Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I feel like I’m getting to work on patience here, at least.

I hope you continue lol. I have a much greater understanding of the Catholic church, and Christianity, from your posts. I’m Protestant (I think! I'm Anglican and I'm not sure if that counts) and I agree that huge numbers of Protestant denominations and disagreements over everything including things such as whether God loves all or just an elect, things anyone outside of Christianity wouldn't think disagreement was possible on, is very concerning.

I agree with you that there has to be some way of authoritatively saying what the Christian truth is - it can't just be left to everyone's individual interpretation. To me, this ”authority” comes from reading representatives from all the main traditions and sometimes from none. It feels to me that when I read or listen to a reflective and informed piece of writing or talk I am getting something authoritative from that, and there does seem to be a remarkable level of agreement on the really important things like God's love from the best representatives - I know that's subjective - of the Catholic, Orthodox and Anglican and also the smaller churches. I know this is subjective and so not really authoritative because I'm deciding who speaks for me but it seems to work for me. I couldn't wholly sign up to any of the established churches because there’s always something I don't agree in everyone, even if I have to look very hard to find it! It probably works for me because I'm only really interested in the big picture - things like how to have a loving and meaningful relationship with God - and the writers I like seem to say pretty much the same thing on these matters, e.g Bishop Robert Baron from the Catholic church, the Anglican Rowan Williams and Philip Yancey who came from what he described as a very abusive and racist independent church and who studied and write books as a way to find the Jesus he was never taught about.

I think it's important to belong to a church as well though partly because you're going to meet people who disagree with you about some things and we all need that sometimes to smooth down our rough edges.

Reactions: fhansen
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have to be honest-I don’t know if you’re just being purposefully argumentative, for whatever your reasons, or not. It’s obvious that your bright, but still objecting in an almost affected way.

For whatever it's worth, I've been told by many that I'm very intelligent, perceptive and a critical thinker. You say something, I research it, and then I report my findings. That's how I operate. Naturally people get perturbed when my findings don't back up their claims and or concepts.

Catholicism presents a unified body of beliefs, whether anyone, Catholic or Protestant or Buddhist or atheists or whoever want to agree with them or not. If anyone argues about them they’re arguing with the Church, and probably know it unless they’re just uneducated. Protestants argue about what the body of beliefs consist of to begin with, what constitutes right belief, IOW, as is seen on this thread. So while some Catholic may disagree with Catholicism over abortion or justification or whatever, he’s only tacitly implying that he’s not really so Catholic. But Protestants can and do sometimes disagree over abortion more or less plausibly because little is said directly about it in Scripture. Same with infant baptism, the real presence, the role of man’s will, predestination to hell, etc. And this is the main reason there are a multitude of denominations, because they can’t agree over Scriptural interpretations.

According to my research there are over twenty particular churches practicing over 20 different rites under the umbrella of Catholicism.

You said that the Church isn’t just the Vatican. That didn’t make sense so I remarked that the Vatican isn’t the church at all. And I agreed otherwise, that the church is the Body of Christ. I feel like I’m getting to work on patience here, at least.

It seems to me that you don't speak of the Church as if it's the entire Body of Christ. But rather as if it's limited to the specific organization that is governed by the Vatican. The Vatican is the city state in Rome ruled by the pope that is the center of the Roman Catholic Church. You can also use the Vatican to refer to the pope or his officials.

They threw the baby out with the bath water, and ceased being Catholic. And after getting the protest running that spawned even more folks with the same mentality, who then proceeded to protest against the original protester’s beliefs and started their own, more “correct”, church.

It seems to me that they originally simply eliminated a lot of the extrabiblical stuff that was added in from the 4th to at least the 13th century. I think what really changed things regarding the masses, was everyone finally having full access to Scripture.

I don’t think it would change anything. The whole, are you saved, are you born again, are you numbered among the elect thing is mainly Protestant. Mr Ware would most likely say that he did the best he could and now he’ll leave it up to God.

Jesus Christ coined the term "born again". And He along with His apostles are the ones who originated the concepts of being saved and the elect etc. 1 John is specifically written to know that you are currently saved.

I'll ask you the same question I think Bishop Ware should have been asked. If you died within the next few seconds, do you think you would you end up in heaven? Yes, no, maybe, not sure, hope so but don't know?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope you continue lol. I have a much greater understanding of the Catholic church, and Christianity, from your posts.

The topic only recently shifted to Catholicism vs Protestantism. Up until then most everything fhansen has said about salvation is verbatim to what I've already heard from Protestants who teach Arminian Lordship Salvation.

As far as the twenty different versions of Catholicism, and all the different versions of Protestantism goes, I just see myself as a Christian.

