Aug 17, 2008
Oregon, USA
✟15,159.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm confused. I'm trying to ask you questions and get to the heart of your belief so maybe we can make some progress in our discussion. If, when I ask a question, you merely state I am a "quarrelsome lot", it is hard to get to the heart of the discussion.

I am not 25, I am 61, but I can not seem to fix that on my profile.

Barky:

I am sorry. I will try to state my beliefs in a short reply and then I have to get back to my study. I am not doing well with that because I am so apprehensive and conflicted about school. I don't want to be an Electrician any more, but I have to do it because I am almost starving. So, somehow, I have to just force myself to complete it.

My present belief: I adore God. Actually "God" doesn't really do it for me because he is often referred to as "father", and for me a Father is the one who gives out constant punishment and unkindness. So, for me, Allah SWT fits better because I can see him as one who loves me and is kind to me. So, if you could allow me that one concession, please?

So, we know that I adore Allah SWT, I am a very progressive Muslim, and that means that I don't do violence of any sort, never look at anyone as haram (a bad thing to think about anyone), don't hijab that much, and probably don't pray as much as I ought.

I own several Bibles but no Qur'an at the moment. As I said before, I attend an ELCA Lutheran Church, but don't consider myself to be a good Lutheran. It is best to consider me to be a transient searcher.

Now, I must return to my studies, though I hate them. After October 1st things should be better. I really want to study Orthodoxy.

Many blessings to you.

Hala M

Upvote 0

HalaM

Aug 17, 2008
Oregon, USA
✟15,159.00
Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thanks for the reassurance. I can't talk much any more. I really have to get back to work and I am so frightened that I am having trouble being calm. I have two and a half 8 hour courses to complete. I got the money to finish school. Yaaaaayyyy!

I can come back more after October 1. I am still very curious about Orthodoxy.

Many Blessings

Hala M

Upvote 0

They rally 'round the family
Feb 23, 2008
✟12,217.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My present belief: I adore God. Actually "God" doesn't really do it for me because he is often referred to as "father", and for me a Father is the one who gives out constant punishment and unkindness. So, for me, Allah SWT fits better because I can see him as one who loves me and is kind to me. So, if you could allow me that one concession, please?
I went through something similar after a very traumatic event that I've never fully recovered from. Only it was mother goddess...not allah. Islam is even more male-dom than Christianity, which really turns me off.
Thanks for the reassurance. I can't talk much any more. I really have to get back to work and I am so frightened that I am having trouble being calm. I have two and a half 8 hour courses to complete. I got the money to finish school. Yaaaaayyyy!

I can come back more after October 1. I am still very curious about Orthodoxy.

Many Blessings

Hala M
Prayers for you.
Thank you so much for the link. I can't read it right now in spite of the fact that it is what I want to do most!

Many Blessings

Hala M
Little bit confusing there. Mind letting us know who your talking to? Also, pm's are a great way to have a private discussion, just click a person's screen name and click to send them a private message.

Reactions: ma2000
Upvote 0

Protoevangel

Smash the Patriarchy!
Feb 6, 2004
Eugene, OR
✟33,297.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
I am not 25, I am 61, but I can not seem to fix that on my profile.
Any administrator should be able to help you fix this. I'm sure Gwenyfur would be happy to help you with that.

Barky:

I am sorry. I will try to state my beliefs in a short reply and then I have to get back to my study. I am not doing well with that because I am so apprehensive and conflicted about school. I don't want to be an Electrician any more, but I have to do it because I am almost starving. So, somehow, I have to just force myself to complete it.

So, we know that I adore Allah SWT, I am a very progressive Muslim, and that means that I don't do violence of any sort, never look at anyone as haram (a bad thing to think about anyone), don't hijab that much, and probably don't pray as much as I ought.

I own several Bibles but no Qur'an at the moment. As I said before, I attend an ELCA Lutheran Church, but don't consider myself to be a good Lutheran. It is best to consider me to be a transient searcher.
I can't say I understand your situation regarding Father. I do sympathize, however.

But you don't have to identify with Islam to use the name Allah to refer to God. That is the Arabic name for God. Many at my Antiochian Orthodox parish use the name Allah, when referring to God.

Now, I must return to my studies, though I hate them. After October 1st things should be better. I really want to study Orthodoxy.

Many blessings to you.

Hala M
I will keep you in my prayers.
OrthoPrayer.gif

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.