Aug 18, 2015
✟1,346,889.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
People who are experiencing a manic high do things they would not normally do. They can participate in inappropriate and risky sexual behaviour due to chemical imbalance. Some people ruin their marriages or relationships because they’re unable to control their sexual urges.

This is very true, but many people don't realize it. Also, high spending, risk-taking and anger can be issues during an active manic phase before anhedonia sets in (if it does). It is not just a matter of having more self-control.

Having said that, yes it is a sin. A sin is a sin regardless of the circumstances or background issues. On the other hand, I truly believe that God is merciful and understands. On an emotional level, it's rather like an addiction. God can certainly provide help and healing for this.

It might be helpful to make an action plan for how to cope with overwhelming sexual urges when not in the manic or depressive stages. Write it down because it's unlikely to be recalled when emotions are high (or low). Try some things; if they work then keep them on the list. If they don't work, replace them with other ideas. There is no simple formula and it will probably take a while to find what works, but the victory will be worth it!

Upvote 0

lightmyway82

Jun 22, 2016
Australia
✟15,267.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
You're right, Light. Many Christians don't have an understanding, let alone a good one, about mental illness (although, truth be known, I imagine that if you could take a survey of Christians themselves in relation to their own mental states, many of them would be found to be suffering emotionally, maybe without yet having been diagnosed, from varies mental challenges and maladies). How do I know this? I have an 'inkling' about this because my mother was Schizophrenic/Bi-polar Depressive, and while I was growing up trying to deal with her illness, it was the rare Christian that ever had insight into her problem and genuinely reached out to her or befriended her. Because of this, I was often bewildered and at times a bit off-put with fellow Christians who I thought would and should know how to be sensitive to people with emotional needs and challenges, especially with someone who suffered as much as my mom.

However, just because a lot of people who claim to be Christians can be apathetic knuckle-heads doesn't by necessity demonstrate that Christianity is at fault. It just shows that Christians refuse to learn a lot of things about their humanity that God never restricted them from learning. ;)

Blessings,
2PhiloVoid

Thank you for your personal story about your mother being Schizophrenic/Bi-polar Depressive, and some christian attidudes towards mental illness. I can relate to that. I wish I had time to reply to the other posts right now. I want to make it clear my problem isn’t necessarily with Christians, I personally know a few very warm caring loving Christians. My problem is with disbelief during my recent episode, that Christianity/bible/God as a belief system is no longer logical for me. It seems most people are in agreement that having a hypomanic episode indulging in sexual fantasies and acting out on them is a sin. That’s what I’m struggling with, but that was my question, so they are probably right! As it is in alignment with the scriptures. I just no longer believe that Christianity is rational/logical for me personally. I wish the bible mentioned mental illness instead it mentions (supernatural entities) which we now know is not the case!

Reactions: Muireach
Upvote 0

lightmyway82

Jun 22, 2016
Australia
✟15,267.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Sex in the mind is not sex in the flesh between people.
Is it? (honest question).

I agree sex in the mind is not the same as the flesh. But when you have a manic high you do things out of character that includes acting out sexually. I just read a scripture online that there is no excuse for so called “sin”. I think my question has been answered now.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree sex in the mind is not the same as the flesh. But when you have a manic high you do things out of character that includes acting out sexually. I just read a scripture online that there is no excuse for so called “sin”. I think my question has been answered now.
There is a Pardon in Christ though.
You seem to be looking for a reason to denounce (what's left of) your faith.
But that's just my impression..

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If someone is having a hypersexual episode, has an extremely high libido and seeks casual sexual activities due to a chemical imbalance of the brain. Is that a sin?

Why is no one responsible for anything anymore? I guess that all started with Adam and Eve. . .

It's more helpful to look at Sin than it is to look at sins. Mankind has a major problem (Sin) which leads to many minor problems (sins). Sins are the fruit of Sin, and they come in all shapes a sizes. There are many ways in which they are expressed.

We are all responsible for our actions. Blaming the Devil or a "chemical imbalance" won't get you off of the hook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lightmyway82

Jun 22, 2016
Australia
✟15,267.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
1 corinthians 10:13 mentions God will not allow you to be tempted more than you can handle. I cannot relate to this at all during what I went through recently. I struggle to accept that I should apologise for something I had no control over which was allowed to happen in the first place. But also during this hypomania episode it has changed my belief system. I struggle to believe anything spiritual now…The brain is very complex and can trick us to believe we are having a spiritual experience of any sort.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,132,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your personal story about your mother being Schizophrenic/Bi-polar Depressive, and some christian attidudes towards mental illness. I can relate to that. I wish I had time to reply to the other posts right now. I want to make it clear my problem isn’t necessarily with Christians, I personally know a few very warm caring loving Christians. My problem is with disbelief during my recent episode, that Christianity/bible/God as a belief system is no longer logical for me. It seems most people are in agreement that having a hypomanic episode indulging in sexual fantasies and acting out on them is a sin. That’s what I’m struggling with, but that was my question, so they are probably right! As it is in alignment with the scriptures. I just no longer believe that Christianity is rational/logical for me personally. I wish the bible mentioned mental illness instead it mentions (supernatural entities) which we now know is not the case!

