London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Criminals have ways to get guns, regardless of laws, obviously. This is elementary.
And you know little about guns. They don't eat anything. Clean them when needed and practice sometimes. It's not hard. It's mostly common sense. You have about 500 accidental gun deaths in a year in a country of three million people. Compare that to 40 thousand who died in vehicle accidents.
More people die from simply slipping and falling, or drowning in swimming pools. If you really care about accidental deaths, you should be lobbying to eliminate motor vehicles and machinery.
Or swimming in ponds lakes and streams, which kills well over a thousand people a year.
If we try to eliminate anything that " idiots" can die from, we are all going to be wrapped in protective clothing and never leaving our houses.
And whatever you do, don't give that kid a bath, he's much more likely to die from drowning in the tub then from an accidental gun shot.

You are right, there are other issues that need addressing as well as gun control.
What is a concern is one death of an individual is one too many if it could be easily prevented.
As far a vehicle deaths I can choose that risk. I cannot choose the risk of others carrying guns if everybody is allowed such guns without restriction. With our knowledge of responsibility and sensible licensing of lethal weapons, to fight against such a thing appears immoral.

I will put this into a real perspective of trust that physio therapists have to work under in the UK. One complaint, true or false can cause them to be struck off. It is because they are put in a place one to one with patients and they must have total trust. They write up everything in detail about every contact with patients covering any potential false accusation. And this is just the possibility of inappropriate behaviour.

Carrying a gun should equally have such a similar standard, because inappropriate use results in potential death. We live in an age where the chance of making it to 80+ years of age is very good. Safe guarding that reality from everyone should be an objective, especially with regard to firearms.

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God has allowed this situation to occur. I do not want this man dead, but resting in the arms of Christ.---LightLoveHope

Why are you so fearful? Because other have suggested you should be and you have taken the bait? The chance of someone putting a gun to you face of that--- is tiny unless people put themselves in danger. In a city, do you often go to areas where you are not advised to go and wear a sign that tells others "rob me, rob me"?

And it seem as if you DO want that man dead and immediately resting in the arms of Christ. So you contradict yourself.

Might add Peace to your screen name as that is what you are really seeking as in:

John 14:27
Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

I am not fearful at all, rather I rest in Christ which is why I am not seeking to be armed.
Being in the arms of Christ is coming to Christ in faith, not dying.

Equally if facing someone pointing a gun at me is so remote, why would I ever need a gun?
Dis-functional pride seems to drive guys to want to be armed when arming only makes them a real threat to others. And the real discussion is not about self defence but about making armed guys like everyone else, normal people who just want to relate and go about there everyday work at peace with others.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not fearful at all, rather I rest in Christ which is why I am not seeking to be armed.
Being in the arms of Christ is coming to Christ in faith, not dying.

Equally if facing someone pointing a gun at me is so remote, why would I ever need a gun?
Dis-functional pride seems to drive guys to want to be armed when arming only makes them a real threat to others. And the real discussion is not about self defence but about making armed guys like everyone else, normal people who just want to relate and go about there everyday work at peace with others.
I guess from a couple of your posts and what you said in them, I got the idea that you were a pro-gun advocate.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I even took out my own words on that post and asked for forgiveness for assuming. Time for me to take leave of this thread

Last edited:
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Go on with making up your own dialog and NOT realizing that verse might be about you.

So now I have to check with you on what I am feeling?

These conversations has gone from strange to outright funny at times. Hard to be angry at someone when you are laughing.

Even Solomon in all his wisdom told us there was a time to laugh

Ecclesiastes 3:4
A time to weep, And a time to laugh; A time to mourn, And a time to dance;
Oh, I find some of the comments very funny.
Some are sadly misinformed, though.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are right, there are other issues that need addressing as well as gun control.
What is a concern is one death of an individual is one too many if it could be easily prevented.
As far a vehicle deaths I can choose that risk. I cannot choose the risk of others carrying guns if everybody is allowed such guns without restriction.
They aren't. But criminals don't care what they are allowed and what they aren't allowed, obviously. I'm glad I don't have to live in your country where everyone is micromanaged. We prefer freedom to government control of every facet of our lives. I can walk out my door with a gun on every day if I wish. But it's not unregulated. I get the impression that people in other countries think that we are the wild West and everyone is looking over their shoulder all the time, waiting to be shot. That's not the reality. Maybe in downtown Chicago where we can not legally carry a gun, but the gangs still have plenty...

