How should Christians respond in the face of apparent sin?

Oct 23, 2017
New Jersey
✟16,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's a questions that I've been debating within myself. How should a Christian react to the flagrant and blatant sin of an unbeliever? Perhaps some of you have insight along with scripture or personal experience.

(Staff Edit)
Let me give you a scenario to further illustrate my questions:

Suppose that you have a friend who openly lusts after women. And tries to converse with you about it in a way to get you to join in.
-Do you just ignore him and change the subject.
-Do you rebuke him
-Do you not rebuke him, but explain to him your point of view.

There are other possible scenarios that I give, but my main question is. How should a Christian respond to the blatant sin of an unbeliever. What does God command and what is our duty before Him?

Thank you.
Alex

Last edited by a moderator:

A_Thinker

Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟931,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a questions that I've been debating within myself. How should a Christian react to the flagrant and blatant sin of an unbeliever? Perhaps some of you have insight along with scripture or personal experience.

There are other possible scenarios that I give, but my main question is. How should a Christian respond to the blatant sin of an unbeliever. What does God command and what is our duty before Him?
(staff edit)

Thank you.
Alex

(staff edit)

In your scenario, I would, ultimately, tell my friend that I don't live my life that way, ... and why.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

(Staff Edit)
Let me give you a scenario to further illustrate my questions:

Thank you.
Alex

Hello, and welcome to CF!

Most importantly, we should not be shocked or scandalized at the sin of unbelievers, in the sense that we condemn them. If they don't have the grace of God acting in their lives, why would we expect them to behave as if they do?

Certainly we should pray for them, with love and concern.

Disapproving glances, words of condemnation, and so on will probably only build walls between them and the Body of Christ, because they will assume they are already judged, or they will love their sin too much to simply embrace the opposite, which is the only view we give them in that case.

At the same time, we are to protect ourselves from temptation (of any kind, not only their particular sin, but it could engender other kinds of sin by exposing ourselves to it) and not be drawn in. We cannot participate, or sit by observing in a way that implies approval. It depends on the situation, but we may have to politely remove ourselves.

We want to offer hope, and healing from the pain and destruction that always comes as a result of sin, sooner or later. But sometimes it is a matter of timing. Sometimes the best we can do is make it clear that we love them by not condemning, yet also make it clear that there is something better we aspire to by not participating.

Sometimes words can go along with it. It depends how ready the person is to hear them. It takes sensitivity and the help of God to navigate that part of it. I can't answer a hypothetical to really explain it.

I hope this helps a little. God be with you, and again, welcome to CF!

Reactions: lettuce
Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
New Jersey
✟16,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, and welcome to CF!
Most importantly, we should not be shocked or scandalized at the sin of unbelievers, in the sense that we condemn them. If they don't have the grace of God acting in their lives, why would we expect them to behave as if they do?

What do you mean by condemn? Is it not the responsibility of a believer to rebuke those who sin?

"Ezekiel 33:8 When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand."

2 Timothy 4:2 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
(Staff Edit)

In the (Staff Edit) scenario I would ask YOU why you consider that person a friend?

Dropping friends like that is difficult especially when 1 in 4 "CHRISTIAN MEN" are engaged in inappropriate contentography in one manner or another. I suggest studying Scripture for yourself so you know the verses to share, and perhaps offering to go to counseling with him?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
What do you mean by condemn? Is it not the responsibility of a believer to rebuke those who sin?

"Ezekiel 33:8 When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand."

2 Timothy 4:2 2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.
When I said we must not condemn, I meant that we do not take upon ourselves that judgement which is God's alone - to think in our minds that they are evil and God will judge them as evil, for example. God will do what is right, but that is none of our business. I imagine many Christians can think back to a point before they had Christ in their lives that they would not want to be judged on who they were at that moment.

There may be a time and place to rebuke sin. But it is not our job to go around openly rebuking everyone of sin. It is the job of the Holy Spirit to convict them. Otherwise we are just so much noise, driving them away from the Body.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
New Jersey
✟16,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When I said we must not condemn, I meant that we do not take upon ourselves that judgement which is God's alone - to think in our minds that they are evil and God will judge them as evil, for example. God will do what is right, but that is none of our business. I imagine many Christians can think back to a point in their lives before they had Christ in their lives that they would not want to be judged on who they were at that moment.

