God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let's say that the courts rule that Christian creationism is a valid subject to teach in science classes in public schools, in addition to (or in place of) the ToE. (With the current administration, such a possibility isn't so far-fetched anymore).

The big question then, of course, will be what version of creationism? If it's going to be taught as a scientific subject, the course material has to be standardized. So what should schools teach?

Young Earth Creationism?
Old Earth Creationism?
Day-Age Creationism?
Gap Theory Creationism?
Progressive Creationism?
'Embedded Age' Creationism?
'Past State' Creationism?
Intelligent Design Creationism?
Theistic Evolution (which, as certain people are fond of pointing out, is technically a form of creationism)?
Another alternative?

In all the time I've been on these forums, I've rarely seen two people agree on a single creation model. But if you want to teach it in public schools, you're going to have to. And how can you be so sure that your particular flavor of creationism will end up being the one chosen?

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what should schools teach?
Embedded Age Creationism
From an earlier post, here's a syllabus I made up:

Creationist Test:

1. Explain the difference between creatio ex nihilo and creatio ex materia; and give two examples of each.
  2. Explain the difference between "God" and "LORD God".
  3. Eden in the Bible is known as __________ in the lab.
  4. The triune Godhead is a violation of what scientific law?
  5. Put the following in order that they appeared in the universe: whales, stars, trees, sun, land, sea, outer space.
  6. What day was Adam created on?
  7. Was the universe created a closed system and, if not, what kind of energy did it run off of? if it was created open, what closed it?
  8. Describe terra aqua and what kind of water it consisted of and why.
  9. Photosynthesis required light from the sun prior to the Fall. true or false?
  10. Explain how a 24-hour day could transpire before the sun was created.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Embedded Age Creationism

And what happens when people argue in favor of teaching a different kind of creationism? How can you convince them that your option is best?

Upvote 0

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Let's say that the courts rule that Christian creationism is a valid subject to teach in science classes in public schools, in addition to (or in place of) the ToE. (With the current administration, such a possibility isn't so far-fetched anymore).

The big question then, of course, will be what version of creationism? If it's going to be taught as a scientific subject, the course material has to be standardized. So what should schools teach?

Young Earth Creationism?
Old Earth Creationism?
Day-Age Creationism?
Gap Theory Creationism?
Progressive Creationism?
'Embedded Age' Creationism?
'Past State' Creationism?
Intelligent Design Creationism?
Theistic Evolution (which, as certain people are fond of pointing out, is technically a form of creationism)?
Another alternative?

In all the time I've been on these forums, I've rarely seen two people agree on a single creation model. But if you want to teach it in public schools, you're going to have to. And how can you be so sure that your particular flavor of creationism will end up being the one chosen?
There is just one major problem, Creationism is NOT science. How about Hindu creationism? or Native American? or Australian Aborigine? Is there any culture dead or alive that does not have their own creation myth?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And what happens when people argue in favor of teaching a different kind of creationism?
I would tell them to go through the proper channels.

Don't come to me about it.

I'm just doing my job.
Strathos said:
How can you convince them that your option is best?
Invite them to our church.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Why not encourage thought and consideration

Thought and consideration is already being encouraged. And it leads to mainstream science, not to rehashed arguments from the 50s disguised in a lab coat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What are:
- 'Embedded Age' Creationism;
- 'Past State' Creationism?

Thanks
Embedded Age Creationism is the belief that God created the universe having maturity, but without a history.

As Adam Clarke put it:

'It appears that God created every thing, not only perfect as it respects its nature, but also in a state of maturity, so that every vegetable production appeared at once in full growth; and this was necessary that man, when he came into being, might find every thing ready for his use.'

And as Peter put it:

2 Peter 3:5 For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water:

Past State Creationism, if I have it right, basically says that the universe ran under a different set of constants at one time.

For example, the speed of light was faster.

It thoroughly blows uniformitarianism out of the water; and does so without having to invoke catastrophism.

Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
There is just one major problem, Creationism is NOT science. How about Hindu creationism? or Native American? or Australian Aborigine? Is there any culture dead or alive that does not have their own creation myth?

The point of this thread is to ask those who want creationism taught in schools how they would go about doing it, and which version they would choose. Because they seem to have little in common when it comes to their specific views, other than opposition to evolution. So, hypothetically, if evolution wasn't even an issue, is there even any consensus or standard for how to teach creationism? In public schools, the same thing would have to be taught nationwide. But so many creationists can't agree with each other.

I would tell them to go through the proper channels.

Don't come to me about it.

I'm just doing my job.

And what if some other version of creationism ends up getting more support?

Invite them to our church.

Say that they come, listen to what you have to say, and then respectfully disagree, and invite you to their church to hear their side of the issue?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
...teaching hitting the lottery 1000 times in a row is probable ..

Your example is also known as the gambler's fallacy. You seem to imply that after winning in the lottery the chances of winning the lottery after that would go down. But the chances will always be the same (around 1 in 13,983,816). Each try to win the lottery is independent therefore the chances stay the same.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,982.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Since some are now pushing various laws to prevent school districts from placing any standards on what teachers teach in science class... the most likely answer is that students would learn whatever their specific teacher wanted to teach.

How can you standardize something when the whole point is to reject the scientific consensus?

norse-myth-391x500.jpg

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,516.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think ID would be a good place to start . Why not encourage thought and consideration instead of slamming the door and teaching hitting the lottery 1000 times in a row is probable ..
Great. What's the theory of Intelligent Design?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.