• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

How to tell an annoying Person to go away

Davidz777

Nov 23, 2012
SF Bay Area
✟10,303.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Being polite is a necessary skill but many people grow up without learning how to communicate frankly directly honestly to others when such is appropriate and instead habitually tell little white lies so as not to hurt feelings or to twist and spin whatever into what they prefer not to have to say.

A relative of mine will call me up to share something he obviously feels a need to talk to someone about, that ends up mostly a one way conversation. Before I'm able to say much, he'll blurt out, "I need to do the laundry". It's comical. Most people learn to avoid telling even little lies by avoiding saying anything. And that really isn't hard.

Give any person the benefit of the doubt even probably pushy people, but if they persist whether purposely or obnoxiously because they are aggressive, get frank.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
that's the story of my life. creeps imposed themselves on me. i have always been a loner so it made them think the coast was clear for them. when they got tired of me running away from them they would get the picture and quit. but will tell others "i used to date her" or "i used to go with her" when all they did was chase me. there's a saying you are judged by the company you keep. it made me so mad when they'd claim to have gone with me or dated me. they are unclean and i'm not.

I would say both the OP and you are giving off 'available', 'week' or 'doormat' type vibes.

Miggles, don't run unless you mean simply move to another table. And OP do not offer your email to anyone you don't like. Learn to say "No, I'm not interested, sorry." Then practice ignoring. If a person makes you uncomfortable you do not have to put up with them. A guy can only chase you if you are running. Then if they come on more that is when you stand your ground.
Will this mean being rude? Probably slightly. I was a doormat for years, only age taught me to not to be one. Some people, especially guys when your're female (This might hold true for gay guys too) even take a smile as some kind of signal that you are into them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wouldn’t mind if it was a woman
It shouldn’t matter what his gender is. It sounds like you are bothered more by him being gay than the unwanted attention. There are far worse things you could be going through than unwanted flirting.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
It shouldn’t matter what his gender is. It sounds like you are bothered more by him being gay than the unwanted attention. There are far worse things you could be going through than unwanted flirting.

If the fellow is even flirting with him. If he's even gay. It's not like Andrew was just asked for his number out of the clear blue. They're in a class together, working on a project together. It's to be expected that he'd asked for his number. Most folks in college at least at mine, text. Also not abnormal to ask a classmate you're working on a project with to get together over lunch. He wasn't asked to dinner or anything special.

Not criticizing your post at all. Just didn't want Andrew here to have undue anxiety thinking this fellow was flirting with based on pretty routine behavior for classmates.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course there are worse things, but that doesn't mean he has to put up with it. Also it's best to always be honest so people know where they stand. Perhapes the guy is gay and thinks the OP is gay, in which case it behoves the OP to put him straight. (lol that was an unintentional pun but hey )

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If the fellow is even flirting with him. If he's even gay. It's not like Andrew was just asked for his number out of the clear blue. They're in a class together, working on a project together. It's to be expected that he'd asked for his number. Most folks in college at least at mine, text. Also not abnormal to ask a classmate you're working on a project with to get together over lunch. He wasn't asked to dinner or anything special.

Not criticizing your post at all. Just didn't want Andrew here to have undue anxiety thinking this fellow was flirting with based on pretty routine behavior for classmates.
He isn’t just casually asking if I’m hungry and want lunch. He’s waiting around all the time asking me to go to lunch. And you don’t know what he’s like at all - he is definitely gay and the way he giggles and looks at me makes me feel a bit uncomfortable to be honest.

Upvote 0

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think the fellow is a creep or that it's weird whatsoever. Having read your other threads for context I think maybe your insecurities about other issues are causing the problem here. Just my hunch.

Hope this may help you to relax a little. I'm also in college, at an engineering school. About 75% of the folks in my major are fellows. Most aren't gay. Plenty of fellows cross their legs, simply on account of it being comfy. Plenty laugh in class when that's appropriate. It's normal to share your contact info with other folks in your class, especially if y'all will be working together on a project. Not uncommon to ask if somebody wants to grab lunch. I do that all the time. I almost always ask other fellows if they want to grab CFA or whatever. I've been in a serious relationship with my girl since way back in HS so for me just grabbing lunch with another fellow instead of another gal is just the better thing to do. Why sit by myself having lunch when it's more fun sitting with a buddy. It's also not weird that this guy would sit near you since you're in the same class and have worked together.

