ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
in Romans 14:22 Paul writes; "You may believe that there's nothing wrong with what you are doing, but keep it between yourself and God. Blessed are those who don't feel guilty about something they have decided is right." Basically he's saying that if there is no clear command in the bible that something is wrong then you must follow the convictions of the Holy Spirit on your conscience. if you don't feel that having ur ears pierced then it is not a sin.
However, love for one another overides all convictions. in verse 15 of the same chapter he writes, "And if another believer is distressed by what you eat, you are not acting in love if you eat it. Don't let your eating ruin someone for whom Christ died." this applies to every action and conviction, not just eating.
I completely agree with the very 1st reply in this thread that said to live for Jesus not ur family or yourself. Jesus said to love one another as He has loved us.
If ear piercings offend ur mother, u should act in love rather than wat u want or feel is right.
Talk to her and listen to her and make sure she listens to u as well and try to compromise...which goes both ways:)

That there is pretty good advice, young man!

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2013
Connecticut, USA
✟15,662.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am wearing my earrings to bed. :)
I did have a anti-tragus ear piercing in each ear last year, but they got infected. One ear was very bad so I took an anti-biotic for a while.

I do think that much of what SDAs have been doing for many years is do things according to church founding fathers. What they did and said goes.

Upvote 0
I

III Angeli Nuntius

I had my ears pierced at age 30. Finally. I ended up taking them out for a SDA wedding and one hole closed up on me. That was before the six week period I was supposed to have them in.
I had them re-pierced. My mother thinks I'm going to hell.

I am turning 33 next week and my mother thinks I'm off the deep end because I wear earrings.

I have asked myself why it took me so long. It was because I wanted to be accepted by people. I wanted to please my family.

I now have to live for myself.
Are you now of more value because of the ear-rings? Do you see yourself as of more worth because of false metals in the ear, cheap tin and brass, or are they real gold, silver and diamonds? When you look in the mirror without them, do you see worthlessness or less value or less beauty? Perhaps you feel now more accepted by those not of your family? Why could they not accept you before as Christ Jesus had?

Christ died for you, and such infinite value was paid. Do you doubt this?

Perhaps earrings are not enough to cover the hideousness of the person, perhaps makeup is needed and goo and gel, or glittering clothing to cover the person, or artistic design scrawled upon your person, or wait yet, what about surgery to correct all those terrible flaws, and unwanted things, I mean afterall, you are yours right, not bought with such a price, as the price the Son of God paid? Think - please.

Now you must deal with infections and tearing, and swabbing of alcohol and a maintanence which you did not have before. Now there is a rift between you and your mother which was not originally there. Is this in honour of your Mother?, you know that 5th Commandment? Such wondrous love as of Christ Jesus must have borne this idea to desire such, yes? I ask in sincerity, think about the motivation which caused you to do this.

You now spend money upon this as to adorn yourself, and why?, as opposed to help others or spread the everlasting gospel with monies which are not your own, but His. Is the root selfish, or unselfish? Christ or self?

"Wanted to please your family?" "Be accepted?" The first thought is pleasing your Father which is in Heaven, and also like unto Paul, I will do nothing which cause my brother to stumble or fall. So many miss the point of Romans 14. You should realise that we which are in Christ Jesus, are already accepted, in Him, the beloved, and in Him is no sin.

Deep end? No, but the first steps to the broad road, for one compromise leads to another. Scripture and the Spirit of Prophecy [which comes of Scripture] is clear in these matters, but others will seek to justify you, and it is pleasing to the unregenerated heart to hear it. It pets self.

Go on, Eve... eat the fruit, its only a small bite... [said the serpent].

"Live for yourself...", a sad statement, and in contradiction to the Scripture:

I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. Galatians 2:20

Child, Christ Jesus loves you, but if you could see His face, what sadness there. Open His word, and look for yourself, and you will see the expression there.

Satan believes in piercings - just ask Jesus.

Fear God, and give glory unto Him... if only we understood that verse in all its meaning. Do you think worship involves merely a day, it involves all that we do.

Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; 1 Peter 3:3

Many texts and an entire study could be done on the subject of jewelry, piercings and the like, but it would not matter, and will not change the stubborn willful heart. Only considering Christ Jesus, in His whole life, from childhood unto Death and even now in the Most Holy, will convince you, and the Holy Spirit to plead with you.

