Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Christianity I come from holds the Bible to be inerrant. To my surprise, I've found that to be a minority view on these forums.

The Bible is no doubt a symbol of Christianity and (at least sometimes) the guide to living for Christians. Therefore I would expect there to be a consensus on the most basic fact about it. Since there isn't one, I'd just like to know, with or without justification, which of the following describes you:

1. I believe the Bible is inerrant.

2. I believe the original copies were inerrant but the present Bible has errors which do not cause significant harm to the text.

3. The Bible is obviously full of errors and/or outdated material and I believe I have to use my own reasoning when reading.

4. The Bible is obviously full of errors and/or outdated material and I believe I have to be guided by the Holy Spirit when reading.

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I picked #2 with the understanding that the term bible means translation of the bible which there is no perfect translation but the deviation in translation from the original would be extremely minute. (howz that for a run on sentence? lol).

BTW, I agree that there are a surprising # here who have a low view of the inerrancy of Scripture...a sign of the coming apostasy throughout Christendom.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
a sign of the coming apostasy throughout Christendom.
and the past apostasy. Remember all the slaughterings of the innocents and guiltless ones, who did not defend themselves, all in the name of religion (but for power, money, and position, without conscience, but with great sin)

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe in the Bible because it works. I haven't experienced everything in the Bible, but I have experienced more than enough of it.

I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? (Galatians 3:2, 1984 NIV)

Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard? (Galatians 3:5, 1984 NIV)

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Christianity I come from holds the Bible to be inerrant. To my surprise, I've found that to be a minority view on these forums.

The Bible is no doubt a symbol of Christianity and (at least sometimes) the guide to living for Christians. Therefore I would expect there to be a consensus on the most basic fact about it. Since there isn't one, I'd just like to know, with or without justification, which of the following describes you:

1. I believe the Bible is inerrant.

2. I believe the original copies were inerrant but the present Bible has errors which do not cause significant harm to the text.

3. The Bible is obviously full of errors and/or outdated material and I believe I have to use my own reasoning when reading.

4. The Bible is obviously full of errors and/or outdated material and I believe I have to be guided by the Holy Spirit when reading.

# 1 came close to my vote but you worded it to tight, but # 2 was almost 97 % of where I am. The bible speaks to my heart and soul so deeply. I try to read it every day and use Our Daily Bread. I really study the Bible and that is about once a week, That takes me about 2 to 3 hours as I really dig deep into the word study. My three Bible would be the first things I would grab if we had a fire, assuming my pets were out and of course my wife would be the very first thing out.

The Bible is my spiritual food and without it I would surely die. I thank the Lord we have the Bible. The history how we got the English Bible is an awesome story, Many lives were lost getting to its form we have today. Oh how I thank Jesus for saving me, and His Word He has given us. How wonderfully blessed I am.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and the past apostasy. Remember all the slaughterings of the innocents and guiltless ones, who did not defend themselves, all in the name of religion (but for power, money, and position, without conscience, but with great sin)
Hi Jeff, I was thinking of this apostasy which ties in with a 'letting go' of God's Word.

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God. Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
(2Th 2:3-11)

Those that slaughtered others over doctrine were not Christians.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Could you please tell me how that related to what you think about the Bible?

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I think that apostasy may even be found in the OLD TESTAMENT long before Y'SHUA was born, died, and was raised from death never to die again.
Likewise,
much of what the Apostles were trained by Y'SHUA to do was battling apostasy, and a sure word to be able to resist it, though many did not even try to resist it.
Likewise,
apostasy is seen through the ages since almost the first century.

All completely and totally in line with and perfect HARMONY WITH YHWH'S WORD.

Because men trust, rely on, or fear flesh, instead of trusting YHWH and YHWH'S WORD in union in and with Y'SHUA,
and because mankind is overfull of deception and wickedness,
much happened.

Another 'apostasy' may happen , yes. It is the way of mankind, and what mankind deserves, along with the judgment for it.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Could you please tell me how that related to what you think about the Bible?
I found the BIBLE to be inerrant, totally faithful, guarded by YHWH even more than HE guards HIS OWN NAME.

Upvote 0

Grafted In

Site Supporter
Apr 15, 2012
Upper midwest
✟61,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Your poll is pointless. You are an atheist and therefore are without spiritual understanding. Christians work within the spiritual realm where what they believe is given to them by the Holy Spirit who dwells within them.
Atheists on the other hand work within the things of this world and are lead by and motivated by their father, the devil.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Your poll is pointless. You are an atheist and therefore are without spiritual understanding. Christians work within the spiritual realm where what they believe is given to them by the Holy Spirit who dwells within them.
Atheists on the other hand work within the things of this world and are lead by and motivated by their father, the devil.

Sometime those who say they do not believe are really seekers. this give us a chance to share how Scripture is so important to us. I am always ready to tell of the reasons for my faith. Think about it.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Atheists are not supposed to be posting here unless they are truly seeking. The purpose of this thread is more for the apologetics arena.

Another rule of Exploring Christianity is that there is no debate and only one seeker can pose a question.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I picked #2 with the understanding that the term bible means translation of the bible which there is no perfect translation but the deviation in translation from the original would be extremely minute. (howz that for a run on sentence? lol).

BTW, I agree that there are a surprising # here who have a low view of the inerrancy of Scripture...a sign of the coming apostasy throughout Christendom.

A sign of the coming apostasy? I was on the fence between pre-trib and mid-trib as a Christian and I believed that Revelation spoke of future events. But what is this coming apostasy? I don't remember that part.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I believe in the Bible because it works. I haven't experienced everything in the Bible, but I have experienced more than enough of it.

I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? (Galatians 3:2, 1984 NIV)

Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard? (Galatians 3:5, 1984 NIV)

I'm not sure if your posting of Galatians 3 is supposed to be rhetorical or if you assume I know the answer, but I don't. Could you share the answer?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
# 1 came close to my vote but you worded it to tight, but # 2 was almost 97 % of where I am.

I'm not sure what you mean. Is there something between choices 1 and 2? How would you word it? The way I see it, anything more strict than choice 2 is choice 1.

Upvote 0

Nihilist Virus

Infectious idea
Oct 24, 2015
California
✟156,979.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

So... choice 4 then?

Upvote 0

Greg J.

Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2016
Southeast Michigan
✟233,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure if your posting of Galatians 3 is supposed to be rhetorical or if you assume I know the answer, but I don't. Could you share the answer?

I believed what Scripture said about God and as a result experienced receiving the Holy Spirit and miracles, and still do.

Upvote 0

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A sign of the coming apostasy? I was on the fence between pre-trib and mid-trib as a Christian and I believed that Revelation spoke of future events. But what is this coming apostasy? I don't remember that part.

It is found here.

2 Thessalonians 2:2-4 KJVS
[2] That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand. [3] Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come , except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; [4] Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I voted #2 because it aligns best with what I believe about the original manuscripts being inerrant, but various copyist errors have crept in over the centuries, and in some cases we cannot be certain of the original reading, yet I do not feel that this detracts from the value of the modern translations for study.

On a side note, I believe in the Bible because of fulfilled prophesy, and because it transformed my heart, soul, and mind when studied and believed in.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.