Wanting to leave the university on account of him is way too extreme of a reaction.
I’m not gay. If you read my posts I talked about how my libido dropped significantly when I was 16 and so I lost interest in sex completely. This made me think I was turning gay or something but my sexual desires altogether just dropped seemingly overnight.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

You are correct. I am just going with Andrew’s assumptions, but he could be wrong.

Reactions: Go Braves
Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I’m not gay. If you read my posts I talked about how my libido dropped significantly when I was 16 and so I lost interest in sex completely. This made me think I was turning gay or something but my sexual desires altogether just dropped seemingly overnight.
That’s a really non-sequester response to @Go Braves post. No one here is implying you’re gay. But you do sound really concerned that a gay guy might be hitting on you. If that is the case, just tell him very directly you’re not interested. Its pretty normal to have people you aren’t interested in pursue you. Like I said, women deal with this a lot.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Well Andrew, I never said or implied you are gay. Let me give you a tip. The fastest way to get folks to wonder if you are gay is to obsess over whether someone who's been friendly to you is gay & get so darned worked up and angry about it. You've gone into detail about how the fellow crosses his legs, giggles. You're reading so much into him sitting next to you even though the 2 of you are in the same class. You're acting all put out and aggrieved that he wanted your number when that's completely normal, especially since you're working on a group project. How do you expect to arrange times to get together to work on it? By email? This isn't 1998.

Have you ever heard of "thou doth protest too much, methinks?" If you're not gay, just relax a little. Even if this fellow is gay, it's not something that's contagious. Wanting to leave school over this is way extreme.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
He isn’t just casually asking if I’m hungry and want lunch. He’s waiting around all the time asking me to go to lunch. And you don’t know what he’s like at all - he is definitely gay and the way he giggles and looks at me makes me feel a bit uncomfortable to be honest.

Nobody here knows what he is like at all on account of how nobody here has met this fellow. All we've got to go by is your descriptions of him & your own posts for contexts. You're obsessing over this way too much. If you don't want to go to lunch with him, fine. Just politely decline. But if you still have got to finish the group project you're going to have to work with him outside of class. Suck it up and get used to it. You're going to have work with a bunch of folks you don't really want to work with in life.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Andrew98 said:
Anytime I say anything to him he disagrees. For example He wanted my phone number to ask for homework help and I wanted to give him my email instead to which he’s like why?
He wants to have lunch with me and if I say no then he asks why. If I rearrange something so I don’t have to see him he’s like why and doesn’t seem to twig that I don’t want to be around him
He has given you the reason to avoid him..."He always disagrees...".
Tell him you don't care for disagreements, and walk away.
i agree. At the very least, this person, as is stated in the title of this thread, is "annoying" and "disagreeable".

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
i agree. At the very least, this person, as is stated in the title of this thread, is "annoying" and "disagreeable".

Well Brinny that surely is ironic, lol.

Andrew is a 20 year old fellow. Folks here are trying to talk to him directly. Trying to actually ease his mind. Explain what's normal. Give Bible-based recommendations.

It's frustrating as heck on account of how you're jumping in to disagree with everybody who doesn't just confirm the worst of this fellow's fears. It's annoying. I see that you joined here back in 04. You were on this forum when lots of us in college nowadays hadn't even started kindergarten. Now I'm not saying that to be derogatory but to point out that you might not quite be up to speed on some things like how nowadays everybody texts with each other so disagreeing on over giving your email to somebody in your class is hardly the sort of thing to kick up a big stink about.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
This guy joined my class at school and was put into a group with me and one other person.
I quickly realised I don’t like this person at all and I think they’re creepy and weird. It’s pretty obvious that they are gay as well.
Well after just being polite to this person they won’t leave me alone. They sit near me in class and now even asking me out for lunch with them. I feel very uncomfortable around them as I’m not gay and they smile at me in a weird way and now they’re asking to go out for meals when I BARELY KNOW THEM.
In no scenario do I want to be with them, hang out with them and certainly not go to eat with them. They are weird and creepy and I feel extremely awkward in their presence.

Please help me get out of this situation.

Yes it sounds like an episode of Community only not funny....

You could try to make Lemonade out of lemons of the situation. If there is a girl you like but never had the gumption to ask out, try killing two birds with one stone and ask her out when he starts hitting on you. Even If she says no, you at least send the creepy guy a message that you aren't playing for his team. Maybe do this every time he gets flirty and uncomfortable. Eventually he will get the message and maybe you might get a nice girl in the process.

