How to witness correctly in this situation?

EtainSkirata

Mar 9, 2020
Nowhere
✟46,483.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I met my bf's mother for the first time recently; she lives in another state very far from us. My bf is trying to get her to go to church, because she doesn't anymore. Her old church is a Catholic church near her, and he is encouraging her to go back there.
While I definitely want her to go to church, I have reservations about encouraging her to go to the Catholic church, because I strongly believe Catholisism is wrong in significant ways (I do not want to debate that in this thread, please!). But I looked up other churches in her area, and there aren't many good ones, if any.
How do I encourage her to attend church if I don't agree with the one she's going to? I bought her a Bible and we're going to send it to her with some other presents. And I want to be able to witness to her in whatever few chances I may get. But how should I go about this?

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟907,524.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I met my bf's mother for the first time recently; she lives in another state very far from us. My bf is trying to get her to go to church, because she doesn't anymore. Her old church is a Catholic church near her, and he is encouraging her to go back there.
While I definitely want her to go to church, I have reservations about encouraging her to go to the Catholic church, because I strongly believe Catholisism is wrong in significant ways (I do not want to debate that in this thread, please!). But I looked up other churches in her area, and there aren't many good ones, if any.
How do I encourage her to attend church if I don't agree with the one she's going to? I bought her a Bible and we're going to send it to her with some other presents. And I want to be able to witness to her in whatever few chances I may get. But how should I go about this?
Lead by example.
On a side note , going to church is not a salvivic issue. It is the heart towards our King. Blessings.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟252,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

This has nothing to do about attending a church and actually that may be a big door closer (focusing on going to a church).

I would get her these books
Confident in Christ: Living By Faith Really Works: Robert N. Wilkin: 0000964139235: Amazon.com: Books
Absolutely Free: A Biblical Reply to Lordship Salvation: Hodges, Zane C, Wilkin, Robert N, Lazar, Shawn C: 9780988347205: Amazon.com: Books

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,438.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
While I definitely want her to go to church, I have reservations about encouraging her to go to the Catholic church, because I strongly believe Catholisism is wrong in significant ways (I do not want to debate that in this thread, please!).

I think there's value in being part of an in-real-life Christian community, and worshipping in a group with other people, and receiving Communion on a regular basis. I'd rather see Christians being part of a local church, even if it's a church that I have some disagreement with, than trying to be total loners in their spiritual life.

There are limits to this (I wouldn't send someone to Westboro Baptist, for example), and that brings me to ask: how deep are your disagreements with the Catholic Church? I don't mean to hash out those disagreements here (I agree, it wouldn't be productive), but rather to offer it as a question to think about. In your view, would going to a Catholic church be better, or worse, than not going to church at all? If it's at least better than not going to church at all, then perhaps join your bf in encouraging her to return to her original church. It would at least get her back in the habit of worshipping with other Christians on a regular basis. On the other hand, if your reservations are so strong that (in your view) it would be better for her to stay home than to worship alongside Catholics, then that's a different matter.

How does your bf's mother herself feel about her old church? Why doesn't she attend? Is it just comfy to sleep in on Sundays, or does she have some disagreements with the church, or something else?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟564,216.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
After 50 years of walking this thing of ours, I have found the only thing that works is the Word. No rationalizing. No psychological manipulation. No fearful futures. No emotional appeals or demands for commitment. Just the Word. The Holy Spirit is what will get people saved, and that by faith, and that ONLY by the Word. In the end... just the Word.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟913,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
online church services are available - so you could find one for her... but being in company with other believers is a blessing. If she has good teaching in the online service then also having Christian fellowship in a local group that is pretty close to the truth - might be a good idea depending on the group.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think it is important to learn why she hasn't been going to church. If she has some reservation about Catholicism or had some injury there, perhaps your recommending other churches stands a chance. However, if she identifies as Catholic and her absence has nothing to do with aversion to Catholicism, per se, I think recommending something different is ill advised and likely to be unwelcome and sow hard feelings. No one likes seeing their faith attacked.

Whatever you personally believe about Catholicism, they preserved the faith for nearly 2,000 years before Protestants came along to tell them they had been doing it wrong. If she wants to remain Catholic, her choice should be supported.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,379.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How do you determine what a "good church" is?

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your own peace and joy is the best example. But you can't force belief on anyone. I'm Catholic and have encouraged friends to attend Protestant churches since I knew that would be best for them at the time. I was Protestant myself in the past. But she must decide for herself at the end of the day

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟693,487.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The point of encouraging your soon to be mother-in-law to attend church is so that she will hear the Word of God and be healed by it.

This can occur at any church - including Catholic churches so long as the Word is being spoken in a language and manner that can be understood.

The heart is up to God, but it's little use getting into a Catholic/Protestant debate with her when she is currently not even attending a church or reading the Bible.

This might be because she is feeling some disagreement with Catholic teachings - and certainly you could ask her why she isn't currently in church attendance, and if the issue is Catholic teachings then you could invite her to attend church with you, and allow her the freedom to find a similar church near her if she decides she wants to continue attending a church more similar to your own.

However, she's an adult not a child, so picking out a church for her to attend is overbearing and likely will push her away. Keep in mind you've only just met her - she's not likely to appreciate you trying to fix her when she doesn't see herself as broken.

Just get to know her as a person, and let her get to know you before you go overboard with much in the religion department, short of displaying the life of a faithful Christian woman, and maybe a short conversation or two. Just don't push, she is you BF mother, and deserves the respect of a parent.

Upvote 0

anetazo

Feb 19, 2023
Meriden
✟27,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Corinthians chapter 3, apostates broke away from the foundation of christ and formed denominations, Catholics is one of them. Proverbs chapter 5, teaches the stranger or Zur is apostates. You don't want to get caught in thier trap. They teach tradition of men and false doctrine. Hosea chapter 4:15. Don't go to Beth Aven. It means house of emptiness. God hates false teachings. No blessings. These apostates poison people's minds with traditions of men. I wouldn't go to the catholic church. James chapter 1, tells us to be Doers of the word, not hearers only, deceiving your selves. Get the picture. Those going to Beth Aven are not doing Gods will. Gods blessings or curses. It's your decision. I documented this.

Upvote 0