Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
People like to say that the Bible is 'inerrant', but who wrote the Bible, think about it. It was written by 'imperfect' men, yes they were inspired, but it was there finger that put it down and not God. As I point out, only the Ten Commandments can be called 'inerrant' as that was written by God with His own finger. The words in the Bible were sufficient for doctrine as the Holy Spirit can guide you into all truth, but the words were not 'perfect' if we seek that because it was in the language of man whether Latin, Greek, or Hebrew, which was not sufficient to give the full meaning of Gods words. The reason is that mans words were 'imperfect' in describing the fullness and completeness of God and His interaction with us, but it was just the means to communicate His purpose from the beginning. The Holy Spirit must bring us to understanding the perfection of inerrancy, for He speaks and shows the words of Christ.

John 16:13-14
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
People like to say that the Bible is 'inerrant', but who wrote the Bible, think about it. It was written by 'imperfect' men, yes they were inspired, but it was there finger that put it down and not God. As I point out, only the Ten Commandments can be called 'inerrant' as that was written by God with His own finger. The words in the Bible were sufficient for doctrine as the Holy Spirit can guide you into all truth, but the words were not 'perfect' if we seek that because it was in the language of man whether Latin, Greek, or Hebrew, which was not sufficient to give the full meaning of Gods words. The reason is that mans words were 'imperfect' in describing the fullness and completeness of God and His interaction with us, but it was just the means to communicate His purpose from the beginning. The Holy Spirit must bring us to understanding the perfection of inerrancy, for He speaks and shows the words of Christ.

John 16:13-14
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
I would disagree with this. Ellen White tells us the correct message gets through as different authors wrote from different perspectives as no two people think exactly alike and have exactly the same life experiences on which to draw from.

Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟108,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?​

I like what @Gary K has pointed out

But
There are some inaccuracies

Like the placement of the comma in this text;

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
Luke 23:43

Of course, it wasn't today, as Jesus laid in the tomb for three days (or parts of three days)
But should read 'I say unto thee today,'

It's a translation they didn't get right

But, if you study 'line upon line, precept upon precept', it becomes quite clear

As far as 'imperfections' of the original authors, I thoroughly enjoy the different views in the four gospels

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?​

I like what @Gary K has pointed out

But
There are some inaccuracies

Like the placement of the comma in this text;

And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, Today shalt thou be with me in paradise.
Luke 23:43

Of course, it wasn't today, as Jesus laid in the tomb for three days (or parts of three days)
But should read 'I say unto thee today,'

It's a translation they didn't get right

But, if you study 'line upon line, precept upon precept', it becomes quite clear

As far as 'imperfections' of the original authors, I thoroughly enjoy the different views in the four gospels
I would point out that your example is not the fault is not the fault pf the author. It was the translators whose preconceptions got on the way of accuracy. That's why God scattered the information on the state of the dead all throughout the Bible as He knew what would come in the future.

My faith in God's omniscience and His love for all humanity is growing daily as He is revealing more of Himself to me all the time.

Here is something else I realized lately.

Jeremiah 1: 5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

This is what God told Jeremiah. He specifically created Jeremiah for the task Jeremiah was to accomplish for Him. This means God is actually in control of our genetics. He creates each one of us to do specific tasks for Him and makes sure we have the personal attributes we need to accomplish them. There are no accidents of birth

Reactions: Gary O'
Upvote 0

MegChristian

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2024
USA
✟16,361.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am going to say, no, the words of the Bible are not "imperfect" I think the important question is what are you trying to find in the Bible. People read the Bible for a lot of reasons, and far too many people are trying to use it to mean something they want it to mean or to justify something they want to justify.

Reactions: Gary K
Upvote 0

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am going to say, no, the words of the Bible are not "imperfect" I think the important question is what are you trying to find in the Bible. People read the Bible for a lot of reasons, and far too many people are trying to use it to mean something they want it to mean or to justify something they want to justify.
So should 'Easter' be in there as it was never in the original text...

Upvote 0

BibleLinguist

Mar 18, 2024
Sukhothai
✟2,003.00
Country
Thailand
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I don't think there is such a thing as a perfect translation. The translators were not divinely inspired in the same capacity as the Bible authors.

