Oct 17, 2016
Lismore, Australia
✟94,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At least it seems like a dilemma to me.

Since I started working as an EMT last year, I have found it hard to read my bible. Especially on the days that I work because of my long hours. I can work as much as 17 - 18 hours a day. I come home and all I want to do is sleep because I have to be back in work in about 6 hours or less most days. That alone doesn't give me time to read my bible as I need to sleep to be as well rested as I can be for safety at my job.

This has bled into every day that I don't work not reading my bible. Either I am catching up on sleep that I have missed or I am busy doing stuff that I couldn't do during the week while working, such as taking my kids out to do something fun since I only get them three days a week, grocery shopping, etc... I may read a verse here and there.

I am Lutheran, so I am reading from the Lutheran Study Bible, which if you are aware isn't a light book. I enjoy this bible because of the law and gospel application notes it provides as well as the short prayer after said law and gospel notes. There is an electronic version of it, but after trying it out I found out that I didn't much like it as it's not laid out well or easy to get to those notes on a mobile device. Which leads me to my other issue, I have a dislike of electronic bibles.

I just cannot stick with them to read them and much prefer paper bibles. However, I cannot bring my bible to work as it just isn't a practical sized bible. I don't relish the idea of bringing any kind of bible into the ambulance because unless it's stowed away somewhere it can get damaged relatively quickly and there is no room to stow it in what we call a vambulance. I do not drive a box truck that has compartments, but rather a van ambulance.

With an electronic version I also do not get the law and gospel application notes that are in my bible of choice. I am also a systematic person. If I'm reading from one bible that has the stuff that I am looking for, I want to only read from that bible. It doesn't make any sense for me to read from another bible. Why would I want to do that since it doesn't have the tools that I want in it?

I am probably being stupid, but this is my dilemma. I am not sure what I can do to remedy the situation.

What can I do?

A thirst for God is what we have. The bible can aid in our thirst for God, but if the reading is fueled by guilt, or if the practice produces guilt in our lives, we chuck it out! Our hunger is always for God and the bible is one tool to help us grow in Him. A good practise is active walking with Him, talking with Him at work, praying for our workmates and clients. Mediating on Him while working, while driving to work. Cover to cover study for me has created a burden rather than blessing. Better, from my experience, is to read books that interest me. I must have read Romans, Galatians, 123 John, Colossians etc more than 50 times...

the truth will set you free John 8:32
For my yoke is easy and my burden is light Matthew 11:30
there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus Romans 8:1

Hope you figure something out you are at peace with -- guilt is a terrible motivator.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Since I started working as an EMT last year, I have found it hard to read my bible. Especially on the days that I work because of my long hours. I can work as much as 17 - 18 hours a day. I come home and all I want to do is sleep because I have to be back in work in about 6 hours or less most days. That alone doesn't give me time to read my bible as I need to sleep to be as well rested as I can be for safety at my job.

This has bled into every day that I don't work not reading my bible. Either I am catching up on sleep that I have missed or I am busy doing stuff that I couldn't do during the week while working, such as taking my kids out to do something fun since I only get them three days a week, grocery shopping, etc... I may read a verse here and there.

I am Lutheran, so I am reading from the Lutheran Study Bible, which if you are aware isn't a light book. I enjoy this bible because of the law and gospel application notes it provides as well as the short prayer after said law and gospel notes. There is an electronic version of it, but after trying it out I found out that I didn't much like it as it's not laid out well or easy to get to those notes on a mobile device. Which leads me to my other issue, I have a dislike of electronic bibles.

I just cannot stick with them to read them and much prefer paper bibles. However, I cannot bring my bible to work as it just isn't a practical sized bible. I don't relish the idea of bringing any kind of bible into the ambulance because unless it's stowed away somewhere it can get damaged relatively quickly and there is no room to stow it in what we call a vambulance. I do not drive a box truck that has compartments, but rather a van ambulance.

With an electronic version I also do not get the law and gospel application notes that are in my bible of choice. I am also a systematic person. If I'm reading from one bible that has the stuff that I am looking for, I want to only read from that bible. It doesn't make any sense for me to read from another bible. Why would I want to do that since it doesn't have the tools that I want in it?

I am probably being stupid, but this is my dilemma. I am not sure what I can do to remedy the situation.

What can I do?
Can you work less hours, or do a different job.
Habakkuk chapter 2 verse 13
Has not the LORD Almighty determined that the people's labor is only fuel for the fire, that the nations exhaust themselves for nothing?
Jeremiah chapter 51 verse 58
This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Babylon's thick wall will be leveled and her high gates set on fire; the peoples exhaust themselves for nothing, the nations' labor is only fuel for the flames."

