How should Christians respond in the face of apparent sin?

Oct 23, 2017
New Jersey
✟16,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I understand what you are saying. Though I'm not Catholic so I can't comment on what Catholicism teaches about it.

I guess I can't agree with you in a blanket sense. Sometimes, yes, it may be necessary. Sometimes it may be our place. But bottom line, our duty is to see to our own salvation and to do whatever we can to further the salvation of others. It may be that we can warn in such a way as to benefit both self and others spiritually, or at least benefit them with the least harm possible to ourselves.

But there are also ways we can call out sin that do nothing except feed our own pride and self-righteousness while increasing resentment and opposition to God in others. We won't be able to stand before God and defend those acts like willful children, following the letter of the law while trampling the spirit of the law underfoot, unless He excuses our ignorance in His mercy.

We should always seek to grow in wisdom, knowledge, and love, and our words and actions should be only for the benefit of others.

Very few are called to condemn godlessness in the world - the world IS godless by its very fallen nature. St. John the Baptist, the Forerunner of Christ Himself, had a very special mission. We would be wiser to listen to the Apostle's teaching toward the faithful (which is who we are) rather than try to assume the mantle of the greatest prophet the world had ever known, without being given that assignment by God. (And if we believe we have been given such an assignment by God, we seriously need to have a talk with our spiritual elders.)

I'm NOT saying that's what you personally are doing. That's just how I see the lines being drawn.

Besides - sin will not be eradicated from the world by anything less than the second coming of Christ Himself. Though with that said, I certainly agree that any good we can bring, through prayers, acts of love, etc. is worth doing to combat that evil.

Peace to you, and may God be with you.
I guess the area where I'm having trouble understanding is this:

I understand that we shouldn't be going around like a sheriff pointing out peoples sin or disciplining them in order to change their behavior if they're unbelievers. However, we must judge the people to the point that they're either believers or unbelievers though maybe not whether they are saved or not. People who are lost, are we not to share the gospel with them? And is not part of the gospel to show them that they are sinful and under the wrath of God and defiled before Him?

I have another question but I have to think about how to word it first.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I understand that we shouldn't be going around like a sheriff pointing out peoples sin or disciplining them in order to change their behavior if they're unbelievers. However, we must judge the people to the point that they're either believers or unbelievers though maybe not whether they are saved or not. People who are lost, are we not to share the gospel with them? And is not part of the gospel to show them that they are sinful and under the wrath of God and defiled before Him?

This is more anecdotal, but I have heard it from others as well as experienced it myself.

In my experience, it is far more effective to BE the light before them. This takes time and investing in people's lives. It's not "drive-by evangelization". But if you truly love people, and truly love God, and live out your convictions, joyfully, even when it's not easy or requires sacrifice from you - people notice and they are drawn to it. And when Christianity AS A PEOPLE live this way, people notice even faster. One of two things will happen. If they are open, they will ask and be drawn to God. If they are opposed, they will withdraw, often attacking on the way trying to knock down the Christian's peace or faith. If we maintain our peace and faith in love, then they have something to remember as the Holy Spirit works with them. It is God who converts the soul, not us.

On the other hand, nearly every time I have seen Christians simply condemn sinners, they then feel they have further reason to reject Christianity, their hearts are further hardened, and perhaps they never come to faith.

What did Jesus do? Did He walk around condemning the tax collectors, harlots, the woman caught in adultery, the woman at the well, drunkards? He did not. He ate with them, He healed them, He brought the Kingdom of God near to them, and they were converted. His anger and harsh words were only for the self-righteous and religious who barred the way for hearts who would have sought Him. That is who we do NOT want to be.

Reactions: lettuce
Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
New Jersey
✟16,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is more anecdotal, but I have heard it from others as well as experienced it myself.

In my experience, it is far more effective to BE the light before them. This takes time and investing in people's lives. It's not "drive-by evangelization". But if you truly love people, and truly love God, and live out your convictions, joyfully, even when it's not easy or requires sacrifice from you - people notice and they are drawn to it. And when Christianity AS A PEOPLE live this way, people notice even faster. One of two things will happen. If they are open, they will ask and be drawn to God. If they are opposed, they will withdraw, often attacking on the way trying to knock down the Christian's peace or faith. If we maintain our peace and faith in love, then they have something to remember as the Holy Spirit works with them. It is God who converts the soul, not us.

On the other hand, nearly every time I have seen Christians simply condemn sinners, they then feel they have further reason to reject Christianity, their hearts are further hardened, and perhaps they never come to faith.

What did Jesus do? Did He walk around condemning the tax collectors, harlots, the woman caught in adultery, the woman at the well, drunkards? He did not. He ate with them, He healed them, He brought the Kingdom of God near to them, and they were converted. His anger and harsh words were only for the self-righteous and religious who barred the way for hearts who would have sought Him. That is who we do NOT want to be.
I definitely agree that living a healthy Christian life and being light and salt is definitely vital for evangelism not only to be a light, but also to show our genuine nature. I can't agree, however, that this should be our only mode of evangelism. God commands us to go into the world and preach the gospel.