So, I guess the question now is: Does becoming a 'Christian' mean one will never sin again or experience any sort of ineluctable temptations?

By the way, may I ask the following: Does your sin involve any kind of interaction with technology? (I ask this because I think we need to remember that we live in a world that is 'sold' to sin and its machinations are designed to grasp and capture us, if possible. All this aspect of 'sin' is in addition to our own personal proclivities and/or emotional dysfunctions. It's not 'all' our fault, and Jesus/God knows that.) :purple:

2PhiloVoid

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Casual sex is never a good thing, but mental illness certainly reduces the guilt and responsibility. Don't use religion, or lack thereof, to justify your sin... that would be truly wicked. Just admit you are a sinner and trust in God's mercy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
If someone is having a hypersexual episode, has an extremely high libido and seeks casual sexual activities due to a chemical imbalance of the brain. Is that a sin?

What you're really asking, it seems to me, is how responsible are you for your actions before God? If your behaviour can be pathologized, is it then exempt from God's condemnation? Does a formal diagnosis by a psychiatrist and a profound lack of self-control on your part relieve you of personal responsibility for what you do? No, I don't think so. The World is working very hard to escape personal responsibility and, in fact, this is how some psychiatrists have described mental illness. But God doesn't play along with our games, however obliged to do so we think He is.

If there is anything Scripture makes clear, it is that we are weak, sin-bound creatures. One of the fundamental messages of the Bible is that people need their Maker in order to be the people He commands them to be. But when we by faith in Christ are indwelt by the Spirit of the Living God, we have all we need to be the people God calls us to be. This is why we read in Scripture:

2 Timothy 1:7
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
23 gentleness, self-control...

1 Timothy 1:2
2 ...Grace, mercy, and peace from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Philippians 4:13
13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Those who are truly children of God have no excuse - excepting serious injury and legitimate disease - for living in a manner that pleases and honors their Heavenly Father.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Mudinyeri

May 4, 2016
Nebraska
✟11,923.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'll be the first to admit that I don't fully understand mental illness. With that said, we still hold people accountable for their actions, legally, whether or not they are mentally ill. The verdict may change. The sentencing may change. But, we still hold them accountable.

The great news is that there is forgiveness of sin through Christ. Even if humans are unforgiving, Jesus is. We all have sins that easily beset us - mental illness or not. We are all subject to temptation and we all succumb at one point or another. To suggest that one is somehow less deserving of forgiveness because of a mental or emotional condition does not seem in keeping with scripture.

Finally, @lightmyway82 , I would suggest that you not judge all Christians - and Christianity as a whole - by the actions of a few (or even many). Would you do the same thing to the people of a particular race?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Quid est Veritas?

In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Would just like to point out that the 'chemical imbalance' theory of bipolar mood disorder and major depressive disorder has never been proven. It is based solely on the fact that antidepressants seem to work and it is assumed this is due to neurotransmitter modulation, but as Irving Kitch amongst others have demonstrated, this might not be the case at all.
So the jury is still out on what causes Bipolar mood disorder and depression. Psychiatry likes to tell patients this theory because it is easier to understand than the others and most assume will one day be supported, but at the moment it has precious little corroboration.

Secondly, a Manic episode only decreases someone's inhibitions, not leave them unaccountable for their actions. They can still reason what the effects of their actions may be and know the consequences and importantly, can still resist their impulses, although they tend to be less inclined to do so. This is why Manic episodes usually result in legal effects like promiscuity or spending sprees and less seldom in murder. If they had no impulse control at all, than a lot more murders for instance would have been committed. It is a base fallacy that someone in a manic state is unaccountable for their actions. This is markedly different from a Psychotic episode where there is distinct disruption of reality (for instance where someone believes green monkeys live in their head). The former would not allow someone out of a contract or be a valid legal defence, the latter would do so and be one.

Therefore if someone commits a sin in a manic state, they have wilfully sinned - even though they were disinhibited; it would be similar to someone under the influence of alcohol for instance.

Reactions: Athanasius88
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus said.. if you were blind you would have no sin. You say you see your sin remains. To ask the question you see. To think it..matters not if what we are thinking is real..if it involves what you say.. yes. So lay hands on the sick and they will recover as in in Jesus name heal any chemical imbalance there is.. IN Jesus name..

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Lightmyway:

I'm bipolar and I've been in such a situation, so here is my two cents worth. I realize that others will disagree.