Upvote 0

Hmm

Hey, I'm just this guy, you know
Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Up until then most everything fhansen has said about salvation is verbatim to what I've already heard from Protestants who teach Arminian Lordship Salvation.

It’s the same as everything I’ve heard from the Church of England too.

As far as the twenty different versions of Catholicism, and all the different versions of Protestantism goes, I just see myself as a Christian.

I do too although I do tend to gravitate more towards the traditional churches. I'm socially liberal though and like a lot of things left slightly ”fuzzy”and not tied down too much so this tilts me towards the more liberal side of Anglicanism. But I just see myself as Christian too.

The thing I like least is proof texting - basing an entire world view on one or two verses - and ignoring the larger biblical story. It leads to some pretty bizarre conclusions!

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I do too although I do tend to gravitate more towards the traditional churches. I'm socially liberal though and like a lot of things left slightly ”fuzzy”and not tied down too much so this tilts me towards the more liberal side of Anglicanism. But I just see myself as Christian too.

The thing I like least is proof texting - basing an entire world view on one or two verses - and ignoring the larger biblical story. It leads to some pretty bizarre conclusions!

I feel the same way. Why not derive a conclusion from the whole work, rather than from bits and pieces? And it seems so often the proof verse does not say what someone is trying to get it to say, which becomes evident when the entire passage is read. I wish I had the ability to memorize the entire bible.

• Agree
Reactions: Hmm
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why not derive a conclusion from the whole work, rather than from bits and pieces?

I guess it's because it's hard to understand the whole biblical narrative. Do we know it fully anyway? We have two thousand years of tradition, scholarship and many examples of wonderful Christians to draw upon but IMO it's still an open learning process to be carried out in the Holy Spirit that will never really end.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How can one have total faith in Jesus to save them, and yet not have total faith that they are at this minute saved?

I read that there are more than 10,000 saints recognized by the Roman Catholic Church. So I suppose there must be assurance of their salvation at least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Rom 3:25:
"...whom God set forth [to be] a propitiation, through faith, in his blood, to show his righteousness because of the passing over of the sins done aforetime, in the forbearance of God;
We're not justified by fulfilling the law and being holy; we're justified, forgiven and made just, by God in response to faith:
"...not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith." Phil 3:9

From there on, yes, we must be and remain holy in order to be saved. That's still optional.
"Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." Heb 12:14p
We must love-that's really all there is to it but some don't like even that obligation. Or think that the obligation will be automatically fulfilled.
Sorry. . .that is not the gospel. . .many who deny Christ love and love well, as in Orthodox Jews.
They are not saved.
How many times do I have to repeat this gospel truth?
Love is not all there is.

You are presenting another gospel--saved by love--than the one Paul presents; i.e., saved by faith without works (Ephesians 2:8-9).
Why do you need to change the gospel?

Saving faith obeys, but it is not its obedience which saves, it is the faith apart from its obedience which saves.
Love does not save.

Are you sure you're not Irish?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sorry. . .that is not the gospel. . .many who deny Christ love and love well, as in Orthodox Jews.
They are not saved.

I know that's not addressed to me but I'm curious as to what you believes happens to them, Orthodox Jews for example, when they die.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

"Proof texting" as prejorative is the same as "believing in the fundamentals" of the NT as prejorative, dismissive of what
disagrees with one's own error.

There is no other way to demonstrate the meaning of Scripture than Scripture itself "(proof texts") presented in
the light of all Scripture.
And those who don't believe the fundamentals of the NT may not actually be Christian.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know that's not addressed to me but I'm curious as to
what you believes happens to them, Orthodox Jews for example, when they die.
Yeah, but you're a nice guy. . .

Jesus says they "remain "condemned." (John 3:18)
The apostle John says "Gods wrath remains" on them." (John 3:36).

That's all I got.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Hmm

Sep 27, 2019
Shropshire
✟186,379.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"Proof texting" as prejorative is the same as "believing in the fundamentals" of the NT as prejorative, dismissive of what
disagrees with one's own error.

There is no other way to demonstrate the meaning of Scripture than Scripture itself "(proof texts") presented in
the light of all Scripture.
And those who don't believe the fundamentals of the NT may not actually be Christian.

It’s never good to take verses out of context. For example 1 Corinthians 11 includes this:

4 Any man who prays or prophesies with something on his head disgraces his head, 5 but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled disgraces her head—it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should wear a veil.

