Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I remember another one that no one else remembers when I ask them. It was a television show called "land of the lost" ..a family deserted in a land with dinosaurs and lived in a cave. I loved that show..

I used to watch it before school.. it had a cool (intro) theme song.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I also used to enjoy the One to Grow On series. They were short sketches shown on Saturday morning designed to teach kids how to properly handle their problems, explained by a popular actor/actress of the time. The sketches always ended with kids doing the right thing. They were gems. Kids today aren't exposed to this type of programming.

Here's one featuring Kim Fields (Facts of Life)

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
used to enjoy the One to Grow On series. They were short sketches shown on Saturday morning designed to teach kids how to properly handle their problems, explained by a popular actor/actress of the time. Kim Fields (Facts of Life)

WW, yeah I remember 'em. I think they were an NBC thing. Because I think Jonathan Silverman (Gimme a Break) used to do one also (?) NBC used to do those More You Know clips too right (?)

The old He-Man cartoon used to always have a brief moral instruction at the end also..

• Friendly
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
WW, yeah I remember 'em. I think they were an NBC thing. Because I think Jonathan Silverman (Gimme a Break) used to do one also (?) NBC used to do those More You Know clips too right (?)

The old He-Man cartoon used to always have a brief moral instruction at the end also..

Yes, I believe they were NBC (sort of like the Schoolhouse Rock series was on ABC). Youtube has a couple of videos with compilations of some of these sketches (and I still don't think it scratches the surface of every single one of them that was made).

As for He-Man, I don't remember a lot of detail about that one, as it was not my favorite though I sometimes watched it. What I do know is most cartoons (and other children's programming) did tend to have morals, or at least had great themes/storylines and just good clean fun, in general. It's just great to remember these things, as well as compare/contrast them with today's programming aimed at youth. A few things may be similar, but it seems we find more differences than anything else.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I remember wearing these items as a little girl when I wore ponytails/pigtails.

0df11a6aac81fb7d4f521fbd2ab690f3.jpg

il_570xN.1036879281_3p4k.jpg

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I still have those twin bead pony tail holders! :angel: Too bad they cause breakage to hair.

I may have some floating around somewhere, but not sure where they could be. And I see what you mean about them causing breakage to the hair, especially with excessive use. The yarn hair ribbons probably aren't as bad, though. And they seemed to remain popular with little girls 10 and under for a longer period of time, like perhaps from the late '60s/early '70s (Cindy Brady comes to mind) through the early '90s. The peak period, though, seemed to be the late '70s/early '80s when I (and many others here, of course) were little. One example is found in an old Latter Day Saints PSA circa 1980 showing a little girl in a sailor dress and yarn ribbons tied in bows on her ponytails. I can't post it, but it can easily be found by searching Youtube with the phrase "mormon commercial '80s listening". It is the eighth one down, I believe, and it will be obvious. (I actually remember that commercial!)

Reactions: *LILAC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Piped-in Kmart music from the '70s and '80s! We just don't have this anymore. The end of an era has dawned, sadly.

Now I hear that young people love to take this (and other stuff) and turn it into something called "vaporwave", which, as much as I enjoy finding new and unique things in the music realm, I am still struggling to understand. I heard about "vaporwave" through Watchmojo on their video about unusual music genres, and through my own casual research it seems to me that "vaporwavers" love to add their "special touch" to old Kmart radio tapes. It's interesting in a sense, but I'm still not quite getting it. :scratch:

Oh, well............... :|

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Random stuff!

80s TV stars:
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polop...gen/derivatives/gallery_1200/80s-tv-stars.jpg

Gemco Stores:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3195/2679516896_2462f99df0_z.jpg

Jelly shoes:
http://social.rollins.edu/wpsites/filmsofthe80s/files/2014/05/jelly-shoesss.jpg

Strolling Bowling (a game I actually had as a kid):
http://www.dejavuantiquesandcollectables.com/IMAGES/Strolling Bowling 1.JPG

(Tried copying image address, but when I posted them they turned out to be little blocks with x's. So here are the links to the images; should be able to see them after clicking on to each one!)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I remember wearing these items as a little girl when I wore ponytails/pigtails.

0df11a6aac81fb7d4f521fbd2ab690f3.jpg

il_570xN.1036879281_3p4k.jpg

Since this in Fabulous Forties, essentially reminiscence of 80s childhood(s).. Two additional, dated styles I remember from girls in the 80s: leg-warmers (basically thick socks worn on the outside of pants/tights) & jelly shoes (circa 1984).
Lot of my earliest crushes involved leg-warmers & jellies..
(Wouldn't be let me paste my image of jelly shoes ?)

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
And who can forget our old friends the Cabbage Patch Kids?!

http://www.honcho-sfx.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Cabbage-Patch-Kids.jpg

Yes, the craze was huge in the early to mid-1980s! They were so stinking ugly they were stinking cute, but I think that's what everyone loved about them. I didn't have an authentic one, but a imitation one somebody made. I still have it, but it is packed away at present.

There was also a set of about eight Cabbage Patch Kids books put out by Parker Brothers. I only had one of them, and it was called The Shyest Kid in the Patch and a story I related to at the time because I was kind of like the main character. I no longer have this book in my possession sadly, but I was recently able to find a video on Youtube of a young woman reading the book (apparently from an educational channel designed for homeschooling purposes). Here is the video:

• Friendly
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I absolutely loved them! I had three, and one of the knock-off doll babies.

I wanted to get my sons each a Cabbage Patch Kid, but I was strongly discouraged by my family and (then)husband. They made boy dolls, and I didn't see why it was a big deal. Boys who play with dolls have a tendency to be nurturing fathers.

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
And who can forget our old friends the Cabbage Patch Kids..

Two strong impressions/memories I have of Cabbage Patch:
As a kid, I was amazed that each doll was issued a birth certificate..
And I remember (circa 1984), there was a serious soccer-mom fight at a local department store, over the last remaining Christmas stock of Cabbage Patches. Funny, but sad..

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I wanted to get my sons each a Cabbage Patch Kid, but I was strongly discouraged by my family and (then)husband..

The stuffed characters for guys, that I dug as a kid.. were the NFL Huddles:
d2119a9a54c5bc4f9fca19fa10401d95.jpg

(Somebody help me out, my pasted photos aren't posting the last few days ?)

• Friendly
Upvote 0