✟25,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
First, try not to "lead" her.

A marriage is a partnership in life... while a husband has duties, he is to lead like Christ, yet the marriage as a whole is to reflect our covenant with God, one based on love, mercy, and forgiveness foremost.

This television watching you and your wife have different convictions on, which is natural. My husband has no issues watching some shows that I cannot tolerate...

But I don't tell him it's evil or unbiblical to watch them, he simply has different convictions than I do. So I request if he must watch them he do so when I'm not around, or watch on his computer where I can't hear and it doesn't negatively affect me.

Like Christ, you should lead by example, not force... be forgiving and loving, explaining why these shows bother you then make some suggestions on what you both can do to respect the others' feelings.

We all aren't in the same place in our walk with Christ, and won't always react the same to the same situations...even when we're married. But we can have the consideration and love our spouses need...

So she has no conviction in this area. Then be the example; decide what you can tolerate around you, then work it out so she can still walk her own walk with Christ, being there for her as the example in love. Be something to emulate, not a dictator.
That’s interesting. My wife says the same exact think about different convictions. I don’t mean poopoo you at all but I hear that we have different convictions but for me, it seems like as Christians, we don’t have room for different convictions. Like what I mean is that how can the Spirit give us different convictions if God is it a God of confusion? I feel like this is the hard part because I can’t argue with her that she does have a different conviction but at the same time I’m thinking in my head “if you’re a Christian and the Spirit is indeed living in you, then you should have a Biblical conviction about this tv show or song based on scripture not what your conscience is telling you”. For example even in myself, there are plenty of things that I would love to enjoy in this life but I know that I shouldn’t because I know it’s sinful. But as I am typing this it is coming to me mind that God has grown me in my convictions. My convictions today certainly aren’t the ones they were last year or even last month.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,408.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Like what I mean is that how can the Spirit give us different convictions if God is it a God of confusion?

God takes us where we are, and causes us to grow in the faith.

The confusion your thinking isn't confusion at all... it's simply being at different places in our walk with Christ.

I have an Islamic background, and have only been saved 6 years now. My husband on the other hand has been saved over 30 years. What God does with me, he may not need to do with my husband... what God does with my husband, May not need to apply with me, right now.

Following Christ isn't a list of rules to follow like in Islam, it's a heart place, a reconciliation to God and that relationship we were created to be in.

Does law apply? Yes... but it's not necessarily applied identically with all people. The greatest commandments are to love the Lord our God with all our mind, heart, and strength, and the second is to love our neighbor as ourselves.

Everything flows out of that, every rule, every law, every thought comes from those two.

Is "x" activity an idol in your life? For you and your wife that answer truly may be yes for one of you and and no for the other...

It's NOT about confusion, but it IS a heart space where not everyone is or will be identical... and each will be judged in his own measure...

When you and your wife both can recognize that, it will greatly help both of you with issues like this in your marriage. She will be more conducive to helping avoid placing obstacles in your path, and you will be better at not placing different obstacles in hers.

My husband has been amazing at giving God the room He needs to work in my life...and I've done nothing but benefit from his just being there, and understanding and helping when I need it. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0