There may be a time and place to rebuke sin. But it is not our job to go around openly rebuking everyone of sin. It is the job of the Holy Spirit to convict them. Otherwise we are just so much noise, driving them away from the Body.
Okay, I understand your point about condemnation then and I agree. But if it's not our job to always go around an openly rebuke people of sin. Is it ever our job. Is it not our job to preach the gospel and if so does this not include rebuke or warning of sin?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I understand your point about condemnation then and I agree. But if it's not our job to always go around an openly rebuke people of sin. Is it ever our job. Is it not our job to preach the gospel and if so does this not include rebuke or warning of sin?
It certainly can be our job to do so.

But honestly, more often we may be called to deal with sin among other believers. And even then ... there is SO MUCH danger to ourselves when we do so, we possibly tempt ourselves to pride in various ways, or even risk being drawn into the temptation, along with other risks - that God would be much more likely to call one who is at least somewhat humbled to do it. A very good test is ... if you yourself WANT to rebuke someone's sin, you probably aren't the person to do it. Itching to correct someone is a kind of temptation. It should only be done in love, and humility, and with watching oneself, lest we ourselves fall (into their sin or some other).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 23, 2017
New Jersey
✟16,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It certainly can be our job to do so.

But honestly, more often we may be called to deal with sin among other believers. And even then ... there is SO MUCH danger to ourselves when we do so, we possibly tempt ourselves to pride in various ways, or even risk being drawn into the temptation, along with other risks - that God would be much more likely to call one who is at least somewhat humbled to do it. A very good test is ... if you yourself WANT to rebuke someone's sin, you probably aren't the person to do it. Itching to correct someone is a kind of temptation. It should only be done in love, and humility, and with watching oneself, lest we ourselves fall (into their sin or some other).
Thanks for your response. I think that I have a fuller understanding now.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Let me give you some scenarios to further illustrate my questions:

1. Suppose you're just walking down the street and you see a couple of strangers committing a homosexual act.
-Do you just ignore them and keep walking.
-Do you give them a glance of disapproval.
-Do you openly rebuke them?
-Do you ignore them personally but pray for them
-Or do you have an alternative response?

2. Suppose that you have a friend who openly lusts after women. And tries to converse with you about it in a way to get you to join in.
-Do you just ignore him and change the subject.
-Do you rebuke him
-Do you not rebuke him, but explain to him your point of view.

Thank you.
Alex

1 Corinthians 5:12-13 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Is it not those inside the church whom you are to judge? 13 God judges those outside. “Purge the evil person from among you.”

We can only judge those we have authority over or those who recognize our love for them, otherwise they won't care what we have to say and will only resent us for it. So we can judge those who in the church and gently restore those who are caught in sin because they recognize our love and God's authority over them, but people who don't believe in the existence of God or the concept of sin are not going to care whether God has said that what they are doing is a sin. However, the way that we can judge those who are not in the church is not by saying that their actions are wrong in our eyes, but to act in a way that causes them to see their actions as being wrong in their own eyes (Matthew 5:38-48, Romans 12:20).

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: A_Thinker
Upvote 0

Little Lantern

Be encouraged! Christ has overcome the world!
Supporter
Sep 14, 2017
USA
✟223,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Totally agree.
Amen. Great points, @~Anastasia~, and good wisdom!

Upvote 0

lettuce

Oct 17, 2017
new york
✟21,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The Apostle Paul didn't preach to condemn and Jesus didn't come to condemn the world so if Paul isn't preaching condemnation and Jesus didn't give condemnation, why would we condemn?

Only grace will teach us how to live, Titus 2:12.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 23, 2017
New Jersey
✟16,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Apostle Paul didn't preach to condemn and Jesus didn't come to condemn the world so if Paul isn't preaching condemnation and Jesus didn't give condemnation, why would we condemn?

Only grace will teach us how to live, Titus 2:12.
I agree, but I wasn't talking about condemning those who sin, but rebuking them. There is a big difference between condemnation and rebuke.

Upvote 0

lettuce

Oct 17, 2017
new york
✟21,522.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I agree, but I wasn't talking about condemning those who sin, but rebuking them. There is a big difference between condemnation and rebuke.

