How old is the earth and the sun?

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
That doesn't make any sense. Some omni-everything God afraid?

Indeed -- but the text says what it says.

Even the powerful have fears...

Upvote 0

Derek Meyer

Feb 25, 2016
Pretoria
✟17,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The science that they spoon feed the masses is different from the Science that you study in the University
This one is funny. I stopped studying at University around 25 years ago. Since then I've been studying rocks...and, no, joshua, rocks are not all the same...just like I was taught at University...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Derek Meyer

Feb 25, 2016
Pretoria
✟17,192.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And your contribution to this question is?
To me, personally, from my research, the earth is at least 3.5 billion years old. That's the age of the rocks I personally studied. The earth would therefore be older than 3.5 billion years. That's my contribution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Astrophile
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
How do you know that? There are variations in nuclear decay rates and the rate is not consistent. So you need a way to verify your results.

There aren't variations in the nuclear decay rates of the isotopes used in radiometric dating at the temperatures that these rocks exist at. That is something you are making up.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
The earth is 4.543 billion years old. So why are your rocks only 3.5 billion years old? Your 3.5 billion year date was very near to the beginning of plate tectonics. "there was a transition 3.2 billion years ago, and rocks formed after that could be related to plate tectonic processes." http://www.livescience.com/31570-plate-tectonics-began.html#sthash.krCkAA2Y.dpuf

Planet formation started 4.5 billion years ago, which is why we say that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old. We know this from dating meteorites which are all 4.5 billion years old. They mark the point in our solar system's history when molten rock around our Sun's accretion disk first started to form solid rock.

Dating methods are able to tell us how long ago a rock went from molten rock to solid rock. The radiometric clock starts ticking the moment the rock solidifies. The clock is reset to zero when the rock is melted. That is what the age indicates. As you can see, rocks are still forming on the Earth from molten rock, so we would expect to see a range of ages from 4.5 billion years to present for the rocks we date.

Upvote 0

Astrophile

Aug 30, 2013
England
✟233,773.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Widowed
Planet formation started 4.5 billion years ago, which is why we say that the Earth is 4.5 billion years old. We know this from dating meteorites which are all 4.5 billion years old. They mark the point in our solar system's history when molten rock around our Sun's accretion disk first started to form solid rock.

To be more precise, the oldest solid materials in the solar system (chondrites and calcium-aluminium inclusions in meteorites) were formed 4567-4568 million years ago. These ages were obtained by Pb-Pb dating of meteoritic material. See A. Bouvier & M. Wadhwa, 2010; 'The age of the Solar System redefined by the oldest Pb-Pb age of a meteoritic inclusion, Nature Geoscience, 3, 637-41, and J.N. Connelly et al., 2012, 'The Absolute Chronology and Thermal Processing of Solids in the Solar Protoplanetary Disc', Science, 338, 651-655.

These meteoritic ages are in excellent agreement with the age of 4.57±0.11 Gyr obtained for the Sun from the frequencies of solar oscillations - see A. Bonnano et al., 2002, 'The age of the Sun and the relativistic corrections in the EOS', Astronomy and Astrophysics, 390, 1115-1118, http://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/full/2002/30/aa2598/aa2598.right.html .

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The earth is 4.543 billion years old. So why are your rocks only 3.5 billion years old? Your 3.5 billion year date was very near to the beginning of plate tectonics. "there was a transition 3.2 billion years ago, and rocks formed after that could be related to plate tectonic processes." http://www.livescience.com/31570-plate-tectonics-began.html#sthash.krCkAA2Y.dpuf
Obviously, not all materials on our planet register as the same age, yes? Furthermore, our atmosphere protects us from a lot of radiation exposure that the moon is constantly bombarded with, and in most age-determining methods, more radioactive materials will register as being younger. We also haven't worked with as much material from the moon as from Earth, so for all I know, there are rocks on the moon that would date as the same age as the Earth.

Upvote 0