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is an interesting testimony. This gun has been totally pointless, and has been no use whatsoever.
It has carried a real risk of doing harm wherever it has gone, and if used, the user probably has forgotten how to operate it. My daughter was on an army shooting range and got the sites mixed up and shot over the targets by mistake. Unless you remember what to do, no matter how simple, it is just dangerous.
If you carry a gun, for it to have meaning, you have to be able to use it correctly, instantly, with lethal force or it is just a literal liability.

To have a gun, even with the possibility of inappropriate use, again should not even be a question.

Every year kids accidentally come across guns and shoot people and themselves. And these guns otherwise do nothing but sit in draws. Insane.

Like the poster in post #351, you presume a great deal about my life and my wife's life, when in fact, you have no such knowledge.

You have no idea of how much training and gun experience we have, if any;

You have no idea how often we practice shooting and other gun skills, if ever;

You have no idea how much we do or do not understand "liability";

I could go on and on, but here are the facts:

I learned to shoot at age 5. Granted, I wasn't very good at it, but I learned the safety rules well.
That's the most important part. There are 4 main rules; do you have any idea what they are?
Probably not. You would probably never want to touch a gun, even if you could.

I grew up in a family that owned several guns. One of my brothers became a gunsmith.
Safety was always first and foremost. Legal responsibility came next.
My mom had lived alone in the 1940s with 3 small children to take care of. Several times the gun she carried made the difference between being a victim or avoiding trouble.
She didn't have to shoot anyone, but she was ready, willing, and able, had it been necessary.

We live in a rural area, on several acres. Any time we want to shoot, we simply grab a gun and a target, walk down the hill, and do it. In the "Firearms" section of CF, I have photos of the target stand I made for that purpose. We practice about once a month, and it helps keep our motor skills sharp. Like many other motor skills, once you have attained a certain level of mastery, keeping the skills is relatively easy. Guns are much easier to use safely than cars are.

My wife is a lawyer, and works for a Christian law firm. Lawyers understand liability backwards and forwards; it's what they deal with. She has a very clear understanding of the legal responsibilities involved, and she makes sure I do also. We raised our two children without any gun-related accidents or problems, simply by using common sense, planning, and being vigilant.
I taught them safe gun handling and shooting skills before they were teenagers. So far, they haven't shown much interest, but they haven't been kicked around by the world either - yet.

As I explained to the earlier poster, the fact that a gun hasn't been fired at a criminal doesn't mean that it is, or has been, useless. It's insurance. Like all insurance, you hope to never "use" it, but it's there if the need arises. My response to him included the following:

"Worthless junk"? Do you buy insurance? Do you crash your car or burn your house to "use" it?
That's what a personal-defense gun is: insurance, hopefully never needed.

I don't expect any of this to change your mind, but others may benefit from it.

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
They aren't. But criminals don't care what they are allowed and what they aren't allowed, obviously. I'm glad I don't have to live in your country where everyone is micromanaged. We prefer freedom to government control of every facet of our lives. I can walk out my door with a gun on every day if I wish. But it's not unregulated. I get the impression that people in other countries think that we are the wild West and everyone is looking over their shoulder all the time, waiting to be shot. That's not the reality. Maybe in downtown Chicago where we can not legally carry a gun, but the gangs still have plenty...

You make a good point, USA is a vast country, and different states, cities have different issues, even some states are regulating guns while others are not.

What I appreciate is the ability to express concern. And micromanagement is a miss-understanding of what regulation actually is. It means major businesses are restricted and when they get things wrong they can be taken to court. And this actually works, because as citizens we do not have the time or money to do such things, but government can on our behalf.

The real problem is propoganda in the modern world spreads the idea of unnecessary laws, when in reality laws get made because someone got it wrong. And with technology taking more and more control we need better protection of the average person over this vast global companies, before we find we are becoming the victims of our own lack of understanding.