God knows your heart and motives, they are not hid from Him who sees all, knows all.

This world is soon to come to a close, and so many are leaping back into the ways of the world... by this they say in their heart... My Lord delayeth His coming...

I tell you, by the Word of God, it is sooner than most are even ready for.

Consider, Christ Jesus, looking upon you, and seeing what you have done to the ears which He formed and made. By your actions you say He was wrong, and needed something extra. This places you above Jesus, whether it is understood or not. Think child. Satan also stands by, accusing, both you and also the one you claim as Lord and Saviour, but in reality we are the servant of the one whom we obey.

I pray you consider the heart of Christ Jesus in what is done.

Calvary, Christ, suffering for the sins of the whole world... lifted up, exalted, crowned, King with arms outstretched to receive all who will come unto Him no matter their sin, all but the rejection of His Holy Spirit, who even now speaks to you.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus does not condemn woman for wearing jewelry, religion does. Are men any more valuable when they wear suits and ties with nice shoes? The Bible says, don't let your beauty merely be in outward adornment. In other words, don't base your beauty on what you look like because real beauty comes from within. This is why God looks at the heart. This is not saying wearing jewelry, suits, ties and so on is sinful or wrong.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Read chapter 32 and 33. They were wild. As you read through the Bible you will find verses that speak positive and verses that speak negative about jewelry and it's never about the jewelry, but rather, about the attitude and motive.

This much I understand. And one's attitude can be swayed very much by the way they adorne/dress themselves. There is a connection.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:confused:Yes, why is a woman's simple necklace wrong when a man can wear a tie and that's fine?

Sometimes the tie can even cost more than the necklace and don't forget the tie clip. Jesus wore a very expensive tunic. It was very well made in that it had no seams. That's why the soldiers wanted it and even gambled for it.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This much I understand. And one's attitude can be swayed very much by the way they adorne/dress themselves. There is a connection.

I agree that how we dress or even not dress can effect our attitude but that's against the one with the attitude, not what they are wearing. We must not throw the baby out with the bath water. There are religious people who have the same wrong attitude in dressing humbly. They think that they are more holy if they dress a certain way but pride has many faces.

Upvote 0

Stryder06

Check the signature
Jan 9, 2009
✟31,839.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I agree that how we dress or even not dress can effect our attitude but that's against the one with the attitude, not what they are wearing. We must not throw the baby out with the bath water. There are religious people who have the same wrong attitude in dressing humbly. They think that they are more holy if they dress a certain way but pride has many faces.

I understand both sides of the argument. Trust me I do. I have a more conservative background though. It's something I simply feel uncomfortable with for the most part, and thus I choose to err on the side of caution, so to speak.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand both sides of the argument. Trust me I do. I have a more conservative background though. It's something I simply feel uncomfortable with for the most part, and thus I choose to err on the side of caution, so to speak.

Fair enough but we must be careful not to establish standards for others by using our personal feelings on any particular matter where God has granted freedom with responsibility.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
I

III Angeli Nuntius

As, stated, it will not matter to the unregenerated heart what scripture states plainly, nor of the Spirit of Prophecy, for excuse after excuse, sympathizers joining in with their apostate voices, which are condemned and reprobate concerning the faith, false apostles, evil men and seducers, which wax worse and worse, deceiving and being deceived, having a form of godliness by denying the power thereof, sneaking in, leading away "silly women laden with sins, led away with diverse lusts", compromise after compromise of thought will win over, it's only a small earring, it is barely jewelry, it is hardly outward adornment, its inexpensive, it is hardly noticeable, they are only small holes in the TEMPLE OF THE HOLY AND LIVING GOD!!! [think child!, "If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are." 1 Corinthians 3:17], and yet God sees it all, and in the meantime satan will then have you fully convinced... and in the end it will seem your own thought, fully justified in the sin, sure of yourself that Jesus approves of your debasing, willfull and prideful act of rebellion, as deceived as the pharisees.

Do you not realize that even the Romans thought to "beautify" the temple with a golden piece of workmanship? Yet, it is idolatry! The very word used in 1 Corinthians 3:17 for "defile" means "1) to corrupt, to destroy, a) in the opinion of the Jews, the temple was corrupted or "destroyed" when anyone defiled or in the slightest degree damaged anything in it, or if its guardians neglected their duties; b) to lead away a Christian church from that state of knowledge and holiness in which it ought to abide; c) to be destroyed, to perish d) in an ethical sense, to corrupt, deprave.."

