United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2020/01/20/virginia-gun-rally-updates/

No mistake about the choice of date - they chose, of all days, MLK Day. As everyone knows, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a black civil rights activist who was the target of racists and was ultimately murdered with a gun.

Choosing today sends a message of "we love guns and we have no concern for MLK or his legacy and that's why whe chose today for our huge pro-gun rally".

MLK did things in line with God's Word, was peaceful but stood for what was right. He was a Christian man and pastor. This is the man that the racists hated then and hate to this day, along with anyone who shares Dr. King's Christian values.

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

No mistake about the choice of date - they chose, of all days, MLK Day. As everyone knows, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a black civil rights activist who was the target of racists and was ultimately murdered with a gun.

Choosing today sends a message of "we love guns and we have no concern for MLK or his legacy and that's why whe chose today for our huge pro-gun rally".

MLK did things in line with God's Word, was peaceful but stood for what was right. He was a Christian man and pastor. This is the man that the racists hated then and hate to this day, along with anyone who shares Dr. King's Christian values.

There are "good Christian" folks that would disagree with the truth of your post.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I saw some footage of people at that rally and they all seemed like regular people milling about. The Governor said no guns on the Capitol grounds and none of them had guns.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,603.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, what's left of the news media have tried portraying this event as a klan gathering or some such but it's really just a response to laws created by Virginia's recently elected gun-confiscators.

They're a funny bunch.
Why today though?

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Politically Liberal Christian Fundamentalist
Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yeah, what's left of the news media have tried portraying this event as a klan gathering or some such but it's really just a response to laws created by Virginia's recently elected gun-confiscators.

They're a funny bunch.
That's an interesting topic - you may want to start a thread about the media if you find it so fascinating. This thread is not about the media, however. Personally, I have not seen the media calling this a KKK rally, but I'm in New York City so maybe that's why.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I watched some interviews of participants at the rally, one of a rather impressive black man, and saw nothing but a peaceful demonstration, with no hint of race being an issue at all. A group called Black Guns Matter was there. In all the run-up to this rally, I never heard a word about MLK or race or about the rally date having any ramifications in that regard.

According to NBC News the chosen date has a history in VA of being used for political rallies at the capitol, including pro/con gun rights. Perhaps that is because it is a day off work for many:

The event on Monday, called Lobby Day, is part of an annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day tradition in which citizen activists, including those on both sides of the gun debate, converge on the Capitol to press issues directly to lawmakers. The rallies have usually been peaceful and orderly.​

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
As you stated in your OP, the choosing of today was not coincidental. They knew that some people would find it offensive, therefore the purpose of choosing today was multifaceted.
1) The purpose was to be offensive
2) The purpose was to disdain the day
3) The purpose was to throw shade upon the memory of Dr. King
Like the OP, that's paranoid crazy talk. It's a national holiday so people are off from work and can attend the rally. I don't know what their demographics are but the group which organized the rally had Shaneen Allen as a speaker at another rally a few years ago. Dr. King was about civil rights, and there's no more basic civil right than being able to effectively defend yourself and your family.

Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like the OP, that's paranoid crazy talk. It's a national holiday so people are off from work and can attend the rally. I don't know what their demographics are but the group which organized the rally had Shaneen Allen as a speaker at another rally a few years ago. Dr. King was about civil rights, and there's no more basic civil right than being able to effectively defend yourself and your family.
It is how you want to look at it.

Defend yourself against your false fears is one thing.
A show of force to try to intimidate others is even worse.

I grew up using guns, by the way and there is a place and a time without this "look at me and what my gun can do" nonsense.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I watched some interviews of participants at the rally, one of a rather impressive black man, and saw nothing but a peaceful demonstration, with no hint of race being an issue at all. A group called Black Guns Matter was there. In all the run-up to this rally, I never heard a word about MLK or race or about the rally date having any ramifications in that regard.

According to NBC News the chosen date has a history in VA of being used for political rallies at the capitol, including pro/con gun rights. Perhaps that is because it is a day off work for many:

The event on Monday, called Lobby Day, is part of an annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day tradition in which citizen activists, including those on both sides of the gun debate, converge on the Capitol to press issues directly to lawmakers. The rallies have usually been peaceful and orderly.​
It's not an annual tradition for anyone except right-wing gun lovers, who created this "lobby day". Yes, they chose to make this "annual tradition" on MLK day every year. I don't know who you think you're fooling.

It is absolutely by design and not a coincidence. It is clearly meant to be racist and obstruct the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. It's an insult to celebrate guns on a Federal holiday designated to celebrate a peaceful Christian leader who was killed by a gun for standing up for what is morally right.

Every one of those gun lovers who chose to celebrate guns instead of Dr. King on this day is a racist, plain and simple, and chose the anti-Christian thing to do.

Even more pathetic is that people are defending these anti-Christian cretins.

Upvote 0

ArmenianJohn

Jan 30, 2013
New Jersey (NYC Metro)
✟205,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
That's godless crazy talk. You have to really hate God's Word to side with killing over love. You want to choose a day that is meant to remember the peaceful work of a Christian American leader who has helped millions of people over several generations and instead celebrate killing tools. Typical of a catechumen anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: quietpraiyze
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Um, being a gun rights advocate has nothing to do with race. Lots of races were there defending thier rights.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every one of those gun lovers who chose to celebrate guns instead of Dr. King on this day is a racist, plain and simple, and chose the anti-Christian thing to do.
Totally hogwash. I guarantee you many if not most of those folks protesting are Christians.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know who you think you're fooling.

Seems a strange thing to say, since I only repeated what NBC News reported.

Every one there is a racist, eh? I doubt you will convince those who were there of that. Here's a couple that appear to disagree with you.

Exhibit A:

The First on Twitter

Exhibit B:

Even the Black Panthers were there today, supporting gun rights:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EOwrZt_XsAAidz8?format=jpg

You also can find an interview with the founder of Black Guns Matter on youtube. You'll find him preaching unity.

Perhaps you're viewing this matter through your own personal filters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟194,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Totally hogwash. I guarantee you many if not most of those folks protesting are Christians.

Im pretty sure that disturbing thought is what the OP is getting at.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

So sorry to hear this.Where is LOVE? No true Holy Spirit filled Christian would participate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jamesone5

Site Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Basin
✟97,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I thought about this a bit and marching around carrying a gun is ridiculous. You say it is about defending your family--shouldn't you be home and doing that very thing?

Which is an example of why I have not given one dime to the NRA since the 70's or so when the were all about hunter safety. My, how times have changed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Curtis.Hilliker

Now what.......
Apr 25, 2011
Tehachapi CA
✟47,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
I like how there wasn’t a single reported disturbance, unlike left wing protests with Antifa where people are hurt and property is destroyed.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.