Proof texting tells you that you, as a woman, must wear a veil/hat in church. If you don't then I can only assume that you don't believe in proof texting despite what you’ve said above.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For whatever it's worth, I've been told by many that I'm very intelligent, perceptive and a critical thinker. You say something, I research it, and then I report my findings. That's how I operate. Naturally people get perturbed when my findings don't back up their claims and or concepts
I don't mind the challenges. And critical thinking is always the best route. Now, with research one will still run into plenty of pop mythology mixed with truth, half-truths, and falsehoods regarding Catholicism as its been a big target for centuries, not always undeserved. Where I get perturbed, however, is not with straight answers but with answers that come across more as diversions, consciously made or not. Answers that haven't really addressed the question IOW.
According to my research there are over twenty particular churches practicing over 20 different rites under the umbrella of Catholicism.
You're not comparing apples with apples. Your research then should've told you that those rites are nothing more than churches in communion with and under the authority of Rome; they're still Catholic Churches with the Roman bishop, the pope, as their head. They hold to the same catechism-holding a unified body of beliefs IOW. Their main differences are strictly non-dogmatic, involving liturgies and practices that have evolved within differing cultures. They call these different "rites".
It seems to me that you don't speak of the Church as if it's the entire Body of Christ. But rather as if it's limited to the specific organization that is governed by the Vatican. The Vatican is the city state in Rome ruled by the pope that is the center of the Roman Catholic Church. You can also use the Vatican to refer to the pope or his officials.
The Catholic Church recognizes truth in those denominations that promote the basics of Christianity correctly, even if the lack of unity between us all is considered to be a wound, and ultimately not consistent with God's highest desire for His Church. But Protestant denominations resulted form protesting against and leaving the Catholic church and the CC stills sees them as "separated brethren" and still part of the one larger Church regardless of whether or not they agree- or love, hate, or otherwise ignore the CC. The differences in beliefs between the denominations themselves and with the CC are rightly called "wounds to unity", and the Catholic Church teaches that the "fullness of truth" resides within Catholic teachings. But the Church also teaches:
819 "Furthermore, many elements of sanctification and of truth"273 are found outside the visible confines of the Catholic Church: "the written Word of God; the life of grace; faith, hope, and charity, with the other interior gifts of the Holy Spirit, as well as visible elements."274 Christ's Spirit uses these Churches and ecclesial communities as means of salvation, whose power derives from the fullness of grace and truth that Christ has entrusted to the Catholic Church. All these blessings come from Christ and lead to him,275 and are in themselves calls to "Catholic unity."276
It seems to me that they originally simply eliminated a lot of the extrabiblical stuff that was added in from the 4th to at least the 13th century. I think what really changed things regarding the masses, was everyone finally having full access to Scripture.
Access to Scripture mainly came about due to the printing press and increasing literacy. And the result, ultimately, was a wide range of differing beliefs, based on Scripture alone. Some basics that were agreed upon didn't produce the predicted fruit. The doctrine of Sola Scriptura proved itself invalid despite best desires and intentions, and the doctrine of Sola Fide works sorta kinda ok when qualified, while the rest of the Solas are consistent with Christian truth.
If it was only peripheral stuff, or reforming abuses done by churchmen (which was Luther's original objection), that would be one thing. The baby got thrown out, however, when doctrinal changes were thought appropriate. This very matter of justification-what it takes and means to be right in the eyes of God-was central to the Reformation-and became the main focus of the Church's attention as she addressed the matter at the Council of Trent.
1 John is specifically written to know that you are currently saved.
Ok, so you'd be insisting that everyone who's ever heard or read those words down through the centuries and applied them to themselves was/is necessarily saved. Doubt it. That probably wasn't even true for every one of the first audience they were addressed to. Much of that language is encouragement and hyperbole, which is also balanced, in Scripture, with warnings, admonishments, and instruction. We can have a decent idea, a strong while guarded assurance, that we're a child of God, based on His promises and evidence of fruit in our lives. We just can't have 100% perfect certainty which is considered to be rash or vain confidence. That kind of certainty is His province.
Jesus Christ coined the term "born again". And He along with His apostles are the ones who originated the concepts of being saved and the elect etc. 1 John is specifically written to know that you are currently saved.
It's not the term but the application and overuse of it. And the insistence that I'm "there" and often that it's a permanent state of being for me, maybe even if I only once believed in the past depending on the variation.
I'll ask you the same question I think Bishop Ware should have been asked. If you died within the next few seconds, do you think you would you end up in heaven? Yes, no, maybe, not sure, hope so but don't know?
I'd answer probably, not totally sure. Again, I'd leave that one up to God-at the end of the day it's a matter of what He thinks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
How can one have total faith in Jesus to save them, and yet not have total faith that they are at this minute saved?
Salvation is spoken of in Scripture as a past, present, and future event-and one that's ultimately "worked out". We're the wildcard in it all-not Him.
I read that there are more than 10,000 saints recognized by the Roman Catholic Church. So I suppose there must be assurance of their salvation at least.
Even those saints, who the Church simply came to recognize and affirm as making it to heaven, and to serve as spiritual role models for us- wouldn't have had absolute and perfect certainty about their salvation in this life-at least not according to the material on those whose lives I've read about. They were quite humble folk-that's how they came to know, love, and serve God as well as they did to begin with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I hope you continue lol. I have a much greater understanding of the Catholic church, and Christianity, from your posts. I’m Protestant (I think! I'm Anglican and I'm not sure if that counts) and I agree that huge numbers of Protestant denominations and disagreements over everything including things such as whether God loves all or just an elect, things anyone outside of Christianity wouldn't think disagreement was possible on, is very concerning.

