United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works,”
‭‭Hebrews‬ ‭10:24‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Another very simple question:

How do we stir up other believers to good works and love?

What I mean in a practical sense is if you know someone in your church or sphere of influence should be doing something good for the Lord but isn't, how can you encourage that person to do what they ought without condemning them?

*again not meant as a trap but a genuine discussion

Reactions: WilliamBo

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will go first on this for the following reason. I don't want this thread to become a gloat fest, but perhaps a place where someone who is struggling in their faith can read the responses given here and thereby be encouraged to step out themselves.

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What I mean in a practical sense is if you know someone in your church or sphere of influence should be doing something good for the Lord but isn't, how can you encourage that person to do what they ought without condemning them?

I think a good way to encourage people is spend time with them. I personally have been greatly encouraged by something as simple as a phone call. Hi brother, how are you, someone taking time out of their own lives to show genuine interest in another persons walk and lives goes a long long way. If that relationship is there you can include them as you do things like witness to people, bless a neighbor, donate time at a homeless shelter and so on. Volumes are spoken through actions, live by example.

John 3:18 My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

Upvote 0

Theadorus

Site Supporter
May 9, 2017
Colorado springs
✟124,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A great was to encourage other believers and help build their faith is by our sharing testimonies. Testimonies are a very powerful tool to help encourage other people. Take yours for example, you ran as far as you could away from God, but because of his overwhelming love for you he didn't just write you off, but rather, lovingly embraced you when you were at your lowest point in life and set you free. When people hear this, it not only blesses them, but they give praise and Glory to God for doing this. And not only that, it shows other believers (or unbeliever) the love God truly has for people, and let them know that if God can do that for you, then that means he'll also do that to them, or others as well.

That's why it's good for believers to share testimonies on healing. That way other believers can be encouraged, and that their faith can be built up in the area of healing. I'll use you as an example, but your healing testimonies confirmed something for me. Reading about when you prayed, and didn't see the instant manifestation of the healing, but still stood in faith that the healing would take place, encouraged me, and helped build up my faith towards believing for healing. God used what you said to confirm to me that just because you don't see an instant manifestation it doesn't mean it didn't work. "Expectation is they key" he said.

What you say may not seem like a big deal to you, but it can have a huge impact on someone elses life; what you say may be the life changing word someone needed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You ran as far as you could away from God, but because of his overwhelming love for you he didn't just write you off, but rather, lovingly embraced you when you were at your lowest point in life and set you free. When people hear this, it not only blesses them, but they give praise and Glory to God for doing this. And not only that, it shows other believers (or unbeliever) the love God truly has for people, and let them know that if God can do that for you, then that means he'll also do that to them, or others as well.

You know his testimony? @ByTheSpirit can I hear it? Sometimes I feel like I went about as far as you can go the other direction myself.

Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@DeerGlow I grew up in a small town in Southeast Kansas and from my earliest days I can remember being in church. I attended for most of my life a very decent sized Independent Fundamental Baptist Church (Cessasionist as well). As I grew up I from time to time would have visions or hear a voice telling me things about God and my church would tell me it isn't God so reject the things and seek the truth as found in the Word. Well I grew up in that mentality until I was 18. I gave my life to Jesus in that church, thinking He was calling me into the mission field. When I graduated high school though, things changed and I joined the US Army.

I was still a Soldier in the US Army currently serving in my 11th year. I have been to 3 combat tours in Iraq in 2003, 2007, 2010. Immediately after basic training, I fell away hard. I stopped attending church all together, well I did go once every blue moon, but it was more like an annual attendance, not monthly or weekly. I stopped reading my Bible and I still prayed for the most part, but not for anything but God give me this or that. Well after my last tour in Iraq after returning home I would sit in bed at night and just beg God to end me because I had no hope anymore. I would tell myself and my wife that I had nothing to live for (even with 2 beautiful children) and would say things like "How many billions of people have ever lived and been remembered ever?" I didn't quite know that I had begun to slip into PTSD, depression, and severe anxiety.

My work suffered tremendously, my home life was non existant, I just had nothing. I eventually started to get suicidal ideations and intentions, going so far one time as to poke myself (not through the skin) many times with a knife to prepare myself for what would come. I was unfaithful with my wife, and even chose for about a week to live out of my car instead of at home. I was a wreck. Many doctors, therapists, and medicines couldn't help me and I just got worse. This continued from about August of 2010 through January 2011.

