How should Christians respond in the face of apparent sin?

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's a questions that I've been debating within myself. How should a Christian react to the flagrant and blatant sin of an unbeliever?
Depends on the circumstance.

1. Suppose you're just walking down the street and you see a couple of strangers committing a homosexual act.
Depends on the act. If it's an act they could be legally arrested for while doing it in public, I consider calling the cops. If it's not, I walk on by and pray for them.

"Let a man meet a she-bear robbed of her cubs rather than a fool in his folly." - Prov 17:12

2. Suppose that you have a friend who openly lusts after women. And tries to converse with you about it in a way to get you to join in.
Depends on what he's asking me, really. Most of the time it's a twist on who I think is attractive, so I can answer that within Christian boundaries. By not going past those boundaries, there is a chance of inflicting a guilt trip on him or possibly redirecting the conversation.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It's a questions that I've been debating within myself. How should a Christian react to the flagrant and blatant sin of an unbeliever? Perhaps some of you have insight along with scripture or personal experience.

Let me give you some scenarios to further illustrate my questions:

1. Suppose you're just walking down the street and you see a couple of strangers committing a homosexual act.
-Do you just ignore them and keep walking.
-Do you give them a glance of disapproval.
-Do you openly rebuke them?
-Do you ignore them personally but pray for them
-Or do you have an alternative response?

2. Suppose that you have a friend who openly lusts after women. And tries to converse with you about it in a way to get you to join in.
-Do you just ignore him and change the subject.
-Do you rebuke him
-Do you not rebuke him, but explain to him your point of view.

There are other possible scenarios that I give, but my main question is. How should a Christian respond to the blatant sin of an unbeliever. What does God command and what is our duty before Him?

Thank you.
Alex
I'd say just pray and let them observe your life as a witness unto Jesus (unless one is preaching to them). I used to work with "such people" at Kroger. They actually seemed to like my opinions on such matters and hopefully received the Lord as well. Peace in Christ :)

Upvote 0

MareZee61

Oct 24, 2017
Midwest
✟16,220.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a truly difficult situation, how does one react when confronted with something that goes against what we believe- in my case, it would be the gay scenario- I have a grown daughter (30) who identifies as gay, and she is married - legally, actually - to another woman, who is in the process of physically becoming transgender. They have been together for quite a few years, and this was extremely difficult for me- as it was for the other female's father, I understand (i've never met him, they live out of state). This was a very, very delicate situation for me because I love my daughter to bits, as I love all of my kids...I have six grown...she knew how I felt about homosexuality, that I think it's wrong, unbiblical, etc.- there was never any doubt that she knew this, and she nailed me to the wall pretty good when she asked me if I condemned her, her partner, did I still feel the same about her, etc. etc.- it was difficult, I honestly didn't know what to do- and then I thought about how Jesus was when he would hang out with people that were considered not to be the type people of the day would want to hang out, like the tax collectors, etc.- although I don't see that as the same thing these days, but...I thought about how Jesus loved. He just loved. He didn't condone...an example would be the adulteress when He told her to go and sin no more. "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". He didn't condone what she did, but he loved anyway. This is so difficult to do, to put into practice- I told my daughter that although I didn't approve of the whole gay situation, I loved her, I cared for her partner, and that I wasn't going to sit in judgment...but she knew how I felt about it. I don't want to judge...I don't want to say it's ok, because it isn't, to me- but I don't want to sit in judgment because this is the ruler that will be used to judge me, someday. I want to be compassionate, and to love, and accept- without accepting the sin, and I let her know that. My own idea about it, is compassion is the name of the game. We have all sinned, and we're all saved by the great love and compassion that Jesus showed when he died on the cross for every single one of those sins. You know....faith, hope, love, and the greatest of these is love, lol.

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's a questions that I've been debating within myself. How should a Christian react to the flagrant and blatant sin of an unbeliever? Perhaps some of you have insight along with scripture or personal experience.

-Do you rebuke him

There are other possible scenarios that I give, but my main question is. How should a Christian respond to the blatant sin of an unbeliever. What does God command and what is our duty before Him?

Thank you.
Alex
You sin.
1 Kings chapter 8 verse 46
"When they sin against you--for there is no one who does not sin--and you become angry with them and give them over to their enemies, who take them captive to their own lands, far away or near;
2 Chronicles chapter 6 verse 36
"When they sin against you--for there is no one who does not sin--and you become angry with them and give them over to the enemy, who takes them captive to a land far away or near;
Ecclesiastes chapter 7 verse 20
Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins.
1 John chapter 1 verse 8
If anyone claims to be without sin they deceive themselves and the truth is not in them.

