Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I posted an icon change request...NO OFFENSE to any of our PC(USA) brothers and sisters...but I just had to ask here and there.
I believe I was sensitive and reasonable in this...if it's petty...well let me know. :)

I just wanted to tell all of ya'll about it....I don't want to hide anything.
http://www.christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=7398666

I am not sure if it's wanted....but I think it's a good idea...like I stated in that thread...unity in this forum and I'm going on the basis of what I've heard from others in the past. We have a new forum...let's have a new unified icon of sorts eh?

Let's all keep in mind that this is a forum after all...representative of all Presbyterians regardless of stance on issues.

As always...thankyou so much for listening. :)

Last edited:

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
That forum is setup so that only you (and Admins) can see your post...no one else will be able to access. However, I'll post my response here that I wrote last evening:

few things:

1) that was made ages ago by who...i don't know. i'm not entirely sure that we have anyone graphically inclined at the moment.

2) i think that it was picked as it was sort of an "official" Presbyterian icon...albeit PCUSA. IIRC...none of the other Presby groups have anything really official or identifiable...hence why I think it was chosen (we're talking back in the 2001 timeframe).

3) the last time we made a "change" as it were...it was to the SDA icon as the Adventist church contacted us over "copyright issues." Dumb, in my opinion. So now they're stuck with that terrible "SDA" horror.

4) we're making some technical changes on the backend of the site which will hopefully bring back some of the stuff that people liked from back in the day...so that is sort of the first priority at the moment. the owner also doubled the RAM on the servers a week or two ago...which is why the site has been much more stable.

so...not brushing you off as i know that the icons can be a touchy thing...just limited resources at the moment. i'll ask one of the guys that has access to the imageserver what the actual dimensions of the icons are so maybe that will be a starting point.

I did send a few PMs this morning to see if I could track down the image requirements.

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Playfair

Sep 24, 2004
✟301.00
Faith
Protestant
If it is not too much trouble, can I ask you guys a question?

Why is there such a big deal about a faith icon? As we walk around, I have never said I am this or that, I say I am in Christ and Christ alone.

The name on the door isn't what makes a church, it is His children that make a church. It just bugs me that we get hung up on things like this.

And I will be upfront and say I am not a member of the Presbyterian denomination, or in the legal sense, any denomination. I do attend services with brothers and sisters, but what the name is on the door doesn't mean much to me, it is the believers who are on fire for a Holy God that matters.

Or am I out to lunch?

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Why is there such a big deal about a faith icon? As we walk around, I have never said I am this or that, I say I am in Christ and Christ alone.

The name on the door isn't what makes a church, it is His children that make a church. It just bugs me that we get hung up on things like this.

And I will be upfront and say I am not a member of the Presbyterian denomination, or in the legal sense, any denomination. I do attend services with brothers and sisters, but what the name is on the door doesn't mean much to me, it is the believers who are on fire for a Holy God that matters.

Or am I out to lunch?

It's really not a big deal in the long run. We just got a fresh start with a new forum here so I was just brainstorming thanks for your 2 cents though. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

Or am I out to lunch?

Hello and welcome! :wave:

You're not out to lunch, your point is valid and well-taken. However, the reality is that when we talk about the type of church that we belong to, we're not talking about "brand loyalty". We are talking about our confession. In other words, to say that I am a Presbyterian is saying something about what I believe the word of God teaches, and that is important.

But these can definitely be taken in a wrong way. People can turn them into banners and religious clubhouses. That is wrong. We are all part of the universal church of all times and nations.

Upvote 0

Playfair

Sep 24, 2004
✟301.00
Faith
Protestant
It's really not a big deal in the long run. We just got a fresh start with a new forum here so I was just brainstorming thanks for your 2 cents though. :thumbsup:
Cool! Got ya! :)
Hello and welcome! :wave:

You're not out to lunch, your point is valid and well-taken. However, the reality is that when we talk about the type of church that we belong to, we're not talking about "brand loyalty". We are talking about our confession. In other words, to say that I am a Presbyterian is saying something about what I believe the word of God teaches, and that is important.

But these can definitely be taken in a wrong way. People can turn them into banners and religious clubhouses. That is wrong. We are all part of the universal church of all times and nations.
Thank you for the warm welcome. That is a very good point, one that I admit I didn't think about. It shows where you stand.

What has always bugged me is that even in the Church we get into cliques, you know? I understand that there are always going to be theological differences, and that is cool. It is one of the great things of being a believer and following the Way. Our faith is alive, and God meets us where we are. We are not cookie cutter and all the same. We don't say the same prayers all the time, at a certain place on a certain day. Religion in that sense, is not what Christ is. He is about freedom.

I am sorry to derail the thread. My prayer is that we as believers learn to just look to Him and HIm alone, and allow those differences that we may have to pass by because by being completely engulfed in Him alone, we cease.

OK. Carry on! :)

Upvote 0

TomUK

What would Costanza do?
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2004
Lancashire, UK
✟62,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Conservative

Or am I out to lunch?

Apologies if i'm overstepping my mark here, but wanted to briefly make a comment. I really like the CF has gone about all the different denominational icons - they're all very different from one and each reveal subtle nuances about what we believe, but ultimately they are all the cross of Christ. Yes, i suppose we could all select the plain yellow Christian cross but to my mind that seems a little dull. We are all different from one another, in ethnicity, in backgrounds, in worship, even in theology in some areas - the church is diverse - but the one things that unites us all is Jesus. Certainly some people do seem to thing their denomination is more important than their faith, but overall I think the sheer variety of christian icons is something to be celebrated.

Upvote 0

kenrapoza

I Like Ice Cream
Aug 20, 2006
Massachusetts
✟11,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
What has always bugged me is that even in the Church we get into cliques, you know? I understand that there are always going to be theological differences, and that is cool. It is one of the great things of being a believer and following the Way. Our faith is alive, and God meets us where we are. We are not cookie cutter and all the same. We don't say the same prayers all the time, at a certain place on a certain day. Religion in that sense, is not what Christ is. He is about freedom.

Absolutely, I know exactly what you mean! Cliques have no place in the body of Christ. One of the great things about a church, especially one that isn't driven by niche marketing (which unfortunately is becoming the norm) is that it is the breakthrough of a kingdom not of this world. It isn't built around age, race, culture, gender, or socio-economic boundaries. It is a place where people of all nations, tribes and tongues gather together united in the worship of the triune God!

It is at church that we meet our brothers and sisters, who we otherwise might not associate with. People who have different political beliefs than us or come from a different cultural background...we all have Jesus in common and it is in the King's court that we stand united, diverse as we all may be! Such is the kingdom of the age to come! :cool:

Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If there was a way to make this image into an icon..I think it would be perfect...but that's just me. :)

05_08_89---Stone-Cross_web.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LiturgyInDMinor

Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Here's my sad attempt at making a graphic for a possible new icon!
Feel free to laugh. ;) If you are graphically inclined...go for editing it or adding to it. Or make your own perhaps?
We could make this into a fun exercise.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not Presbyterian or Christian (I think, not sure) but if anyone wants help with an icon I am willing to help. I love making little symbolic graphics and stuff.

That's excellent!
I honestly don't know if CF is going to do this, but you could find out from Tonks, he's one of the admins I've discussed the possibility with here.

Feel free to post some of your work. :)

Upvote 0