I cant find peace about going to college...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
Ive just registered today for school. Changed my major to Fashion Design cause I couldnt find peace about Web Design.. and now Im feeling just as stressed with the idea I signed up for Fashion Design. Ive always wanted to be some kind of designer... but now Im looking for more.. and nothing seems to fit right. I am using Financial Aid.. and feel like Im wasting money here. Im 26 just getting back into school did on my second semester... Im so confused... really as to what I really want to do with my life.. I was thinking of taking the semester off but others convinced me to stick with it.

I want to follow only Gods path... I keep dwelling on the idea like I want to expand my education into something greater but I cant find what it is... I was told you go to school to really find out what it is you want to do in your life.. My entire life I thought Id either be a fashion designer or Architect or something... and now that Im actually going after it all.. a huge cloud of fear has come over me.. to the point I feel depressed.

I feel like Im reaching a point in my life.. that I want to start a relationship & have a family.. I find myself just adoring other families.. and that maybe Im reaching to high & everything I really want was already within reach.. One of my biggest career goals since I was young was becoming a Fashion Designer... now here I am with opportunity & I have no faith in myself or feel that this job can do nothing to help others or share my experiences with God...

Am I just freaking out??? .. I prayed on it for the whole summer felt at peace about it & now its time to do & Im scared to death!! That I want to call my advisor & back out!

I feel like its an old dream Im trying to revive!! I love Gods way of the unexpected life.. I like building my life as I go ... the way he was doing it before... now I feel like Im confined to whatever it is I am committing to pursuing as a career!

Dixiecup

May 2, 2009
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ive just registered today for school. Changed my major to Fashion Design cause I couldnt find peace about Web Design.. and now Im feeling just as stressed with the idea I signed up for Fashion Design. Ive always wanted to be some kind of designer... but now Im looking for more.. and nothing seems to fit right. I am using Financial Aid.. and feel like Im wasting money here. Im 26 just getting back into school did on my second semester... Im so confused... really as to what I really want to do with my life.. I was thinking of taking the semester off but others convinced me to stick with it.

I want to follow only Gods path... I keep dwelling on the idea like I want to expand my education into something greater but I cant find what it is... I was told you go to school to really find out what it is you want to do in your life.. My entire life I thought Id either be a fashion designer or Architect or something... and now that Im actually going after it all.. a huge cloud of fear has come over me.. to the point I feel depressed.

I feel like Im reaching a point in my life.. that I want to start a relationship & have a family.. I find myself just adoring other families.. and that maybe Im reaching to high & everything I really want was already within reach.. One of my biggest career goals since I was young was becoming a Fashion Designer... now here I am with opportunity & I have no faith in myself or feel that this job can do nothing to help others or share my experiences with God...

Am I just freaking out??? .. I prayed on it for the whole summer felt at peace about it & now its time to do & Im scared to death!! That I want to call my advisor & back out!

Don't do the family thing just yet, because every woman in this day and age must have a career to be able to take care of herself and/or her kids. Marriage can be lost due to divorce or death.

Think outside the box. You want to help people. Medical school, law, nursing, police officer, mental health counselor, pastor of a church, ect... Time is going to go by anyway so you may as well get your education. School can be a long process, but you will enjoy it along the way. Are you interested in taking your education and becoming a military officer?

At my age, and I won't tell you, but I still go to college. Some say life is short, not true as it can be very long.

Blessings!!!

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
Don't do the family thing just yet, because every woman in this day and age must have a career to be able to take care of herself and/or her kids. Marriage can be lost due to divorce or death.

Think outside the box. You want to help people. Medical school, law, nursing, police officer, mental health counselor, pastor of a church, ect... Time is going to go by anyway so you may as well get your education. School can be a long process, but you will enjoy it along the way. Are you interested in taking your education and becoming a military officer?

At my age, and I won't tell you, but I still go to college. Some say life is short, not true as it can be very long.

Blessings!!!

Well I never actually sat down to see other options in other areas of my life that I may pursue a degree in. Though Ive always been interested in Meteorology, Animals, the Military.....

Yes I have considered in the past the possibility after college becoming an Officer. The branch Id like to go into would be the Coast Guard.
I love the ocean!!!!

As for a designing career Ive always wanted to be a part of but I dont feel its enough. Im only going for an Associates Degree right now. Im leaving the option open for something totally different for my Bachelors.

I love writing as well... I love reading.. Im a totally different person then I was when I was younger.... Everyone always convinced me I was going to be an artist that I was a creative genius... I hate being tied down or pushed in a corner to do one thing! I want to create & be able to make a difference at the same but also be financially stable! It is really not easy having so many interests in things!!!

Upvote 0

LauraLu

Aug 5, 2007
North Carolina
✟8,057.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
It sounds like you are drawn to creativity and things dealing with innovation (I am too!). Have you prayed about how you could use your creativity to glorify God, either as your career or on the side of your career? Like architecture or interior design in worship spaces? Maybe that can help you arrive at a decision.

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
for my associates Im actually stuck between Fashion Design & Fine Arts. Ive enrolled into Fashion Design... something I would like to pursue.. however Im feeling this strong pull to go after Fine Arts as my starting point. If I decide is it too late to change my major again?? Classes start tomorrow??

I feel like fine arts will open up my mind more... to be able to really succeed on other areas of design... & I feel fine arts really brings me closer to God really stretches my creativity. Maybe Fashion Design will do that too.. maybe he has something incredible planned....

