Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,550.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Would predominantly Black neighborhoods be better, safer places if no White police ever showed up in response to anything? Would the folks in these neighborhoods ultimately be happier to have no White cops show up at all, rather than have a White cop show up who might use arguably excessive force, pull a trigger and injure or kill someone, make a wrong judgement call, or reach for his weapon?

This is a serious question. Or is the solution to have African-American men policing their own neighborhoods? Get young, bright, capable, physically fit, discerning young people from that neighborhood police it, instead of White guys from outside the community?
What if the solution was to have white guys.... WHO WEREN'T RACIST?

Geez. Why is that not a solution? Why is your response to this "Well, I guess you just don't want police then hey?"
\Why is your standard for white cops so deplorably low that you feel the options are laid out as you have put them?

As for other posters in this thread:
Exactly how blatant and obvious does racism have to be before you bestow the title of "racist" upon it? While I DO accept that there are some people who are too quick to use the word racist or islamophobic, what I don't accept is the backlash against the word usage that seems to compartmentalize racism into this tiny definition; almost like a charicature where a person or act is racist if the response to it is "Oh yeah....that's TOTALLY racist"?

The question of what is racist could be asked of individuals on both sides of this debate.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,550.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I am sorry but if I am wearing a MAGA hat, I am not "islamophobic" because a Muslim feels threatened. What you just described is not "Islomophobia." Rather, you described "conservativphobia". The fear of conservatives and bigotry against conservatives because they have a different point of view.
I agree that MAGA hats don't make you islamophobic.

It just clearly shows you support an obviously prejudice president unabashedly.

Frankly, I don't think that is any better at all.

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What if the solution was to have white guys.... WHO WEREN'T RACIST?

Geez. Why is that not a solution? Why is your response to this "Well, I guess you just don't want police then hey?"
\Why is your standard for white cops so deplorably low that you feel the options are laid out as you have put them?

Exactly how blatant and obvious does racism have to be before you bestow the title of "racist" upon it? While I DO accept that there are some people who are too quick to use the word racist or islamophobic, what I don't accept is the backlash against the word usage that seems to compartmentalize racism into this tiny definition; almost like a charicature where a person or act is racist if the response to it is "Oh yeah....that's TOTALLY racist"?

The question of what is racist could be asked of individuals on both sides of this debate.
White cops don't seem to do a great job in African-American neighborhoods. Their actions are generally decried as either excessive, violent, cruel, or heavy handed.

Would the response be, then, to have African-American cops from those neighborhoods, who better understand the people, challenges, and culture of those areas, doing the policing?

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No doubt there are some bad cops, but they are way outnumbered by the immoral, unpatriotic, lawless, disrespectful, lazy and unproductive people we have in this country. That’s the bigger problem and a shame. And, even worse, the various pandering politicians and clueless voters, and lengthy studies – all of which tend to serve those who are wanting any reason to blame others for this growing conduct. They uphold such behavior by these slackers and ill reputes as though it’s only a victim response. Of course, some police and others as well, are becoming more and more frustrated with such a situation, but the vast majority (those who want to ‘work & play well’ with others, and expect the same respect) still uphold a lawful and safe society of equal rights for all.

Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
White cops don't seem to do a great job in African-American neighborhoods. Their actions are generally decried as either excessive, violent, cruel, or heavy handed.

Would the response be, then, to have African-American cops from those neighborhoods, who better understand the people, challenges, and culture of those areas, doing the policing?
It’s not necessarily the person, but the position that has to be respected. There seems to be a big lack of understanding there. There’s just no way to control every police situation based on a race and ethnicity match-up.

If it was me, and a policeman says “stop,” then I’d stop, and for sure, I wouldn’t run.

If it was me, and a policeman signals to pull over, then I’d pull over, and I wouldn’t have my hand under the car seat, and wouldn’t leave until he said I could go.

If it was me, and a policeman says “put your hands up,” then I’d put them up, and not in my pockets.

If it was me, and regardless of the policeman’s color, my answers would be “Yes Sir” and “No Sir.”

Could I still have a bad situation? Yes, but I think this greatly reduces the possibility.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just wanted to add that this isn't "Islamophobia." It is just simple racism and bigotry against white people. If I were to have reworded this as "It's walking down the street and worrying if that crowd of black guys on the corner is going to be a problem", what would you call it? BTW...I am Hispanic and resemble a muslim but I have never once "felt threatened" in the way you have described.
you probably don’t live in NYC near a neighborhood we call little India . I don’t feel threatened by any of them and have never felt threatened by them including women in face veils and body covering clothes. We get into normal conversations sometimes. I feel targeted ( and have been targeted) if I walk into white neighborhoods sometimes . Luckily it’s just been annoying and not life threatening or led to outright abusive behavior..... so far

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It’s not necessarily the person, but the position that has to be respected. There seems to be a big lack of understanding there. There’s just no way to control every police situation based on a race and ethnicity match-up.

If it was me, and a policeman says “stop,” then I’d stop, and for sure, I wouldn’t run.

If it was me, and a policeman signals to pull over, then I’d pull over, and I wouldn’t have my hand under the car seat, and wouldn’t leave until he said I could go.

If it was me, and a policeman says “put your hands up,” then I’d put them up, and not in my pockets.

If it was me, and regardless of the policeman’s color, my answers would be “Yes Sir” and “No Sir.”