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Can you work less hours, or do a different job.
Habakkuk chapter 2 verse 13
Has not the LORD Almighty determined that the people's labor is only fuel for the fire, that the nations exhaust themselves for nothing?
Jeremiah chapter 51 verse 58
This is what the LORD Almighty says: "Babylon's thick wall will be leveled and her high gates set on fire; the peoples exhaust themselves for nothing, the nations' labor is only fuel for the flames."

There are no less hours on the truck. We have set 13 hour shifts, but they generally go over those 13 hours because the company has more calls than ambulances. That is not going to change and is the nature of private EMS life.

I'm an EMT and very good at what I do. Are there other jobs? Yes, but that would require me to go into a hospital setting and that is not where I want to be. I like being out on the road with no one looking over my shoulder. It's just my partner and I.

I like seeing different scenery each day that In work rather than the same walls

Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟822,059.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

What can I do?
You have the best tool with you at all times. The Holy Spirit.

Maybe spending time praying with the Spirit, while at work, can help you by taking all of those verses which you have stored in your subconscious mind and adding life to them and revealing how they apply in your daily life.

Isn't it great to have such a wonderful Father whose Spirit makes us holy temples.

May he bless you eternally.

Reactions: DavidFirth
Upvote 0

LoricaLady

YHWH's
Site Supporter
Jul 27, 2009
Ohio
✟1,088,079.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private

What can I do?

It certainly is important to stay in the Word and it is great that you want to be devoted to that practice. But I am wondering if there is another, maybe even more pressing concern for you right now. You sound like your life style is so stressful! I wonder if you are getting enough rest. If we push ourselves too hard, that can wreak havoc on our bodies and emotions of course.

Maybe for now just try talking to the Father more as you go through your day. Recall Bible verses at certain times with praise, like maybe when you lock your car, or when you are on the way to or from the restroom, well whatever check points you think might be good. The Bible tells us to always be praising and to have the Word in our mouths. Yes it does say to keep it before our eyes, but, again, you sound like you are so worn out. Frankly when I am feeling worn out I don't do so great on spiritual practices either.
Another thing you might like is singing along with Scriptures. The links I provide have a kind of old fashioned sound. I didn't use to like them too much for that reason, but after awhile I loved them! They grow on you. Just a thought. Here is an example of what you can find if you are interested.
Maranatha has some great Scripture based YT vids too.
I pray you will find a way to unwind and de-stress.

Upvote 0

birdetto

Mar 26, 2017
Darwin, Australia
✟10,607.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What can I do?

Tell God about it is the best thing and ask him for help. 1 Peter 5:7: "Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you."

I once was working two hard jobs and my body couldn't take the hours. I needed the income though and had a family. I told God about it and right away everything worked out better. I'm not exactly sure how really, but I could tell the difference, getting both hours, income, and rest time. Not sure how God might answer your prayer, but the Bible tells us to cast all our care upon him.

Upvote 0

Boidae

Senior Veteran
Aug 18, 2010
Central Florida
✟21,015.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
It certainly is important to stay in the Word and it is great that you want to be devoted to that practice. But I am wondering if there is another, maybe even more pressing concern for you right now. You sound like your life style is so stressful! I wonder if you are getting enough rest. If we push ourselves too hard, that can wreak havoc on our bodies and emotions of course.

Maybe for now just try talking to the Father more as you go through your day. Recall Bible verses at certain times with praise, like maybe when you lock your car, or when you are on the way to or from the restroom, well whatever check points you think might be good. The Bible tells us to always be praising and to have the Word in our mouths. Yes it does say to keep it before our eyes, but, again, you sound like you are so worn out. Frankly when I am feeling worn out I don't do so great on spiritual practices either.
Another thing you might like is singing along with Scriptures. The links I provide have a kind of old fashioned sound. I didn't use to like them too much for that reason, but after awhile I loved them! They grow on you. Just a thought. Here is an example of what you can find if you are interested.
Maranatha has some great Scripture based YT vids too.
I pray you will find a way to unwind and de-stress.

You're correct. I am extremely worn out. I do not get enough sleep at all, especially when working. I'm lucky if I can get over four hours of sleep at night.

Working for a private transport company is much different then working for the county or city in EMS. Working for the county or city means you have facilities to go back to on your downtime and use along with the amenities in those facilities. You have beds, showers, a kitchen to cook in, etc... When working for a private transport company your ambulance is your facility. For however long your shift is, your ambulance is your home during your downtime if you get much downtime. Many days we might get just enough downtime to grab something to eat and then we're picking someone else up.

Yesterday, they sent us back to base at the end of our shift which is at the 13 hour mark. We pull in the gas station to fill up the ambulance and we get a call. We have another run for you to do. We weren't done till almost 3 hours later.

Upvote 0

sunshine456

Dec 21, 2012
✟11,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What can I do?

