Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I admire the thinking of a friend: "Let us not try to wrest the scriptures in an attempt to explain away what we cannot explain. The opening chapters of Genesis and scriptures related thereto were never intended as a textbook of geology, archaeology, earth-science, or man-science; Holy Scripture will endure, while the conceptions of men change with new discoveries. We do not show reverence for the scriptures when we misapply them through faulty interpretation."

Scriptural truth will forever last while our manmade conclusions will change with time and events.

What do you think?

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Rabbi Brian Zachary Mayer wrote ~~~ I do not take the Bible literally. But I take it seriously. To take it literally would mean that I believe that every word, as it is written, was spoken by God. I cannot do that. But I can and do take it seriously. To take the Bible seriously means to examine it in its time and for the culture in which it was written. I want to offer up a very handy distinction that can help in our understanding of the Bible. That distinction I would like to make is revealed in the two words: true and truth. True is if it actually happened. It is a fact of history. Truth is the moral. It is the actual essence of things. I do not believe that most of the biblical stories are true stories. But I sure do believe that they are truth stories. It doesn’t matter to me if the Red Sea parted or if Noah had an ark. I don’t care if Jonah was swallowed by a whale or if that’s not necessarily factually so. To me, the great meaning of these stories has nothing to do with whether they’re historically accurate or not. Whether Jonah slept or didn’t sleep for three nights in the proverbial halibut hotel does not take away from the moral of the story – that it is human nature to run away from the things that we don’t want to do. I don’t believe this historically happened. I don’t believe Jonah was swallowed by a great fish and brought to the bottom of the sea-world after not doing what he knew he had to do. This is a truth story. Not a true story. This is a story about humanity, about me, about the troubles we get into when we don’t do what we should do and about how it will bring us down to the very bottom of our existence. It’s a truth story, not a true story. And if we look at the miracles in the Bible as truth stories, what we learn from these stories will be liberative for us. In this important way the Bible can be a very liberating force in our lives. If we read the Bible in this way we will probably fight less with what we read in the Bible. Moreover, seeking the "truth" of the stories can allow us to have meaningful conversations with people who might read the stories to be true stories rather than truth ones. The truth aspect of the story offers a place of connection between myself and those who read the words literally.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There is an old adage about interpreting scripture. "If the plain sense makes good sense, it is nonsense to seek any other sense." As for Jonah and the great fish. Since God created man and the fish if He wants to arrange for the fish to swallow a man and the man to remain alive I'm sure He could make that happen.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟841,286.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I admire the thinking of a friend

I'm not sure what your friend is saying. For my part, I have given some of my thoughts on why I don't think it is possible for one to read the opening chapters literally (see below). I think they are of great importance, but not historically. Their importance is theological.

It is not possible to take all of the creation account in Genesis literally.

It's unfortunate when those who insist on taking it literally then turn around and question the faith of those who don't. I see on here too often, and it's happened several times to me on these threads. And, if I had feelings, that would have hurt them. But, gratefully for me, I don't care what a literalist (or anyone else, for that matter) thinks of me.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I admire the thinking of a friend: "Let us not try to wrest the scriptures in an attempt to explain away what we cannot explain. The opening chapters of Genesis and scriptures related thereto were never intended as a textbook of geology, archaeology, earth-science, or man-science; Holy Scripture will endure, while the conceptions of men change with new discoveries. We do not show reverence for the scriptures when we misapply them through faulty interpretation."

Scriptural truth will forever last while our manmade conclusions will change with time and events.

What do you think?
Define how you are using literalism.

"Let us not try to wrest the scriptures in an attempt to explain away what we cannot explain. The opening chapters of Genesis and scriptures related thereto were never intended as a textbook of geology, archaeology, earth-science, or man-science
Perhaps but the Torah is human history. Probably the most important of human history because YHWH is directly communicating and revealing Himself to mankind.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is an old adage about interpreting scripture. "If the plain sense makes good sense, it is nonsense to seek any other sense." As for Jonah and the great fish. Since God created man and the fish if He wants to arrange for the fish to swallow a man and the man to remain alive I'm sure He could make that happen.
Wise words. Norman Geisler opined:

Confusing our Fallible Interpretations with God’s Infallible Revelation

Jesus affirmed that the “Scripture cannot be broken” (John 10:35, NASB). As an infallible book, the Bible is also irrevocable. Jesus declared, “Truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished” (Matt. 5:18; Luke 16:17, NASB). The Scriptures also have final authority, being the last word on all it discusses. Jesus employed the Bible to resist the tempter (see Matt. 4:4, 7, 10), to settle doctrinal disputes (see Matt. 21:42), and to vindicate his authority (see Mark 11:17). Sometimes a biblical teaching rests on a small historical detail (see Heb. 7:4-10), a word or phrase (see Acts 15:13-17), or the difference between the singular and the plural (see Gal. 3:16).

