Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So if people disagree with you, and discuss that disagreement in a discussion forum, then they are worshiping other gods. That's obviously ridiculous.
Obviously you're one who's deeply hurt and angry. Sorry about your gods.

• Agree
Reactions: Jamesone5
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What I would not do is insult the memory of a great Christian American leader by celebrating the manner of his death on a holiday designated to commemorate the good he did for our nation.

I didn't see anyone in Richmond celebrating assassinations of any sort. Maybe you can provide some evidence?

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Obviously you're one who's deeply hurt and angry. Sorry about your gods.

No idea what you're talking about. It looks like attempts to insult - don't let me stop you. Please continue.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I Thess. 5:22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

I Cor. 8
9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak.
10 For if someone with a weak conscience sees you who are well informed eating in an idol’s temple, will he not be encouraged to eat food sacrificed to idols?
11 So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge.
12 By sinning against your brothers in this way and wounding their weak conscience, you sin against Christ.
13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to stumble, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to stumble.
Kudos for at least making an attempt. This would be applicable if a brother got saved and thought gun rallies were sinful. But even then, I could still go, but just not tell him.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
People who get abortions obey the law too. Is that the basis of your argument? Pathetic.
Let me be more specific. Where in scripture is this forbidden?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Trigger locks--you going to tell an intruder to "wait until I get my trigger lock off"? Or maybe "wait until I load my gun"

The solution is to carry your gun with you, on your person in a manner inaccessible to children.

That way it's ready for use if needed, but they can't access it.

Reactions: paul1149
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That right is recognized by the constitution, not created by it. That right by definition does not change. I find it amusing that folks that say our constitution needs to change are from the same places that are sliding into totalitarianism. That’s not a coincidence.
First, you are evading my point: the contents our your Constitution cannot be assumed to be inerrant, eternal truth. And the world of today is very different from the world of 200 years ago.

Second, I am from Canada - I assure you that with Mr. Trump in the White House, you are in no position to lecture me about totalitarianism.

• Haha
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Nothing says "I love you!" like buying a gun in case you want to shoot that person! LOL

When my girlfriend (now wife) and I had been together a few years, I bought her a gun and gave it to her. I had loaned her one of mine earlier, after teaching her how to use it.

That was 34 years ago. She still has it, and carries it every day (legally).
We are very happily married, and haven't shot each other yet, oddly...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And my 6 kids have all known what to do with a gun as well. But then you say "old enough"--how about when they were 2 or 3 or even 4 and very curious? Why do you think they sell gun safes---just for looks or for the guns people do not use at the moment? Trigger locks--you going to tell an intruder to "wait until I get my trigger lock off"? Or maybe "wait until I load my gun"
Irrelevant. I have nothing against gun safes. I just don't use one. We generally kept them unloaded back then.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,078.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If I did, it was unintentional. I was just going by what you posted. If you don’t think guns are the problem, then I apologize.
I appreciate the tone of your post. I basically do think guns are the problem. And I criticized the argument that guns cannot be the major component of the problem because they are inanimate. That is patently absurd argument (someone else, not you, advanced tgat argument).

I objected to what I understood to be your claim that if these views (above) are correct, then it follows that there should have been an incident at the rally. But I do not see how this follows.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I appreciate the tone of your post. I basically do think guns are the problem. And I criticized the argument that guns cannot be the major component of the problem because they are inanimate. That is patently absurd argument (someone else, not you, advanced tgat argument).

I objected to what I understood to be your claim that if these views (above) are correct, then it follows that there should have been an incident at the rally. But I do not see how this follows.
I don’t see how you don’t see. If guns are the problem, and there were thousands of guns, why were there no incidents?

• Agree
Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Kudos for at least making an attempt. This would be applicable if a brother got saved and thought gun rallies were sinful. But even then, I could still go, but just not tell him.
Actually, that's not how it works, but that's one way to rationalize sinning when you really, really want to do it.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me be more specific. Where in scripture is this forbidden?
Where is it forbidden to be a stumbling block and to avoid appearance of evil? The scripture I provided addressed that.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
No idea what you're talking about. It looks like attempts to insult - don't let me stop you. Please continue.
"Looks like"... Of course that's all you can say, it looks like, it seems like... you don't actually want to read and understand. You want to accuse me of insulting yet you can't actually demonstrate from my words that I'm trying to insult you. When you get a handle on language let's talk.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When my girlfriend (now wife) and I had been together a few years, I bought her a gun and gave it to her. I had loaned her one of mine earlier, after teaching her how to use it.

That was 34 years ago. She still has it, and carries it every day (legally).
We are very happily married, and haven't shot each other yet, oddly...
How many people has she shot with it?

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I didn't see anyone in Richmond celebrating assassinations of any sort. Maybe you can provide some evidence?
The whole rally was a celebration of guns on the day officially deisgnated by the Federal Government to honor a Christian Black American Pastor that was killed by a gun. What part of that doesn't get through to you? Either you're being obtuse or you just want to stick by your irrational viewpoint no matter what.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Actually, that's not how it works, but that's one way to rationalize sinning when you really, really want to do it.
Well, explain how it works. Explain how someone whose conscience isn’t bothered by eating meat sacrificed to idols could never again eat meat. Because my understanding is that they could, just not around someone who might have an issue with it. So don’t just tell me that’s not how it works, as if that’s a rebuttal. Please, explain.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.