1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

How to prove that GOD exists from a scientific point of view?

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by JacquelineDeane55, Dec 28, 2019.

1. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+42,763
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Maybe if people took blasphemy more seriously, this country wouldn't be in the shape it is in?

2. partinobodycular

partinobodycular Well-Known Member

+514
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    Islam seems to take blasphemy very seriously, perhaps we should all become Muslims.

On second thought maybe you're right, Christ was trying to teach us intolerance.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  3. AV1611VET

+42,763
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Knock yourself out.

It's a free country.

If convert-or-die or fight-or-flight appeals to you more than love-thine-enemies -- go for it.

Just try and understand -- if you can -- if we consider you a "mission field."
    I was never right in that respect.

4. partinobodycular

+514
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    From my perspective they both seem to be preaching the same thing, convert or spend eternity in hell, I fail to see the difference. You're the one who seemed to be suggesting that a little less tolerance of blasphemy might be a good thing.

5. AV1611VET

+42,763
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    If you like the shape that this country is in, and you don't think any blasphemy is going on, I'd say you have a myopic view of things.

If you don't like the shape that this country is in, and you don't think it is because of blasphemy, I'd say you have a myopic view of things.

Bottom line: Maybe if people took blasphemy more seriously, this country wouldn't be in the shape it is in.

6. partinobodycular

+514
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    But I can't help but wonder, is it blasphemy that's the problem, or intolerance.

:( I think it's the latter. I think that it's people being intolerant of other people that's the problem.

So that leads me to ask, which do you think would garner the best results, Muslims becoming more tolerant, or Christians becoming less so?

7. AV1611VET

+42,763
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Blasphemy.
    Obviously Muslims becoming more tolerant would garner better results, since their convert-or-die religion would have to take a backseat to tolerance.

But you know as well as I do that that is not going to happen.

8. partinobodycular

+514
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    Unfortunately, when I look at America today it doesn't seem to be the Muslims who are becoming more intolerant...it's the Christians.

9. AV1611VET

+42,763
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    They can't become more intolerant, in my opinion.

You can't get more intolerant than convert-or-die, can you?

10. partinobodycular

+514
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    Well we're still here, so they've got that going for them. They must not be totally intolerant.

Besides, Christians still cling to that convert-or-die philosophy, they just delay the die part a bit.

11. AV1611VET

+42,763
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Ya ... good point.

They're not totally intolerant, are they?

[​IMG]

Only a couple towers out of ... how many around? :doh:

12. partinobodycular

+514
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    My point exactly, just a couple of buildings...it's not like they nuked a couple of cities.

13. AV1611VET

+42,763
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Can we get back to blasphemy now, and skip your tolerance sidetrack?

14. partinobodycular

+514
    United States
    Agnostic
    Single
    You know what, it's been fun, but why don't we just drop the whole thing entirely?

15. AV1611VET

+42,763
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Negative.

Maybe if people took blasphemy more seriously, this country wouldn't be in the shape it is in?

16. stevevw

stevevw inquisitive

+590
    Christian
    Private
    US and western jurisprudence has clearly been based and influenced on Christian principles. We can't just pretend they don't.

17. stevevw

stevevw inquisitive

+590
    Christian
    Private
    Then lets say the universe was at one stage without life and there were no living cells then how is this not new information. Does this mean that the information for intelligent life was already there from the very beginning.
    if consciousness is said to pervade and exist beyond the physical aspect of the universe then it has to add a new dimension. A dimension to reality beyond the physical. At least to what is currently thought as far as a materialist or view is concerned.

18. stevevw

stevevw inquisitive

+590
    Christian
    Private
    I think you have just identified the difference between a universe with consciousness and one without. We don't have to experience something to recognize that there would be a different kind of universe without consciousness. Because we are here now and we can contemplate that as rational beings. We can acknowledge that the experiences we have now in thinking of a universe without meaning would be not the same and we can acknowledge that it would be a great loss that we could not have those experiences.

I think its irrelevant that we cannot recognize this difference because in a universe without consciousness we could never acknowledge that because the fact is we are here and our universe has consciousness. We now know the difference because we have experienced one side of that possibility and we know that the opposing side will lack all that we experience now.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  19. stevevw

stevevw inquisitive

+590
    Christian
    Private
    But like some scientific ideas this is mute because we can never validate this because to experience a universe with no consciousness is impossible. As soon as we arrive to experience that universe its no longer a universe without consciousness.

So we have to go off what we know now. Otherwise we cannot even contemplate this which I think should not stop us from acknowledging certain aspects that should be the case in that universe like not having beings in it that can pose these scenarios in the first place.
    I thought I already explained that. So what about love. We could not have love in a universe without consciousness.

The point is evolution has produced something that can contemplate and enact these things which seem to go beyond evolution.

20. ruthiesea

ruthiesea Well-Known Member

+439
    Judaism
    Married
    Depends on what you consider to be blasphemous. I guarantee that some of the things that I find to be blasphemy you do not.