May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

Woke activism has seeped into many facets of western society. Not spared unfortunately is gaming. For those not in the know there is a game that came out recently called Hogwarts Legacy. It is based on the Harry Potter franchise by JK Rowling and it is being attacked relentlessly online by people with a certain ideological mindset. What's so bad about the game? The answer is nothing. There is absolutely nothing bad about the game. However in the eyes of these activists the game is bad by association to the franchise owner JKR.

Not too long ago JKR made known her stance about biological women much to the disappointment of transactivists. From that point forward JKR has been vilified for not being lockstep in their "right way of thinking". For her part JKR has double downed further widening the schism. She is now considered a "hateful" person towards the trans community. As each day passes the characterization of JKR degrades more and more into villainy. Funny how a few online activists can represent an entire community's feelings.

Now comes the game in question. Since it makes use of the Harry Potter universe, JKR is bound to receive royalties from its sales. The activists has taken it as an endorsement of JKR views on women. They have relentlessly attack the game and all adjacent individuals. From the beginning of its developments the game studio has been flooded by online harassments. One of its developer has to step away from the studio because the activists dug up some old videos of him having the "wrong ideology". One of the voice actors for the game has also come into the crosshair of the activists. It got so bad that the game studio has to come out with a statement saying that JKR has no involvement in the game. This changes nothing for the activists.

As the game comes closer into completion, the online gaming media jumped onto the hate bandwagon. They have made it clear that the game will not have a fair review nor will they disassociate the game from its "controversial" franchise owner. Due to this some gaming medias didn't get a review copy of the game before it launches.

The activists target has also widen to encompass ordinary gamers, twitch streamers and youtube reviewers. The activists came out with a site to list all streamers who will stream themselves playing the game. A hitlist of sorts. What they will do with that information only God knows, nothing good I assume based on their prior actions. To them you're not a "good" person if you like, buy or even have a slightest positive notion towards the game. You're guilty by association to JKR even if you are 2 levels of separation from the source of their hate. What "nice" (read demonic) people.

For people who championed "inclusivity and diversity" they seem to only want conformity and control. Hate is their motivator and de-personing their tool. The modus operandi is eerily similar to Gestapo minus the uniform and legal authority.

The game is actually doing very well for itself. Topping the Steam, Playstation & Xbox sellers. A great indictment of how wrong their ideology and actions are.

Last edited:

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single

And it didn't take long for the harassments to manifest down to the consumers. One streamer has been reduced to tears due to the "righteous" engagements of her "fans" (transactivists). I read somewhere that the streamer is in fact quite progressive in her ideology, apparently not progressive enough. The purity test looks more like a mob lynching. I have observed too much in the past decade the slow decay of woke activism into authoritarianism. If you want to have any semblance of a normal social life, you have to unquestioningly think, talk, consume and participate in a certain ideological lifestyle. At least in the west.

Else you can expect to be branded persona non grata. Like cancer they will seek to infect every aspect of your life. Your family, your employers, your friends down to even your bank. Either you or them will have no option but to sever your bonds to stop the mob. Alone and beaten down they will make you and in joyous victory shall they parade their wicked deeds as righteous.

And it is starting to creep into the east as well starting with Japan and Korea where woke activists have besiege them too. A topic that requires another thread. Maybe I'll gather the evidences and post them some time in the future.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The game is actually doing very well for itself. Topping the Steam, Playstation & Xbox sellers. A great indictment of how wrong their ideology and actions are.
Maybe it's a great indictment of your characterization of critics as being a powerful Nazi-like force.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Maybe it's a great indictment of your characterization of critics as being a powerful Nazi-like force.

"Critics" will be a great mischaracterization of people who conducted harassment operations on innocent people. Do you consider a person who targets the gaming studio, voice actors and consumers of the game - "critics"? Are "critics" under your definition allowed to do harm unto others?

Your "critics" may not be as powerful or competent as the actual Nazis but their tactics are quite reminisces of the Gestapo during their reign. Keeping a list of "dissenters" (read Hogwarts Legacy players), inserting themselves into space of "dissenters" to cause chaos and making broadcast demonizing "dissenters".

As a person who actually don't fancy JKR myself, I can't help but to come to her and those who supported the game's defense. Because what is wrong is clearly wrong even when done to the person whom I dislike. That is what the socially well adjusted will do.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Are "critics" under your definition allowed to do harm unto others?

Of course there are limits to what is free speech and what is illegal harassment (or violent harm).

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Woke activism has seeped into many facets of western society. Not spared unfortunately is gaming. For those not in the know there is a game that came out recently called Hogwarts Legacy. It is based on the Harry Potter franchise by JK Rowling and it is being attacked relentlessly online by people with a certain ideological mindset. What's so bad about the game? The answer is nothing. There is absolutely nothing bad about the game. However in the eyes of these activists the game is bad by association to the franchise owner JKR.

Not too long ago JKR made known her stance about biological women much to the disappointment of transactivists. From that point forward JKR has been vilified for not being lockstep in their "right way of thinking". For her part JKR has double downed further widening the schism. She is now considered a "hateful" person towards the trans community. As each day passes the characterization of JKR degrades more and more into villainy. Funny how a few online activists can represent an entire community's feelings.

Now comes the game in question. Since it makes use of the Harry Potter universe, JKR is bound to receive royalties from its sales. The activists has taken it as an endorsement of JKR views on women. They have relentlessly attack the game and all adjacent individuals. From the beginning of its developments the game studio has been flooded by online harassments. One of its developer has to step away from the studio because the activists dug up some old videos of him having the "wrong ideology". One of the voice actors for the game has also come into the crosshair of the activists. It got so bad that the game studio has to come out with a statement saying that JKR has no involvement in the game. This changes nothing for the activists.

As the game comes closer into completion, the online gaming media jumped onto the hate bandwagon. They have made it clear that the game will not have a fair review nor will they disassociate the game from its "controversial" franchise owner. Due to this some gaming medias didn't get a review copy of the game before it launches.

The activists target has also widen to encompass ordinary gamers, twitch streamers and youtube reviewers. The activists came out with a site to list all streamers who will stream themselves playing the game. A hitlist of sorts. What they will do with that information only God knows, nothing good I assume based on their prior actions. To them you're not a "good" person if you like, buy or even have a slightest positive notion towards the game. You're guilty by association to JKR even if you are 2 levels of separation from the source of their hate. What "nice" (read demonic) people.

For people who championed "inclusivity and diversity" they seem to only want conformity and control. Hate is their motivator and de-personing their tool. The modus operandi is eerily similar to Gestapo minus the uniform and legal authority.

Hey, it's Clownfishtv. I watch them occasionally.

Unless the game itself contains anti-trans sentiment, I do not see why some people are acting so hostile. I have sympathy for trans people myself, but this kind of overreaction just strikes me as very unnatural. Wouldn't surprise me if these people are more motivated by crude tribalistic politics than any real sympathy for trans-people's feelings. Once trans-issues are not the forefront of the culture wars it wouldn't surprise me if all this "sympathy" suddenly vanished.

Tempted to try the game out myself, although I know very little about the series. Growing up in a Christian household where "witchcraft" wasn't tolerated I don't have any nostalgic feelings for the property. Years later in my early 20s a friend tried to get me into it by watching the first movie, but I just didn't like it. Perhaps I might have if I read the books when I was a kid, but I think that ship has sailed, lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Hey, it's Clownfishtv. I watch them occasionally.

Unless the game itself contains anti-trans sentiment, I do not see why some people are acting so hostile. I have sympathy for trans people myself, but this kind of overreaction just strikes me as very unnatural. Wouldn't surprise me if these people are more motivated by crude tribalistic politics than any real sympathy for trans-people's feelings. Once trans-issues are not the forefront of the culture wars it wouldn't surprise me if all this "sympathy" suddenly vanished.

Tempted to try the game out myself, although I know very little about the series. Growing up in a Christian household where "witchcraft" wasn't tolerated I don't have any nostalgic feelings for the property. Years later in my early 20s a friend tried to get me into it by watching the first movie, but I just didn't like it. Perhaps I might have if I read the books when I was a kid, but I think that ship has sailed, lol.