Proverbs chapter 10 verse 12
Love covers all wrongs.

1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers a great many sins.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We know that who ever does not believe in Jesus.. has been judged already. I guess its how you look at it. Amazing grace.. I once was lost but now I'm found. I don't judge them nor condemn.. there just lost.. I help show them the way out. Just share with them about the love a GOD has for them. They don't sin against me :)

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed

What do you do when just walking down the street and you see a couple of strangers committing a heterosexual act?

Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

-Do you rebuke him

Thank you.
Alex

Colossians 4:5-6
"Walk in wisdom toward outsiders, making the best use of the time.
Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may
know how you ought to answer each person."

1 Corinthians 5:9-13
"I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—
not at all meaning the sexually immoral of this world, or the greedy and
swindlers, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world.
But now I am writing to you not to associate with anyone who bears the name of brother if he is guilty of sexual immorality or greed, or is an idolater, reviler, drunkard, or swindler—not even to eat with such a one.
For what have I to do with judging outsiders?
Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge?
God judges those outside."
“Purge the evil person from among you.”

2 Timothy 2:24-26
"And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, correcting his opponents with gentleness.
God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will."

Chapter 10 of Romans... Bible Gateway passage: Romans 10 - Holman Christian Standard Bible

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear AlexanderLewis. In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: " The first and great Commandment is: Love God with all thy heart, with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. The second is like it, love thy neighbour as thyself. Short and easy to understand and try to follow. God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters. Jesus is the WAY, Jesus died that we might live. The Bible tells us what to do: Love God with all thy heart, soul and mind, and love thy neighbour as thyself." In verse 40 we are told: On these two Commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets. God wants us to Love God, and love our neighbour as we love ourselves. We have to give up all selfish and unloving words and deeds, Jesus died for us, now let us live for God and for each other. Love overcomes all bad behaviour, and love will ALWAYS help and win every argument. God will see our loving and caring, and God will BLESS us greatly.
Let us ask for Love: Matthew 7_7-10: and thank God and share all love with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet. Why not try it, Alexander. Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

-Do you rebuke him

Thank you.
Alex
The first thing I would do is consider that, I too, was a "sinner" and only came to the knowledge of God through grace, and by no work of my own.

With this in mind, I was treat them the same way I would want to be treated myself....knowing that my actions toward them is a blueprint, of my own creation, for the actions i will receive toward myself in the future.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by condemn? Is it not the responsibility of a believer to rebuke those who sin?

"Ezekiel 33:8 When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand."

2 Timothy 4:2 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
Within the church, yes.

Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends on the circumstance.

Depends on the act. If it's an act they could be legally arrested for while doing it in public, I consider calling the cops. If it's not, I walk on by and pray for them.

"Let a man meet a she-bear robbed of her cubs rather than a fool in his folly." - Prov 17:12

Depends on what he's asking me, really. Most of the time it's a twist on who I think is attractive, so I can answer that within Christian boundaries. By not going past those boundaries, there is a chance of inflicting a guilt trip on him or possibly redirecting the conversation.
About 20 years ago I was driving my rented Trans Am convertible through Napa with four of my male local relatives in the car with me. We are all married. It was a beautiful day and as we are driving, we pass this extremely attractive young woman in a very revealing top and hot-pants like shorts. My cousins did everything but cat-call, and there may even have been something yelled from the car. I simply didn't participate and said something like, "c'mon guys, we have wives." and left it at that.

To be clear, if they were members of my church, I'd have been significantly more "stern" but none of them were church attenders.

We are admonished to NOT put up with this kind of stuff from church members, but we are not to judge the world. That's God's job.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
About 20 years ago I was driving my rented Trans Am convertible through Napa with four of my male local relatives in the car with me. We are all married. It was a beautiful day and as we are driving, we pass this extremely attractive young woman in a very revealing top and hot-pants like shorts. My cousins did everything but cat-call, and there may even have been something yelled from the car. I simply didn't participate and said something like, "c'mon guys, we have wives." and left it at that.

To be clear, if they were members of my church, I'd have been significantly more "stern" but none of them were church attenders.

We are admonished to NOT put up with this kind of stuff from church members, but we are not to judge the world. That's God's job.
What would you have said if it were your fellow church members?