• Agree
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
In

I love your support.

I believe everyone who has contributed to this thread has the sincere intent of being supportive to you, but we have divergent perspectives on how to best do so.

Though you and I have rarely interacted with one another, for years I have read your threads where you've chronicled your struggles, and your palpable loneliness and sense of despair made my heart ache. I felt unequipped to offer you any meaningful practical advice but I did earnestly pray for you. This past spring when you detailed in the College Life section how you sit alone in classes and feel ostracized by your classmates whom you fear perceive you as weird and awkward and who never extend invitations to you, I prayed for you and your desire for social inclusion and friendship. Quite literally what I prayed for after reading that thread is what you've described in this one, that you have a classmate who sees goodness in you, has chosen to sit by you, and is offering the opportunity for you to form a friendship and constructively work together in a group. I’m saddened that instead of this feeling like a boon to you it’s a source of consternation, but I think I do understand why, and I’m not intending to come across as being critical of you. I do feel it necessary to once again state that nothing that you've described of his behavior is what I'd quantify as abnormal, and certainly not with such vehement derogation as "creepy" or "verging on harassment." I do get why you feel validated when someone such as the person you were addressing in the post I quoted swoops in to vigorously insist that your perceptions are fully correct, to join you in your forceful condemnation of him, and to aggressively swat back at everyone else who has even a whiff of contrary opinion, because of course that would feel satisfying, but I in all honesty do not think that's to your long-term benefit. If someone with an eating disorder who is clinically underweight was adamant she needed to go on a restrictive diet, it’s doubtful you’d see the person affirming her assessment and squabbling with those who tried to persuade her otherwise as providing the best support for her overall health. I know that I'm likely not capable of convincing you to see your classmate’s actions through another lens, so that is why I simply urged you to treat him with the spirit of grace and charity, which is for the benefit of you both. He is a person who also has feelings.

I feel you've aided me in having more compassion towards a couple of guys in my personal life despite you and I having never met, so I do feel obliged to offer my thanks. It is because of your posts here that I learned about HOCD and was able to recognize the symptoms of it in a friend who reached out to me distraught - emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausted. It siphoned off his joy, his ability to concentrate on his school work, obligations, or family; to feel at peace while at church or with his family; to tame the thoughts feuding in his mind and sleep soundly; and incapacitated him from forming any friendships because he was constantly preoccupied with worries about his sexuality Like you, he's very intelligent and excels at math. He told me he finds a comfort in focusing on math because it doesn't intel any interpersonal analysis, it’s a retreat from people. He grew up in a Catholic family that has extremely negative views of homosexuality, and though he is actually heterosexual he expends enormous amounts of mental energy obsessing over his reactions to all men, from baseball players and male celebrities he'll never interact with in person to his classmates and teachers, to agonize over whether there's any part of him that could be gay. He also chronicles all nuances and body language of other men to scrutinize any trait that could be construed as homosexual. When he was 15 he began to have such frequent mental turmoil while attending his all-boys Jesuit school he switched to an online high school, which is where we became classmates. Even there where we engaged via webcams and text, he analyzed his classmate's actions and his own reactions to them, and rebuffed offers of friendship. He only interacts with other guys socially via video games. Even with girls it's been challenging because he is perpetually examining his level of attraction towards them. He "tests" himself by staring at pictures and trying to dissect his reactions. He bluntly told me he’d spent hours looking over my Instagram pictures of a beach weekend with friends and felt very troubled because he only found me and one other girl attractive, but we were both “flat chested” (haha, he wasn’t even trying to be insulting) and lacking womanly curves so he feared that meant he’d never find women to be desirable. Anytime someone has made an attempt to proffer kindness and friendship, he has mentally catalogued their quirks and personality and put them under a figurative microscope to analyze and obsess over. It’s both a cause of distress and a comfort to him to find reasons to push that person back instead of to proceed forward. He has finally been able to reclaim some peacefulness and joy by going through cognitive behavioral therapy specifically designed for treating OCD. He is now living on campus, on an all-male floor, feeling more confident in his own heterosexuality, and having normal interactions.