I agree with you that there has to be some way of authoritatively saying what the Christian truth is - it can't just be left to everyone's individual interpretation. To me, this ”authority” comes from reading representatives from all the main traditions and sometimes from none. It feels to me that when I read or listen to a reflective and informed piece of writing or talk I am getting something authoritative from that, and there does seem to be a remarkable level of agreement on the really important things like God's love from the best representatives - I know that's subjective - of the Catholic, Orthodox and Anglican and also the smaller churches. I know this is subjective and so not really authoritative because I'm deciding who speaks for me but it seems to work for me. I couldn't wholly sign up to any of the established churches because there’s always something I don't agree in everyone, even if I have to look very hard to find it! It probably works for me because I'm only really interested in the big picture - things like how to have a loving and meaningful relationship with God - and the writers I like seem to say pretty much the same thing on these matters, e.g Bishop Robert Baron from the Catholic church, the Anglican Rowan Williams and Philip Yancey who came from what he described as a very abusive and racist independent church and who studied and write books as a way to find the Jesus he was never taught about.

I think it's important to belong to a church as well though partly because you're going to meet people who disagree with you about some things and we all need that sometimes to smooth down our rough edges.
There's a somewhat famous quote from a popular bishop several decades ago, FWIW:
“There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be.”

• Agree
Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟324,175.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The topic only recently shifted to Catholicism vs Protestantism. Up until then most everything fhansen has said about salvation is verbatim to what I've already heard from Protestants who teach Arminian Lordship Salvation.
Ok? So we have more options-always a good thing, I guess? But why would division within God's church be a good thing if the Catholic Church already taught the same truth before the Reformation?

Anyway, my intention wasn't to steer this thread towards a debate on Catholicism vs Protestantism per se but to introduce the idea that there's more to understanding the Christian faith than picking up a Book, regardless of how divinely inspired, and reading it. The elements that make up our faith today owe much to the continuous legacy of the Church from day one until now-along with the millions of Christian witnesses who've proceeded us down through the centuries. Some Protestants would agree with this to one extent or another, while others would disagree.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It’s never good to take verses out of context. For example 1 Corinthians 11 includes this: 4 Any man who prays or prophesies with something on his head disgraces his head, 5 but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled disgraces her head—it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved. 6 For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should wear a veil.
Proof texting tells you that you, as a woman, must wear a veil/hat in church. If you don't then I can only assume that you don't believe in proof texting despite what you’ve said above.
The issue here is not proof texting, but obedience.

The text goes on to state that "because of the angels, the woman ought to have a sign of authority on her head."
(1 Corinthians 11:10)

I am not in compliance with that recommendation, hoping that my wedding band will serve as a witness of God's wisdom
to the angels (1 Corinthians 4:9; Ephesians 3:10; 1 Timothy 5:21; 1 Peter 1:12).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BNR32FAN

He’s a Way of life
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2017
Dallas
✟890,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
They are not saved.
How many times do I have to repeat this gospel truth?
Love is not all there is.

You are presenting another gospel--saved by love--than the one Paul presents; i.e., saved by faith without works (Ephesians 2:8-9).
Why do you need to change the gospel?

Saving faith obeys, but it is not its obedience which saves, it is the faith apart from its obedience which saves.
Love does not save.

Are you sure you're not Irish?

I think we can all agree that according to fhansen’s previous posts he does not advocate salvation by love without faith. I believe he is saying that we must have both love and faith to receive salvation. Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13 “if I have all faith so as to move mountains but I have not love, I am nothing.” I believe his message here is that faith without love is useless, much like what James said in James 2:14-16.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ok? So we have more options-always a good thing, I guess? But why would division within God's church be a good thing if the Catholic Church already taught the same truth before the Reformation?

Anyway, my intention wasn't to steer this thread towards a debate on Catholicism vs Protestantism per se but to introduce the idea that there's more to understanding the Christian faith than picking up a Book, regardless of how divinely inspired, and reading it.

I was just pointing out it's not exclusive to the RCC. Nothing else was meant to implied or concluded. Hmm found it informative, which was my only interest in pointing it out.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.