Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
True. There are modern developments in many nations to this very day that are not found in the undeveloped world.

Haran is an important Hurrian center, mentioned in the Nuzi tablets. The moon god, Sin was worshiped here. There are two cities not far from Haran; Ura and Urfa. Local tradition says that Abraham was born in Urfa.
Abraham's Ur
www.accuracyingenesis.com/ur.html

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Point being that there was NO Ur of the Chaldeans in the time of Abraham. There is an Urfa near Haran which was Canaanite.. Local legend puts Urfa as the original home of Terah and Abraham.
There is competing scholarship on the location.

Until 1850, “Ur of the Chaldees” was considered to be Urfa, near Haran, S. Turkey, where there is a local tradition of Abraham’s residence to which he sent in search for a wife for Isaac (Gen 24:1-10) from the “land of his nativity.” This view has been recently revived by Cyrus H. Gordon, who interprets the OT as implying a northern tradition (he places it at Ura’ near Harran) and that Abraham was a merchant prince. He considers that the term “Chaldee” can be adequately explained as a reference to N Mesopotamia (as he thinks is meant by Isa 23:13). Against this it must be noted that any tradition of Abraham at Urfa/Edessa goes back only to the 8th-9th cent. a.d. The OT scarcely implies that Abraham was a merchant or that he moved only a short distance from Ur to Haran. Moreover “the land of my nativity” (Gen 24:7) could equally be tr. “land of my kindred.” There are also several places called Ura’, one a seaport in Cilicia, another a Hitt. fortress in NE Anatolia.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Point being that there was NO Ur of the Chaldeans in the time of Abraham. There is an Urfa near Haran which was Canaanite.. Local legend puts Urfa as the original home of Terah and Abraham.
We know exhaustively what people called themselves back then?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Persian Gulf was a river in antiquity. The whole Arabian peninsula is slowly tipping Eastward. Between the tipping and the breech to the Arabian Sea the Gulf came into being.. Had nothing to do with Noah's flood.

I agree. Tectonic movement predates the flood and likely originated at the time of Lucifer's rebellion billions of years ago.

• Agree
Reactions: JohnAshton
Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
It is also plausible Abraham was a "top 1%er" when it came to his household and herds. Abraham came from the land of the Chaldeans and journeyed through Haran to Canaan. It just may be that Abraham was one of the first large clans of herdsmen who brought camels to Canaan.

If he came from Ur located south of Basra he may have been a Marsh Arab. They migrated there 6,000 years ago... They didn't have camels.

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I agree. Tectonic movement predates the flood and likely originated at the time of Lucifer's rebellion billions of years ago.

The Red Sea is still slowly parting too. Why would "Lucifer" have anything to do with plate tectonics?

Arabian Plate - African/Arabian Tectonic Plates
https://africa-arabia-plate.weebly.com/arabian-plate.html
The Red Sea has a spreading half rate of roughly 10mm/yr and the Gulf of Aden is believed to be a propagating rift opening westward at a rate of approximately 3 mm/yr (Vita-Finzi, 2001). As the Red Sea continued to open, the Arabian plate eventually collided with Eurasia and this collision zone is delineated by the Zagros Mountains.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You think Abraham wrote that portion of Genesis?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If he came from Ur located south of Basra he may have been a Marsh Arab. They migrated there 6,000 years ago... They didn't have camels.
He was in Haran before going to Canaan. There is ample evidence for domestication of camels for dairy and riding well before your copper mine source. Or are we arguing over one hump vs. two hump camels. I've ridden both.

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
He was in Haran before going to Canaan. There is ample evidence for domestication of camels for dairy and riding well before your copper mine source. Or are we arguing over one hump vs. two hump camels. I've ridden both.

I have only ridden camels in Arabia. The camel saddle is later than the 10th century BC and wasn't in wide use until the 2nd century BC .. according to the Arabs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

martymonster

Veteran
Dec 15, 2006
✟178,164.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I admire the thinking of a friend: "Let us not try to wrest the scriptures in an attempt to explain away what we cannot explain. The opening chapters of Genesis and scriptures related thereto were never intended as a textbook of geology, archaeology, earth-science, or man-science; Holy Scripture will endure, while the conceptions of men change with new discoveries. We do not show reverence for the scriptures when we misapply them through faulty interpretation."

Scriptural truth will forever last while our manmade conclusions will change with time and events.

What do you think?

There can be only one interpretation of scripture, and that is by scripture. Anything else leads to error.

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My personal application of scripture and scriptorians: religious authorities are authorities on religion, not on geology, archaeology, natural sciences, or social sciences. Human views adapt to new discoveries. Misapplying scriptures to reject knowledge is not God's way,

• Winner
Reactions: summerville
Upvote 0

PaulCyp1

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2018
Massachusetts
✟261,755.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You run into a lot of confusion when you simply take every verse of the Bible as literal fact. The Bible uses many literary styles to convey various truths. When we read a passage, instead of asking "Is this literally true?", We should ask "What is this passage intended to reveal to me"?.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Ted

This line of argumentation is very much out of character for you.

JackRT

Hi jack,

Thanks. However, I do believe that there is some value in calling a spade a spade. I think RLH actually addressed the argument on the basis of what evidence supports the argument and what evidence refutes it. I also provided some evidence in the post immediately preceding the one you're questioning, a line of evidence that camels had passed into the Eurasia continent as long as 3-5 million years ago. Putting them in the general area of Europe and the Middle East many, many thousands of years before this blogger says they wouldn't have existed.

Now personnaly, I discount the 3-5 million year hypothesis also, because I'm a young earth creationist, but I do allow that there must then be some evidence that camels existed in the area at least as far back as Abraham and his descendants.

Finally, as a few others have attested, I don't see why there would be any particularly valid reason that we wouldn't just accept the testimony of the Scriptures. There was a caravan of traders, using camels, who passed by the cistern in which they had thrown Joseph. The other brothers hailed the caravan and turned over their brother to them to be used as a slave. This action then leads to the salvation of the whole tribe of Israel when a great famine strikes the land. I'm rather at a loss as to why anyone who claims to be a believer, would question those simple facts just because there may be some disagreement as to when camels were 'considered' domesticated.

I understand that when archaeologists and such date a lot of their findings, that those dates are approximations. It isn't like they found a book that had a copyright date of 1925 B.C. where someone wrote, "Today I found this odd animal, locally refereed to as a camel, and I domesticated the first one. No, not at all. They find old records that mention camels. Maybe an account just as the one found in the Scriptures, and then they attempt to date how old the account is based on various findings in other evidence surrounding the find. But it's all relative guess work and there really isn't any real reason that such guess work may A: be off by a thousand years and B: not really be the first written record of such a thing, but only the first that has been unearthed.

Finally, I think it worth considering the times. Today, we can go down to the local Office Depot or Walmart or Office Max and buy reams of paper and cases of pens and pencils. We can spend our time writing down every word, every thought, every deed that comes along 'every' day. 4,000 years ago, while there was obviously writing, it wasn't as easy to write down everything that was going on in everyone's life. The Scriptures tell us that Abraham had large herds. Have we found a single bill of sale or record of Abraham's herds? What proof should we expect to find to verify such an account? So, I just think we should at least be mindful that finding evidence to support any position regarding how things happened thousands of years ago is difficult and sometimes even impossible.

RLH has provided some evidence that there were camels being used as domesticated animals to carry burdens in copper mines in the time of Solomon. Are we to believe that this was the first time that camels were ever used as working animals and, therefore, no one before King Solomon could have used camels? Or, is it more likely that camels had been used as animals of burden for some time before that, but this is the first written evidence of such? Today we live in an age where there are written accounts in magazines and newspapers all over the world that Tesla sold it's first truck. That kind of communication didn't exist 4,000 years ago.

4,000 years from now will anyone be able to find the records of the first time there was a Tesla truck? So, 'knowing' that something didn't exist because we only have records of such a thing existing later, isn't really any solid proof that the thing didn't exist previous to the first records that we've found.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi summerville,

Thanks for your response:
Shows that the invention of the North Arabian camel saddle in 300 B.C. provided Arab peoples with power, wealth and respect. Earliest saddle designs; North Arabian saddle's contribution to military effectiveness; Change in fighting styles; Arabs' involvement in regional economy;

I'd be interested in your study on this specific and particular claim. Does you evidence give the name and date of the first camel saddle made in North Arabia? Does it say that camels were never used by anyone previous to the Arabians using them as military animals?

What if man had been using camels for many, many centuries, but it wasn't until 300 B.C. that Arabians decided to try and use them as military tools? To do so, they configured a saddle that would make it more comfortable for a rider, whereas up until then, men had just thrown a couple of blankets over the animal. Are we to believe that the American Indian didn't use horses until saddles were invented, or at least the technology given to them from Europe? It is believed that Indians rode horses with only a bridle gear of sorts, basically just a leather strap going through their lower jaw, without saddles.

Since camels couldn't have been used before the invention of the saddle in Arabia in 300 B.C., does that mean that the indians didn't ride horses until the Europeans brought saddles?

I think it's a valid question when someone is trying to make the point that it was only with the invention of saddles that we can start to account for camels being used as beasts of burden.

Further, your link discusses when camels were domesticated in Israel. Friend, Israel didn't exist when Abraham lived. So, the camels we are told about in the account of Joseph could not have been from Israel. I'm actually in agreement that Israel may not have adopted the camel as a beast of burden for quite a while. They were also not supposed to put their trust in horses and so we don't find much record of horses 'in Israel', but that doesn't mean that the horse didn't exist and wasn't being used by other cultures at the time.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My personal application of scripture and scriptorians: religious authorities are authorities on religion, not on geology, archaeology, natural sciences, or social sciences. Human views adapt to new discoveries. Misapplying scriptures to reject knowledge is not God's way,
But you do realize in academia there are complimentary efforts across professions?

For example, the discoveries of Sir William Ramsay Roman historian and archaeologist.

Ramsay information:

To further illustrate, probably the three greatest American archaeologists of the twentieth century each had their liberal training modified by their archaeological work

William Mitchell Ramsay (Ramsay, William Mitchell, Sir, 1851-1939) | The Online Books Page

William Mitchell Ramsay - Wikipedia

Archeological Evidence - Evidences of the Bible

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have only ridden camels in Arabia. The camel saddle is later than the 10th century BC and wasn't in wide use until the 2nd century BC .. according to the Arabs.
So Abraham didn’t have any blankets to throw on the camel?

• Useful
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0