Romans 10:13-17
13 For “whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?
15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:

“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!”

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

How can people know what they are being saved from if they don't understand they are sinners before God? How can they repent if they have nothing to repent from? Is it not our duty to expose sin for what it is. Though it may not be our job to go around condemning people. They are condemned already. Is it not our job to warn them of their condemnation before God?

Upvote 0

Vivat Christus Rex

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
✟16,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

The unbelievers need the truth but many won't accept just as protestants walk away from John 6 when Jesus said eat my flesh and drink my blood or you have no life in me. I believe if we are following Jesus then others that claim that walk need rebuked when they mortally sin I know though I have no right to speak on matters I have not purified in my life as the speck and beam He speaks of clean sin from your self then help others. But always with the virtue of compassion. But is it not compassion to bring to light the areas where someone is not living up to their baptismal promises to hate Satan and sin?

Upvote 0

Vivat Christus Rex

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
✟16,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I definitely agree that living a healthy Christian life and being light and salt is definitely vital for evangelism not only to be a light, but also to show our genuine nature. I can't agree, however, that this should be our only mode of evangelism. God commands us to go into the world and preach the gospel.

14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?

16 But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed our report?” 17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

How can people know what they are being saved from if they don't understand they are sinners before God? How can they repent if they have nothing to repent from? Is it not our duty to expose sin for what it is. Though it may not be our job to go around condemning people. They are condemned already. Is it not our job to warn them of their condemnation before God?
Good points but this idea of let's not tell people that they are acting contrary to God is how we have ended up with no fault divorce, abortion, homosexual becoming rampant in society. Sodem and gamorra were destroyed for less then the world commits now and the generation of the flood was not wiped out until they wrote marriage documents for men to men or men to beasts. God will be mocked no longer. Vivat Christus Rex

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

It may be our place, when they are ready to hear and ready to hear it from us. But that can't come from advice over a forum. Every case is different. Most of the time people really do recognize they are in sin. The Holy Spirit does the job of convicting. There may be some cases where they truly are confused and need information (and the world does try to push people into confusion) ... but most of the time they truly already know. They need to be brought to the point of being ready to do something about it. Without that, they will only keep justifying their sin to themselves, no matter what we may say.

I am of course speaking only in general terms. Every case needs its own discernment. Understanding general principles helps, but this is not a simple cookie-cutter thing.

Upvote 0

Vivat Christus Rex

Oct 25, 2017
Colorado
✟16,054.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It may be our place, when they are ready to hear and ready to hear it from us. But that can't come from advice over a forum. Every case is different. Most of the time people really do recognize they are in sin. The Holy Spirit does the job of convicting. There may be some cases where they truly are confused and need information (and the world does try to push people into confusion) ... but most of the time they truly already know. They need to be brought to the point of being ready to do something about it. Without that, they will only keep justifying their sin to themselves, no matter what we may say.

I am of course speaking only in general terms. Every case needs its own discernment. Understanding general principles helps, but this is not a simple cookie-cutter thing.
I'm not advocating running around and damming people by any means. I will give an example I had happen with me. I work with a pagen who's wife is a witch, literally, and he told on of my other coworkers that named X that X givith and X takeith away. I told him that was blasphemy by attributing a virtue of God to a human creature. He fell silent for over a half hour either cursing me in his mind or contemplating what he had said either way it affected him and I did not say he was going to hell I just said he had sinned against the Lord.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm not advocating running around and damming people by any means. I will give an example I had happen with me. I work with a pagen who's wife is a witch, literally, and he told on of my other coworkers that named X that X givith and X takeith away. I told him that was blasphemy by attributing a virtue of God to a human creature. He fell silent for over a half hour either cursing me in his mind or contemplating what he had said either way it affected him and I did not say he was going to hell I just said he had sinned against the Lord.
I can understand addressing that.

I'm not saying this btw to say "my way is better" ... just that I have a slightly different approach. I would probably express surprise that he chose to speak in that form and ask if he knew where it came from. And let the discussion lead from there. When necessary I do express disapproval - usually in the very true form that I am concerned for them and what they are doing, even if they don't realize it. It takes time. But I find people actually being open to what I say when they realize it comes because I really care.

I likewise have little patience for those who horribly pervert Christianity, but while claiming the name of Christ (in some sense, as they are often of a sort that deny His Divinity and so are not actually Christian in that sense) ... and I mean serious perversion (such as pantheons of Gods or calling God evil or denying the whole of Scripture), not the kinds of differences denominations subscribe to. These appear to embrace their chosen deep heresy and mock Christianity while trying to replace actual Christian beliefs in others, and that I find it difficult to stand for.

But sinning Christians, and those who don't yet know God, I try to see as God sees them - surely beloved, and in need of some kind of help, which if I can provide, I try to.

Upvote 0

Joy

May 21, 2004
B'ham
✟1,403,923.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
MOD HAT ON

262241_97344f3feba7d2020816cbb9e9ef87d8.jpeg

Your Thread

has been Cleaned
and moved from

Christian Advice

To

Christian Philosophy
and Ethics

This is a

More Appropriate Forum

For this Subject

MOD HAT OFF

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums