TheNewBlack

Apr 11, 2016
USA
✟8,077.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Ok, I get what your saying, because I have a brother who is bipolar and he has no control over what he does in an episode. You can't hold him responsible, he doesn't even remember what he did. The court does not hold people responsible for crimes when they are deemed insane, which is what this is. But whether God does or not, Christ has already paid the price for your sins, you are already pronounced innocent and set free from your guilt. Try to control your behavior, of course, but if you cant, just pray and know that you are already forgiven. God understands and is a just God.

Reactions: lightmyway82
Upvote 0

TheNewBlack

Apr 11, 2016
USA
✟8,077.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Now, one other thing:
I totally understand where you're come from, because I have two disorders that impair my impulse control. I'm still rational but I do not think about things at all before I do them. I made a lot of stupid decisions. Since then, I've learned to take some preventative action by not going anywhere or getting in situations in which I might act on an impulse. So far it's worked, but I know it's not exactly the same as mania or psychosis. I know God's already forgiven me for that, and I'm doing my best, which is what matters.
Now, in Leviticus, you will find that the law of Moses required people to offer sacrifices to atone for accidental sin. Which implies that even if you were not responsible for the sin, you still need to repent. But, Christ is our final sacrifice for sin.

Upvote 0

TheNewBlack

Apr 11, 2016
USA
✟8,077.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It's kind of like if you accidentally said something that offended somebody. You might not have MEANT to hurt their feelings, and maybe they misunderstood what you meant, but would you apologize? You probably should say sorry, even if it was an unintentional offense.

Upvote 0

TheNewBlack

Apr 11, 2016
USA
✟8,077.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I have another one for you, from St Paul:
"
14We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin.15I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.c For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

21So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. 22For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; 23but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. 24What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? 25Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful natured a slave to the law of sin."
Romans 7

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Apologies…I’m new to this forum, so didn’t know where to place my thread. Maybe a mod could please place it somewhere appropriate? I would like to read other views..debates on this subject… Though I’m pretty certain my question has been answered. That acting out during hypomania is sinful. Before I had this episode I believed I was a born again Christian for many years, but now agnostic. I now feel within myself that my old belief in religion and spirituality was not rational or logical. I am therefore doubting the existence of God.
My belief in God has wavered because of my suffering due to my bipolar disorder. However, I've learned that most of it is my changing moods. I cannot allow my illness to dictate to me what I believe and what I don't. I need to carefully decided and stick to it unwaveringly despite my moods. Would you like to discuss what led you to doubt?

Upvote 0

BornAgainChristian1

Mar 29, 2016
South Eastern Pa.
✟19,130.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Thank you for your personal story about your mother being Schizophrenic/Bi-polar Depressive, and some christian attidudes towards mental illness. I can relate to that. I wish I had time to reply to the other posts right now. I want to make it clear my problem isn’t necessarily with Christians, I personally know a few very warm caring loving Christians. My problem is with disbelief during my recent episode, that Christianity/bible/God as a belief system is no longer logical for me. It seems most people are in agreement that having a hypomanic episode indulging in sexual fantasies and acting out on them is a sin. That’s what I’m struggling with, but that was my question, so they are probably right! As it is in alignment with the scriptures. I just no longer believe that Christianity is rational/logical for me personally. I wish the bible mentioned mental illness instead it mentions (supernatural entities) which we now know is not the case!
So you claim you're no longer a Christian and you're attempting to justify your sin? Correct me if I'm wrong? If you're not a Christian you are then under the law.

Romans 2:12 - 15
12 For as many as have sinned without the Law, shall perish also without the Law: and as many as have sinned in the Law, shall be judged by the Law,
13 (For the hearers of the Law are not righteous before God: but the doers of the Law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles which have not the Law, do by nature the things contained in the Law, they having not the Law, are a Law unto themselves,
15 Which show the effect of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness and their thoughts accusing one another, or excusing.)
16 At the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my Gospel.

Jeremiah 17:1
The frowardness of the Jews. 5 Cursed be those that put their confidence in man. 9 Man’s heart is wicked. 10 God is the searcher of the heart. 13 The living waters are forsaken. 21 The right keeping of the Sabbath commanded. The sin of Judah is written with a pen of iron, and with the point of a diamond, and graven upon the table of their heart, and upon the horns of your altars.

Galatians 3:
10.For as many as are of the works of the Law, are under the curse: For it is written, Cursed is every man that continueth not in all things, which are written in the book of the Law, to do them.

Mark 10:
18 Jesus said to him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, even God.
19 Thou knowest the commandments, Thou shalt not commit adultery. Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt hurt no man. Honor thy father and mother

Romans 7:25
I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. Then I myself in my mind serve the Law of God, but in my flesh the law of sin.

Romans 2:
12 All who sin apart from the law will also perish apart from the law, and all who sin under the law will be judged by the law.
13 For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God’s sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous.
14 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law.
15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.)
16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Romans 6:
12 Let not sin reign therefore in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof:
13 Neither give ye your members, as weapons of unrighteousness unto sin: but give yourselves unto God, as they that are alive from the dead, and give your members as weapons of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the Law, but under grace.
15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the Law, but under grace? God forbid.
16 Know ye not, that to whomsoever ye give yourselves as servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey, whether it be of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
17 But God be thanked, that ye have been the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart unto the form of the doctrine, whereunto ye were delivered.

Titus 3:
10 Reject him that is an heretic, after once or twice admonition,
11 Knowing that he that is such, is per'verted, and sinneth, being da/mned of his own self.

Matt 5:18 For truly I say unto you, Till heaven and earth perish, one jot or one tittle of the Law shall not escape, till all things be fulfilled.

19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall observe and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Upvote 0

lightmyway82

Jun 22, 2016
Australia
✟15,267.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
My belief in God has wavered because of my suffering due to my bipolar disorder. However, I've learned that most of it is my changing moods. I cannot allow my illness to dictate to me what I believe and what I don't. I need to carefully decided and stick to it unwaveringly despite my moods. Would you like to discuss what led you to doubt?

I’m not quite sure to be honest, it happened very fast though. I think I’m now struggling with doubt because I felt I had no power in my mind to repress these intense sexual urges. It’s very confusing as It was beyond what I could control. It wasn’t just strong sexual urges but a deep libidinous lust. I did things I would have not done otherwise... regularly went on Tinder and went on adult dating sites. I was also cussing very frequently during this episode (out of character for me) which my psychologist said is common during hypomania.

I have to be honest, I also felt no conscience or guilt towards God, as I stopped believing in religion during this time. At the start I thought I might have been under influence of demons of lust. Now before all this happened I would have been on my hands and knees crying out for forgiveness. In fact, I was repenting quite frequently during normal sexual libido for 17 years.

“TheNewBlack” written a few posts I can really relate to, maybe I should try and say sorry. But it’s hard when I don’t really believe anymore. I understand about saying sorry even if it was unintentional, I would for someone in human form. If Christ really is the son of God who died for my sin I also don’t want to take him for granted. Confused why a higher being would expect me to apologize when this disease of the brain was allowed to manifest and cause me to do things I would not normally do.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I’m not quite sure to be honest, it happened very fast though. I think I’m now struggling with doubt because I felt I had no power in my mind to repress these intense sexual urges. It’s very confusing as It was beyond what I could control. It wasn’t just strong sexual urges but a deep libidinous lust. I did things I would have not done otherwise... regularly went on Tinder and went on adult dating sites. I was also cussing very frequently during this episode (out of character for me) which my psychologist said is common during hypomania.

This all sounds very much like what Paul describes in his letter to the Ephesians of people who are not children of God:

Ephesians 2:2-3
2 in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience,
3 among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.

Lust, lack of self-control - these are common traits of people in whom the Spirit of God is not dwelling.

I have to be honest, I also felt no conscience or guilt towards God, as I stopped believing in religion during this time. At the start I thought I might have been under influence of demons of lust. Now before all this happened I would have been on my hands and knees crying out for forgiveness. In fact, I was repenting quite frequently during normal sexual libido for 17 years.

Well, as Paul notes in the passage above, those outside the family of God are living "according to the prince of the power of the air." His lies infuse the World, blinding people to God's truth and tempting them to sin.

If Christ really is the son of God who died for my sin I also don’t want to take him for granted. Confused why a higher being would expect me to apologize when this disease of the brain was allowed to manifest and cause me to do things I would not normally do.

God offers to all the power to be self-controlled, and stable, and at peace within. He sends His Spirit to live in all those who by faith trust in Christ as their Saviour and submit to him as their Lord. The Spirit is strong for us. This is what Paul was talking about in his letter to the Corinthian church:

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
9 And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

The excuse, then, that "I just couldn't help myself" isn't going to work with God. Our weakness is not an excuse to fail but an opportunity to trust God to be strong for us in those areas where we are weak.

Selah.