Then one day in January, 2011, I was in a small gas station/convenience store getting some milk for my children. Now remember I had not been in a church for years nor had I read my Bible in about the same time. When I was ready to checkout I began heading to the cashier when I heard a voice behind me say, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths." So I'm looking around trying to figure out who is talking to me, and to my surprise there is NO ONE there, I'm the only one in the store minus the cashier clerk. So I shrug it off as being crazy still and continued towards the counter when the voice came back but in a bit different manner, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart.... Bryan are you trusting me? and do not lean on your own understanding.... Bryan you thought you had it all down and didn't need anyone, especially Me, to help you, look at where you are now. In all your ways acknowledge Me! And I will make straight your paths.... Bryan if you turn back to Me I will forgive you and I will heal you!" Then He went silent.

Well after a moment of taking in what just happened, I realize that Jesus has just spoken to me, as a man talks with a man. Why Lord why do you love me so? I have been so horrible to You! I have abandoned You! Then He said again, Trust in Me! So I said, Lord, You are right. I am sorry for all my sins, I turn back to You Jesus so You may use me. Forgive me Lord.

BOOM! INSTANTLY, I felt as if the weight of the world was off my shoulders! I could swear multiple spirits came out of me! HALLELUJAH!!!! I screamed, Jesus is Lord! My Jesus healed me and set me free! No words of mine can ever express the joy and overwhelming feeling I get every time I speak of that day. I had nothing, I had lost even the most basic human feelings and emotions, but Jesus made a way! Thank you for listening to my story and I pray that the Lord of all glory would reveal Himself to you in like manner and may we all walk worthy of Him!

All glory, honor, and praise to Him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by His blood! Amen!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
@DeerGlow I grew up in a small town in Southeast Kansas and from my earliest days I can remember being in church. I attended for most of my life a very decent sized Independent Fundamental Baptist Church (Cessasionist as well). As I grew up I from time to time would have visions or hear a voice telling me things about God and my church would tell me it isn't God so reject the things and seek the truth as found in the Word. Well I grew up in that mentality until I was 18. I gave my life to Jesus in that church, thinking He was calling me into the mission field. When I graduated high school though, things changed and I joined the US Army.

I am still a Soldier in the US Army currently serving in my 11th year. I have been to 3 combat tours in Iraq in 2003, 2007, 2010. Immediately after basic training, I fell away hard. I stopped attending church all together, well I did go once every blue moon, but it was more like an annual attendance, not monthly or weekly. I stopped reading my Bible and I still prayed for the most part, but not for anything but God give me this or that. Well after my last tour in Iraq after returning home I would sit in bed at night and just beg God to end me because I had no hope anymore. I would tell myself and my wife that I had nothing to live for (even with 2 beautiful children) and would say things like "How many billions of people have ever lived and been remembered ever?" I didn't quite know that I had begun to slip into PTSD, depression, and severe anxiety.

My work suffered tremendously, my home life was non existant, I just had nothing. I eventually started to get suicidal ideations and intentions, going so far one time as to poke myself (not through the skin) many times with a knife to prepare myself for what would come. I was unfaithful with my wife, and even chose for about a week to live out of my car instead of at home. I was a wreck. Many doctors, therapists, and medicines couldn't help me and I just got worse. This continued from about August of 2010 through January 2011.

Then one day in January, 2011, I was in a small gas station/convenience store getting some milk for my children. Now remember I had not been in a church for years nor had I read my Bible in about the same time. When I was ready to checkout I began heading to the cashier when I heard a voice behind me say, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths." So I'm looking around trying to figure out who is talking to me, and to my surprise there is NO ONE there, I'm the only one in the store minus the cashier clerk. So I shrug it off as being crazy still and continued towards the counter when the voice came back but in a bit different manner, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart.... Bryan are you trusting me? and do not lean on your own understanding.... Bryan you thought you had it all down and didn't need anyone, especially Me, to help you, look at where you are now. In all your ways acknowledge Me! And I will make straight your paths.... Bryan if you turn back to Me I will forgive you and I will heal you!" Then He went silent.

Well after a moment of taking in what just happened, I realize that Jesus has just spoken to me, as a man talks with a man. Why Lord why do you love me so? I have been so horrible to You! I have abandoned You! Then He said again, Trust in Me! So I said, Lord, You are right. I am sorry for all my sins, I turn back to You Jesus so You may use me. Forgive me Lord.