Ok, and the Apostle Paul does rebuke in Galatians 3 to the church in Galatia but he doesn't rebuke because of sinfulness but rebukes the believers for mixing law and grace. Where in the Bible is there rebuking for someone's sinfulness whether believer or non-believer? And, does rebuking someone's actions bring that person under condemnation? Are we to make ourselves God's sheriff and if yes, how does that benefit anyone?

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
New Jersey
✟16,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Acts 8:20-23 “But Peter said to him, “Your money perish with you, because you thought that the gift of God could be purchased with money! You have neither part nor portion in this matter, for your heart is not right in the sight of God. Repent therefore of this your wickedness, and pray God if perhaps the thought of your heart may be forgiven you.
For I see that you are poisoned by bitterness and bound by iniquity.”

Acts 13:10 “and said, “O full of all deceit and all fraud, you son of the devil, you enemy of all righteousness, will you not cease perverting the straight ways of the Lord?”

1 Tim 5:20 “Those who are sinning rebuke in the presence of all, that the rest also may fear.”

I don't think the spirit of rebuking is to is to condemn someone, but to warn them, to correct them, to build them up, especially if they are unrepentant of the sin. It's not to put ourselves above them or to say that they are condemned to hell. I think maybe we have a miscommunication as to what rebuke is and what the intentions are.
I define rebuke as a correction or warning in order to uphold the truth or to build someone up. It's done with grace and kindness. Of course we are unable to convict someones heart; that is the job of the Holy Spirit. But I think it is also our responsibility to warn people of their sin whether they are unbelieving or believing. It's not that we're God's sheriff going around rebuking everyone we see doing wrong. But in the correct time or place maybe God calls us to do this.

I'm just thinking this through so if there's something I'm completely missing. Please correct me.

Reactions: lettuce
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Notice carefully ...

The Apostles rebuked directly in some cases. The other quote was Paul writing to Timothy, instructing him in how to shepherd his flock.

We are not all Apostles, shepherds, etc. They are certainly a general example for all of us, but the context of what we read in the Scriptures must always be considered. What the Apostles were responsible to do, what certain men were ordained to do, is not necessarily the job of every person.

Elsewhere we receive instruction for ourselves - Gal. 6:1 - Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness, considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. These are the instructions to us - if one of our Christian brothers is sinning, the one to rebuke him should be spiritually mature, should do so in meekness, taking care, because it is a danger even to him (being more spiritual than others).

So no, it is not the job of every Christian to go about rebuking every sin, especially not sin outside the Church. It requires a mature Christian, should be handled with gentleness, and with an awareness that even then, there is danger for the one rebuking. It is unwise - very unwise - to want to be quick with rebuking others. There are few ways to so quickly establish a root of self-righteousness and pride in oneself, and pride is a much more soul-damaging sin (and more difficult to overcome) than almost any other. This is not a job we should desire or relish - but rather one that should only be assumed in cases of necessity, when no one more qualified is available, and for a sin sufficiently destructive that love demands a warning - yet at the same time if it is not done in love and humility, it may well damage one or both persons involved, and bear no fruit.

Upvote 0
Oct 23, 2017
New Jersey
✟16,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Notice carefully ...

The Apostles rebuked directly in some cases. The other quote was Paul writing to Timothy, instructing him in how to shepherd his flock.

We are not all Apostles, shepherds, etc. They are certainly a general example for all of us, but the context of what we read in the Scriptures must always be considered. What the Apostles were responsible to do, what certain men were ordained to do, is not necessarily the job of every person.

Elsewhere we receive instruction for ourselves - Gal. 6:1 - Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such a one in the spirit of meekness, considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted. These are the instructions to us - if one of our Christian brothers is sinning, the one to rebuke him should be spiritually mature, should do so in meekness, taking care, because it is a danger even to him (being more spiritual than others).

So no, it is not the job of every Christian to go about rebuking every sin, especially not sin outside the Church. It requires a mature Christian, should be handled with gentleness, and with an awareness that even then, there is danger for the one rebuking. It is unwise - very unwise - to want to be quick with rebuking others. There are few ways to so quickly establish a root of self-righteousness and pride in oneself, and pride is a much more soul-damaging sin (and more difficult to overcome) than almost any other. This is not a job we should desire or relish - but rather one that should only be assumed in cases of necessity, when no one more qualified is available, and for a sin sufficiently destructive that love demands a warning - yet at the same time if it is not done in love and humility, it may well damage one or both persons involved, and bear no fruit.
That makes sense.

Upvote 0