If Jesus is God, can these verses be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apologist

2 Tim. 2:24-26
Jan 9, 2002
Northern California
Visit site
✟1,980.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by Messenger
Here's a copy of what I posted on the Trinity in the Workshop forum:

I believe there is one God...God the Father. Jesus we do not pray to but through. The Holy Spirit guides us. They are all of God...but I don't believe they are all God.

If Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not God then what are they?
There are only three classes of beings created: God, Angels, and Mankind. Which of the three are they?

God Bless

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Trinity is essential Christian doctrine. Without the Trinity Jesus is a liar. Without the Trinity the Bible contains 3 gods which is a contradiction. Without the Trinity the Bible is flawed. So, the Trinity is essential Biblical doctrine.

On the subject of John 1:14: The direct Greek to English translation would read "And the word flesh became and tented in us" We could use logos to replace word as it is actually a better word than "word" and closer to making things clear. Logos is a word that, in one sense, means "the idea" or "design" or the "intent". With that in mind you can see John 1:1 as an actual account of "before the beginning" which is also stated in several ways in the NT. God had the idea, was the idea and became one of us (tented in us). Not with us but "in" us, so you can see the idea of creation; and a God that was fully God, fully man, fully Spirit.

Blessings

Upvote 0

Phoenix

Feb 14, 2002
Visit site
✟1,460.00
Faith
Christian
The key to Edpobre:

"He HEARD Jesus SAY he is a MAN (John 8:40) and the FATHER is the ONLY true God (John 17:3)."

Just Fyi to speed things yp here Ed sees this verse as proof thast Jesus is not God.

The thing is, this verse does not deny Jesus' Divinity at all.

The Trinity Doctrine agrees that Jesus is a man and agrees that the Father is the Only true God.

What this verse is not saying, that Ed would have you think it is saying is that Only the Father is the only true God.

After thinking about diving into this i read the first page of this thread and reminded myself that it just isn't worth my time. :(

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"But seriously, the concept of the trinity just doesn't make sense. "

YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT. It ranks right up there with agape love. In human eyes, it doesn't make sence at all, but then again, its not supposed ...we aren't God.

Ed, sorry, I"m not going to answer you anymore, its a fruitless discussion because you're set in your ways and I'm hoping God will change you because you're on the wrong path ;)

Upvote 0

Apologist

2 Tim. 2:24-26
Jan 9, 2002
Northern California
Visit site
✟1,980.00
Faith
Christian
Originally posted by LouisBooth
"But seriously, the concept of the trinity just doesn't make sense. "

YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT. It ranks right up there with agape love. In human eyes, it doesn't make sence at all, but then again, its not supposed ...we aren't God.

Ed, sorry, I"m not going to answer you anymore, its a fruitless discussion because you're set in your ways and I'm hoping God will change you because you're on the wrong path ;)

How true LouisBooth.
It's funny how people can believe in God's Omniscience, Omnipresense, and Omnipotence, not to mention His eternal being of never having a beginning or an ending and yet the trinity "doesn't make sense." Isaiah 55:8 says it all:
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the Lord.

God Bless

Upvote 0

Thunderchild

Sheep in Wolf's clothing
Jan 5, 2002
Adelaide
Visit site
✟3,180.00
Faith
Non-Denom
With regard to the passage at John 1:14

"and made his tent among (en) us". The word "en" can be variously translated as "on", "in", "with", or "by" - without a preference. For most purposes the English "per" best translates the concept of "en" (though perhaps not on this occasion.) "In" or "on" used for the translation of this passage would be incorrect - either would inevitably result in the concept that "The word became flesh and dwelt within our persons." - which the passage does NOT infer - if "in" was used to translate "en", it would force, to retain the original meaning, "hemin" (us) to be rendered as "our company."

The English concept of the Greek "Logos" can easily be demonstrated by the use of the word "logos" in a "company's logo."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Messenger
I don't think trinity is worth fighting over. I have yet to find anything in the Bible even suggesting that we will lose our Salvation if we believe or don't believe in Trinity. I am not even certain that those who say they believe in the Trinity Doctrine know exactly what it is. I was told on this post that I couldn't call myself a "Christian" if I didn't believe in the Trinity Doctrine.

