HiredGoon

Old School Presbyterian
Dec 16, 2003
✟4,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well it seems they tried it back in '04 and nothing ever came of it eh? :)

Right. And then sometime later, out of the blue we end up with the PC(USA) symbol because someone who I don't even think was Presbyterian proposed it to Erwin the old site owner.

Upvote 0

Aesjn

Mar 9, 2008
Tir nam Blath
✟880.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That's excellent!
I honestly don't know if CF is going to do this, but you could find out from Tonks, he's one of the admins I've discussed the possibility with here.

Feel free to post some of your work. :)

I tried creating some really nice ones but at the resolution the icons are at they're really nothing... Tried creating a simple one inspired by the Huguenot cross (Looking for stuff on Presbyterian symbols, they came up a lot, if they're totally unrelated sorry!), and here it is in a few different colors;

217428-albums2284-21073.png
217428-albums2284-21072.png
217428-albums2284-21074.png

It's hard to get anything to look good so small.

The one that came up the most was a Celtic cross type symbol but I think that would be confused with the Anglican one.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟49,042.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi folks,

I've had a few PMs about this...so I'm just going to post here. I say what I'm about to say not to be rude...just to be honest.

I'm not generally opposed to either the idea or the efforts. That being said...the decision is not ultimately mine (I don't pay the bills, here). Likewise, please refer back to my second post which can be found here...

I understand the PCUSA vs "whatever" logo can be a touch thing, it appears. But, as I noted, we're working on a bunch of other higher priority tech things at the moment...trying to reinstall some features and deal with some of the issues in the bugtraq...and we don't have a full-time coder.

I know that these things can sometimes take on a life of their own...so I just want you all to know upfront so we can avoid some gnashing of teeth if people begin to think that the process is "taking too long" or whatever.

Finally...in the last month or so there have been greater than 100 members on CF that wear the Presbyterian icon who have been active (ie: that have been posting on the site...I just ran the stats). To convince the owner to change we're probably going to need to hear from more than a handful of people.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aesjn

Mar 9, 2008
Tir nam Blath
✟880.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Those are awesome!
The Huguenot Cross came up a lot when I did some research into this.

Keep em coming. :)

217428-albums2284-21078.png
217428-albums2284-21076.png
217428-albums2284-21075.png
217428-albums2284-21077.png

These take seconds to make... The only hard part for them, really, would be figuring out what people want. Changing them, even for an infinite amount of web pages, takes absolutely no coding. You can change the image on an infinite number of web pages that have a link to a particular image without ever messing with the HTML in any of those pages. You just go to the image folder for the website and would delete "file x" and find the image you want to appear on those pages instead and upload it, name it "file x" and all those web pages are already pointed to it. Not hard (it would be hard (require you to actually code anything, and in which case it could be incredibly tedious) if you coded the web page to display an image as 10px wide and 20px tall, and the image you were replacing it with were 20px wide and 10px tall - but these pages aren't coded that way).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Celtic Rite Old Catholic Church
Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
217428-albums2284-21078.png
217428-albums2284-21075.png
217428-albums2284-21077.png

These take seconds to make... The only hard part for them, really, would be figuring out what people want. Changing them, even for an infinite amount of web pages, takes absolutely no coding. You can change the image on an infinite number of web pages that have a link to a particular image without ever messing with the HTML in any of those pages. You just go to the image folder for the website and would delete "file x" and find the image you want to appear on those pages instead and upload it, name it "file x" and all those web pages are already pointed to it. Not hard (it would be hard (require you to actually code anything, and in which case it could be incredibly tedious) if you coded the web page to display an image as 10px wide and 20px tall, and the image you were replacing it with were 20px wide and 10px tall - but these pages aren't coded that way).

I've been a web designer for a while now(frontpage/expression web, with php, sql, etc)...a network engineer for my day to day work...and I know it's not that difficult. I know that they may exist on another server...but a "file replaces a file" in the end....so it's not hard at all. Give me access and I'll do it. LOL
DISCLAIMER: IF there is an image server involved, and the current owner does not have the password to get into the files...well then...that's just out of luck for us here eh? I don't think that's the case.

So far noone has been against this idea...so I'm keeping it alive.

Man I love typing late at night. ;)

By the Grace of God we actually(what are the odds)have a brother here, THANKYOU Aesjn, who can actually create these little icons on the fly it seems. ;)
Good job Aesjn.

Our denom icon shows "identity" to others in this forum, especially when we post in other forums here besides in our home forum. That's where I am coming from. I'd like a fresh start for a fresh new presbyterian forum.

Keep them coming...I believe it's important enough to be kept an issue here.
BUT not such an issue as to interfere with the CF stuff Tonks mentioned!

My favorite one as of right now is this one:

I love your stuff brother!!!!!

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aesjn

Mar 9, 2008
Tir nam Blath
✟880.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The program I use to make those BTW is Inkscape which is totally free. There's some tutorials on the web and on youtube. You can create stuff like this very easy once you understand it,

3885850375_1bbed090a1_o.png

I should be doing my college homework and learning, but the website won't let me so I'm doing this...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LiturgyInDMinor

Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The current blue cross with the red flames at the bottom is the coolest faith icon on CF. Why change it?

God Bless You! :)

Sport it then my brother! ;):p:D:wave:

Actually it's an official logo of one branch of our church. the PC(USA)...it's biased.
And it represents liberal presbyterianism to a lot of people within our church. The PC(USA) whether we like it or not is the liberal branch of Presbyterianism...like the ELCA is of Lutheranism(see recent history). I would bet my paycheck on the simple fact that if the ELCA logo was chosen as the Lutheran CF icon, not one of the LCMS or the WELS lutherans would sport it...same situation here. IT's not warranted, and it's easily changed...despite what staff thinks...I've got experience in these things, ie forums using tis exact software come to find out.
vBulletin is not a hard program to master.

I won't wear this icon...due to this simple fact: it's a copyrighted logo of the PC(USA) plain and simple...it's not representative of Presbyterian as a whole, it is representative of ONE branch. And it has a legal copyright.
I am a Presbyterian, but not a member of the PC(USA)...see?
I know a lot of people past and present feel the same way. It's been an issue in the past.

Staff has other issues to work on(which is cool because as a former website admin, there is a priority list) so I'm not expecting this easy fix anytime soon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LiturgyInDMinor

Feb 20, 2009
✟7,265.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks NRB! I just think it's really cool looking LOL!

God Bless You, and best wishes to the new forum! :)

ROTFL..gee Allen...your new avatar roxxors!
It's 1337 man.
**1337 = LEET for those who don't know cool net speech. :thumbsup:^_^:clap::wave::p

Last edited:
Upvote 0