So as far as guns are concerned I would hope a nutcase cannot go into a shop buy 6 high powered guns with ammunition and go a flatten a mall full of people. Because sadly this appears exactly what is available to anyone who gets this crazy notion. Odd, when people have actually done exactly that, you would think someone might go, lets stop this. But that is the gun lobby for you and we need to have the right to behave like this, those who die are just cannon fodder for our rights.....

Upvote 0

LightLoveHope

Jesus leads us to life
Oct 6, 2018
London
✟79,782.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Like the poster in post #351, you presume a great deal about my life and my wife's life, when in fact, you have no such knowledge.

You have no idea of how much training and gun experience we have, if any;

You have no idea how often we practice shooting and other gun skills, if ever;

You have no idea how much we do or do not understand "liability";

I could go on and on, but here are the facts:

I learned to shoot at age 5. Granted, I wasn't very good at it, but I learned the safety rules well.
That's the most important part. There are 4 main rules; do you have any idea what they are?
Probably not. You would probably never want to touch a gun, even if you could.

I grew up in a family that owned several guns. One of my brothers became a gunsmith.
Safety was always first and foremost. Legal responsibility came next.
My mom had lived alone in the 1940s with 3 small children to take care of. Several times the gun she carried made the difference between being a victim or avoiding trouble.
She didn't have to shoot anyone, but she was ready, willing, and able, had it been necessary.

We live in a rural area, on several acres. Any time we want to shoot, we simply grab a gun and a target, walk down the hill, and do it. In the "Firearms" section of CF, I have photos of the target stand I made for that purpose. We practice about once a month, and it helps keep our motor skills sharp. Like many other motor skills, once you have attained a certain level of mastery, keeping the skills is relatively easy. Guns are much easier to use safely than cars are.

My wife is a lawyer, and works for a Christian law firm. Lawyers understand liability backwards and forwards; it's what they deal with. She has a very clear understanding of the legal responsibilities involved, and she makes sure I do also. We raised our two children without any gun-related accidents or problems, simply by using common sense, planning, and being vigilant.
I taught them safe gun handling and shooting skills before they were teenagers. So far, they haven't shown much interest, but they haven't been kicked around by the world either - yet.

As I explained to the earlier poster, the fact that a gun hasn't been fired at a criminal doesn't mean that it is, or has been, useless. It's insurance. Like all insurance, you hope to never "use" it, but it's there if the need arises. My response to him included the following:

"Worthless junk"? Do you buy insurance? Do you crash your car or burn your house to "use" it?
That's what a personal-defense gun is: insurance, hopefully never needed.

I don't expect any of this to change your mind, but others may benefit from it.

I think you have proven my point. It is a hobby you have, without someone else checking or making sure you are responsible. You assume others are as responsible as yourself and as careful.

Why should you assume this when you know the prisons are full of people with little responsibility and a great deal of risk taking? The reason for regulations is to stop these people getting access to guns as is reasonable. Somehow you seem to want to wash your hands of helping these people to be reasonable and not defend the rights of innocent victims of their actions.

Why is it in the army if you lose your weapon that is a serious offence, yet in civilian life, there is no come back? Because the army know guns kill, and an efficient soldier is one who looks after his weapon.

If you ever became a victim of gun violence, how would you feel if a simple restriction of how to get the gun would have stopped the incident? It is this realisation when it happens to people, that shakes up people out of the dream of I am ok, it does not matter, into, a small change makes a massive impact.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you ever became a victim of gun violence, how would you feel if a simple restriction of how to get the gun would have stopped the incident? It is this realisation when it happens to people, that shakes up people out of the dream of I am ok, it does not matter, into, a small change makes a massive impact.

Sometimes people are victims of the laws you promote, laws to restrict the acquisition and/or carrying of guns.

A case in point was the mass shooting at a Luby's cafeteria in Texas in 1991. At that time, Texas had very strict laws regarding handguns; they could not legally be carried on the person.

When an angry man crashed his truck into the restaurant and started shooting, the people inside had no defense. One lady had a handgun in her car, but didn't carry it, in an effort to be legal.
Her parents were both killed.

Afterwards, she (and others) lobbied the legislators and got concealed-carry legalized in Texas in 1995. The lives saved by concealed-carriers seldom get much news coverage, but I have MANY such news links to post here, if you would like to see them...

• Informative
Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.