• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

How to prove that GOD exists from a scientific point of view?

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by JacquelineDeane55, Dec 28, 2019.

1. JacquelineDeane55

JacquelineDeane55 Newbie

+747
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Republican
    A Christian scientist a few years ago told me that GOD was beyond science so people had to approach HIM based upon faith, like, he is outside of space and time. GOD is an immaterial spirit, right?

Some people have used logic and science, including archaeology and math, to argue away the existence of GOD per say, but not all scientists are atheists. Some of them actually do believe in GOD.

Dad says that complexity of human DNA proves that there is an intelligent creator behind the existence of mankind. He points to that as evidence of GOD and of his faith.

Some of these university professors, who have PHDs and a lot of education under their belt, like to say that GOD does not exist because its not smart or something like that.

Well, I was born pretty smart (for a human) and I still believed anyway. So why does belief in God possibly make me stupid? It does not is what I am saying.

For someone who, unlike me, won't believe on their own and they need, like, science to try and help them find GOD, what should I say to them? Is there any scientific evidence to support GOD?

I don't think GOD can actually be found by science. Science deals strictly with the earthly realm, or with what can be seen visibly, so if one is going to find HIM they have to step outside of this world based upon faith.

So GOD is an immaterial spirit, meaning HE is not confined to what can be seen and measured, HE is beyond all of it. Therefore science is unable to either prove or disprove HIS existence. And it probably never will prove HIS existence anyway.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. pitabread

pitabread Well-Known Member

+8,089
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Science works by using the idea of an objective universe to test ideas. You can't test a supernatural being in that same fashion, hence no scientific claims involving anything supernatural can have any meaning.

This is also why you see so many contradictory ideas in creationism; there is no way to test such ideas, thus no way to distinguish which ideas are correct.

[citation needed]

3. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+2,484
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    May I suggest two things.
    1. To ask them what evidence would they accept as evidence that there is a God?

There is no point beating your head against a brick wall trying to demonstrate it is reasonable to believe in God, if they either will not believe or there requirements for evidence are unreasonable.

2. Ask them to explain how the universe began. Why science, logic and maths work? For there explanation for 'good and evil'?
    Most people do not have reasonable explanations for these, they just assume science has an answer or because it works that is good enough.
    Put them on the spot, their world view has to provide a reasonable explanation for these things or they have to say why they are believing what is unreasonable.

4. FrumiousBandersnatch

FrumiousBandersnatch Well-Known Member

+4,668
    Atheist
    Not having an explanation for something doesn't mean that you are therefore believing something unreasonable, and no-one's world view has to provide a reasonable explanation for those things - as you said, if it works that is good enough for most people.

There are reasonable explanations for all those things, but we may never know if we have the correct explanation for some.

5. Tolworth John

Tolworth John Well-Known Member

+2,484
    United Kingdom
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Except there are reasonable Christian explanations and there are no reasonable scientific explanations.
    Yes one does not have to believe them.
    But to hold to an unreasonable explanation while also calling the alternative unreasonable is simple foolishness.

6. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+694
    Atheist
    Private
    What is reasonable is subjective; just because you might find it reasonable doesn't mean someone else will
    Science does not provide answers to everything, there is much science does not know
    But to admit to not having an answer yet still reject yours is an honest, and perfectly reasonable position to take.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. SelfSim

SelfSim A non "-ist"

+612
    Humanist
    Private
    What do you mean by 'correct explanation'?
    That sounds unreasonable to me, especially when its context is conditioned upon 'we may never know'(?)

8. pitabread

+8,089
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    Example?

9. SelfSim

SelfSim A non "-ist"

+612
    Humanist
    Private
    When these 'reasonable Christian explanations' are dependent on beliefs, science can ignore them (but not reject them) on the basis of objective untestability.

I personally think the funadamental Atheistic belief then eagerly jumps in, thence producing the 'rejection'(?) .. but this position is not a scientific one. Athesim is optional .. as is Christianity because they're both belief based.

Informed (reasoned) beliefs are still beliefs .. They usually appear in response to unscientifically formed questions.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  10. SelfSim

SelfSim A non "-ist"

+612
    Humanist
    Private
    Chasing beliefs, eh?

11. dad

dad Undefeated! Supporter

+1,218
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    Correct

12. FrumiousBandersnatch

+4,668
    Atheist
    As Ken suggests, what is reasonable and what is foolishness is a matter of opinion and judgement.

But to claim that an explanation is unreasonable without hearing it seems unreasonable in itself - but let's see how it works in practice - please explain why the current scientific explanations are not reasonable.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  13. FrumiousBandersnatch

+4,668
    Atheist
    An explanation that is in accordance with the facts and has no mistakes.

14. SelfSim

SelfSim A non "-ist"

+612
    Humanist
    Private
    Scientific explanations are now subject to Absolutism?
    So we may never know the explanation, but nonetheless you are confident that there are facts in order for it to accord with?

15. Strathos

Strathos No one important

+3,309
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Short answer: You can't, nor should you try to.

16. dad

dad Undefeated! Supporter

+1,218
    Canada
    Christian
    Private
    The facts you are aware of may not constitute the bulk of facts.

17. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+743
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    The existence of God can be approached, or dealt with the same as any other assumption of science. So far, First Cause is the ONLY viable explanation for existence. We can't prove it to the satisfaction of those who don't want to believe it, but it does make sense. Many scientific pursuits have been based on weaker reason.

18. pitabread

+8,089
    Canada
    Agnostic
    Private
    In my experience (insofar as first cause arguments presented on this forum), first cause doesn't proffer any explanatory power for existence. Rather it just seems to unnecessarily complicate things.

19. Mark Quayle

Mark Quayle Well-Known Member Supporter

+743
    United States
    Reformed
    Widowed
    n
    It does complicate things for those who insist there is no more logical reason for First Cause to be With Intent, or of a personhood, or even intelligent, than there is for simply mechanical fact to be first cause, or for the Whole of Existence to be that first cause. (In fact some even like to claim infinite regression of cause can itself be considered first cause). These have all been answered and shown to be illogical, but I think this isn't the thread for it, if you wish to discuss it. Message me, if you would, should you take it up as its own thread.

20. Ken-1122

Ken-1122 Newbie

+694
    Atheist
    Private
    IMO the problem with the First Cause argument is that it claims there could only be one first cause dismissing the possibility of multiple, and it implies the first cause had to be more intelligent than everything that came after it.