They have small study bibles that easily fit into pockets....5-6 inch. I would suggest the KJV as it is more traditional. Do not be afraid to show your faith to others. Announcing your faith to others and belief in hopes that they will follow JESUS CHRIST is a part of our faith cycle called PREACHING.

Matthew 5:14-16King James Version (KJV)
14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.
16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

After all we set the gospel the double edge sword, the word of GOD so people can learn...if you are an example as a sheep of the fold; why would you want to hide that fact? "Wouldn't be in the best interest for others to learn by your examples...so that they might grow in knowledge and closer to GOD the heavenly father and his son JESUS CHRIST?"

Do not be afraid....set that light(you/bible)on the dash, on a seat(someone sits down..."here can you hold this while I drive?"), or in the back where the carrier box is so patients can see it.

LET THAT LIGHT SHINE!!

Freedom of religion is FREEDOM OF RELIGION...so we can preach to the lost, the blind and even correct those whom require admonishment.

The enemy the devil is roaring around us; seeking whom it can devour....be aware of the enemies deceptions and tactics, doubt in our faith is one of them!!!!!!!

Praise be to GOD the heavenly father and his son lord JESUS CHRIST forever>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BTW bible gateway is an excellent option and another source for all things scriptures. I highly recommend it.

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

What can I do?
Hi this is a great question and the depth of God and the richness of His love and power are truly revealed in His word as it is living and like our blood supplies the oxygen we need. So when you start to memorize key passages you will never exhaust the revelation and inspiration from them. When you are so busy you can meditate on passages you have committed to memory and God will speak truth to you through them. Here are a couple that have helped me out. Col 1
9 For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; 10 that you may walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him, being fruitful in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God; 11 strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power, for all patience and longsuffering with joy; 12 giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light. 13 He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14 in whom we have redemption through His blood,[fn] the forgiveness of sins.
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.

I see here things that set my life in order and give me a personal purpose and declare Gods whole purpose for creation. As a believer Paul has prayed we be filled with knowledge of Gods will full of wisdom and understanding. He links being fruitful in good works to growing knowledge of God. He acknowledges we have power in Christ to forebear. And reminds us we are delivered from darkness through Jesus blood and have redemption and the forgiveness of sins. Thinking about this brings joy to my heart and a spirit of thanksgiving. Then it directs the passage to Jesus being the creator and that he created all things that Jesus would have the preeminence. This again is where you meditate and think of your life is it giving Jesus preeminence? This is the knowledge of God that leads to discovering his will. This type of meditating on Gods word is the whole point of psalm 1
Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.
4 The ungodly are not so,
But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

In here the promise of being blessed is two fold it is not receiving 3 steps and instead meditating on Gods word day and night. This promise is then contrasted between the righteous and the ungodly and again the righteous are accepted. This is a good thing to do and you can pick many scriptures that over time become tools in your utility belt that you can take them out and use them for yourself and share them with others.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

thesunisout

growing in grace
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2011
He lifts me up
✟159,601.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What can I do?

I think you're trying to put a square peg in a round hole. You enjoy using the study bible the way that you like that but that isn't practical any longer. You need to find a new way of doing things instead of trying to fit the old way into your new situation. Whether that means getting a different bible, or photocopying a page at a time of your study bible and taking it with you, you need a better solution. You are not satisfied with not reading it which is good, that shows a healthy level of spirituality. This scripture is your key:

James 1:5

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Boidea. It might be a stupid dilemma, but only if you let it. Just think, what is most important. God is Love and God always helps us. Pray to God and ask His Leading. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it: love thy neighbour as thyself. That is straightforward, and easy to remember. Love is very catching, and God wants loving and kind sons and daughters.
The Bible tells us: Love God first, and love our neighbour ( all we know and all we meet) as we love ourselves: treat all around us as we would love to be treated, always with love and compassion. Jesus our Saviour died that we might live, and we all know what love means. Let God know your heart, God will understand you, and God will BLESS you. Satan and his followers will run away from all love and compassion, and God will Bless us greatly. Love covers all unfriendly living. In Matthew 7: 7-10: we are told: Ask and you shall receive. We ask God for Love and Compassion, for Joy and Peace, then we share all love and joy and compassion, with all our neighbours. God will help and guide us, remember ASK and RECEIVE, then thank God and be God`s loving and obedient child. I say this with love, Boidea. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,160,272.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What can I do?
I have that Lutheran Study Bible, big/heavy!

Lately, we are doing Romans, and for Romans it's got freaky good sidebars, lol.

Do this: get a little NRSV or NIV bible, light and smaller, to take with you during work. Later, just after work, use the study Bible a minute only to see the sidebars.

Maybe have the study Bible there in your car.

This is even a better way to read! You should listen first, and let it soak in, and only look at commentary later, ideally.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
You can only do as much as you can physically do. There is no commandment in the Bible ordering you to study every day. Just do what you can. God will be happy.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums