I give up: I'd rather go backwards, than forwards (in Evolution)

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,989.00
Faith
Atheist
well ... if one is going to debate (compare) creation vs. evolution (apples to apples) the origin of life has to be included ... because the biblical claim is God created EVERYTHING, firstly the universe (environment) where life could be sustained .... scientifically regarding that .... there are and can only be theories (and there are many in that regard).
The questions evolution answers and explains so well is not where did life come from or arise, but why is it so diverse, and why does that diversity have the distinct pattern that it does?

If 'God-did-it' is the creation explanation, it still needs to explain why life is so diverse and why that diversity has the distinct pattern that it does (IOW, why did God make it so diverse and why in a pattern precisely matching the evolutionary explanation?). Otherwise, as I've said elsewhere, it's no more explanatory than saying "It's Magic!".

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Phred

Junior Mint
Aug 12, 2003
✟22,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
well ... if one is going to debate (compare) creation vs. evolution (apples to apples) the origin of life has to be included ... because the biblical claim is God created EVERYTHING, firstly the universe (environment) where life could be sustained .... scientifically regarding that .... there are and can only be theories (and there are many in that regard). Same is true about any other belief about the origin of life. The universe is vast and can not be completely observed ... much less fully understood and can only theorized.
Then you should be comparing it to a theory called Abiogenesis. That's the theory that explains where life came from. I'm sorry, but you don't get to decide what a theory should contain because of what the Bible says. We base those theories upon the phenomena they explain, not the fairy tales they happen to be closest to.

An idea (formulated thought(s) or opinion(s) are not indisputable fact(s) ... same is
true about God or any other "idea(s)" about the origin of life.

What IS true ... is ... that we don't know HOW the origin of life began (scientifically or otherwise) we only have ideas about it. Therefore people have their own thoughts and opinions about the matter.

Does it matter? Perhaps .... if the biblical account is true there is life after death ....
if not then there isn't? Don't believe in life after death? ... ok .... that's one's choice to believe that ... also nothing wrong with believing otherwise.

Bottom line .... WE DO NOT KNOW ... only have ideas about it and each decide what idea(s) they choose to believe and there are many beliefs.
One is supported by data. The other is not. It's not "an idea." It is a formulated series of constructs based upon evidence and work. A lot of work. We don't "believe" it. We accept it.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0