Upvote 0

BornAgainChristian1

Mar 29, 2016
South Eastern Pa.
✟19,130.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Confused why a higher being would expect me to apologize when this disease of the brain was allowed to manifest and cause me to do things I would not normally do.
It's exactly the outcome a one would expect looking to the world "psychologist" a witch doctor instead of seeking a biblical CHRISTIAN Pastor for counseling. Why would a "Christian" seek the secular evil worlds advise on Christian spiritual matters to begin with? Now knowing you continue to mention you stopped believing in religion is the key to your issue because you seem like you never had introduction into the Christian FAITH which is a religion but not something to fall in and out of nor is it something to take lightly. BTW you do know the APA is one of the most outspoken anti-Christian organizations in the world?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private

“TheNewBlack” written a few posts I can really relate to, maybe I should try and say sorry. But it’s hard when I don’t really believe anymore. I understand about saying sorry even if it was unintentional, I would for someone in human form. If Christ really is the son of God who died for my sin I also don’t want to take him for granted. Confused why a higher being would expect me to apologize when this disease of the brain was allowed to manifest and cause me to do things I would not normally do.

I feel bad for what you're going through. It must be tough. I want you to know that many of the hateful responses you received saying you are not a child of God or will be held accountable for sin are NOT Christian teaching.

Sin is anything contrary to God's will so fornication is definitely a sin. However, you are not culpable and will not be held accountable for that sin unless it is a free choice. If your medical condition caused you to sin without your consent then God won't hold you guilty for committing that sin.

I read a story of a mild-mannered loving pastor who took a vacation in another country and returned with an anger problem that caused him to yell and curse at people and act violently. The psychobabblers of course blamed it on mental problems and the posters on here probably would have judged and condemned him but he found out later his anger and violent behavior were caused by an infectious disease he acquired while on vacation from something he ate that effected his brain making him unable to control his anger.

That story is not just an odd case. There is evidence of so-called "mental" problems being cause by bacteria, viruses, and the immune system. A few years ago evidence was found that some cases of OCD may be caused by an immune response to a bacteria. The bacteria that causes Lyme disease is known to cause so-called "psychiatric" systems as well. People have suffered "psychiatric" symptoms in addition to physical symptoms after being exposed to mold (buildings with mold can harbor pathogenic bacteria as well since moisture promotes growth of all organisms). Prior to widespread vaccination, so-called "mental" diseases often started immediately after viral and other infections. Every "mental" and "psychiatric" symptom can be caused by something physical although in most cases the cause is unknown.

Since you said it happened quickly which makes an infectious cause more likely, I recommend you check your home for mold and moisture problems and do some research on Lyme disease.

No one here can judge whether God will hold you responsible for the sins you commit since they have no idea of the cause. Since God is just, he won't hold anyone guilty of sins committed involuntarily.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
If someone is having a hypersexual episode, has an extremely high libido and seeks casual sexual activities due to a chemical imbalance of the brain. Is that a sin?
If someone has a mental problem and steals stuff all the time, a kleptomaniac, they are still sinning. It is no different with any other sin. Lying, stealing, insulting, cutting, gossiping, being abusive...... anything. IMO of course.

Upvote 0

BornAgainChristian1

Mar 29, 2016
South Eastern Pa.
✟19,130.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I feel bad for what you're going through. It must be tough. I want you to know that many of the hateful responses you received saying you are not a child of God or will be held accountable for sin are NOT Christian teaching.

Sin is anything contrary to God's will so fornication is definitely a sin. However, you are not culpable and will not be held accountable for that sin unless it is a free choice. If your medical condition caused you to sin without your consent then God won't hold you guilty for committing that sin.

I read a story of a mild-mannered loving pastor who took a vacation in another country and returned with an anger problem that caused him to yell and curse at people and act violently. The psychobabblers of course blamed it on mental problems and the posters on here probably would have judged and condemned him but he found out later his anger and violent behavior were caused by an infectious disease he acquired while on vacation from something he ate that effected his brain making him unable to control his anger.

That story is not just an odd case. There is evidence of so-called "mental" problems being cause by bacteria, viruses, and the immune system. A few years ago evidence was found that some cases of OCD may be caused by an immune response to a bacteria. The bacteria that causes Lyme disease is known to cause so-called "psychiatric" systems as well. People have suffered "psychiatric" symptoms in addition to physical symptoms after being exposed to mold (buildings with mold can harbor pathogenic bacteria as well since moisture promotes growth of all organisms). Prior to widespread vaccination, so-called "mental" diseases often started immediately after viral and other infections. Every "mental" and "psychiatric" symptom can be caused by something physical although in most cases the cause is unknown.

Since you said it happened quickly which makes an infectious cause more likely, I recommend you check your home for mold and moisture problems and do some research on Lyme disease.

No one here can judge whether God will hold you responsible for the sins you commit since they have no idea of the cause. Since God is just, he won't hold anyone guilty of sins committed involuntarily.
Where in the bible does it even imply that "mental disease" frees anyone from the penalty of sin? The problem here is that this person knows he's sinning and you come along and condone that known sin.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It is a dangerous - and evil - thing to use exceptions to establish the rule. This is what has led to the abortion catastrophe of the last forty years or so. It has been argued recently in this thread that the very grossness of a sin ought to be the excuse for it! Apparently, the more excessive and/or inordinate the sin, the better basis for being called a "disease" it has. Stalin, then, wasn't an evil, genocidal despot; he was just ill. Hitler wasn't a vile, murdering sinner; he was merely the victim of infection or disease. Jeffrey Dahmer wasn't a vicious, serial-killing cannibal; he was just sick. Surely the abhorrent silliness of this line of reasoning is evident?! But to at least one poster it is not!

