Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So far, and I'm guessing none of those deaths were people you knew or close to you. You might think it's overblown, but to be sure someone cares that those people died from what really is a preventable disease when the appropriate caution is exercised.
Compare the numbers to other diseases that have far worse outcomes and yet do not generate the paranoia C19 does. Heck, even driving exacts a higher toll, yet we're not told to stay home and ruin the world's economy to fight that.

• Agree
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I don't know what advice you can give me. But any encouraging or advice will be helpful. Thank you very much.

I think someone else on page one gave some good advice in that we should not be afraid, though it is okay to be concerned. Fearful thinking is more likely to lead us to irrational choices.

I think you've made the right choice not to visit your mother, although even then there are precautions you can take to minimize the risk of exposure if you believe she needs your help (like with jobs around the house, bringing over supplies to help her get through etc).

Some effective practices you can follow to reduce risk is to stop touching your face, wash your hands frequently (not obsessively :) ), refrain from touching surfaces which you do not absolutely need to touch, and always wear a mask outside, keeping as much distance between you and others as you sit or walk (if you don't have a car).

If you do decide to visit your mother, take a couple sets of clean clothes sealed in a plastic bag. As soon as you arrive, find a place (like in the garage or just outside the door) to change into a clean set of clothes, putting the used clothes in a separate plastic bag. Remove your mask by touching the straps rather than the cloth. Disinfect your hands. Then you can go inside knowing that you're probably not going to accidentally infect her.

Upvote 0

John42

Feb 15, 2020
Toronto
✟20,121.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am terrified. All I can think about is this virus that's going around. It is in my town right now and so far two people have found to be positive with this virus. I am afraid to go shopping. I won't even spend time with my family. My mom has invited me to go and spend time with her, and she is a widow. But I won't do it. I won't let anyone touch me. I am obsessed with washing my hands every second of the day. My hands are starting to crack.

I am healthy physically right now. But mentally I think I'm going to have a breakdown. I keep getting news about so many people dying and how the death toll is increasing. I took the trash out and some stuff flew in my face. That freaks me out. I washed my face but I know that if I end up with a virus, washing it won't stop it.

I don't know what advice you can give me. But any encouraging or advice will be helpful. Thank you very much.

I don't read the news everyday. It's too negative. If you're cautious you have nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am terrified. All I can think about is this virus that's going around. It is in my town right now and so far two people have found to be positive with this virus. I am afraid to go shopping. I won't even spend time with my family. My mom has invited me to go and spend time with her, and she is a widow. But I won't do it. I won't let anyone touch me. I am obsessed with washing my hands every second of the day. My hands are starting to crack.

I am healthy physically right now. But mentally I think I'm going to have a breakdown. I keep getting news about so many people dying and how the death toll is increasing. I took the trash out and some stuff flew in my face. That freaks me out. I washed my face but I know that if I end up with a virus, washing it won't stop it.

The best advice I can offer is to stop watching the news endlessly. The media have an interest in making you terrified. The more you click/read/subscribe... the more money they make.

The more you tune in to their stories, the more fear you will find. The more fear you find the more you click every story, it is a vicious cycle.

The virus is real and to be taken seriously as it is unknown and can be scary, not knowing how this is going to turn out.

It really does come down to what we choose to feed our minds with. IF we allow our minds and eyes to seek through stories of fear, fear is what we will find. IF we keep our eyes/minds and hearts on the hope we have in Christ.... it is peace, love, grace etc. that we find.

That is not to say that the enemy will not try to temp tou to feeding into fear, but we choose what we focus our attention on.

It is not always easy to do, but it IS akways better to do what we can to be safe, but to keep our eyes on the Lord, not the circumstances that surround us.

**In short, put down the news stories pick up the word and spend time in prayer.

No one is promised tomorrow. It was true before coronavirus, it is true during coronavirus and will remain true after coronavirus.

We can not add a single moment to our lives by worrying... so we can spend our time in fear (accomplishing nothing) , or use our time to draw closer to the Lord.(Eternal benefit)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm immunocompromised, I'm an at risk population. If I contract the disease I am more likely to get seriously ill or die.
My brain tells me I should be afraid.
But I'm not.
I take precautions, like I stay at home unless I have to go out, I keep a few weeks worth of food at a time a lot of it frozen, canned, non perishable in case we're told not to go to the grocery store anymore.
I wash my hands better
I made sure I have ammunition because it could come to pass that enough people lose their jobs and crime goes up and I may need to defend myself
All of these things seem prudent and cautious and good to do.
But I am not afraid.
I'm not even afraid if I catch the virus and die.
I know I have every worldly reason to be
but I'm not
I'm at peace with all of it.