You also have made a genuine difference in how I treat my cousin who is my age and lives with my family. I am in college but must live at home because of an endocrine condition that requires multiple shots a day I have difficulty self-administrating. He does not have OCD but has other traits in common with you. I actually showed my dad a thread you wrote about how your dad turns off the hot water tank after your showers have exceeded 15 minutes because it drives me bonkers that on a daily basis my cousin takes excessively long showers in the bathroom connecting our bedrooms. This lead to my dad showing me a study by Yale of how it's not unusual for people who feel acutely lonely to take lengthy showers, to subconsciously use the warmth and touch of the hot water as a way to be comforted by the lack of social warmth and physical embrace. I literally think of this every. single. day. as he is in there to stop myself from starting the ignition of my annoyance. My dad told me it's not just my actual actions towards my cousin that matter, but the negativity about him festering in my own mind. Just as the physical repetitions of an exercise strengthens your actual heart, leading to tolerance and endurance, the repetition of exercising your tolerance, compassion, and grace can strengthen your spiritual heart. The fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, is nourishing to ourselves as well as being a healthy precept for how to treat others and not diminish our ability to witness.

This is a lengthy post, the longest I’ve written in half a year on here, and I'm taking a bit of time from midterm prep to write it with the hope it could in some way be helpful. At the very least I hope you do feel cared about through the giving of time and prayer.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

pantingdeer

Jun 19, 2016
United Kingdom
✟101,884.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I believe everyone who has contributed to this thread has the sincere intent of being supportive to you, but we have divergent perspectives on how to best do so.

Though you and I have rarely interacted with one another, for years I have read your threads where you've chronicled your struggles, and your palpable loneliness and sense of despair made my heart ache. I felt unequipped to offer you any meaningful practical advice but I did earnestly pray for you. This past spring when you detailed in the College Life section how you sit alone in classes and feel ostracized by your classmates whom you fear perceive you as weird and awkward and who never extend invitations to you, I prayed for you and your desire for social inclusion and friendship. Quite literally what I prayed for after reading that thread is what you've described in this one, that you have a classmate who sees goodness in you, has chosen to sit by you, and is offering the opportunity for you to form a friendship and constructively work together in a group. I’m saddened that instead of this feeling like a boon to you it’s a source of consternation, but I think I do understand why, and I’m not intending to come across as being critical of you. I do feel it necessary to once again state that nothing that you've described of his behavior is what I'd quantify as abnormal, and certainly not with such vehement derogation as "creepy" or "verging on harassment." I do get why you feel validated when someone such as the person you were addressing in the post I quoted swoops in to vigorously insist that your perceptions are fully correct, to join you in your forceful condemnation of him, and to aggressively swat back at everyone else who has even a whiff of contrary opinion, because of course that would feel satisfying, but I in all honesty do not think that's to your long-term benefit. If someone with an eating disorder who is clinically underweight was adamant she needed to go on a restrictive diet, it’s doubtful you’d see the person affirming her assessment and squabbling with those who tried to persuade her otherwise as providing the best support for her overall health. I know that I'm likely not capable of convincing you to see your classmate’s actions through another lens, so that is why I simply urged you to treat him with the spirit of grace and charity, which is for the benefit of you both. He is a person who also has feelings.

I feel you've aided me in having more compassion towards a couple of guys in my personal life despite you and I having never met, so I do feel obliged to offer my thanks. It is because of your posts here that I learned about HOCD and was able to recognize the symptoms of it in a friend who reached out to me distraught - emotionally, mentally, and physically exhausted. It siphoned off his joy, his ability to concentrate on his school work, obligations, or family; to feel at peace while at church or with his family; to tame the thoughts feuding in his mind and sleep soundly; and incapacitated him from forming any friendships because he was constantly preoccupied with worries about his sexuality Like you, he's very intelligent and excels at math. He told me he finds a comfort in focusing on math because it doesn't intel any interpersonal analysis, it’s a retreat from people. He grew up in a Catholic family that has extremely negative views of homosexuality, and though he is actually heterosexual he expends enormous amounts of mental energy obsessing over his reactions to all men, from baseball players and male celebrities he'll never interact with in person to his classmates and teachers, to agonize over whether there's any part of him that could be gay. He also chronicles all nuances and body language of other men to scrutinize any trait that could be construed as homosexual. When he was 15 he began to have such frequent mental turmoil while attending his all-boys Jesuit school he switched to an online high school, which is where we became classmates. Even there where we engaged via webcams and text, he analyzed his classmate's actions and his own reactions to them, and rebuffed offers of friendship. He only interacts with other guys socially via video games. Even with girls it's been challenging because he is perpetually examining his level of attraction towards them. He "tests" himself by staring at pictures and trying to dissect his reactions. He bluntly told me he’d spent hours looking over my Instagram pictures of a beach weekend with friends and felt very troubled because he only found me and one other girl attractive, but we were both “flat chested” (haha, he wasn’t even trying to be insulting) and lacking womanly curves so he feared that meant he’d never find women to be desirable. Anytime someone has made an attempt to proffer kindness and friendship, he has mentally catalogued their quirks and personality and put them under a figurative microscope to analyze and obsess over. It’s both a cause of distress and a comfort to him to find reasons to push that person back instead of to proceed forward. He has finally been able to reclaim some peacefulness and joy by going through cognitive behavioral therapy specifically designed for treating OCD. He is now living on campus, on an all-male floor, feeling more confident in his own heterosexuality, and having normal interactions.