Messenger,

You are mistaken in thinking that the Trinity isn't worth fighting over. If the Trinity doctrine were TRUE, then those who believe in the Trinity KNOW God and they will not be destroyed on judgment day.

On the other if the Trinity doctrine were FALSE, everyone who believes in the Trinity "shall be punished with everlasting destructionfrom the presence of the Lord and from the glory of his power when he comes on that day..." (2 Thes. 1:9-10).

Because, "in flaming fire, taking vengeance on those who do NOT know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ" (2 Thes. 1:8).

Jesus says he is a MAN (John 8:40) andthe FATHER is the ONLY true God (John 17:3).

Anyone who does NOT believe Jesus is CONDEMNED already (John 3:18). And anyone who does NOT obey his teaching does NOT have life but the WRATH of God abides in him (John 3:36).

Ed

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Apologist

If Jesus and the Holy Spirit are not God then what are they?
There are only three classes of beings created: God, Angels, and Mankind. Which of the three are they?

God Bless

Apologist,

GOD is the single English word that describes the ONE who created the hevens and the earth and everything that is in them.

MAN is the single English word that describes the ONE that God CREATED on the sixth day (Gen. 1:27).

ANGELS are MESSENGERS of God and they are either SPIRITS who deliver short messages or humans who deliver long messages.

Jesus is a MAN (John 8:40). That means God CREATED him. Jesus identifies the FATHER as the ONLY true God (John 17:3). Therefore, the FATHER is the ONLY ONE God who CREATED Jesus, the MAN.

Ed

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
Originally posted by Thunderchild
Yes, among other passages, John chapter one incontrovertibly states that Jesus originated as God. And given the number of authors who make the claim, no doubt can reasonably be entertained regarding the scriptural authority of the passage.

Thunderchild,

Can you show me a passage in the scriptures that show Jesus as the WORD of God BEFORE John 1:1 and the entire New Testament was written?

Ed

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
"Can you show me a passage in the scriptures that show Jesus as the WORD of God BEFORE John 1:1 and the entire New Testament was written?

"

Sure..try Pslams 2 to start, we can go from there.

LouisBooth,

You must be dreaming! There is NOTHING in Psalm 2 that even hints of Jesus as the word of God.

Honestly, my friend. If you were a Israelite who lived 200 years BEFORE Christ was born and you were reading Psalm 2, would you have imagined that the one speaking is another God or a PART of the God he was referring to?

Ed

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"You must be dreaming! There is NOTHING in Psalm 2 that even hints of Jesus as the word of God.
"

*sigh* I never said there was. It explains his title "Son of God" I wanted you to read it because you among a few other people for the life of you, can't understand what the title means. Do you now see it as a title of authority or should you go back and read it again? Ed, to answer your question, have you ever heard of this word...prophasy (may be spelled wrong..hehehe).

Upvote 0

edpobre

Feb 5, 2002
NEW YORK
✟3,067.00
"You must be dreaming! There is NOTHING in Psalm 2 that even hints of Jesus as the word of God.
"

*sigh* I never said there was. It explains his title "Son of God" I wanted you to read it because you among a few other people for the life of you, can't understand what the title means. Do you now see it as a title of authority or should you go back and read it again? Ed, to answer your question, have you ever heard of this word...prophasy (may be spelled wrong..hehehe).

LouisBooth,

I asked Thunderchild to show me a verse in the Old Testament which shows that Jesus was the WORD of God BEFORE he was born and BEFORE the New Testament was written.

You butted in and in post #236 you cited Psalm 2. In post #237 I told you that there is nothing in Psalm 2 which even hints of Jesus as the word of God.

Now you are denying you ever said there was and try to divert the question to another issue. Why can't you just say outright that Jesus was NEVER the WORD of God BEFORE he was born?

If you have any evidence to support your belief that Jesus was indeed the WORD of God BEFORE he was born, please show us instead of employing the squid tactic of diverting the issue to another.

Ed

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.