Country
Lithuania
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Since childhood i think it really stuck in my mind that my mother and grandmother used to say often we don't have money we can't afford this, or you can't have this because there is no money. My grandmother is really person that likes to save money and i learned this from her i think. Now i am grown man and i often feel i don't want to spend even 1 dollar unless i buy something i want like material object that i want, if no i feel i don't want waste money on food. If someone else pays for it i am fine, but if i need to pay for it i feel i don't want to spend even 1 dollar. I am a very big saver i always have more money than i need. I do spend it but like i said only for material things because they last and not temporary. I also don't like borowing money because i know its difficult to return the money and my self i never borrow from someone else because i know its not easy.. What are your thoughts? I always have this fear i need to have more than just have zero in my account. i know its not normal my mania for saving money. I feel that i am a gredy person.

Jun 16, 2020
London
✟107,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Since childhood i think it really stuck in my mind that my mother and grandmother used to say often we don't have money we can't afford this, or you can't have this because there is no money. My grandmother is really person that likes to save money and i learned this from her i think. Now i am grown man and i often feel i don't want to spend even 1 dollar unless i buy something i want like material object that i want, if no i feel i don't want waste money on food. If someone else pays for it i am fine, but if i need to pay for it i feel i don't want to spend even 1 dollar. I am a very big saver i always have more money than i need. I do spend it but like i said only for material things because they last and not temporary. I also don't like borowing money because i know its difficult to return the money and my self i never borrow from someone else because i know its not easy.. What are your thoughts? I always have this fear i need to have more than just have zero in my account. i know its not normal my mania for saving money. I feel that i am a gredy person.

a sense of lack whereby all things become of gain ...

Upvote 0

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It seems that you have a sense of lack that tries to control your life. In some way, this is making you be too cheap. I can say that because I have similar feelings about money myself. To counter this you need to focus more on God wanting to bless you and part of that blessing is for you to have some material things. It helps me too to give more into the kingdom not to get back but to just be a blessing. I pray you can overcome this fear of lack and see your money and material items more like God sees them. That you would understand his blessings and not worry so much about tomorrow. In Jesus name.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟693,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Financial advisors always say you should have saved back enough funds to support yourself completely for 6 months to 1 year as a protection against job loss or illness or injury. So if your monthly expenditures are 3,000 dollars, you should have 18,000 saved back just in case.

It's not a bad policy, as I myself found out after being injured and many found out during this COVID crisis. There really are times having money saved to fall back on is a positive thing. You don't have to have a zero balance in your bank account to be trusting in God.

But if your giving 10% of your income to charity and 10% of your income in savings you shouldn't have fear in spending what you need to spend to live.

It's just a matter of not taking anything too far, either way...

If you feel like your taking the saving too far, or have too much fear in spending on your needs, then pray and ask God to help you trust in Him more, and your own savings account less.

Upvote 0

Nigel Malka

Feb 28, 2020
Coventry
Visit site
✟17,947.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
For me you have to work on what is important in your life, and it seems to me you are doing that anyway. How important is money? put up up against how important relationships are, what makes you happy, what brings you peace of mind what brings you closer to God and his ways.

Money is a tool to enable us to live in a commercial world to work to gain 'X' so we can spend it on 'Y' relationship are far more important, so hug the ones you love and enjoy the life God has given you.

• Winner
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

IntriKate

Nov 23, 2019
✟105,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was raised in poverty as well and now I budget strictly and am a minimalist I dont like to buy useless items and I feel guilty when I do. Its normal when you have known what its like to have nothing to be aware that its a reality and to try to avoid going back to that as an adult. Its just being careful nothing wrong with it.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
you've gotten some very good advice here!

I agree, money is a tool to be used wisely, and not something to be hoarded.
The difference is whether you control the money that you have and use it wisely,
or whether the money controls you.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Being a fellow hoarder myself...I too just don't like going out to eat. Especially when I know that I can make better at home for cheaper.
And the hoarding of money and not using it for personal possessions unless you need them isn't a bad thing...not in the least.
It's called being prudent.

But the big elephant in the room is if you are a "giver" or have a "giving" personality. Would anyone ever accuse you of being a generous person?
That's where it becomes important.