Have you not drilled a hole in the Temple of the Living God, Jesus Christ? Would that not be directly damaging His Temple? Child, please, please... come back to Jesus, look at Him, He still carries the holes placed there by us, in His own Body! Will you add now more to that body which He made for you?

"... I could but feel that it was contrary to the spirit of the gospel to devote God-given time and means to the decoration of our persons; that humility and self-denial would be more befitting those whose sins had cost the infinite sacrifice of the Son of God. ..."

"...As Jacob thus reviewed the goodness and mercy of God to him, his own heart was subdued and humbled; and he had taken the most effectual way to reach the hearts of his children, and lead them to reverence the God of Heaven when they arrived at Bethel. Not in the least did any of his family hesitate to obey his commands. All that were with him delivered up their idols, and also their earrings, and he buried them under an oak near Shechem. The patriarch felt that humiliation before God was more in keeping with their position than was the wearing of gold and silver ornaments.

Jacob had now done his duty in cleansing his household from idolatry,..."

"... Rebuke—In the third chapter of Isaiah’s prophecy mention is made of the prevailing pride of the “daughters of Zion,” with “their tinkling ornaments, ... the chains, and the bracelets, and the mufflers, the bonnets, ... and the headbands, and the tablets, and the earrings, the rings, and nose jewels, the changeable suits of apparel, and the mantles, and the wimples, and the crisping pins, the glasses, and the fine linen, and the hoods, and the vails.” Verses 18-23. How different this picture from that portrayed by the apostle Peter of the God-fearing woman, who, estimating at its real value the “outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel,” chooses rather to cultivate beauty of soul, “even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.” It was “after this manner in the old time” that “the holy women ... who trusted in God, adorned themselves”; and their “chaste conversation coupled with fear” (1 Peter 3:1-5), as revealed in daily life, was ever a standing rebuke to their sisters who followed after folly (The Review and Herald, March 4, 1915). ..."

"...Before accepting the truth, she had followed the fashions of the world in her dress, and had worn costly jewelry and other ornaments; but upon deciding to obey the word of God, she felt that its teachings required her to lay aside all extravagant and superfluous adorning. She was taught that Seventh-day Adventists did not wear jewelry, gold, silver, or precious stones, and that they did not conform to worldly fashions in their dress. ..."

Please, hear, listen to what the Holy Spirit pleads with you, for if you reject the counsel of His Word, and reject the Messengers whom He has chosen, whom in the end will you reject? Ask Herod.

If you are truly Seventh Day Adventist in heart, then please read the following - Jewelry , but if not, do as you please and continue with the name, but know that the outward name means nothing, unless it is in the heart, then go and read Luke 16, for it is for those which take the name Seventh Day Adventists to understand.

Call your mother, hear her voice, and see her love for you, talk with her about these things, then consider again why you have decided to place a barrier and a rift between you and her in this thing, and if as you say it is so small a thing, trifiling really, nothing to be so worked up about, then really, you would not have had to come into the forum with it, you would not have sought justification.

It is pitiable that many women and girls, which make the claim to love and follow Jesus, that then do these things to outwardly bedeck themselves. It is sad.

I will do what I want, Lord.

Lord, not my will but thine be done.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes the tie can even cost more than the necklace and don't forget the tie clip. Jesus wore a very expensive tunic. It was very well made in that it had no seams. That's why the soldiers wanted it and even gambled for it.

In SDA circles a man can wear a $700 suit and a silk tie with a 24c tie clip wearing a Rolex after driving up in a new Mercedes, but a woman can't wear a $5 necklace she bought at a yard sale. I've seen it happen. Go figure.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

REDBEAR

Mar 9, 2013
✟15,117.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ButterflyPoette,
Can see your point, and at 33 there you go. Worry about your mother or God?
First worry about God. What is done is done and as Jesus said, don't sin no more. The question is what have you done? I dont think you have broken the 10 Commandments but only God can pass that onto you.

Our God is love. We get to heaven by faith, and faith by works, as James said. We have to balance it all off. Our body is a temple of God and as you said your body grew over the hole. That might be saying it doesn't like holes.

But only you can get through judgement with God and that alone leaves these sort of things to your wisdom. You are praying and asking God. He will tell you.