I love Architecture.. and that is a huge possibilty in the future when I can attend school on campus!!

Upvote 0

Meeker

Just A Girl
Jan 10, 2008
Florida
✟7,846.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Ameri, I know just how you feel! Not so long ago, I thought I had my career all figured out. But then God got my attention (with something completely different!) and I realized some of the things I wanted to do just wouldn't be perhaps, useful as a Christian. I think we can easily say there are many things we want to do, and lots to choose from, but at the same time we'd like to think that as Christians, we'd rather do something that is going to make a difference in people's life, something God knows would be fulfilling for us, and good for other people.

As someone mentioned, you like to create things. I myself like fashion design, I love to design things, and create new things. It's fun, right? But I even asked God "Is it ok...to do fashion design? I mean...as a Christian, how do you choose what's appropraite? I don't want to design sleezy clothes, or clothes that might have some negative effect on people." So, I think it's good to pray and ask God for a way to use what you have in a way that He would like.

I used to want to make video games, or be a translator for them, but it occured to me video games aren't really...worth it. They don't lead to God, or benefit anyone in any way, ultimately.

The best thing to do is pray and ask God. You can't sit around forever, and get NOTHING done, of course. But perhaps what you can do is sit down, plan a course of action based on what you have so far, make wise choices during that, and then just let go, pray and trust God to lead you where you should go. =)

Upvote 0

gabrielListens

eagles fly alone
Apr 12, 2006
Chino Hills, Calif.
✟17,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
How about just taking general ed classes this semester to get them out of the way while you decide what you want to do. If you really want to go into fashion design then maybe try contacting some fashion designers and tell them you are thinking of taking it up in college as a major and see what they think or what advice they might have for you. Try looking for online message forums for fashion designers or architects. Those are usually great resources for finding out things about the industry. I bet some of them are also on facebook or twitter. Maybe even famous ones. You might want to also do the same with architects or any other field you might want to go into.

I had some free time so I found a couple forums for you. I just googled: fashion designer forums

http://www.fashion-era.com/forums/index.php?showforum=16
http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/fashion-designer.html

Upvote 0

Dixiecup

May 2, 2009
✟15,280.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well I never actually sat down to see other options in other areas of my life that I may pursue a degree in. Though Ive always been interested in Meteorology, Animals, the Military.....

Yes I have considered in the past the possibility after college becoming an Officer. The branch Id like to go into would be the Coast Guard.
I love the ocean!!!!

As for a designing career Ive always wanted to be a part of but I dont feel its enough. Im only going for an Associates Degree right now. Im leaving the option open for something totally different for my Bachelors.

I love writing as well... I love reading.. Im a totally different person then I was when I was younger.... Everyone always convinced me I was going to be an artist that I was a creative genius... I hate being tied down or pushed in a corner to do one thing! I want to create & be able to make a difference at the same but also be financially stable! It is really not easy having so many interests in things!!!

Art therapy is a specialization in psych, or you could do composite drawings of criminals to help crime victims. You could teach art on the side.

Make sure you get all the gen. ed. classes done in your community college experience so transferring to a 4 year university will be easy for you.

Upvote 0

AmeriLovesJesus

BELIEVING IS SEEING
Jan 18, 2004
New Jersey
Visit site
✟16,350.00
Faith
Christian
Hey everyone!!! Thank you so much for you advice!! Very helpful!!

As for the general education classes... my school is strictly an art school.. general classes to them are foundation classes.

Mr. Cheese,
I love your idea!! Thats what I want! I love diversity! I feel extremely suffocated by the idea of one set road. I want to pursue different areas of art or something else of interest through each degree and later combine them & what Ive learned... to pursue a great career.

To everyone else,

Fashion Design has always been something I have wanted to do but from the beginning I was a Fine Arts artist.. since I was very very young.. my true passion.. is expanding my imagination & creating something. Ive just started classes today and yes I am very very excited to be learning Fashion Design but I feel this pull like its saying not yet or something.. like there is an empty space in my mind that needs to be filled before I venture off into something limited like Fashion Design.. I know design can be endless with Fashion but its not has broad as Fine Arts... With Fashion Design there are only two set canvases (the human body) You can only stretch your creativity so far... then to top it off the industry scares me.. Ive adored Varsace, Armani, DKNY.... ETC. All those great designers and have always wanted to be where they are someday.

It almost feels like I have to get in touch with something before I pursue a career oriented degree.

I came across a post online that said "Aim high & everything else will fall into place"...
So Ive decided today to make a list... a plan...

I was scared out of the idea a week ago about pursuing Fine Arts for my Associates because its hard to be a fine arts artist... but last night as I was watching music videos... I went over some things (not over thinking it , like I usually do, I allowed room for God to talk)... how much over the years I had wished I had powerful beautiful voice or talent to play my favorite instrument (The Piano) or the talent to be a successful dancer... or the ability to be anything extraordinary that SOMEBODY ELSE was... then it hit me... My gift was Art... Art is my voice.. and when I think about creating it I feel like Im singing, dancing & playing an instrument. Pretty weird I could get all of that out of a half hour of just peace. I cannot say its what I am meant to do for the rest of my life as a CAREER ... I still see myself pursuing Fashion Design or Architecture.... in the future.. I just feel that Fine Arts is going to open my mind...or fill a void...

To another poster here.. yes I agree.. I do not have any taste for any fashion that degrades a woman. I love urban style & fashionable clothing.

Religious art is my favorite.. and I want to create my own someday...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.