But, while the Bible is infallible, human interpretations are not. Even though God’s Word is perfect (see Ps. 19:7), as long as imperfect human beings exist, there will be misinterpretations of God’s Word and false views about his world. In view of this, one should not be hasty in assuming that a currently dominant assumption in science is the final word. Some of yesterday’s irrefutable laws are considered errors by today’s scientists. So, contradictions between popular opinions in science and widely accepted interpretations of the Bible can be expected. But this falls short of proving there is a real contradiction.

Are There Any Errors in the Bible? – NORMAN GEISLER

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi john,

I also find some ambiguity in your friend's comments. However, I'm sure, having had this conversation several times before, that I understand his point. While I don't agree with his point.

If I'm understanding correctly, your friend believes that we can't hold the Scriptures to be literally true, because they are not delivered to us as some college level, or even high school level chemistry or biology or higher math form of writing. The assumption being that because they aren't written with such a 'form' of writing, and haven't been studied and dissected as our modern college course works have been, they can't be believed as 'truth'.

My question: How do we determine what someone says or writes is true. I mean just basic reality of what is out there in the world...truth.

If someone says, "I visited my grandmother today." Is it assumed that because that statement isn't couched in modern scientific and higher mathematical terms, that it isn't a true statement?

If someone says, "My house is painted blue." Because we aren't shown the chemical makeup of the paint and what tint was used to make the paint blue and how it was applied with an airless sprayer or roller or brush, then the person isn't telling the truth about their house being painted blue?

God, in His word, if we agree with Paul that the Scriptures are actually the God-breathed revelation of Himself to man through the power and work of His Holy Spirit, has made a number of just plain declarative statements just like the two I've posted above. I just don't see the, what seems so obvious to people such as your friend, that the form of writing or whether it's written in a Harcourt Brace college chemistry book makes a whole lot of difference in whether the declarative statements that God has made in His word are...truth.

Perhaps you could explain it to me. Why does the form of how something is written provide any determination as to it's validity or truth?

Jesus said that God's word is truth. A simple declarative statement. Are we not to believe that God's word is truth because Jesus didn't phrase his statement in the form of some algebraic formula? I just can't seem to wrap my head around this idea that something must be written in some perceived scientific or mathematical formulary for it to be considered truth.

Personally, I believe that the argument stems from the understanding of the source of the information found in the Scriptures. People think that the Scriptures come from the same source as such ancient writings as the Gilgamesh epic, or the Iliad and the Odyssey. The Gilgamesh epic tells of a king who is claimed to be god-like, but it begins with his human existence and ends with his human existence. It covers a time span of maybe 100 years accounting for us the things done during the time of this king's existence. The Scriptures are not at all like that. Just the old covenant writings alone cover a span from the beginning of this created realm, according to the Scriptures, until just a couple of hundred years before a man by the name of Jesus walked among us claiming to be the Son of God. That's some 4,000 years of human history. Throughout the entire account there is this one single deity that presents Himself as the Creator of all things working throughout 4,000 years of history to bring about that man that was born who claimed himself to be the Son of God.

Yes, there are some asides, but for the most part, the book begins with God working to create, then God working to build up a nation, then that same God delivering and carrying that nation into a future of a promised land. So, I contend that we shouldn't try to compare the Scriptures to any other ancient written account of things, based solely on the expanse of time and continuity found in the Scriptures that are not found in any other writing. NONE!!

Anyway, I'd appreciate some explanation beyond just 'well they aren't presented as scientific' writings', to explain why their not being presented as scientific writings would really have any bearing on whether or not the declarative statements made by the God who is portrayed in them, shouldn't be trusted as true. God has had recorded at least twice in the Scriptures, that He Himself wrote down for the people of Israel, "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day." He also gave as His testimony in the very beginning account of the creation event that it lasted for the span of six days.

If you feel led, please explain to me why those declarative statements shouldn't be accepted as true because they aren't written in some form of scientific treatise as we might find in a modern book of scientific study.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi john,

I also find some ambiguity in your friend's comments. However, I'm sure, having had this conversation several times before, that I understand his point. While I don't agree with his point.

If I'm understanding correctly, your friend believes that we can't hold the Scriptures to be literally true, because they are not delivered to us as some college level, or even high school level chemistry or biology or higher math form of writing. The assumption being that because they aren't written with such a 'form' of writing, and haven't been studied and dissected as our modern college course works have been, they can't be believed as 'truth'.

