SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Hundreds of active and former police officers are part of extremist Facebook groups
Hundreds of active and retired police officers and law enforcement personnel are congregating in private Facebook groups where they engage in open racism, Islamophobia, and even lend support to violent, anti-government groups, according to an investigation from nonprofit news organization Reveal, which is run by the US Center for Investigative Reporting.

After Reveal notified law enforcement agencies, more than 50 departments have reportedly opened internal investigations. In some cases, departments say they’ll be evaluating officers’ online activity to see if it may have influenced past policing conduct. At least one officer has been fired for violating department policies as a result of participating in these groups, some of which bear names like “White Lives Matter” and “Death to Islam Undercover.”

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Would predominantly Black neighborhoods be better, safer places if no White police ever showed up in response to anything? Would the folks in these neighborhoods ultimately be happier to have no White cops show up at all, rather than have a White cop show up who might use arguably excessive force, pull a trigger and injure or kill someone, make a wrong judgement call, or reach for his weapon?

This is a serious question. Or is the solution to have African-American men policing their own neighborhoods? Get young, bright, capable, physically fit, discerning young people from that neighborhood police it, instead of White guys from outside the community?

Upvote 0

variant

Happy Cat
Jun 14, 2005
✟295,051.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Would predominantly Black neighborhoods be better, safer places if no White police ever showed up in response to anything? Would the folks in these neighborhoods ultimately be happier to have no White cops show up at all, rather than have a White cop show up who might use arguably excessive force, pull a trigger and injure or kill someone, make a wrong judgement call, or reach for his weapon?

It would be best if the people who showed up could be counted on to properly value the people there as human beings and honor their commitment to their sworn oath to "protect and serve".

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many police are African-American, of course.
Right. True. But if a crime is committed or allegedly committed by an African-American, would it be more appropriate for an African-American cop to show up?

Upvote 0

anna ~ grace

Site Supporter
May 9, 2010
✟108,146.93
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They do, unless im mistaken.
Sounds like a lot of controversial, violent, questionable, difficult cases erupt in instances where White police respond to calls of African-Americans being accused of disruptive or illegal behavior.

The overall cry seems to be that White police often use excessive force, behave unjustly, behave disrespectfully towards, or assault accused African-Americans. Would Black police showing up and handling the same cases reduce instances of police abuse?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

inquiring mind

and a discerning heart
Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2016
U.S.
✟675,164.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Right. True. But if a crime is committed or allegedly committed by an African-American, would it be more appropriate for an African-American cop to show up?

From what I've seen on the live cops shows and I don't think it makes any difference.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
NYC has a civilian complain review board on the on their website. You’d be surprised to see how many white people call up complaining about cops abusing blacks or Hispanics

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, when people are being called "racist" and "islamophobic" for no other reason than having a conservative point of view or supporting the President, what does "racist" and "islamophobic" even mean anymore? Second, have these groups been banned? If not, why? I guess the point that I am making is that conservatives have been accused of far worse for far less reasons. As a result, it is very difficult as a conservative to not be skeptical when accusations of racism and islamophobia are made. I am not saying that the article is not valid. Just that it has become almost impossible to discern what is actually a case of racism and what is just a groundless accusation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
First, when people are being called "racist" and "islamophobic" for no other reason than having a conservative point of view or supporting the President, what does "racist" and "islamophobic" even mean anymore? Second, have these groups been banned? If not, why? I guess the point that I am making is that conservatives have been accused of far worse for far less reasons. As a result, it is very difficult as a conservative to not be skeptical when accusations of racism and islamophobia are made. I am not saying that the article is not valid. Just that it has become almost impossible to discern what is actually a case of racism and what is just a groundless accusation.
really? I’ll you tell what islamophobia is like if you’re NOT Muslim. It’s worrying that someone is going to harm a friend, coworker , acquaintance, neighbor, or family member just because they look sorta middle eastern . It’s worrying that you’ll be targeted because you’re a light skinned black person or Hispanic without African features and you wear a long conservative dress in the wintertime. It’s walking down the street and worrying if that crowd of white guys on the corner is gonna be a problem. I’m not Muslim but being targeted that way is terrifying! I see Conservatives encourage this sick behavior and I’m going to stay proudly liberal just over that ( and other stuff)

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I’ll you tell what islamophobia is like if you’re NOT Muslim.

It’s walking down the street and worrying if that crowd of white guys on the corner is gonna be a problem.

I see Conservatives encourage this sick behavior and I’m going to stay proudly liberal just over that ( and other stuff)
No conservative i talk to encourages that. No white guys either. Your assertion is like blaming black gang activity on all blacks. Talk about phobia.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
really? I’ll you tell what islamophobia is like if you’re NOT Muslim. It’s worrying that someone is going to harm a friend, coworker , acquaintance, neighbor, or family member just because they look sorta middle eastern . It’s worrying that you’ll be targeted because you’re a light skinned black person or Hispanic without African features and you wear a long conservative dress in the wintertime. It’s walking down the street and worrying if that crowd of white guys on the corner is gonna be a problem. I’m not Muslim but being targeted that way is terrifying! I see Conservatives encourage this sick behavior and I’m going to stay proudly liberal just over that ( and other stuff)
I am sorry but if I am wearing a MAGA hat, I am not "islamophobic" because a Muslim feels threatened. What you just described is not "Islomophobia." Rather, you described "conservativphobia". The fear of conservatives and bigotry against conservatives because they have a different point of view.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Fascinating! The first person to bring up Conservatives was YOU. No other person had said or mentioned anything about Conservatives, yet for some reason you thought the subject was about Conservatives.

Upvote 0