Everyone seems to have their hand out today asking for money...for the wealthy and large corporations it's another tax they must pay or be demonized in the press. (Ask Bill Gates about that)
But for individuals it's not so apparent. It's between you and God. No one respects a "soft touch" for charitable contributions...but there are a few sneaky givers who hide in and amongst the rest of humanity.

Reactions: IntriKate
Upvote 0

ovis90

Jun 7, 2015
Vilnius
✟20,552.00
Country
Lithuania
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Financial advisors always say you should have saved back enough funds to support yourself completely for 6 months to 1 year as a protection against job loss or illness or injury. So if your monthly expenditures are 3,000 dollars, you should have 18,000 saved back just in case.

It's not a bad policy, as I myself found out after being injured and many found out during this COVID crisis. There really are times having money saved to fall back on is a positive thing. You don't have to have a zero balance in your bank account to be trusting in God.

But if your giving 10% of your income to charity and 10% of your income in savings you shouldn't have fear in spending what you need to spend to live.

It's just a matter of not taking anything too far, either way...

If you feel like your taking the saving too far, or have too much fear in spending on your needs, then pray and ask God to help you trust in Him more, and your own savings account less.

Maybe i would be such saver, but in my country i work office job and here salaries are very low food prices equal to Western countries, but salary as near as 550euros..

Upvote 0

ovis90

Jun 7, 2015
Vilnius
✟20,552.00
Country
Lithuania
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
For me you have to work on what is important in your life, and it seems to me you are doing that anyway. How important is money? put up up against how important relationships are, what makes you happy, what brings you peace of mind what brings you closer to God and his ways.

Money is a tool to enable us to live in a commercial world to work to gain 'X' so we can spend it on 'Y' relationship are far more important, so hug the ones you love and enjoy the life God has given you.

I am not that person that would say i will work 12 hours just to get money no, money is not the most important, but the fear of wasting money.. and not holding them in my account makes me feel gredy and selfish

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

splish- splash

Team- Early Interventions
Dec 2, 2019
✟225,571.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's no harm in saving money. However there are times when, God requires us to let some of our finances go for His own Glory. Plus i do find that when i cling onto my finances, when the Lord has instructed me to release them, everything becomes very tight financially but when i let the Lord lead, things seem to flow smoothly.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not that person that would say i will work 12 hours just to get money no, money is not the most important, but the fear of wasting money.. and not holding them in my account makes me feel gredy and selfish

You have not mentioned giving to those in need, to charities etc.
Where does that come in your view of life.
Have you never read Matthew Ch 25 verses 35-40.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟693,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe i would be such saver, but in my country i work office job and here salaries are very low food prices equal to Western countries, but salary as near as 550euros..

Well I can see if your salary is 550 why you'd feel money being tight for you, because it looks as it is.

We all do the best with what we have... :) Its to you to do your best with it, and not live outside your means.

So no, it doesn't sound like your greedy, it sounds like your just doing your best.

• Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
If you feel convicted of greed, then I don't really see an option out of it other than repentance. Ask God to not let the desire for money fill your heart.

Philippians 3:17-19 Brothers, join in imitating me, and keep your eyes on those who walk according to the example you have in us. 18 For many, of whom I have often told you and now tell you even with tears, walk as enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 Their end is destruction, their god is their belly, and they glory in their shame, with minds set on earthly things.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,640.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There really are times having money saved to fall back on is a positive thing.

Yes that's right. A biblical example would be Joseph in Egypt who stored the harvest of the seven good years to be prepared for the seven bad years.

One of the big reasons I think Western Economies are floundering is that people fritter away their money on unnecessary junk, then when the hard time comes they either look to the state or to others to support them because they have no storehouse. God Bless :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ovis90

Jun 7, 2015
Vilnius
✟20,552.00
Country
Lithuania
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You have not mentioned giving to those in need, to charities etc.
Where does that come in your view of life.
Have you never read Matthew Ch 25 verses 35-40.

Just to mention in my country salaries are not the same as in USA here although i do office job but i earn only 550 euros and the food prices and services equal to same in Western Europe or USA.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Just to mention in my country salaries are not the same as in USA here although i do office job but i earn only 550 euros and the food prices and services equal to same in Western Europe or USA.

If you have food in the larder/freezer and money in the bank, you can still give to those less fortunate than yourself.

Upvote 0