goat who dreamed he was a sheep
Mar 28, 2010
✟9,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Move to a seminary town. ;)

My experience has taught me not to worry about it and it will happen if you focus on God. I literally made a vow to God that I would never again place anyone before Him and within a week I met the woman I married (15 years this past June). Look for a guy who has been hurt but not too badly that he can't care. If he's the one just love him the best you can and let Christ hold you together.

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ask him if he watches Jersey Shore, likes the Oakland Raiders or Los Angeles Dodgers, approves of gay marriage or abortion, if he likes the new Star Trek movie reboot disgrace that came out a few years ago, if he distrusts organized religion, if he smokes, if he hates comic books, if he likes the taste of Spam, if he likes Kiss better without their makeup, watches American Idol or the LOGO channel. If he says yes to any, drop him.

That's just Gurney's advice...:p

Reactions: Macarius
Upvote 0

Daughter of Ararat

Yeshua's Rose of Hayastan
May 4, 2010
✟9,539.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Visit a monastery (and get to know them, and let them get to know you) and ask the abbot if there are any good men who are looking for a good wife.
Don't they make some sort of pledge of celibacy or something? Is this different than for Catholics?

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Don't they make some sort of pledge of celibacy or something? Is this different than for Catholics?

He's not meaning the monks, he's meaning single guys who are good men who visit the monastery regularly, so they know the guy is a good guy and in good standing. :)

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

He's not meaning the monks, he's meaning single guys who are good men who visit the monastery regularly, so they know the guy is a good guy and in good standing. :)

Indeed.

Many lay people visit monasteries, and some of them visit quite regularly. The abbots of those monasteries tend to get to know most of them, and many of them also use the monastery as a place to find a pious spouse.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Pray with your eyes shut.

By that I mean don't actively search for a man, but keep your focus on God and He'll deliver one to you at the proper time.
(at least that's what I was told about finding a good woman by a 70-something Greek yia-yia)

Upvote 0

Daughter of Ararat

Yeshua's Rose of Hayastan
May 4, 2010
✟9,539.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
You can also just start going to church regularly. See who is also coming regularly, on Sundays and vigils.

M.
Many Armenians around my age do not attend church unless they are already married. I was thinking of visiting a couple other OO churches, but I want to be chrismated in the tradition that my family came from back in the day. I am farther from most other Armenian churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟435,670.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Visit a monastery (and get to know them, and let them get to know you) and ask the abbot if there are any good men who are looking for a good wife.
Don't forget Proverbs ch 31 from verse ten onward...

Upvote 0

Orthosdoxa

Happy wife and mommy
Feb 11, 2003
nowhere
✟24,016.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just look up my address.

Nice one! ;)

I found my soulmate at church. Definitely make church a priority (though hopefully this wouldn't be the main reason. ;)) I also think there's nothing wrong with looking around on internet sites, matchmaking things, etc. There's someone who doesn't post much here anymore who was wondering if she'd ever find someone. (I knew her from a different Orthodox site.) I suggested she come here, she did, and she met and married a guy from here and they have two kids.

I know someone who asked his bishop for help in finding a mate, and the bishop suggested someone who lived several states away. It worked though and they've been married many years now. Also, once you get established in a church, let the yia yia's know that you're open to meeting a good man. Yia yia's love to help. :)

GL!

Upvote 0

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nice one! ;)

I found my soulmate at church. Definitely make church a priority (though hopefully this wouldn't be the main reason. ;)) I also think there's nothing wrong with looking around on internet sites, matchmaking things, etc. There's someone who doesn't post much here anymore who was wondering if she'd ever find someone. (I knew her from a different Orthodox site.) I suggested she come here, she did, and she met and married a guy from here and they have two kids.

I know someone who asked his bishop for help in finding a mate, and the bishop suggested someone who lived several states away. It worked though and they've been married many years now. Also, once you get established in a church, let the yia yia's know that you're open to meeting a good man. Yia yia's love to help. :)

GL!

Wisdom! Let us attend!

Upvote 0