Could I still have a bad situation? Yes, but I think this greatly reduces the possibility.
. Reminds me of that situation where a cop asked a black man for his license and when he reached into the glove compartment to get it , the cop shot him .luckily he lived and he asked the cop why he shot him. It’s on video so this isn’t an exaggeration or a misunderstanding of what happened. I don’t know if I could find the video as it’s been awhile

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟368,550.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Do you have proof of that assertion? I hope for stats not anecdotal. I'm sure you can get anecdotal.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
No doubt there are some bad cops, but they are way outnumbered by the immoral, unpatriotic, lawless, disrespectful, lazy and unproductive people we have in this country. That’s the bigger problem and a shame. And, even worse, the various pandering politicians and clueless voters, and lengthy studies – all of which tend to serve those who are wanting any reason to blame others for this growing conduct. They uphold such behavior by these slackers and ill reputes as though it’s only a victim response. Of course, some police and others as well, are becoming more and more frustrated with such a situation, but the vast majority (those who want to ‘work & play well’ with others, and expect the same respect) still uphold a lawful and safe society of equal rights for all.
Police officers that are racist and join white supremacist organizations are the topic and yet someone still finds a reason to blame the people targeted by these racists.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Well let's see....

If I'm going to fire someone....basically cut them down at the knees and take away their livelihood....I'd like it to be for actual racist behavior and not just something said in jest. If they were a part of a racist hate group or expressed a belief that is potentially dangerous (again, not in jest, but perhaps something like "this racial group deserves to die"). At that point, I don't think I'd be comfortable with them as a police officer.

What's more is the standard has to be the same for everyone. If we're firing a white cop for a racial joke about blacks...well then the same should happen to a black cop making jokes about whites.

If I remember correctly, my problem with this particular study was they were considering things that weren't actually racial in any way as problematic. It seemed as if the bar for "problematic" was intentionally lowered to pad the stats and deliberately promote and justify an overtly negative view of the police.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Many police are African-American. Their actions are equally "decried as either excessive, violent, cruel, or heavy handed."

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,278.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No doubt there are some bad cops, but they are way outnumbered by the immoral, unpatriotic, lawless, disrespectful, lazy and unproductive people we have in this country.

And yet only one is the subject of this thread.

Of course, some police and others as well, are becoming more and more frustrated with such a situation

In what world is [re]posting racist messages on social media a reasonable response to people being unpatriotic and lazy?

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many police are African-American. Their actions are equally "decried as either excessive, violent, cruel, or heavy handed."
Why, then, do their excessive actions against fellow African-Americans not tend to make news?

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
you probably don’t live in NYC near a neighborhood we call little India . I don’t feel threatened by any of them and have never felt threatened by them including women in face veils and body covering clothes. We get into normal conversations sometimes. I feel targeted ( and have been targeted) if I walk into white neighborhoods sometimes . Luckily it’s just been annoying and not life threatening or led to outright abusive behavior..... so far
I went into a black neighborhood and was threatened, and told to get my white butt out. I was also assaulted by a black cop once.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I went into a black neighborhood and was threatened, and told to get my white butt out. I was also assaulted by a black cop once.
Thats ok I’ve seen at least 2 black people minding their own business being abused by white cops for no reason in separate incidents . Until I actually saw that I didn’t believe it happened and I’m black but I was raised middle class . They never used to bother middle class blacks but that’s changing . Black cops can be just as obnoxious but they’re obnoxious not a always a danger to you if you’re black

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thats ok I’ve seen at least 2 black people minding their own business being abused by white cops for no reason in separate incidents . Until I actually saw that I didn’t believe it happened and I’m black but I was raised middle class . They never used to bother middle class blacks but that’s changing . Black cops can be just as obnoxious but they’re obnoxious not a always a danger to you if you’re black

These cops in the OP seem like they want to help.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Hooray for anecdotal evidence that pales in comparison to the documented and systematic discrimination against people of color. Your one experience negates all the data that shows excessive force and misconduct are motivated by nothing else but race. Until you’ve been stopped and accosted by police 50 times in the space of a several months and never received a citation/arrest in all those interactions, then your anecdote is meaningless.

But there is a larger issue of people ensuring racism remains in the police force by deliberately ignoring it. Deliberately ignoring racism is the same thing as promoting racism; you can’t just argue, “It’s just a prank, bro!” Of course racism is a joke to the people making the jokes as they are not the target or subject of prejudiced treatment due to their skin color. To demand lower standards for our government officials is tantamount to promotion of that unconscionable behavior.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hooray for anecdotal evidence that pales in comparison to the documented and systematic discrimination against people of color. Your one experience negates all the data that shows excessive force and misconduct are motivated by nothing else but race. Until you’ve been stopped and accosted by police 50 times in the space of a several months and never received a citation/arrest in all those interactions, then your anecdote is meaningless.

But there is a larger issue of people ensuring racism remains in the police force by deliberately ignoring it. Deliberately ignoring racism is the same thing as promoting racism; you can’t just argue, “It’s just a prank, bro!” Of course racism is a joke to the people making the jokes as they are not the target or subject of prejudiced treatment due to their skin color. To demand lower standards for our government officials is tantamount to promotion of that unconscionable behavior.
Actually i was responding to the remark about walking into white neighborhoods.

Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The major problem of course is that the people that deliberately ignore racism try to reduce the bad behavior to a few, and you know what, it’s not the majority of the police. However, a majority of the police see this behavior and do nothing about it. That behavior is costing taxpayers billions and doesn’t nothing to improve police relations with the community. And we have to remember, it’s the police that ruined their relationship with the community; when you use firehoses, attack people with dogs, terrorize families, beat and abuse innocent people, you will not get people to see you as protectors.

I think that’s what makes traveling around the world so much more fascinating, I know I will never be bothered by the police unless I’ve actually done something wrong.

Upvote 0