No, God won't hold those guilty who did something sinful unwittingly or against their will. But this by no means lets every evildoer off the hook for every sin he/she feels an overpowering compulsion to enact. Not every evil compulsion is a disease. Much more often than not, it is simply our wicked human nature feeling its oats. But today's trend toward ridding people of moral responsibility by formal psychiatric diagnosis cannot oblige God to follow suit. We have a divine Judge to whom we must all answer one day and He does not obey the trends of human culture. And He says to us in His word, "To him who knows to do good and does not do it, to him it is sin." (Ja. 4:17)

Selah.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lightmyway82

Jun 22, 2016
Australia
✟15,267.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Actually, Samir is showing some understanding and he is not condoning so called sin. I'm on lunch break atm so posting on my phone. But I have had blood tests done and they have ruled out physical problems and other issues. It appears the majority of posts are very naive and have a odd way of outreach with the exception of a few posters.

Reactions: TheNewBlack
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Actually, Samir is showing some understanding and he is not condoning so called sin. I'm on lunch break atm so posting on my phone. But I have had blood tests done and they have ruled out physical problems and other issues. It appears the majority of posts are very naive and have a odd way of outreach with the exception of a few posters.

Or perhaps you want a particular response and will only accept the words of those who give it to you. That's a sure way to find yourself deceived.

Selah.

Upvote 0

BornAgainChristian1

Mar 29, 2016
South Eastern Pa.
✟19,130.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But you have provided no scripture to back up your opinion. Where in scripture does God excuse a sin one knows is wrong?

Upvote 0

Netbug009

Dec 4, 2006
✟8,378.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm bipolar and deal with heightened libido during manic episodes, as well as having issues with violence when I was younger, and find your attempt to blame God for refusing to take responsibility for your actions insulting to the effort I put into my therapy and attempts at self-improvement.

Mental illness is a reason for sinful behavior, but not an excuse. When I mess up due to a bipolar episode, I apologize and try to figure out what went wrong, just like any other human being with flaws.

Chemical imbalance or no chemical imbalance helping make living a clean life more challenging, sin is sin. If sin was only something people ever did because they fully meant to, I'm skeptic as to whether Christ still would have come and died for us.

Upvote 0

lightmyway82

Jun 22, 2016
Australia
✟15,267.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I don’t know why I even come to Christian forums. There have been a few really good replies. As I mentioned before I find it difficult to apologise to a so called higher deity I longer firmly believe in, I think I’m actually glad to be liberated from the Christian Religion. I’m pretty certain in myself I believed a lie for many years in my life. And to be honest, I find the majority of Christians (not just here) to be poor examples of what they believe in – most people do which is why they can’t be taken seriously. I understand no one is perfect, but most Christians (exception of the minority who are loving, humble and gentle) are very bad advertisements for their god. It kind of in a way, but not fully, reinforces my belief in the christian religion as fairy tale. I think I’ll bow out now…

Upvote 0

samir

Dec 9, 2015
us
✟18,067.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Ok, I don’t know why I even come to Christian forums. There have been a few really good replies. As I mentioned before I find it difficult to apologise to a so called higher deity I longer firmly believe in, I think I’m actually glad to be liberated from the Christian Religion. I’m pretty certain in myself I believed a lie for many years in my life. And to be honest, I find the majority of Christians (not just here) to be poor examples of what they believe in – most people do which is why they can’t be taken seriously. I understand no one is perfect, but most Christians (exception of the minority who are loving, humble and gentle) are very bad advertisements for their god. It kind of in a way, but not fully, reinforces my belief in the christian religion as fairy tale. I think I’ll bow out now…

I can definitely relate. I stopped believing and going to church for awhile because I had health problems and there were many judgmental people there who turned me away from God. I felt liberated at first but I still felt there was something true about Christianity so after a few years I started looking at different churches. I found Catholics and Orthodox to be more loving and easier to be around than the people in the conservative Protestant churches I attended.

You seem like a good person so my advice is to follow your conscience. Taking a break from religion is probably a good idea because praying and asking forgiveness from a God you don't believe in isn't healthy. I did that before I stopped going to church and it made me anxious and depressed. If your conscience later tells you there may be a God, I recommend trying a different church next time. Catholic and Orthodox are much different than Protestant.

Upvote 0