Derek Meyer

Feb 25, 2016
Pretoria
✟17,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The earth is 4.543 billion years old. So why are your rocks only 3.5 billion years old? "
The rocks I, me, personally, studied are at least 3.5 billion years old. So, according to me, personally, the earth is at least 3.5 billion years old.

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The rocks I, me, personally, studied are at least 3.5 billion years old. So, according to me, personally, the earth is at least 3.5 billion years old.
How do you know that? There are variations in nuclear decay rates and the rate is not consistent. So you need a way to verify your results.

Upvote 0

Derek Meyer

Feb 25, 2016
Pretoria
✟17,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do you know that? There are variations in nuclear decay rates and the rate is not consistent. So you need a way to verify your results.
Sure, I can. The exploration and mining companies who have been operating in the area use old-earth models and those models work. Nothing better than spending millions on predicting what's going to be found underground and then find what was predicted.

Reactions: Davian
Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you believe everything you are told?
I do if what I am told is in the Bible. Of course not everyone understands the Bible. You have to have the Holy Spirit of God to guide you and to lead you into the truth. If you are talking about evidence based truth then you have to weight the evidence. Sometimes the evidence is overwhelming. So on an intuitive level we need to be lead by the Holy Spirit of God. On an analytical level the evidence needs to be substantial.

When your talking about Heaven I go by what makes me feel better. If I am comforted by thinking that I am going to see my lost love ones then what is the harm in me being comforted by that? If it makes me feel better to imagine a perfect world with all love and no hate then what is wrong with wanting to think about what a world like that would be like?

My dorm father in high school lost an eye in a Polish prisoner of war camp. At the end of WW2 Hitler was getting desperate and he was sending 12 year old boys to the front to fight the war. A very good friend of mine had his foot blown off by a claymore mine in Vietnam. I am sure you deal with a lot of pain and suffering in the work you do. A part of me wants to think that there is a Heaven where there is no more pain, misery and suffering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
We are told that in heaven the roads are paved with Gold.

Well that's just absurd... gold is a notoriously useless building material. It's soft, it's dense, it deforms, it tarnishes..

Upvote 0

joshua 1 9

Site Supporter
May 11, 2015
Northern Ohio
✟314,577.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well that's just absurd... gold is a notoriously useless building material. It's soft, it's dense, it deforms, it tarnishes..
A rock is a rock. Paving material be it cement or asphalt contains crushed rock. "The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass." Rev 21:21

I have worked with epoxy and turquoise. The strength is in the epoxy not in the turquoise.

0-1000x747.jpg

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
A rock is a rock. Paving material be it cement or asphalt contains crushed rock. "The twelve gates were twelve pearls, each gate made of a single pearl. The great street of the city was of gold, as pure as transparent glass." Rev 21:21

I have worked with epoxy and turquoise. The strength is in the epoxy not in the turquoise.

Sounds like the gold itself is pointless...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Babel tried that, and got scattered worse than pencil shavings in a hurricane.

Two things:

1: The fact that God was afraid enough to act shows that yes, it can be done.
2: What was once scattered has long since been reformed... language barriers aren't as crippling as they once were.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Two things:

1: The fact that God was afraid enough to act shows that yes, it can be done.

Hmm... you think he was afraid? I saw it as a pre-warp society playing with technology and they are no where near fully understanding, like a baby playing with a nuclear weapon.

Of course it can be done; anything is possible. Should it be done, and should it be done now is the important issue.

2: What was once scattered has long since been reformed... language barriers aren't as crippling as they once were.

Which is why the "crazy Christians" think we are closer to the/an end of an age. We still use monopoly money that isn't backed by real worth. We still fight over resources inherent very the earth. We still exploit each other on an individual bases. Imagine how much of a hell it would be if thigs weren't retarded to the point of a snail pace. Just like today, we would be fighting over who should and shouldn't have temporal translation technology, who could "jump," how far someone could "jump," and the reasoning for "jumping." We would destroy each other quicker than we are doing now - with the simple knowledge of how to separate atoms.

