✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
"...in a world of criminals who operate above the law..."

Anyone who knows that now has the music ear-wormed..

We need Michael Knight now more than ever..

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
David Hasselhoff.jpg

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Knight Rider would be a great show to watch again. I haven't seen it for a long time! William Daniels was the voice-over for KITT, and a few years later portrayed Mr. Feeney on Boy Meets World. He is still alive at the age of 91.

Aq3TfbFpNQ1BBEjuvBTjzDMqcBW.jpg

• Friendly
Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Who remembers the Open Court Basic Readers from grade school days? As one who has always loved to read, I recall them pretty well. The stories and poetry in them were memorable. I can find some of the pieces online (the poem entitled Peas With Honey, The Goops, and Narcissa) while others are a bit more difficult to find (Giacco and His Bean). The books actually appeared to have been compiled in the 1960s but were obviously being used in the early 1980s when I was in elementary school. It was a pleasure to read them. I think kids today should read stuff like this.

Here is what one of the covers looked like. This was the second grade reader, if I recall correctly.

trip thru wonderland.jpg

Reactions: JAM2b
Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Who remembers the Open Court Basic Readers from grade school days? As one who has always loved to read, I recall them pretty well. The stories and poetry in them were memorable.. The books actually appeared to have been compiled in the 1960s but were obviously being used in the early 1980s when I was in elementary school.

Wanna, I don't remember this specific series ^.. but I do remember the Scholastic book fliers that used to circulate schools in the 80s. It was like a newsprint catalog (like a tabloid, or Parade magazine, etc), w/all the books for sale thru the school. It was cool; I liked picking out a stack of books. Then my parents would have me narrow my practical wish list down to almost nothing.. I also liked the annual book fairs in our school library. I'd always snatch up football & sports trivia reads.

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Yes, every school does things differently. Guess I should have known that the chance was slim that some here would remember them. I don't remember the book fliers. However, I do remember Weekly Readers which were usually based on classroom curriculum. I enjoyed reading them, although no particular issue or theme stands out to me at the moment.

They looked something like this:

weeklyreader82.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
Oh... and I'm sure a lot us here would agree (who ate "hot lunch" most of the time in grade school) that the school spaghetti was practically the grossest stuff on Planet Earth! Yet staff on duty during lunch period wouldn't let us leave for recess until we've eaten pretty much everything, forcing us to gag down every disgusting morsel. I have always had problems with squishy, mushy noodles (and still do!) so spaghetti day was the worst. I'd post an example, but I don't want to cause anyone to hurl, including myself!

Well, that all changed once we entered junior high/middle school. Thankfully!

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yet staff on duty during lunch period wouldn't let us leave for recess until we've eaten pretty much everything, forcing us to gag down every disgusting morsel.

wow, you must have had mean lunch ladies, lol!

my kid says kids that buy lunch throw away frt/ veggies

mostly our kid brings lunch but maybe once/twice mos, let her buy
strangely tho, she often come home with a stomachache those days so am wondering about the quality of the food there!

• Friendly
Reactions: WannaWitness
Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
wow, you must have had mean lunch ladies, lol!

my kid says kids that buy lunch throw away frt/ veggies

mostly our kid brings lunch but maybe once/twice mos, let her buy
strangely tho, she often come home with a stomachache those days so am wondering about the quality of the food there!

Well, I wouldn't say mean now that I look back upon it, but more like strict. Probably just didn't want to see anything wasted. But it might have helped if they had made better food, in general. Hot dogs were probably the runner-up in my book as the second most disgusting meal. The school pizza was okay (it was always French bread pizza), and the hamburgers were passable (just dry and lacked flavor).

I do remember taking my own lunch very occasionally. I also remember how they separated the "hot lunch" kids from the "cold lunch" kids in the cafeteria. I don't know why they did that, but I guess they had their reasons.

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I do remember taking my own lunch very occasionally.

we always send a frt and a veggies with kid's lunch
one day in K, we had some baby carrots at home but our kid wouldn't eat them and I said but you eat them at school

then learned she'd been asking for dip at school whenever we sent carrots! (I was so embarrassed)
so started buying little dip pkgs for her to bring to school

• Friendly
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
we always send a frt and a veggies with kid's lunch
one day in K, we had some baby carrots at home but our kid wouldn't eat them and I said but you eat them at school

then learned she'd been asking for dip at school whenever we sent carrots! (I was so embarrassed)
so started buying little dip pkgs for her to bring to school

That's a good idea about the dip. Usually, kids do have problems with eating vegetables unless they have a dip to go with it. Past or present.

Oddly enough, I've never had much of an issue with eating fruit and vegetables, even spinach. The only vegetable I couldn't stand was onions. I don't know, I just didn't like onion in anything, no matter what it was. Always thought it ruined the flavor. However, I appreciate a little bit of onion now, as my tastes have changed in that way over the past few years (still don't like things too oniony, but enough to where it actually adds to the flavor).

• Friendly
Reactions: mama2one
Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 234557

Again, I'm aware that some will not remember these seeing that every place is different.

True, every region of the country had variations of curriculum & habits.. but I assume there were some universal practices shared by public schools..
I remember in the 8os, the heavy TVs & wood panelled VCRs being rolled in to class for the ocassional televised treat. We'd watch stuff on PBS like Mulligan's Stew, etc.
As an adult, I worked in LA w/one of the child actresses from Mulligan's. She had a decent child acting career (including an episode of Wonder Woman). Small world..

Upvote 0

Babe Ruth

Nov 10, 2017
Southeastern USA
✟55,065.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Who remembers our old buddy Louie the Lightning Bug? He taught us all about how to "play it safe" around electricity. Back when PSAs were informative and fun at the same time.

View attachment 234900

I also remember Energy Ant (circa 1981).
And remember circa 1987, they used to have public service commercials on Saturdays, about litter/recycling etc. U had to send a hand written letter to request more info. Seemed like the addresses were always Pueblo, CO.

I thought Pueblo was a funny name for a town.

• Friendly
Upvote 0