My question: How do we determine what someone says or writes is true. I mean just basic reality of what is out there in the world...truth.

If someone says, "I visited my grandmother today." Is it assumed that because that statement isn't couched in modern scientific and higher mathematical terms, that it isn't a true statement?

If someone says, "My house is painted blue." Because we aren't shown the chemical makeup of the paint and what tint was used to make the paint blue and how it was applied with an airless sprayer or roller or brush, then the person isn't telling the truth about their house being painted blue?

God, in His word, if we agree with Paul that the Scriptures are actually the God-breathed revelation of Himself to man through the power and work of His Holy Spirit, has made a number of just plain declarative statements just like the two I've posted above. I just don't see the, what seems so obvious to people such as your friend, that the form of writing or whether it's written in a Harcourt Brace college chemistry book makes a whole lot of difference in whether the declarative statements that God has made in His word are...truth.

Perhaps you could explain it to me. Why does the form of how something is written provide any determination as to it's validity or truth?

Jesus said that God's word is truth. A simple declarative statement. Are we not to believe that God's word is truth because Jesus didn't phrase his statement in the form of some algebraic formula? I just can't seem to wrap my head around this idea that something must be written in some perceived scientific or mathematical formulary for it to be considered truth.

Personally, I believe that the argument stems from the understanding of the source of the information found in the Scriptures. People think that the Scriptures come from the same source as such ancient writings as the Gilgamesh epic, or the Iliad and the Odyssey. The Gilgamesh epic tells of a king who is claimed to be god-like, but it begins with his human existence and ends with his human existence. It covers a time span of maybe 100 years accounting for us the things done during the time of this king's existence. The Scriptures are not at all like that. Just the old covenant writings alone cover a span from the beginning of this created realm, according to the Scriptures, until just a couple of hundred years before a man by the name of Jesus walked among us claiming to be the Son of God. That's some 4,000 years of human history. Throughout the entire account there is this one single deity that presents Himself as the Creator of all things working throughout 4,000 years of history to bring about that man that was born who claimed himself to be the Son of God.

Yes, there are some asides, but for the most part, the book begins with God working to create, then God working to build up a nation, then that same God delivering and carrying that nation into a future of a promised land. So, I contend that we shouldn't try to compare the Scriptures to any other ancient written account of things, based solely on the expanse of time and continuity found in the Scriptures that are not found in any other writing. NONE!!

Anyway, I'd appreciate some explanation beyond just 'well they aren't presented as scientific' writings', to explain why their not being presented as scientific writings would really have any bearing on whether or not the declarative statements made by the God who is portrayed in them, shouldn't be trusted as true. God has had recorded at least twice in the Scriptures, that He Himself wrote down for the people of Israel, "For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day." He also gave as His testimony in the very beginning account of the creation event that it lasted for the span of six days.

If you feel led, please explain to me why those declarative statements shouldn't be accepted as true because they aren't written in some form of scientific treatise as we might find in a modern book of scientific study.

God bless,
In Christ, ted
Well said brother Ted. I think one of the huge obstacles for skeptics and the OT are the supernatural events or miracles. If one operates solely from a materialistic or naturalistic worldview, they must discount the miraculous in the OT and for that matter the NT. I said in another thread, why pick on the OT? The NT has Jesus dead three days and rising from the dead incorruptible and then glorified in His ascension. Those things just don't happen 'naturally.'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

True. Why such a story if it wasn't true?

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well said brother Ted. I think one of the huge obstacles for skeptics and the OT are the supernatural events or miracles. If one operates solely from a materialistic or naturalistic worldview, they must discount the miraculous in the OT and for that matter the NT. I said in another thread, why pick on the OT? The NT has Jesus dead three days and rising from the dead incorruptible and then glorified in His ascension. Those things just don't happen 'naturally.'

Hi RLH,

I agree wholeheartedly. Who in this modern day of 'science has all the answers and there is nothing outside of the natural causes of things' that science can't explain would believe that a shadow cast by the sun could go backwards? Who, with that basic foundation of all of their understanding, even consider that a mighty sea could part and a literal wall of water stand up as a sentinel for at least a few hours, as some million people walked through the created chasm? This brings out their basic complaint that if science can't answer it, then the validity is most certainly at least highly suspect.

Yes, despite our thinking today that miracles are really just things that happen when there is only a 1 in 100 chance that they would, a true miracle can never happen by the power and work of man. They only come from, and are created by, the God who has supernatural power over all things.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

What do you think?
When science and the Bible clash, I choose to believe the Bible every time. At one time in my life, I wanted to know and understand everything. An admirable desire, maybe, but completely unrealistic. Unless there are compelling reasons (obvious allegories for example), I take God's word at face value. Lord Jesus said a number of times, "It is written" and, "Have you not read?", quoting the OT. So I see no reason to doubt the Genesis accounts, the account of Job's suffering and restoration or the history of Israel.