You also have made a genuine difference in how I treat my cousin who is my age and lives with my family. I am in college but must live at home because of an endocrine condition that requires multiple shots a day I have difficulty self-administrating. He does not have OCD but has other traits in common with you. I actually showed my dad a thread you wrote about how your dad turns off the hot water tank after your showers have exceeded 15 minutes because it drives me bonkers that on a daily basis my cousin takes excessively long showers in the bathroom connecting our bedrooms. This lead to my dad showing me a study by Yale of how it's not unusual for people who feel acutely lonely to take lengthy showers, to subconsciously use the warmth and touch of the hot water as a way to be comforted by the lack of social warmth and physical embrace. I literally think of this every. single. day. as he is in there to stop myself from starting the ignition of my annoyance. My dad told me it's not just my actual actions towards my cousin that matter, but the negativity about him festering in my own mind. Just as the physical repetitions of an exercise strengthens your actual heart, leading to tolerance and endurance, the repetition of exercising your tolerance, compassion, and grace can strengthen your spiritual heart. The fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, is nourishing to ourselves as well as being a healthy precept for how to treat others and not diminish our ability to witness.

This is a lengthy post, the longest I’ve written in half a year on here, and I'm taking a bit of time from midterm prep to write it with the hope it could in some way be helpful. At the very least I hope you do feel cared about through the giving of time and prayer.
You writing this to me is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I find it quite amazing how someone has followed me on here for years and silently wished good things for me - this means a lot.
I still am very uncomfortable by this person. I am close to certain they are gay and the way they act near me stirs up awful thoughts in my mind that have destroyed me mentally for 5 years. Me going out for lunch with him would make me extremely worried that people would think we were ‘together’ and also it would feel like a mental cue to me accepting homosexuality when I know deep down it isn’t true. I will continue to be nice to this person but I will not go out for lunch with them alone. It isn’t possible.

I’m really glad me talking about HOCD was of use to you. My experience is basically identical to your friend For a person that has Christian faith it is especially soul destroying. I can never tell anyone within my family as some of them say things like “filthy homosexual” when they see one on television. I can never tell anyone outside of my family as they wouldn’t believe me and would say I’m in the closet which would make me feel even worse as I have to keep a strong mind reminding myself that I’m not. HOCD consumes my life everyday. If I’m at the gym I compare myself to every other male there and think of things that make me less masculine or I look in the mirror and check if I did something that looks gay. It’s gotten so bad I have never approached a girl in my life. I feel like she has one life so she shouldn’t have to spend it with me. I also never feel strong feelings for women like I did when I was 16 before my feelings for everything died. So my mind would tell me “I’m pretending to feel things” if I approached a girl (not that anyone is interested in me anyway). I hope I can find help in this like your cousin.
Regarding friends, my life is like a rollercoaster. My opinion in my mind about people can change in a matter of hours. Someone could have helped me with a homework or something but later on if I decide to message them and they read it but don’t reply I instantly feel very negatively about this person. There is no constant feelings that I like people or constant feelings that I think people like me. Even yesterday I went to a party and brought a birthday present. I never received a message to say thank you yet and so I’ve had angry thoughts in my head about this person opening my present and being ungrateful.

About university again It’s good to see your cousin is interested in maths (he’s sounds a lot like me). Maths opens a lot of doors for a career.
I am still studying maths in college and even thought it is my God-given talent I lost my interest in it like a lot of things after HOCD came about. I won multiple prizes including money prizes but didn’t even feel happy that I won - you’re the first person I told apart from my immediate family about my prize. It makes me feel directionless but my mother tells me to keep going as it’s what God put in my hand. Maybe one day I can get a job with my major.