Yes, it is sin. It is objectively sin. Sex is powerful, and is therefore to be protected within a male/female marriage. Anything outside that, whether it is fornication, adultery, masturbation, gay sex, etc., is objectively sin.

Your question revolves around RESPONSIBILITY. Whether a mental illness resolves us of responsibility. It's a very,very good question, and I'm sorry so many people have not grasped it's importance. For some, they just don't GET IT that a manic state can cause you to do things that you would never otherwise do, and which you greatly regret when you return to sanity, whether its promiscuity, unrestrained buying sprees, foolish business investments, or getting into public fights. They don't know the heartache, guilt, and shame that mania brings when you come back down to reality again. For others, they don't have a concept that consent of will plays a role in responsibility.

I am a Christian. More specifically I am a Catholic, and the Catholic Church has been mulling this question over for 2000 years now and has some good ideas to share about it, even if you aren't Catholic.

First, we know from Scripture that there are two kinds of sin: there is a sin not unto death (aka a venial sin) and a sin unto death (a mortal sin) -- 1 John 5:16. Think of a mortal sin as a sin which seriously cuts off your relationship with God, which compromises your salvation. IOW, the "death" is eternal death. We're not talking about stealing a piece of pizza here. What makes a sin a mortal sin? The Catholic Church has, after hundreds of years of thought and the guidance of the Holy Spirit, come up with the following criteria, which I would like to suggest to you:
  1. It has to be an objectively grave matter. That means the sin has to be something serious to start with.
  2. The sinner must fully understand that it is a sin.
  3. The sinner must fully consent to sin.

In the case of someone in a manic state being promiscuous, there is not full consent to sin. The biochemical nature of the illness mitigates the responsibility. Thus the sin is venial, not mortal.

Which is Catholic-ese for saying, Yes, it IS a sin, but you are not going to lose your salvation over it. You do still need to repent of it, and return to the Lord.

And that Lord is a Lord of Love and grace and mercy. He didn't die on the cross for a bunch of perfect people, but for all of us messed up ones. He lived here among us. He understands.

If you are bipolar or schizoaffective, and want to talk to me about this personally, send me a PM.

Last edited:
Reactions: lightmyway82
Upvote 0

Sola1517

Saint-in-Progress (Looking for a Church)
Jun 27, 2016
Don't ask
✟20,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One can have desire for evil without applying themselves toward it.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The brain produces hormones like oxytocin that they call the love hormone. This is very close to opium based drugs like oxycontin or percocet and they use the same receptors. Jesus said: "But I say, anyone who even looks at a woman with lust has already committed adultery with her in his heart." So if people go to a beach or if they are looking at filth on the internet then they may stimulate hormones and already be in sin. Job said: "I made a covenant with my eyes not to look lustfully at a young woman." Job 31:1 It is believed we should save ourselves for marriage and not stray after we are married. Because this dedicates our hormones to build strong family bonds. Science does studies on prairie voles monogamy. This indicates that humans are more suited to monogamy. This takes us into a conversation as to what this means to live a spiritual life as a born again Christian compared to living the life of an infidel in the flesh. I would tend to suggest that we need to control our eyes and control ourselves from getting stimulated if we are single and want to live celibate lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Widlast

Feb 11, 2016
Eastern USA
✟35,523.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Two myths in one question, pretty good.

There is no such thing as a "hypersexual episode", just a poor excuse for no self control.
Chemical imbalances in the brain cause comas, not randiness.

Casual sex is sin. You may excuse the behavior in any way you wish, God won't.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
God is always willing to forgive. There is not some finite storage of grace and mercy that God saves up only for the few. True Christianity is not "sin-management", it is not a legalistic moralism. If it were within our power to just stop sinning, there would be no need for Christ's to be our atoning sacrifice for sin. So there is no need to allow your sin to separate you from God.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheNewBlack
Upvote 0

Cis.jd

Dec 3, 2015
New York, NY
✟140,465.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Sin is anything that is destructive/corruptive to the person. Even if you don't believe in God or this sin stuff, you can't deny that science claims this as unhealthy and dangerous.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
ADMIN HAT ON

Another thread clean in Exploring Christianity. Some of you are regulars here, so you know the rules. Only reply to the Original Poster. Btw, the OP hasn't even been online since Sunday, and there was a page and a half after his last post. Not any more.

Please follow the SoP.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0

lightmyway82

Jun 22, 2016
Australia
✟15,267.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Apologies…I’m new to this forum, so didn’t know where to place my thread. Maybe a mod could please place it somewhere appropriate? I would like to read other views..debates on this subject… Though I’m pretty certain my question has been answered. That acting out during hypomania is sinful. Before I had this episode I believed I was a born again Christian for many years, but now agnostic. I now feel within myself that my old belief in religion and spirituality was not rational or logical. I am therefore doubting the existence of God.

Upvote 0