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Wise words. Norman Geisler opined:

Confusing our Fallible Interpretations with God’s Infallible Revelation

Jesus affirmed that the “Scripture cannot be broken” (John 10:35, NASB). As an infallible book, the Bible is also irrevocable. Jesus declared, “Truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass away from the Law, until all is accomplished” (Matt. 5:18; Luke 16:17, NASB). The Scriptures also have final authority, being the last word on all it discusses. Jesus employed the Bible to resist the tempter (see Matt. 4:4, 7, 10), to settle doctrinal disputes (see Matt. 21:42), and to vindicate his authority (see Mark 11:17). Sometimes a biblical teaching rests on a small historical detail (see Heb. 7:4-10), a word or phrase (see Acts 15:13-17), or the difference between the singular and the plural (see Gal. 3:16).

But, while the Bible is infallible, human interpretations are not. Even though God’s Word is perfect (see Ps. 19:7), as long as imperfect human beings exist, there will be misinterpretations of God’s Word and false views about his world. In view of this, one should not be hasty in assuming that a currently dominant assumption in science is the final word. Some of yesterday’s irrefutable laws are considered errors by today’s scientists. So, contradictions between popular opinions in science and widely accepted interpretations of the Bible can be expected. But this falls short of proving there is a real contradiction.

Are There Any Errors in the Bible? – NORMAN GEISLER

Its been translated by men.

Why do you suppose there are so many anachronisms in scripture?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
True. Why such a story if it wasn't true?
It could not be literal, and be even more true.

Truth hidden in a good story, lasts longer and travels further than truth alone.

It's hidden nature also ensures that only those that seek it will discover it......leaving multitudes deaf and blind, while believing that they both hear and see....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi RLH,

I agree wholeheartedly. Who in this modern day of 'science has all the answers and there is nothing outside of the natural causes of things' that science can't explain would believe that a shadow cast by the sun could go backwards? Who, with that basic foundation of all of their understanding, even consider that a mighty sea could part and a literal wall of water stand up as a sentinel for at least a few hours, as some million people walked through the created chasm? This brings out their basic complaint that if science can't answer it, then the validity is most certainly at least highly suspect.

Yes, despite our thinking today that miracles are really just things that happen when there is only a 1 in 100 chance that they would, a true miracle can never happen by the power and work of man. They only come from, and are created by, the God who has supernatural power over all things.

God bless,
In Christ, ted

Camels, Ur of the Chaldeans for starters.

Archaeology Find: Camels In 'Bible' Are Literary Anachronisms
https://www.npr.org/2014/02/14/276782474/the-genesis-of-camels
Feb 14, 2014 · That's just one of dozens of camel cameos in the Bible, mostly in the book of Genesis, but scholars have long suspected that those camel caravans are a literary anachronism. And now more evidence from two Israeli archaeologists. Their radio carbon technology dated the earliest known remains of domesticated camels.

Upvote 0

summerville

Feb 22, 2020
Atlanta
✟11,428.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Biblical Glass Mirrors = Anachronism
Howsoever the Woman in Song of Songs knew she was beautiful, it could not have been by way of modern glass mirrors. These did not exist in the ancient world and the Bible does not know any. Both the 1611 King James and 1582 Douay-Rheims versions lie when they anachronistically betray Paul in 1 Corinthians 13:12

(KJV) For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Anachronism is killing our understanding of Sacred Scripture!

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What do you think?
Jesus and the rest of the Bible talk about it as a real history with real people and events. The Genesis flood is a good place to test it. There are a lot of good scientist who can show great evidence for this being a literal flood that did indeed cover the whole world. The genealogy proceeds from Adam and Eve to Noah and Eve. DNA testing shows we all have the same 1st two original parents.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟994,124.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its been translated by men.
Why do you suppose there are so many anachronisms in scripture?
Some folks don't rely on translations. I more or less grew up with king Jimmy but studied both Biblical languages at the graduate level almost 4 decades ago and have the most recent editions of the Hebrew and Greek lexicons. So if questions arise about something not being translated correctly I can quickly verify it. Earlier editions of both lexicons are available online. Strong's has been found to have about 15,000 errors or omissions.

A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature, Gingrich & Danker

https://ia601002.us.archive.org/25/items/bdbbrowndriverbriggshebrewandenglishlexiconoldtestament/BDB Brown-Driver-Briggs, HEBREW AND ENGLISH LEXICON OLD TESTAMENT.pdf

Upvote 0