This has been quite a lengthy reply and I’ve got sort of lost I these words. I appreciate your kind message to me a lot.

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,556.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You writing this to me is probably the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me. I find it quite amazing how someone has followed me on here for years and silently wished good things for me - this means a lot.
I still am very uncomfortable by this person. I am close to certain they are gay and the way they act near me stirs up awful thoughts in my mind that have destroyed me mentally for 5 years. Me going out for lunch with him would make me extremely worried that people would think we were ‘together’ and also it would feel like a mental cue to me accepting homosexuality when I know deep down it isn’t true. I will continue to be nice to this person but I will not go out for lunch with them alone. It isn’t possible.

I’m really glad me talking about HOCD was of use to you. My experience is basically identical to your friend For a person that has Christian faith it is especially soul destroying. I can never tell anyone within my family as some of them say things like “filthy homosexual” when they see one on television. I can never tell anyone outside of my family as they wouldn’t believe me and would say I’m in the closet which would make me feel even worse as I have to keep a strong mind reminding myself that I’m not. HOCD consumes my life everyday. If I’m at the gym I compare myself to every other male there and think of things that make me less masculine or I look in the mirror and check if I did something that looks gay. It’s gotten so bad I have never approached a girl in my life. I feel like she has one life so she shouldn’t have to spend it with me. I also never feel strong feelings for women like I did when I was 16 before my feelings for everything died. So my mind would tell me “I’m pretending to feel things” if I approached a girl (not that anyone is interested in me anyway). I hope I can find help in this like your cousin.
Regarding friends, my life is like a rollercoaster. My opinion in my mind about people can change in a matter of hours. Someone could have helped me with a homework or something but later on if I decide to message them and they read it but don’t reply I instantly feel very negatively about this person. There is no constant feelings that I like people or constant feelings that I think people like me. Even yesterday I went to a party and brought a birthday present. I never received a message to say thank you yet and so I’ve had angry thoughts in my head about this person opening my present and being ungrateful.

About university again It’s good to see your cousin is interested in maths (he’s sounds a lot like me). Maths opens a lot of doors for a career.
I am still studying maths in college and even thought it is my God-given talent I lost my interest in it like a lot of things after HOCD came about. I won multiple prizes including money prizes but didn’t even feel happy that I won - you’re the first person I told apart from my immediate family about my prize. It makes me feel directionless but my mother tells me to keep going as it’s what God put in my hand. Maybe one day I can get a job with my major.

This has been quite a lengthy reply and I’ve got sort of lost I these words. I appreciate your kind message to me a lot.

When Stanfordella decides to give advice or anything close to advice to another young person she takes the time to think it through and it is almost always very good advice. Good enough that if I would say something different I always rethink what I would say and usually modify what I say, if only slightly.

I started thinking about the gay people I have worked with over the years an from there back to my first job out of college. That was with Schlumberger in wireline engeneering. The training class I was in had about a dozen guys (no women). If you told someone that one of them was gay almost everyone would have picked the only married man in the group simply because he was different. People do that a lot.

The class part of our training was in Corpus Christi, Texas. A rather conservative area. Corpus was fair sized back then but not huge. Young engineers can be drinking guys and one night most of us decided to see if we could hit every bar in town. We stumbled into one gay bar along the way and bypassed another which had a name that made it obvious. I started thinking a bit and checked out your city. It ahs at least one gay bar. And the drinking age is 18. If the guy that concerns you so much was gay he would hunt there. (Come to think of it the one married guy was not in the group that went out drinking, something many would have seen as a sign of his gayness).

It sounds to me like the guy that creeps you out is pretty similar to you in many ways, just a little more outgoing or desperate.

I really have 2 pieces of advice. Don't be too sure of your conclusion he is gay and listen to the people here who are your own age. They live in the same world you do, everyone over 30 does not. And listen the most to those who have been in the same youth forums as you have. They know you the best.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has had a clean up. It is best to focus on how to help the OP deal with a situation and not focus on whether some person is a creep or not.