Because I know the Lord is taking care of me. He used my affliction to tell me to stay home before it got bad, even from church, as much as I'd like to go. He put me in a condition where I cannot go, so I am listening. I pray more, I read my bible, I listen to sermons online, and I am thankful that this virus has given many people including myself more time to think about God. I pray that this virus makes people come to Christ, and depend more on Christ, and gives them hope through Christ, so that they can be content, prudent, but unafraid, and have hope in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Compare the numbers to other diseases that have far worse outcomes and yet do not generate the paranoia C19 does. Heck, even driving exacts a higher toll, yet we're not told to stay home and ruin the world's economy to fight that.

This video shows the virus is deadlier than anything before it.

Coronavirus vs. Every 2000s Epidemic (March 19 update) Fatality comparison

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I believe that this virus has come into the world due to the sins of homosexuality, abortion, and others. Only through repentance will a life be assured of protection. However for the believer, I feel God has given this Psalm for this time:

Psa 91:1-16 Live under the protection of God Most High and stay in the shadow of God All-Powerful. Then you will say to the LORD, "You are my fortress, my place of safety; you are my God, and I trust you." The Lord will keep you safe from secret traps and deadly diseases. He will spread his wings over you and keep you secure. His faithfulness is like a shield or a city wall. You won't need to worry about dangers at night or arrows during the day. And you won't fear diseases that strike in the dark or sudden disaster at noon. You will not be harmed, though thousands fall all around you. And with your own eyes you will see the punishment of the wicked. The LORD Most High is your fortress. Run to him for safety, and no terrible disasters will strike you or your home. God will command his angels to protect you wherever you go. They will carry you in their arms, and you won't hurt your feet on the stones. You will overpower the strongest lions and the most deadly snakes. The Lord says, "If you love me and truly know who I am, I will rescue you and keep you safe. When you are in trouble, call out to me. I will answer and be there to protect and honor you. You will live a long life and see my saving power."

Upvote 0

Amittai

baggage apostate
Aug 20, 2006
✟41,180.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Life was tough for almost everybody up till 60 years ago including some aspects of my early days. Lots of illnesses, unsavoury neighbours though we didn't give them a second thought at the time. Had to count every penny - literally.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Well, worst would be more like spreading it to his mom and others and then dying.
Sheesh, all the negativity! He's not going to see his mother so it won't happen. The disease is rarely fatal. In Italy, a place really badly hit, most of the deaths are of people with one foot in the grave already. 99% of people recover with no ill effects. I'm more at risk - 69 shortly. I could care less.

"For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power, love, and self-control." 2 Timothy 1:7

If God did not give us this fear, guess where it comes from......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dogs4thewin

dog lover
Christian Forums Staff
Hands-on Trainee
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2012
Georgia U.S. State
✟896,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
While it IS true that the death toll is rising keep in mind a couple of thing ( first that according to the numbers several 100 more people have recovered than died ( and those are just the reported cases. Since many people recover without needing medical intervention ( besides over the counter medication there are MANY more recoverities than those several 100 more than deaths. Also remember that it is much more likely that a death will be reported than a recovery. If someone dies and is suspected of having the virus they can actually do a test and confirm the cause of death was the virus. On the other hand, they do not tests people that recovered on their own to confirm that they had it and no longer do.

Upvote 0

John Helpher

John 3:16
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2020
Houston
✟85,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Sheesh, all the negativity! He's not going to see his mother so it won't happen.

Things change. It's good to be prepared for all the various options.

The disease is rarely fatal.

There have been close to 24k deaths around the world. Is there some reason why you'd feel a need to minimize this number?

In Italy, a place really badly hit, most of the deaths are of people with one foot in the grave already.

Yeah, because that's consistent with what Jesus taught; why concern ourselves with the weak and the sick who have already got one foot in the grave anyway?

99% of people recover with no ill effects.

Can you provide a source for this claim?

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Buuuut not for the adultery or greed of professing Christians?

note I said "and others".

God spoke to me before this virus stating he was going to "invade them", with a curse, who promoted homosexuality, He spoke this in anger. I recently saw a video where He spoke to Perry Stone telling him this virus was a day of reckoning for their sins of homosexuality and abortion.

Upvote 0