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

-Do you rebuke him

Thank you.
Alex
ignore it -1 corth 5:12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

Unless they ask you about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

-Do you rebuke him

Thank you.
Alex
Proverbs 26:17 comes to mind for scenario 1.
Romans 2:4 comes to mind for scenario 2.
Since I experience sin as something quasi tangible (Romans 7:20) I tend to confess it (1 John 1:9) to disperse it. From observing the concept you are discussing, I understand that a verbal frontal assault so to speak tends to cause more corruption to be generated. However, if you can phrase sin in terms of how it causes harm, (Romans 13:10) this tends to make sense to the lay person, and tends to answer the questions such as what's the problem, what's your problem, who do you think you are? before they are asked.
Discussion based approaches may not work such as the case when dealing with someone who is using witchcraft maliciously while claiming to be part of a religion that says "harm none" . but being a peacemaker is part of being a child of God, so you have to at least try.

Upvote 0

Vivat Christus Rex

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
✟16,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When I said we must not condemn, I meant that we do not take upon ourselves that judgement which is God's alone - to think in our minds that they are evil and God will judge them as evil, for example. God will do what is right, but that is none of our business. I imagine many Christians can think back to a point before they had Christ in their lives that they would not want to be judged on who they were at that moment.

There may be a time and place to rebuke sin. But it is not our job to go around openly rebuking everyone of sin. It is the job of the Holy Spirit to convict them. Otherwise we are just so much noise, driving them away from the Body.

Ok I'm not the best at this but I am trying to become stronger at it.
This is absolutely how I see it. It is the Catholic people's duty to rebuke SIN not sinners. So calling out a sinful act is demanded by God. We are to be the light of the world which means we burn evil out of it. The sin that is witnessed is not against you it is against GOD! Call them on it for if they hated me how much more will they hate you. A true witness to the faith tells Herodotus you are committing adultery and sinning against God. Then let the chips fall where they may if the insult you oh well at least you still have your head. Pray for us John the Baptist that the Catholic world may regain your zeel.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

-Do you rebuke him

Scenario one, I would just ignore it since other people's lifestyles and choices aren't my business. Scenario two, it would depend on the circumstances and what the friend would be asking. I would try to give my advice depending on what they are asking me.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Ok I'm not the best at this but I am trying to become stronger at it.
This is absolutely how I see it. It is the Catholic people's duty to rebuke SIN not sinners. So calling out a sinful act is demanded by God. We are to be the light of the world which means we burn evil out of it. The sin that is witnessed is not against you it is against GOD! Call them on it for if they hated me how much more will they hate you. A true witness to the faith tells Herodotus you are committing adultery and sinning against God. Then let the chips fall where they may if the insult you oh well at least you still have your head. Pray for us John the Baptist that the Catholic world may regain your zeel.

I think I understand what you are saying. Though I'm not Catholic so I can't comment on what Catholicism teaches about it.

I guess I can't agree with you in a blanket sense. Sometimes, yes, it may be necessary. Sometimes it may be our place. But bottom line, our duty is to see to our own salvation and to do whatever we can to further the salvation of others. It may be that we can warn in such a way as to benefit both self and others spiritually, or at least benefit them with the least harm possible to ourselves.

But there are also ways we can call out sin that do nothing except feed our own pride and self-righteousness while increasing resentment and opposition to God in others. We won't be able to stand before God and defend those acts like willful children, following the letter of the law while trampling the spirit of the law underfoot, unless He excuses our ignorance in His mercy.

We should always seek to grow in wisdom, knowledge, and love, and our words and actions should be only for the benefit of others.

Very few are called to condemn godlessness in the world - the world IS godless by its very fallen nature. St. John the Baptist, the Forerunner of Christ Himself, had a very special mission. We would be wiser to listen to the Apostle's teaching toward the faithful (which is who we are) rather than try to assume the mantle of the greatest prophet the world had ever known, without being given that assignment by God. (And if we believe we have been given such an assignment by God, we seriously need to have a talk with our spiritual elders.)

I'm NOT saying that's what you personally are doing. That's just how I see the lines being drawn.

Besides - sin will not be eradicated from the world by anything less than the second coming of Christ Himself. Though with that said, I certainly agree that any good we can bring, through prayers, acts of love, etc. is worth doing to combat that evil.

Peace to you, and may God be with you.

Upvote 0