Others may judge but that is to their record.

The key is its by Faith that we get into heaven, and all the while keeping the 10 Cs.

Time will tell if your Ma is right or wrong, We have a duty to obey our parents but we must ask...where is the ít is written on it.

We see in the bible alot of writting to put away gold and money. The root of all evil is love of money. So have to be careful that we don't blow money on the ears that could go to a worthy cause. Only you can know that.

There is counsel to take off errings, rings and the rest. See that above and again in Isaiah. Yet in Ezekeil 16 God says he decked us in earrings and gold - and the key was we did not "trust in thine own beauty" which was the problem.

hope this helps
Red bear

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
In SDA circles a man can wear a $700 suit and a silk tie with a 24c tie clip wearing a Rolex after driving up in a new Mercedes, but a woman can't wear a $5 necklace she bought at a yard sale. I've seen it happen. Go figure.
I saw it happen in a baptist Church recently so whats your point?

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
I am wearing my earrings to bed. :)
I did have a anti-tragus ear piercing in each ear last year, but they got infected. One ear was very bad so I took an anti-biotic for a while.

I do think that much of what SDAs have been doing for many years is do things according to church founding fathers. What they did and said goes.
You should take them out overnight and disinfect the site where you have piercings to avoid ongoing problems with infection. Just a few nights of doing that should clear it up. But don't do it too long or the hole will grow back in.

I used to have a diamond stud in one ear. But it was before I joined any church that i chose to not wear it anymore.

A lot of our churches now are trying to love people who are different than us. I hope you find a few of them over where you are:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ricker

Feb 25, 2007
Minnesota
✟19,844.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I saw it happen in a baptist Church recently so whats your point?

You saw someone chastising a woman in a Baptist church for wearing an inexpensive necklace? Does that make it right? You don't see the hypocracy and disconnect when men can wear $700 suits and Rolex's?

The rules must be different for Baptists where you live. I've attended a Baptist church here many times and seen prominant ladies wear necklaces and even earrings without censure.

Edit to add: To be fair, and since you asked, I shouldn't presume you understood my point. My point is that a man can spend hundreds and even thousands of dollars to try to impress onlookers and try to make himself look good and this is accepted in the Seventh Day Adventist church, while at the same time a lady is considered less than honorable if she wears a necklace that costs a mere pittance in order to make herself feel pretty and presentable. I question the rationale and integrity of this position. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I

III Angeli Nuntius

Here is the standard of God:

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service. Romans 12:1

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans 12:2

...notice that again, please...

"...your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God..."

Ask yourself, ""How was the sacrifice to be", blemished, damaged, cut, pierced, lame?"

It is to be "without blemish".

[For those which have come to Christ Jesus after having done many things to the body, mind, etc, those have been covered by the blood of Christ Jesus, and you are a New Creature in Christ Jesus, and the Father sees the Son and His perfect righteousness, and our loving obedience to His commandments should be evident in salvation [thus imputed and imparted righteousness], but some consequences may still remain, eh? Sin is terrible, and what horror would be upon us, if we truly saw it in the light as it is, just look to calvary, look high, and see the Son of Man lifted up. Some today, by the loving grace of God, be loving Christians today, but they still live with disfigured bodies and lives from things chosen before Christ. Some families are still broken, and some things may be forgiven, but are not undone. However, for those which think to continue to pierce themselves, paint and mar themselves, do with their bodies as they please to themselves and or with others, will reap what they sew, for God is not mocked, and it is presumptuously spitting in the grace of God. What they call love of God, is empty sentimentalism, devoid, a husk and shell of a word without substance.]

Think it is only a small and tiny insignificant hole in ear, and it is only a small piece of jewelry, oh, what does it matter? It is selfish. It would disqualify the one [lamb] from being the sacrifice, and acceptable unto God. It will disqualify anyone from heaven, if not repented of. Just one small tiny piece of fruit, forbidden of God, and yet so large a mess, so terrible the results, so horrific the consequences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Here is the standard of God:

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service. Romans 12:1

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans 12:2

...notice that again, please...

"...your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God..."

Ask yourself, ""How was the sacrifice to be", blemished, damaged, cut, pierced, lame?"

It is to be "without blemish".

[For those which have come to Christ Jesus after having done many things to the body, mind, etc, those have been covered by the blood of Christ Jesus, and you are a New Creature in Christ Jesus, and the Father sees the Son and His perfect righteousness, and our loving obedience to His commandments should be evident in salvation [thus imputed and imparted righteousness], but some consequences may still remain, eh? Sin is terrible, and what horror would be upon us, if we truly saw it in the light as it is, just look to calvary, look high, and see the Son of Man lifted up. Some today, by the loving grace of God, be loving Christians today, but they still live with disfigured bodies and lives from things chosen before Christ. Some families are still broken, and some things may be forgiven, but are not undone. However, for those which think to continue to pierce themselves, paint and mar themselves, do with their bodies as they please to themselves and or with others, will reap what they sew, for God is not mocked, and it is presumptuously spitting in the grace of God. What they call love of God, is empty sentimentalism, devoid, a husk and shell of a word without substance.]

Think it is only a small and tiny insignificant hole in ear, and it is only a small piece of jewelry, oh, what does it matter? It is selfish. It would disqualify the one [lamb] from being the sacrifice, and acceptable unto God. It will disqualify anyone from heaven, if not repented of. Just one small tiny piece of fruit, forbidden of God, and yet so large a mess, so terrible the results, so horrific the consequences.

Do you find these verses appalling?

Proverbs 25:12 As an earring of gold, and an ornament of fine gold, so is a wise reprover to an obedient ear.

Ezekiel 16:11-13 I adorned you with ornaments, put bracelets on your wrists, and a chain on your neck. And I put a jewel in your nose, earrings in your ears, and a beautiful crown on your head. Thus you were adorned with gold and silver, and your clothing was of fine linen, silk, and embroidered cloth. You ate pastry of fine flour, honey, and oil. You were exceedingly beautiful, and succeeded to royalty.

Genesis 24:46-48 And she made haste and let her pitcher down from her shoulder, and said, ‘Drink, and I will give your camels a drink also.’ So I drank, and she gave the camels a drink also. Then I asked her, and said, ‘Whose daughter are you?’ And she said, ‘The daughter of Bethuel, Nahor’s son, whom Milcah bore to him.’ So I put the nose ring on her nose and the bracelets on her wrists. And I bowed my head and worshiped the Lord, and blessed the Lord God of my master Abraham, who had led me in the way of truth to take the daughter of my master’s brother for his son.

Calling something sinful, when in fact it is not, will have the same effect on the believer as sin itself. Behold, the birth of religion.

Upvote 0
I

III Angeli Nuntius

Do you find these verses [Proverbs 25:12; Ezekiel 16:11-13; Genesis 24:46-48] appalling?...
No, just the misuse and abuse of them as such.

You have not addressed the previous texts already cited.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7727942-3/#post62579610
http://www.christianforums.com/t7727942-4/#post62600962

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God". 1 Corinthians 10:31

"Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;" 1 Peter 3:3

"If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are." 1 Corinthians 3:17

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service." Romans 12:1

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2

You have not addressed any of the messenger of the Lords direction.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7727942-4/#post62590932

Shall we think that scripture in one place is to contradict another, or to gainsay another? Surely not.

As already stated, it will not matter what the scriptures teach, neither what the messenger of the Lord has stated, to those who want to do what they want in spite of it all. They do the same for alcohol, for pot smoking, for illicit relations, for other practices, for their speech, for watching vilolent, filthy, etc- movies, shows, gambling. There is no more justification for the practice here, than in any of those.

Can you show me where Adam or Eve wore Jewelry? The first man and woman?

Can you show me of which of the two churches in Revelation 12 and 17/18 are wearing jewelry?

"And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:" Revelation 12:1

"And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication." Revelation 17:4

"And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls!" Revelation 18:16

Ezekiel may be seen in context, speaking about Israel/Jerusalem, a nation, and not a single individual and is also metaphorically given in symbols. See also:

"And [when] thou [art] spoiled, what wilt thou do? Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; [thy] lovers will despise thee, they will seek thy life." Jeremiah 4:30

etc.

Genesis 24, where is the commandment of God?, but instead we see the customs of the people, and yet it is recorded as it serves as type to a far greater anti-type - for Abraham [being God the Father], Isaac [the Son, Jesus], in which there was to be a wife unto Him [God's people], called out of Babylon [Ur of the Chaldees, Abraham's homeland]. Notice it is "a golden earring", a single one. This is the symbol of belonging.

