them. Which would be an absurdity in Hebrew if it was meant to be a literal account.

The text itself tells us that it's not a literal account.

• Agree
Upvote 0

jamiec

Aug 2, 2020
Scotland
✟42,265.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The fact that it describes mornings and evenings with no sun to have them. Which would be an absurdity in Hebrew if it was meant to be a literal account.

The text itself tells us that it's not a literal account.
Good point. But not a decisive objection against taking the text literally.

Where does the text itself tell us that it is not a literal account ? And how is a reader with no Hebrew to understand it as anything else ?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟366,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Good point. But not a decisive objection against taking the text literally.

Where does the text itself tell us that it is not a literal account ? And how is a reader with no Hebrew to understand it as anything else ?

"Morning" and "evening" is the same thing in English.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟560,799.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Consider that the 6 days were part of the gap concept of creation. The original creation occurred in Gen 1:1. The 6 days were a "re-creation." Something happened in verse 2 that caused creation to become "without form and void." What we read in the rest of Gen 1 is restoring the earth to a livable condition and the reintroducing earth-man via the process of theistic evolution. What we read in chapter 2 is separate from the 6 days where Eden is created, and Adam and Eve (Man of God) are introduced. Later the descendants of Adam and Eve join with the earth-man and we end up with what we have now.
I lean toward theistic evolution for many reasons. One difficulty is the statement that Eve would be the mother of all living. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Consider that the 6 days were part of the gap concept of creation. The original creation occurred in Gen 1:1. The 6 days were a "re-creation." Something happened in verse 2 that caused creation to become "without form and void." What we read in the rest of Gen 1 is restoring the earth to a livable condition and the reintroducing earth-man via the process of theistic evolution. What we read in chapter 2 is separate from the 6 days where Eden is created, and Adam and Eve (Man of God) are introduced. Later the descendants of Adam and Eve join with the earth-man and we end up with what we have now.
I lean toward theistic evolution for many reasons. One difficulty is the statement that Eve would be the mother of all living. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
You might want to explore this thread a bit if you are interested, etc...? For now, I am just linking a post near the very end of it, but that has other "important" post links in it, as long as some additional information, etc...

Genesis and Creation, Days are long "ages" ect...?

Feel free to post there and resurrect it if you like...

Or get back to me here once you have checked it out if you like...

In short, days 1-5 were all prior to land animals appearing, because right after that is the start of day 6, and day 6 is now about to end, and day 7 will be beginning very soon, after Jesus comes back to start that, etc, and it will last until the end of this whole entire creation, etc, in which after that, a whole new creation will begin again, at day eight, or back at day one again, etc...

6 is the number (age) of man/land animals/beasts, and 7 is the number of completion or perfection (of man) (apart from beasts), and 8 (or back at 1) is that of new beginnings, or whole new creations again, etc...

See the links for more information. etc...

God Bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkovandOfMitzae

Apr 17, 2022
Southeastern USA
✟8,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Engaged
The seven days of creation within the Jewish creation mythology found in genesis 1 don’t represent any particular time frame or order. It’s there to make a point and that point is not the age of the world.

• Agree
Reactions: The Barbarian
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟818,915.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,
Ok?

Regards,
Thomas
Day 7 is on going and represents righteous. God's rest.

• Agree
Reactions: Carl Emerson
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
Hi everyone,
Ok?

Regards,
Thomas

The days don't represent periods of time at all in the usual sense. The story is myth. Which doesn't mean "untrue", but it means it is symbolic and theologically true.

Upvote 0