But what about the "original" text? (Obviously, the autographs no longer exist, so we are talking about copies of copies of copies, etc. from the original text, hereafter called simply "original" for simplicity.)

The original languages included Hebrew, Syriac, Aramaic, and Greek, with dashes of loanwords from other Semitic languages such as Phoenician, Canaanite, etc.

With respect to the Hebrew text, it was meticulously preserved by the Jewish scribes. Mistakes in copying were not tolerated: more than one or two on a single page-worth of text and the entire manuscript would be discarded and rewritten. Such was the integrity of the copyists that they would not even correct misspellings--whatever their "original" manuscript contained would be copied exactly as it was--although they might add a marginal note to indicate they believed it should be different. These marginal notes are what inform us today of their fastidious ethic and high standard for accuracy.

I have heard it said, but have not yet researched this aspect carefully, that there are only about 17 variances of any significance in the Hebrew/Aramaic text of the Old Testament.

The New Testament, however, is a different story. Various manuscript copies exist, with quite some significant alterations among them. Edits, some appearing to be quite intentional with an eye to doctrinal change, have been done on the Greek text--even before it gets translated to the various versions we read in English today. One salient example, in my mind, is the change of the word "hiuos" ("son") to "theos" ("god") in John 1:18 in at least one Greek manuscript, which is then followed by many modern translations to create a self-contradictory translation that says "the only God" is at the Father's side! (See the ESV translation, for example.)

Erasmus, in his day, did faithful and careful work in compiling the extant Greek manuscripts of the New Testament. Ellen White appears to commend him for his work, but says something quite interesting regarding the accuracy of the text.

. . . In 1516, a year before the appearance of Luther's theses, Erasmus had published his Greek and Latin version of the New Testament. Now for the first time the word of God was printed in the original tongue. In this work many errors of former versions were corrected, and the sense was more clearly rendered. It led many among the educated classes to a better knowledge of the truth, and gave a new impetus to the work of reform. But the common people were still, to a great extent, debarred from God's word. Tyndale was to complete the work of Wycliffe in giving the Bible to his countrymen. {GC 245.1}

While "many errors...were corrected," she does not say they all were. We can know that some remain. Unless, however, we have a clear Biblical basis by which to identify the errors, it should not be our work to look for them. The less attention given to supposed errors, the better; yet no one should be so dogmatic as to claim there are none.

Upvote 0

Tigger Boy

Jun 12, 2023
Chapin, SC
✟19,325.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
This is what God told Jeremiah. He specifically created Jeremiah for the task Jeremiah was to accomplish for Him. This means God is actually in control of our genetics. He creates each one of us to do specific tasks for Him and makes sure we have the personal attributes we need to accomplish them. There are no accidents of birth
A God of love does not create robots . He gives each of us free choice, to do with our lives as we choose. Were you parents chosen by God to wed, thereby, making up your specific genetic pool of which you were formed? So you have not chosen to follow God, but had to, because you were designed to perform certain task for God? Is this not predestination?

If as you say were true, please explain why the majority of all the created will be lost?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

reddogs

Contributor
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2006
✟427,704.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
A God of love does not create robots . He gives each of us free choice, to do with our lives as we choose. Were you parents chosen by God to wed, thereby, making up your specific genetic pool of which you were formed? So you have not chosen to follow God, but had to, because you were designed to perform certain task for God? Is this not predestination?

If as you say were true, please explain why the majority of all the created will be lost?
Look in the scriptures and see what it says..

Romans 9:27
Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved:

Romans 11:5
Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Revelation 12:17
And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

So, to hang onto your beliefs you will deny plain scripture.

Jeremiah 1: 4 Then the word of the Lord came unto me, saying,
5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Each and everyone of us are a miracle. If any sperm other than the one that fertilized the egg that created any one of us had not reached the egg first someone else would have been born. Statisticians tell us any odds over 1,000.000 to 1 are an impossibility. And the sperm that fertilized the egg that became each of us faced odds 500 times greater than that. In other words, we are all miracles.

Just because we are miraculously created doesn't mean we are not free moral agents too. Adam and Eve and Satan were miraculously created too and they brought sin into this world.

Upvote 0