BOOM! INSTANTLY, I felt as if the weight of the world was off my shoulders! I could swear multiple spirits came out of me! HALLELUJAH!!!! I screamed, Jesus is Lord! My Jesus healed me and set me free! No words of mine can ever express the joy and overwhelming feeling I get every time I speak of that day. I had nothing, I had lost even the most basic human feelings and emotions, but Jesus made a way! Thank you for listening to my story and I pray that the Lord of all glory would reveal Himself to you in like manner and may we all walk worthy of Him!

All glory, honor, and praise to Him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by His blood! Amen!
:hug: Thank you for telling me that. :)

• Agree
Reactions: WilliamBo
Upvote 0

mcarmichael

Novice
Sep 8, 2014
✟56,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

That's not the same way that I would use the verb, "encourage".
What you're describing sounds more like cheer-leading.

I guess a lot depends upon the context, though.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I was still a Soldier in the US Army currently serving in my 11th year. I have been to 3 combat tours in Iraq in 2003, 2007, 2010. Immediately after basic training, I fell away hard. I stopped attending church all together, well I did go once every blue moon, but it was more like an annual attendance, not monthly or weekly. I stopped reading my Bible and I still prayed for the most part, but not for anything but God give me this or that. Well after my last tour in Iraq after returning home I would sit in bed at night and just beg God to end me because I had no hope anymore. I would tell myself and my wife that I had nothing to live for (even with 2 beautiful children) and would say things like "How many billions of people have ever lived and been remembered ever?" I didn't quite know that I had begun to slip into PTSD, depression, and severe anxiety.

That is a truly humbling testimony. God Bless you brother. It is so awesome, Jesus came to you where you were and HE is FAITHFUL.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
How to encourage?

What comes to mind for me is not kicking a brother or sister when they're down. Well that's a given, isn't it? Yet it happens, doesn't it?

What also comes to mind is the reminder that God, our God of ALL Comfort, comforts and encourages us so that we can do the same for our brothers and sisters in Christ and all who are in dire need of encouragement and hope.

It's part of the love He sheds in our hearts (puts there) that there is even able to be empathy and compassion for others who are suffering or in need of encouragement.

"Who comforteth us in all our tribulation, that we may be able to comfort them which are in any trouble, by the comfort wherewith we ourselves are comforted of God." ~II Corinthians 1:4

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Exactly! Too many times Christian "encouragement" becomes a condemnation party where the one needing encouraged is beat down for a variety of reasons.

Sometimes we need a little tough love (for lack of a better word) from others but some people go overboard with it. :( On the other side some people gloss over distressed people's problems and they end up feeling ignored on top of the original problem.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sometimes we need a little tough love (for lack of a better word) from others but some people go overboard with it. :( On the other side some people gloss over distressed people's problems and they end up feeling ignored on top of the original problem.

I agree and as you said people can go overboard. There is a fine line between being too soft and being too hard. If you had to choose, which is better? Being too soft or being too hard?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeerGlow

Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I agree and as you said people can go overboard. There is a fine line between being too soft and being too hard. If you had to choose, which is better? Being too soft or being too hard?
I don't know if there is a better.... both can end up discouraging the person.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I don't know if there is a better.... both can end up discouraging the person.
How about the way, Jesus - "are you tired, worn out on religion(life?),
come to Me, and learn of Me, for I AM MEEK and HUMBLE of SPIRIT,
and I WILL NURTURE your soul,(and give peace to your mind and spirit; true peace that no one can take away).... "
Jesus' Way,
Healing, Comforting, from the inside out.... as we learn He is Trustworthy when all men are bad.

Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Personally I don't think it is our business to concern ourselves about what others do or don't do for the Lord. Our job is to love God and to allow Him to love others through us. Leading by example, but without boasting or self-righteous grand standing, is generally the best encouragement for others to do good.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Personally I don't think it is our business to concern ourselves about what others do or don't do for the Lord.
That's true for most people on earth,
but not for the people called and chosen and set apart by God through faith in Jesus Name.
God gives wonderful and specific instructions, yet even without TORAH,
God writes on His People's Hearts His Instructions for life, and guides us / His Sheep Hear His Voice....
changing the lives of others very dramatically - bringing healing and good news where there was just pain and sorrow and grief before.

Upvote 0