Upvote 0

EmSully2002

Oct 23, 2019
Rochester
✟7,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
This guy joined my class at school and was put into a group with me and one other person.
I quickly realised I don’t like this person at all and I think they’re creepy and weird. It’s pretty obvious that they are gay as well.
Well after just being polite to this person they won’t leave me alone. They sit near me in class and now even asking me out for lunch with them. I feel very uncomfortable around them as I’m not gay and they smile at me in a weird way and now they’re asking to go out for meals when I BARELY KNOW THEM.
In no scenario do I want to be with them, hang out with them and certainly not go to eat with them. They are weird and creepy and I feel extremely awkward in their presence.

Please help me get out of this situation.
are you uncomfortable with the fact that their gay? like is that one of your main problems with them? because it seems like they just want to be friends with you.

Upvote 0

Ada Lovelace

Grateful to scientists and all health care workers
Site Supporter
Jun 20, 2014
California
✟1,002,256.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Please know you have remained in my prayers, even if I'm not actively responding your threads here. :) I've been a bit stressed out lately and tunnel-focused on matters pertaining to my major (international policy) but I had a long run this morning where my thoughts returned to you. How are you feeling now? I'm unclear as to what capacity you were working with the classmate who is the subject of this thread topic, whether it was an ongoing group project with assignments still to be completed or if at this point you're merely in the same class.

Whatever the case with this specific person, it is likely that other classmates will provoke - in most instances inadvertently - similar feelings of distress and discomfort. I'm writing this specifically in regards to him but I'm hopeful it can be applicable in other contexts.

I think it could be valuable to separate how this classmate makes you feel, and how you label him and his actions. Your feelings belong to you. Others can dispute facts with you, or have a perspective that is in contrast to your own, but your heart only beats inside of your chest, and only you can feel what you feel.

How you describe other people becomes like labels you put onto them. Even if you’re not physically affixing a label to the person or verbalizing your characterization, in your mind it’s how you are categorizing him. That in turn impacts how you regard and treat that person, which can be detrimental to you both. If you’ve decided that he is a creep, then any future behavior of his, regardless of how benign it may actually be, is likely to be construed by you as creepy. That in turn is going to intensify your inner distress at being in the class with him.

Try to sort through the feelings and the labels like you’re making two piles for laundry. This goes here, that goes there. Use the same care you would to avoid having a red sock fall in with a pile of expensive white button-down shirts, like the sort you might wear one day after you've graduated and begun your career. The sock may be small but has the ability to discolor everything. A negative label on someone can similarly discolor your entire perception of him.

Put the basketful of labels out of sight for a while. Then take the one with the feelings, and go through a process similarly to throwing them in the wash, drying them, taking them out and sorting them properly. Don’t just let the feelings be tossed into a jumbled pile that goes unwashed and unorganized, taking up space and creating a tormenting odor in your brain. Pull each one out and examine. Wash away preconceived notions, such as a man who crosses his legs or invites you to grab lunch with him must be gay. Or that if he is, in fact gay, that mere friendliness implies any form of romantic interest in you. Homosexuality is not communicable, it's not a contagion, so being in the presence of someone who is gay will not change your own sexuality. Then air the feelings to dry in the bright sunlight of facts. Your feelings are valid but are likely clouded by your HOCD. Try to consider how someone else who doesn't have HOCD might feel in the same scenario. You and this one classmate aren't the only ones in that class. If he was truly a lecherous, predatory creep behaving inappropriately others would likely lodge a complaint, but nothing you've described here would warrant such a measure.

Then take feelings and see if they can be paired with any actions. Some feelings can't be paired with an action any more than you'd try to wear a sock on one foot and a pair of underwear on the other. Accept what you cannot change. This classmate has the right to be in the class with you. Future classmates and workmates that will similarly frustrate you will also be entitled to be in classes and offices with you. If you're still working on projects together, he has the right to want to organize the time outside of class to collaborate. This doesn't mean he can just dictate when and where you meet, so you do have the right to refuse to have lunch with him, and to set your own terms. Pair your feelings to the actions you can take. You mentioned that there's another person in the group with you, along with this classmate. So if the three of you have projects to be worked on (not sure if that's the case or not), then suggest arrangements for the three of you to meet in a place where you'd be comfortable. Be proactive. It's also your prerogative to not form any friendship with him or anyone else you're not interested in befriending, but it's for your benefit as much as it is his for you to still try your best to have a spirit of charity and kindness. Firmly decline invitations, but do so politely.

• Friendly
Upvote 0