Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'mystical' and also why Presbyterians reject the bodily presence (as taught by Lutherans)?
Honestly it is probably out of the scope of this thread, but there is a pretty good (and long) thread about it here:
The real presence of Christ in the sacrament of communion.
I would also take a quote from THIS article (also in that thread):
All of this raises a question. How does Calvin understand the nature of Christ’s presence in the Supper? According to Calvin the sacraments are signs. The signs and the things signified must be distinguished without being separated. Calvin rejects the idea that the sacramental signs are merely symbols (for example, Zwingli). But he also rejects the idea that the signs are transformed into the things they signify (for example, Rome). Calvin argues that when Christ uses the words, “This is my body,” the name of the thing signified (“body”) is applied to the sign (the bread).

Calvin repeatedly stated that his argument with the Roman Catholics and with Luther was not over the fact of Christ’s presence, but only over the mode of that presence. According to Calvin, Christ’s human body is locally present in heaven, but it does not have to descend in order for believers to truly partake of it because the Holy Spirit effects communion. The Holy Spirit is the bond of the believer’s union with Christ. Therefore that which the minister does on the earthly plane, the Holy Spirit accomplishes on the spiritual plane. In other words, those who partake of the bread and wine in faith are also, by the power of the Holy Spirit, being nourished by the body and blood of Christ.

This, of course, raises a second question regarding the mode by which believers partake of the body and blood of Christ. Zwingli had argued that to eat and drink the body and blood of Christ was simply a synonym for believing in Christ. Calvin begged to differ. He argued that the eating of the body of Christ is not equivalent to faith; instead, it is the result of faith. Calvin often used the term “spiritual eating” to describe the mode by which believers partake, but he is careful to define what he means. He asserts repeatedly that “spiritual eating” does not mean that believers partake only of Christ’s spirit. “Spiritual eating” means, according to Calvin, that by faith believers partake of the body and blood of Christ through the power of the Holy Spirit who pours the life of Christ into them.

Calvin also rejected the idea that we partake of the body and blood of Christ with the mouth. Not only Rome, but Luther and his followers, asserted the doctrine of oral manducation (that is, oral eating). According to the Lutherans, the body of Christ is orally eaten, but it is a supernatural or hyperphysical eating rather than a natural or physical eating. Both believers and unbelievers receive the body of Christ according to the Lutherans, although unbelievers receive it to their own judgment. Calvin denied that unbelievers receive the body of Christ at all. According to Calvin, the body and blood of Christ are objectively offered to all, but only received by believers.

According to Calvin, the Lord’s Supper is also “a bond of love” intended to produce mutual love among believers. It is to inspire thanksgiving and gratitude. Because it is at the very heart of Christian worship, Calvin argued that it should be observed whenever the Word is preached, or “at least once a week.” It should be shorn of all superstition and observed in its biblical simplicity. Calvin considered the Lord’s Supper to be a divine gift given by Christ himself to His people to nourish and strengthen their faith. As such, it is not to be neglected, but rather celebrated often and with joy.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not all ELCA churches (or Lutheran churches in general) practice Paedocommunion.
That should be, 'precede'. I apologize. I misspoke. The LCMS (the synod I am affiliated with), does not practice infant communion. I wish it did. Some of our Pastors have fought for it, but to no avail.
Reception of the Eucharist is open to all baptized Christians in the ELCA, whether they are members or not. But for members there is a general progression of baptism, catechism, first communion or confirmation. Some congregations do practice paedocommunion for baptized children, but I really have no idea how common it is in the ELCA. I am given to understand that many (most/all?) Orthodox Churches do as well.
I can see the logic behind offering the Eucharist to all baptized believers insomuch as baptism and reception of the Eucharist shouldn't be separated.

That sounds like a Believer's Baptism, which is a different belief than Lutherans, some Reformed and all the Apostolic churches. But I could be misunderstanding you.

Lutherans believe that children can (and should) be baptized. We continually renounce our sins regardless of baptism.
Children ought to be baptized because of original (or ancestral sin). But they are not guilty of personal sin, adults are, and willfully so. So there is a difference between infant and adult baptism. The latter has (in apostolic tradition) required a renunciation of actual sin. Error or heresy is actual sin.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟775,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That should be, 'precede'. I apologize. I misspoke. The LCMS (the synod I am affiliated with), does not practice infant communion. I wish it did. Some of our Pastors have fought for it, but to no avail.
The ELCA church I was a member of did practice it, as did another in my city; but I am really not sure if it is common or not. Honestly, the ELCA is a rather aged denomination, I am not sure that it is a big issue in many parishes.
I can see the logic behind offering the Eucharist to all baptized believers insomuch as baptism and reception of the Eucharist shouldn't be separated.
I agree.
Children ought to be baptized because of original (or ancestral sin). But they are not guilty of personal sin, adults are, and willfully so. So there is a difference between infant and adult baptism. The latter has (in apostolic tradition) required a renunciation of actual sin. Error or heresy is actual sin.
I also agree. :)

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,503.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Though adult baptism is fairly uncommon in the ELCA. Most adults converts to the ELCA come from other Christian traditions. And since repentance is meant to be a life long endeavor anyway, I don't see why instruction needs to happen before becoming part of the community.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
This is a decent point. I mean at what point does repentance give way to the Christian state. Jesus is the deciding factor and all those who are baptized have him.
Though adult baptism is fairly uncommon in the ELCA. Most adults converts to the ELCA come from other Christian traditions. And since repentance is meant to be a life long endeavor anyway, I don't see why instruction needs to happen before becoming part of the community.

Upvote 0