And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten [shekels] weight of gold; Genesis 24:22

Gold is the symbol of pure, precious and rare character and faith, faithfulness, and value and money, see also Daniel 2: "head of Gold":

I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir. Isaiah 13:12

"...will try them as gold is tried..." Zechariah 13:9

"...he shall sit [as] a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold..." Maalachi 3:3

Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 1 Corinthians 3:12

"But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold..." 2 Timothy 2:20

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:" 1 Peter 1:7

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich..." Revelation 3:18

Half-shekel of weight is the redemption price, of which all pay.

"The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel, when [they] give an offering unto the LORD, to make an atonement for your souls." Exodus 30:15

Ten Gold weight bracelets upon the hands is the symbol/type of the Ten Commandments of God, being "ten", upon "two":

"And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the LORD spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them unto me.
" Deuteronomy 10:4

"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:40

As the Word of the Lord is even more value than Gold:

More to be desired [are they] than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Psalms 19:10

Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold. Psalms 119:127

etc.

For it is with these that God bedecks His people.

We see that God allowed, that is suffered, some to have multiple wives, but did God command it, or agree unto it? Just because an example may be found in the scripture of people doing things, does not mean God approves of the thing. Scripture records the events for our learning.

We, even as they of the past, are about to meet with God, even face to face and enter into the Heavenly Promised land, and look what God said to them, then:

"Unto a land flowing with milk and honey: for I will not go up in the midst of thee; for thou [art] a stiffnecked people: lest I consume thee in the way." Exodus 33:3

"For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye [are] a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee." Exodus 33:5

"And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb." Exodus 33:6

And Proverbs 25:12, says nothing about allowing the practice or wearing Jewlery or earrings in the ear and piercing the body, or that God approved any of it, but the author uses the practice rather in a use of comparison, iow, a closeness to the ear [a wise reprover should be as near our own ears, that we may be first to hear Him [the Holy Spirit] and obey]; for Solomon, which gathered much of the proverbs dealt with many, from many nations, which had many customs:

[As] an earring of gold, and an ornament of fine gold, [so is] a wise reprover upon an obedient ear.

The author of the Proverb is saying that "a wise reporiver" is that which should be upon "an obedient ear". That is the precious jewelry worn.

Again, here is the standard:

Abstain from all appearance of evil. 1 Thessalonians 5:22

I will recommend three small books for anyone's perusal:

Colorful Cosmetics and Jewelry | Amazing Facts

Culture And The Christian | Amazing Facts

Jewelry: How Much Is Too Much | Amazing Facts

Knowingly and purposefully designating something 'not sinful' when it plainly is so, is presumption, and to attempt to justify such a practice, any such practice, by scripture, foolishness.

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned." 2 Corinthians 2:14

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, just the misuse and abuse of them as such.

You have not addressed the previous texts already cited.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7727942-3/#post62579610
http://www.christianforums.com/t7727942-4/#post62600962

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God". 1 Corinthians 10:31

"Whose adorning let it not be that outward [adorning] of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel;" 1 Peter 3:3

"If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which [temple] ye are." 1 Corinthians 3:17

"I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, [which is] your reasonable service." Romans 12:1

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12:2

You have not addressed any of the messenger of the Lords direction.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7727942-4/#post62590932

Shall we think that scripture in one place is to contradict another, or to gainsay another? Surely not.

As already stated, it will not matter what the scriptures teach, neither what the messenger of the Lord has stated, to those who want to do what they want in spite of it all. They do the same for alcohol, for pot smoking, for illicit relations, for other practices, for their speech, for watching vilolent, filthy, etc- movies, shows, gambling. There is no more justification for the practice here, than in any of those.

Can you show me where Adam or Eve wore Jewelry? The first man and woman?

Can you show me of which of the two churches in Revelation 12 and 17/18 are wearing jewelry?

"And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, and the moon under her feet, and upon her head a crown of twelve stars:" Revelation 12:1

"And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication." Revelation 17:4

"And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls!" Revelation 18:16

Ezekiel may be seen in context, speaking about Israel/Jerusalem, a nation, and not a single individual and is also metaphorically given in symbols. See also:

"And [when] thou [art] spoiled, what wilt thou do? Though thou clothest thyself with crimson, though thou deckest thee with ornaments of gold, though thou rentest thy face with painting, in vain shalt thou make thyself fair; [thy] lovers will despise thee, they will seek thy life." Jeremiah 4:30

etc.

