Somewhere
✟4,813.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Can I still entertain myself by collecting and listening to the Compact disc and watching a DVD. Well, I am attempting to this in 2021 and beyond. I gave up all streaming and got rid of all my streaming devices to challenge myself to do this experiment. I am thinking that a old school life is best for me now that I am grown up and more mature. Can one do this is 2021? I am about to find out. Wish me luck as I do this from now on.

Occams Barber

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2012
Northern NSW
✟991,640.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Can I still entertain myself by collecting and listening to the Compact disc and watching a DVD. Well, I am attempting to this in 2021 and beyond. I gave up all streaming and got rid of all my streaming devices to challenge myself to do this experiment. I am thinking that a old school life is best for me now that I am grown up and more mature. Can one do this is 2021? I am about to find out. Wish me luck as I do this from now on.

Once you master the DVD Generation, try taking a dramatic leap backwards into the distant past with vinyl records and printed books. :(

OB

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟125,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can I still entertain myself by collecting and listening to the Compact disc and watching a
You sure can! I had it on my list to figure out an iPod and get one. I never did and I hear that they don't exist anymore. I've gone without internet since 2013. Survived off of a laptop doing Wi-Fi at different places at one time and now solely data. I've given away a lot of my CDs and even my stereo has broken on the CD component, but I use radio off of it. Still good sound. Same with when I'm in a vehicle I use the radio. When I go running I don't use anything at all, I stay clearly aware of my environment even if it's for hours. I've been able to manage listening to new CDs when I do my media breaks by checking out CDs from the library. I found plenty of Christian CDs I never heard before. And I thought I would have to buy a new CD player or something, but I figured it out for my 2010 Apple laptop. I have some Bose speakers I bought many years ago that I hook up into the laptop and play the CDs that way. It's high quality sound.

I do have to use other people's internet though to check out library books and DVDs though, since I don't like to go in the library and would rather just pick it up. I researched and have made a list over time of different DVD movies that I'm interested in. And I don't do it all the time I just do it in certain increments. Trust me there's plenty to keep you entertained and I think you can do well if you don't try everything at once. It takes years to master going without many of the conveniences you've become accustomed to. It also will make you less reliant on it if there ever comes a day that it is controlled by the government or taken away..

I know that sounds kind of conspiracy but I was sitting with my neighbor a few months ago just thinking about what would people do if the government started mandating some kind of requirement, and if you didn't meet that requirement you had no access to non-essential things like entertainment. Or if social media was limited to only certain people or internet access or cable, the list goes on. But that's another thought for another day.

The other benefit is your health. Where your time is going and managing it in the best way. The value of entertainment never appreciates in value.

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,721.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You can certainly do this in 2021. If anything, today is a better time than ever, as used CDs and DVDs are quite affordable. I've been getting into vinyl (2nd time. 1st was in the mid '90s when vinyl was cheap, but I gave most of it away). Unfortunately, even used records are expensive for what you get. Although the physicality and warmth of vinyl has its charm, along with the bigger artwork and liner notes, there's something to be said for pristine clarity of digital recordings.

But I hear you about not streaming. I'd rather own than rent. Despite having a collection of records and CDs, however, I still stream most of my content.

One thing my entertainment system lacks is a CD/DVD changer. If I can't find a new one with the features I want, I may pull the trigger on a used one.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
I got into streaming this year, but I don't pay for but the internet I only stream what is free (with commercials) and I like it but there is limited amount of stuff out there I've gotten close to exhausting the stuff I'm interested in that wasn't available on tv over the air (free also).

I've collected a lot of dvds and cds mostly bought used for a fraction of the new price instead of paying for cable or satellite tv. I also had an Ipod 30G video, then bought a second one for parts and used it to fix a 60Gb video Ipod I got for dirt cheap. Since I got a cell phone with a large memory card in it I don't need the Ipods as my CD music collection ripped to Mp3 files can fill up the 60G ipod even but my phone has a 200Gb memory card so plenty of room in it and bluetooth rocks. I now stream over 4000 of my favorite songs from my phone to bluetooth speakers, car stereo, and wireless earphones. I do listen to the radio now and then but I guess I've gotten very used to not messing with commercials.

I upgrade my dvds to blu=rays now and have a 4k tv set but spend a lot of my time listening to tv more than watching it although I've got sort of addicted to game walkthroughs as I enjoy games but the hassle and time spent on them vs watching someone play the entire game knowing what to do it is almost like a long movie.

Just to let folks know who don't know a DVD player can play CDs and a Blu-Ray player can play CDs and DVDs too so if you are considering buying any of these consider a blu-ray player so you can cover all three formats.

Upvote 0

Sunshinee777

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2020
Finland
✟168,856.00
Country
Finland
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Lol first I thought this is another new sexuality DVD and CD. You never know anymore. :D

Of course you can collect dvd and cd. As a music lover I would collect vinyls if I had the money. I have lot of respect for all those people who collect and treasure these stuff which are in danger of being destroyed. VHS videos are awesome Btw. I wish I still had those.
Just keep doing what you do!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums