Blessed
Jul 6, 2005
✟3,799.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://www.joshharris.com/ikdg/reviews.htm

This is a book Pastor John Harris wrote..

Read the reveiw it has soem interesting veiws there

Like this...
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Dating now is a lot like going shopping when you don't have any money," Harris tells his audience. "Even if you find the right thing, you can't do anything about it."[/FONT]

"The right thing at the wrong time is still the wrong thing," Harris says

"Singleness is a gift," Harris says. "Let's rejoice in it and enjoy its opportunities today

Pyrogenesis

Weapons Grade
Feb 7, 2005
Snells Beach
✟1,484.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yea, I've read that. It's an interesting book, worth reading even if you don't agree with it.

There's only one thing I can recommend for those looking for a husband/wife: Matthew 6:33 - "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." I know how much it sucks sometimes being single, and I've prayed A LOT about it. But I trust God so I'm going to seek Him, because I know that what He has for me is better than what I could get for myself.

Upvote 0

sherri

Mar 20, 2004
✟10,937.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I absolutly love that book. It's the best I've ever seen on the subject and one I really wish had been around when I was a teenager. Although I don't think that review really explains the book in the best possible light. Josh Harris has more written a book about how not to date, and a more God centred way of doing relationships. He doesn't mean not date - rather not date for the sake of company or shallow, self centered relationships that arn't going anywhere.He's also big on keeping the pysical for marriage. In otherwords not date along the lines that we're encouraged to by the norms of western society with their results.

It's pretty hardcore on morality though and I think a lot of people don't necessarily feel comfortable with that and want a more 'relaxed' approach, lol. But I agree with almost 100% of what he says. He's very moral, very genuine and really maintains christian standards on the whole subject. I don't find him legalistic at all. Just tough on things that the church often glosses over or doesn't get around to addressing.

I picked it up thinking yeah, yeah, I already know all this, yada, yada but it really impressed me. It's a great book. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Upvote 0

renaistre

The mountains are calling...
Jan 15, 2004
Santa Clarita, CA
Visit site
✟2,067.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Heinrich said:
I've seen the book but never read it...
Guess since I've never been on a real "date" in my life it's rather pointless anyhow :D

I found it to be useful even though I've never been on a date either. I actually think he might have made a mistake in choosing that title, even though it's clever, because it tends to obscure the real message of the book. It's not so much about not dating as it is putting God first in relationships, and considering what that might mean practically.

Upvote 0

fieldmouse3

Contributor
Feb 14, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
✟8,313.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've read both his books on the topic of courtship. I liked his writing style, and he made some good points, but I don't necessarily think that the type of relationships he portrays are the only right way to go. He even states that himself at some point in the books.

Upvote 0

Lia

Be Thou My Vision
Jan 12, 2004
Greeley, CO
✟16,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
twistedsketch said:
I find some of his teachings legalistic.

Hmm care to explain?...

I 'know' him personally since I am a member of the church he pastors in and I don't think his teachings are legalistic. He is a passionate man of God and very humble. Some people may not agree with the things that he says but I do know that he loves the Lord and is not afraid to say the things he believes to challange people only to point them to love the Lord more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renaistre

The mountains are calling...
Jan 15, 2004
Santa Clarita, CA
Visit site
✟2,067.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
twistedsketch said:
His followers are under the impression that dating is borderline sinful.

The problem with Josh Harris is that a lot of his "followers" take things way farther than he ever does. Much of it has to do with the fact that Josh Harris was not the one who "invented" modern courtship. It owes it's beginnings mainly to Bill Gothard and Jonathon Lindvall, who are much more "extreme." I have some serious issues with a lot of what they teach. So even though many people use the book, and it's clever name, as a way to describe their views, it's often not an accurate claim.

In fact, I believe in the introduction to the book Josh Harris specifically says that he doesn't believe dating is sinful.

Upvote 0

Eagle_Wings

Just Your Ordinary Average Everyday Sane Psycho.
Nov 18, 2004
Illinois
Visit site
✟2,076.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I had picked up the book a long time ago but could never sit down and get very far in it since I didn't really have anything to apply it to. 2 years ago I found myself in a situation that the book actually came in very helpful and explained alot of the things I was going through. While I don't agree with all his views or stands I still think the book was very good and definitely recommend it.

For any single females I'd also recommend "Lady in Waiting," I just started it and it is very good (so far).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
I agree with most of it, however I don't regret my dating experiences; I learned a lot about women and myself, and gained confidence from it. However since I am now a hardcore Christian, and living a life according to the Bible, I have discarded all of my old secular beliefs about dating,relationships, and casual sex...

Upvote 0

Lia

Be Thou My Vision
Jan 12, 2004
Greeley, CO
✟16,206.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
twistedsketch said:
His followers are under the impression that dating is borderline sinful.

I don't think he has ever said that dating is a sin... but it's more like when you date, date with a purpose - that you are dating with marriage in mind...not just tasting the water without a commitment, just see where things go (which commonly happen these days in the world) that would create a lot of confusions.

And I've seen the result at our church, the guys are more careful and protective to the girls and the girls respects the guys more and letting them lead.

I do understand though that this standard seems too strict to some people. To me, it's just one of the many ways on how to have a God-glorifying friendship/relationship with the opposite sex. It may and may not work for some people.

Upvote 0