Genesis 24, where is the commandment of God?, but instead we see the customs of the people, and yet it is recorded as it serves as type to a far greater anti-type - for Abraham [being God the Father], Isaac [the Son, Jesus], in which there was to be a wife unto Him [God's people], called out of Babylon [Ur of the Chaldees, Abraham's homeland]. Notice it is "a golden earring", a single one. This is the symbol of belonging.

And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten [shekels] weight of gold; Genesis 24:22

Gold is the symbol of pure, precious and rare character and faith, faithfulness, and value and money, see also Daniel 2: "head of Gold":

I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden wedge of Ophir. Isaiah 13:12

"...will try them as gold is tried..." Zechariah 13:9

"...he shall sit [as] a refiner and purifier of silver: and he shall purify the sons of Levi, and purge them as gold..." Maalachi 3:3

Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 1 Corinthians 3:12

"But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold..." 2 Timothy 2:20

"That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:" 1 Peter 1:7

"I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich..." Revelation 3:18

Half-shekel of weight is the redemption price, of which all pay.

"The rich shall not give more, and the poor shall not give less than half a shekel, when [they] give an offering unto the LORD, to make an atonement for your souls." Exodus 30:15

Ten Gold weight bracelets upon the hands is the symbol/type of the Ten Commandments of God, being "ten", upon "two":

"And he wrote on the tables, according to the first writing, the ten commandments, which the LORD spake unto you in the mount out of the midst of the fire in the day of the assembly: and the LORD gave them unto me.
" Deuteronomy 10:4

"On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets." Matthew 22:40

As the Word of the Lord is even more value than Gold:

More to be desired [are they] than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Psalms 19:10

Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold. Psalms 119:127

etc.

For it is with these that God bedecks His people.

We see that God allowed, that is suffered, some to have multiple wives, but did God command it, or agree unto it? Just because an example may be found in the scripture of people doing things, does not mean God approves of the thing. Scripture records the events for our learning.

We, even as they of the past, are about to meet with God, even face to face and enter into the Heavenly Promised land, and look what God said to them, then:

"Unto a land flowing with milk and honey: for I will not go up in the midst of thee; for thou [art] a stiffnecked people: lest I consume thee in the way." Exodus 33:3

"For the LORD had said unto Moses, Say unto the children of Israel, Ye [are] a stiffnecked people: I will come up into the midst of thee in a moment, and consume thee: therefore now put off thy ornaments from thee, that I may know what to do unto thee." Exodus 33:5

"And the children of Israel stripped themselves of their ornaments by the mount Horeb." Exodus 33:6

And Proverbs 25:12, says nothing about allowing the practice or wearing Jewlery or earrings in the ear and piercing the body, or that God approved any of it, but the author uses the practice rather in a use of comparison, iow, a closeness to the ear [a wise reprover should be as near our own ears, that we may be first to hear Him [the Holy Spirit] and obey]; for Solomon, which gathered much of the proverbs dealt with many, from many nations, which had many customs:

[As] an earring of gold, and an ornament of fine gold, [so is] a wise reprover upon an obedient ear.

The author of the Proverb is saying that "a wise reporiver" is that which should be upon "an obedient ear". That is the precious jewelry worn.

Again, here is the standard:

Abstain from all appearance of evil. 1 Thessalonians 5:22

I will recommend three small books for anyone's perusal:

Colorful Cosmetics and Jewelry | Amazing Facts

Culture And The Christian | Amazing Facts

Jewelry: How Much Is Too Much | Amazing Facts

Knowingly and purposefully designating something 'not sinful' when it plainly is so, is presumption, and to attempt to justify such a practice, any such practice, by scripture, foolishness.

"But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know [them], because they are spiritually discerned." 2 Corinthians 2:14

"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God". 1 Corinthians 10:31.

The key question is, does the Bible say it's sinful?

Some people are taught that eating meat is a sin so they glorify God by not eating meat, but just because someone says it's sinful doesn't make it sinful. Some people are taught that wearing jewelry is sinful so they don't wear jewelry to glorify God, but just because someone says it's sinful doesn't make it sinful.

The same goes for fermented wine...:doh:

Upvote 0