Yes it's ClownfishTV I watch them whenever they pops up on my recommendation list. I like the banter and rant between Kneon and Geeky Sparkles. They mix both personal opinions and actual facts quite well without coming out as overtly bias. I click for the issue but stayed for their interactions.

From what I watched of the gameplay there is not any social grandstanding on any issue in Hogwarts Legacy. It's your run of the mill western RPG set in JKR universe. In fact there is even a trans NPC in the game. If it was not for the association with JKR the game would be lavishly praised for its progressive themes.

I'm also in the opinion that the reactions to the game is outright ideologically driven. Never have I seen a witch hunt (pun intended) this active since ye olde days. Some goes as far as equating supporting the game to supporting the genocide of transpeople. Absurd I know but unfortunately too true. Too many innocent people would find out the hard way the atrocities of the activists.

You should try the game if you want to. I don't believe in the notion that a Christian can't associate with anything witchcraft. Not saying that a fictional story wizards is witchcraft by any standard. We Christians should be more open in understanding "taboo" subjects. I find it illogical that we limit ourselves from blasphemous subjects out of fear that it will affect our faith in God somehow. Understanding and practising are wholly separate two matters.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Anyone else seeing the ironic side of a game about sorcery and witchcraft being defended on christian forum on the basis of it "owning the libs"?

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes it's ClownfishTV I watch them whenever they pops up on my recommendation list. I like the banter and rant between Kneon and Geeky Sparkles. They mix both personal opinions and actual facts quite well without coming out as overtly bias. I click for the issue but stayed for their interactions.

From what I watched of the gameplay there is not any social grandstanding on any issue in Hogwarts Legacy. It's your run of the mill western RPG set in JKR universe. In fact there is even a trans NPC in the game. If it was not for the association with JKR the game would be lavishly praised for its progressive themes.

I'm also in the opinion that the reactions to the game is outright ideologically driven. Never have I seen a witch hunt (pun intended) this active since ye olde days. Some goes as far as equating supporting the game to supporting the genocide of transpeople. Absurd I know but unfortunately too true. Too many innocent people would find out the hard way the atrocities of the activists.

You should try the game if you want to. I don't believe in the notion that a Christian can't associate with anything witchcraft. Not saying that a fictional story wizards is witchcraft by any standard. We Christians should be more open in understanding "taboo" subjects. I find it illogical that we limit ourselves from blasphemous subjects out of fear that it will affect our faith in God somehow. Understanding and practising are wholly separate two matters.
I'm not a Christian anymore, so I don't worry about witchcraft content in my media. Although I'm not really the biggest fan of witchcraft themes regardless.

My father didn't only think witchcraft was evil, he just thought it was stupid too. My friends as a kid would have mocked me for being into Harry Potter and it had nothing to do with it being "evil". They just viewed that kind of stuff as dainty.

I remember getting crap from them for even liking the Matrix as a kid, lol.

I don't know how overblown this is. I just know of some people who have gone off the deep end regarding defending trans people. I think some of it is class warfare. Personally I have a hard time believing most liberals are genuine.

They don't really strike me as caring people. I'm not a conservative or really a fan of their stances, but hate or not they strike me overall at least as more genuine with their opinions.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, I don't think actual trans people should put very much faith into the left. Once trans issues fade from the public eye, I think a lot of their "allies" will get lazy and start misgendering them.

• Friendly
Reactions: IceJad
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Anyone else seeing the ironic side of a game about sorcery and witchcraft being defended on christian forum on the basis of it "owning the libs"?

You must be as illogical as the activist if you believe that Harry Potter is anything near real life paganism. It is like a Christian believing that Lord of the Rings is part of Christianity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You must be as illogical as the activist if you believe that Harry Potter is anything near real life paganism. It is like a Christian believing that Lord of the Rings is part of Christianity.
I guess you missed all that rage against harry potter that swept across the world (mostly the USA) when the books and films were still fresh.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, there was definitely some backlash towards the Harry Potter phenomenon back in the day..

This clip always gets a good laugh out of me. From the documentary Jesus Camp.