We just barely discovered neutrinos, which we (think we) know is responsible for weak force (radiation.) We don't even fully understand the neutrino flavor oscillation, their existence as their own antiparticle. The Standard Model still has neutrinos as massless (which they arent.)

If, in science fiction we see other races have the wherewithal such that they don't interact with "young races" who are pre-warp, or pre-space flight, why would you think The Entity who is supposed to be our Father would allow us to prematurely access these types of technologies? If I was in charge, I would do the same thing not out of fear my creation would surpass me, but because they would annihilate themselves.

We are still at cold war with the rudimentary knowledge of the atom. Until there is a significant paradigm shift in social, anthropological, cultural, psychological, physical, intellectual and spiritual capacity and awareness, it would be foolish at best to try to vigorously pursue things like jump technology, especially just for the sake of advancement.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Hmm... you think he was afraid?

I think the text makes it pretty clear...

I saw it as a pre-warp society playing with technology and they are no where near fully understanding, like a baby playing with a nuclear weapon. [/QUOTE]

"technology they were nowhere near understanding"? They were constructing a building. It was the Tower of Babel... not the Starship of Babel...

Besides, read the text itself:

Genesis 11:6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Sounds like fear to me...

Of course it can be done; anything is possible. Should it be done, and should it be done now is the important issue.

The only thing that stopped them last time was God... why would He stop it a second time?

He's not afraid, is He?

Which is why the "crazy Christians" think we are closer to the/an end of an age. We still use monopoly money that isn't backed by real worth. We still fight over resources inherent very the earth. We still exploit each other on an individual bases. Imagine how much of a hell it would be if thigs weren't retarded to the point of a snail pace.

Imagine how many of those issues we'd have resolved by now if we hadn't been hamstringed... God wasn't afraid of our failures, He was afraid of our success...

Just like today, we would be fighting over who should and shouldn't have temporal translation technology, who could "jump," how far someone could "jump," and the reasoning for "jumping." We would destroy each other quicker than we are doing now - with the simple knowledge of how to separate atoms.

Meanwhile, for thousands of years, we slaughtered each other over over far more pressing matters over whose god was the right one...

And interestingly enough, it was our knowledge of how to separate atoms which has prevented large-scale wars... MAD, don't you know.

Sure, we still have war, but we've learned restraint by necessity.

We just barely discovered neutrinos, which we (think we) know is responsible for weak force (radiation.) We don't even fully understand the neutrino flavor oscillation, their existence as their own antiparticle. The Standard Model still has neutrinos as massless (which they arent.)

And someday we'll have the details worked out -- assuming God doesn't sabotage us again.

If, in science fiction we see other races have the wherewithal such that they don't interact with "young races" who are pre-warp, or pre-space flight, why would you think The Entity who is supposed to be our Father would allow us to prematurely access these types of technologies?

Sounds like God's got a vested interest in keeping us perpetually weak and dependent... on Him, of course.

Those who have power and control often fear losing them.

If I was in charge, I would do the same thing not out of fear my creation would surpass me, but because they would annihilate themselves.

Well, it wasn't you who got quoted in Genesis 11:6.

We are still at cold war with the rudimentary knowledge of the atom.

And that knowledge, rudimentary as it is, has kept our cold war from turning hot.

Until there is a significant paradigm shift in social, anthropological, cultural, psychological, physical, intellectual and spiritual capacity and awareness, it would be foolish at best to try to vigorously pursue things like jump technology, especially just for the sake of advancement.

Well, that's certainly your opinion, but you can't stop curiosity, and you no matter how much you try to hinder the pursuit of knowledge (something religion has attempted for centuries), you will inevitably fail.

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I think the text makes it pretty clear...

I saw it as a pre-warp society playing with technology and they are no where near fully understanding, like a baby playing with a nuclear weapon.

"technology they were nowhere near understanding"? They were constructing a building. It was the Tower of Babel... not the Starship of Babel...

Besides, read the text itself:

Genesis 11:6 And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do.

Sounds like fear to me...

The only thing that stopped them last time was God... why would He stop it a second time?

He's not afraid, is He?

Imagine how many of those issues we'd have resolved by now if we hadn't been hamstringed... God wasn't afraid of our failures, He was afraid of our success...

Meanwhile, for thousands of years, we slaughtered each other over over far more pressing matters over whose god was the right one...

And interestingly enough, it was our knowledge of how to separate atoms which has prevented large-scale wars... MAD, don't you know.

Sure, we still have war, but we've learned restraint by necessity.

And someday we'll have the details worked out -- assuming God doesn't sabotage us again.

Sounds like God's got a vested interest in keeping us perpetually weak and dependent... on Him, of course.

Those who have power and control often fear losing them.

Well, it wasn't you who got quoted in Genesis 11:6.

And that knowledge, rudimentary as it is, has kept our cold war from turning hot.

Well, that's certainly your opinion, but you can't stop curiosity, and you no matter how much you try to hinder the pursuit of knowledge (something religion has attempted for centuries), you will inevitably fail.

Isn't it your opinion that God was afraid?

As far as cold war not turning hot: just wait. Depending on who you are speaking to, WWII never ended: a series of proxy wars happened under the deceptive umbrella of separate wars.

Upvote 0

lesliedellow

Sep 20, 2010
United Kingdom
Visit site
✟104,175.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
The fact that God was afraid enough to act shows that yes, it can be done.

The point of the story is that God thought they were getting ideas above their station, in wanting to be gods themselves. Genesis 3 is about essentially the same thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And TLK: Genesis 11:4 uses the word "tower," which is "migdal" in Hebrew, which means a pyramidal the castle/tower/building.

Top is "ro'sh" in Hebrew, which means "chief, head(ship), and/or pinnacle.

So, with context the verse describing the Tower of Babel is describing something that would allow them to have headship/captainship up to and into the heavens. That isn't just a skyscraper; it was technology.

Was Jacob's Ladder just a ladder, or something else? You have to understand the context in Hebrew and culture, or else you will just deduce superficial conclusions that don't make any sense - especially given the circumstances.

We areally not anywhere near the most technologically advanced age that has lived. Not at all. But, there is nothing new under the sun, so I am sure when we try to begin another Stargate - err... "tower," we will revisit similar destruction, confusion and scattering as Babel (it is evident now because we already have rudimentary jump technology.)

And, MAD was for the people, bud. Mutually Assured Destruction is not the reason we have not destroyed ourselves yet. Politics and money is the reason.

But, again: just wait, and you will see.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟393,562.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does that mean that if humans ever develop worm hole technology, we'll be able to get to heaven ourselves?
Babel tried that, and got scattered worse than pencil shavings in a hurricane.
??? Babel was working on Worm Hole Technology ??? Really !!!

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Isn't it your opinion that God was afraid?

Supported by the text -- a society that can do anything has no need of gods...

As far as cold war not turning hot: just wait. Depending on who you are speaking to, WWII never ended: a series of proxy wars happened under the deceptive umbrella of separate wars.

Depending on who I'm speaking to, 9/11 was caused by a conspiracy between the telephone company and the Girl Scouts...

And personally, I consider smaller, separate wars better than one large one... your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The point of the story is that God thought they were getting ideas above their station, in wanting to be gods themselves. Genesis 3 is about essentially the same thing.

And that thought... what? tickled Him? Amused Him? Saddened Him?

Upvote 0

tatteredsoul

Feb 4, 2016
New York/Int'l
✟14,624.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Supported by the text -- a society that can do anything has no need of gods...

Depending on who I'm speaking to, 9/11 was caused by a conspiracy between the telephone company and the Girl Scouts...

And personally, I consider smaller, separate wars better than one large one... your mileage may vary.

Is the idea your opinion is well supported also an opinion, or fact?

And, proxy wars serve more purpose on a clandestine political scale than the light show of a world war. When you see a world war, the main goals for each side is usually finished. Sun Tzu would greatly disagree with you about proxy wars being better.

Upvote 0