Although I'll say that my personal Christian upbringing, other than my family I didn't really meet other Christians who had any problems with Harry Potter. I remember once having to decline watching one of the movies with my friend and his father who was the pastor of our church.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Yeah, there was definitely some backlash towards the Harry Potter phenomenon back in the day..

This clip always gets a good laugh out of me. From the documentary Jesus Camp.

Although I'll say that my personal Christian upbringing, other than my family I didn't really meet other Christians who had any problems with Harry Potter. I remember once having to decline watching one of the movies with my friend and his father who was the pastor of our church.
I'm sure anyone so inclined can dig up dozens of threads on this forum in the vein of "is it a sin to read/watch harry potter", with many christians answering in the affirmative.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I guess you missed all that rage against harry potter that swept across the world (mostly the USA) when the books and films were still fresh.
Maybe in the west but we in the rest of the world don't view it as such. I didn't miss anything. I know there are case of it in the west. And they are as illogical as the now woke activists attacking the gamers for Hogwarts Legacy.

Wrong is wrong whether it is done by the woke or the religious.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟100,795.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
My friends as a kid would have mocked me for being into Harry Potter and it had nothing to do with it being "evil". They just viewed that kind of stuff as dainty.

I remember getting crap from them for even liking the Matrix as a kid, lol.

I'm sorry but I'm in the same opinion as your friends about Harry Potter and the Matrix as well. :grin: ROLF

I was also quite the mean kid back in the day

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry but I'm in the same opinion as your friends about Harry Potter and the Matrix as well. :grin: ROLF

I was also quite the mean kid back in the day

You don't like the Matrix? I don't like it as much as I did when I was younger, but I still like the themes. It's a movie that pumps many people up. Also has a pretty big Christian following. One of those films that's kind of open ended and people from all walks of life can take what they want from it.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You don't like the Matrix? I don't like it as much as I did when I was younger, but I still like the themes. It's a movie that pumps many people up. Also has a pretty big Christian following. One of those films that's kind of open ended and people from all walks of life can take what they want from it.
Which were the interests that weren't punished by your peer group?

• Friendly
Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Which were the interests that weren't punished by your peer group?

I don't know.

Even things like pizza chains (f they gave you too much pizza for a low price) was banned in the household. Or satellite TV, because my father said it was decadent that you could get so many channels for such a low price, lol. He also said that the cartoon Mighty Mouse was one of the evilest things he's ever seen. Sometimes I couldn't really pick up the logic why it was bad.

While it wasn't fun growing up in a religious household at times, my father wanted me to hang out with secular people like atheists and people from other religions. He didn't see any biblical justification from sheltering his children from the world, on the contrary he almost viewed sheltering as a sin and one that would make weak Christians when they moved out of the house. I was also allowed TV and internet in my room, so there was little barriers from me being able to consume the content I wanted. Although guilt did keep me from a lot of it for a time. At least I didn't grow up in a household like the homeschooled Christian kids I knew. Compared to them, I had it pretty easy.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,822.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I don't know.

Even things like pizza chains (f they gave you too much pizza for a low price) was banned in the household. Or satellite TV, because my father said it was decadent that you could get so many channels for such a low price, lol. He also said that the cartoon Mighty Mouse was one of the evilest things he's ever seen. Sometimes I couldn't really pick up the logic why it was bad.

While it wasn't fun growing up in a religious household at times, my father wanted me to hang out with secular people like atheists and people from other religions. He didn't see any biblical justification from sheltering his children from the world, on the contrary he almost viewed sheltering as a sin and one that would make weak Christians when they moved out of the house. I was also allowed TV and internet in my room, so there was little barriers from me being able to consume the content I wanted. Although guilt did keep me from a lot of it for a time. At least I didn't grow up in a household like the homeschooled Christian kids I knew. Compared to them, I had it pretty easy.
"Peer group" would be people your own age. So, your friends et al.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Peer group" would be people your own age. So, your friends et al.

Hmmm, well the friends I gravitated towards were pretty secular. So, there wasn't that much shaming going on. I guess the most I'd say is that some of them kind of had toxic masculine attitudes. If something was perceived as feminine it was mocked. Personally, I wasn't one to really care about if something was "feminine" or not.

Upvote 0